Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 couldn't take 'em: 2017 Obituaries

2016 couldn't take 'em: 2017 Obituaries

New year, new thread.

William Christopher (AKA: Father Mulcahy) passed on New Years Day.

Mary Tyler Moore today.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

Mary Tyler Moore today.
    Poinsettia Bowl today too

Mary Tyler Moore today.
    I believe Mr. Christopher died 12/31/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I believe Mr. Christopher died 12/31/16

Oh maybe. I heard about it New Year's Day.

Butch Trucks, drummer and founding member for The Allman Brothers Band. He was 69.

I am sad to report that 2017 has taken our Ute brother and consummate Ute fan, Webmonkey.

I don't know any of the details other than what is on his Facebook page, which says he passed away at around 1pm this afternoon.

A Utah man he was! Ki yi!

Bill Paxton at a way too early age of 61.

Judge Wapner from the People's Court. Tough day for the legal community. He was 97.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Bill Paxton at a way too early age of 61.

In reading about Paxton:

Paxton was born in Fort Worth, Texas, in 1955. He accidentally entered the national spotlight at age 8, when he went to see President John F. Kennedy visit Dallas on November 22, 1963.
    A photo of Paxton hoisted above the crowd became a famous photo from the day of Kennedy's assassination.

https://twitter.com/JusticeWillett/s...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

2017 took Papa mUUser home to his maker. After HS, he briefly ran track at the U as a sprinter, then served in the Marine Corp during WWII in the Pacific. He loved being a Marine. Married 67 years. Lived only 10 minutes from the U in sugarhouse in the same home 65 years. Unbelievable husband and father -- great Ute who did it the right way.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    2017 took Papa mUUser home to his maker. After HS, he briefly ran track at the U as a sprinter, then served in the Marine Corp during WWII in the Pacific. He loved being a Marine. Married 67 years. Lived only 10 minutes from the U in sugarhouse in the same home 65 years. Unbelievable husband and father -- great Ute who did it the right way.
    I'm sorry for your loss, muuser. Looks like you're giving a sendoff to a remarkable man.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    I'm sad to hear of your loss. It does sound like he did it right. Semper Fidelis Marine! Godspeed, fair winds and following seas.

The greatest generation gets ever smaller. He sounds like a great Ute. Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden and Audioslave) died the same day.

Frank Deford is gone at age 78. We've lost a real giant of journalism, and not just sports journalism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.4429b9a59390

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Frank Deford is gone at age 78. We've lost a real giant of journalism, and not just sports journalism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.4429b9a59390
    Years ago I worked for HBO at Wimbledon and had the pleasure of working a bit with Frank Deford and got to know his daughter quite well.

He was one of the few guys that were part of the "talent" who was great to everyone, even industry nothings like me.

After he learned of our friendship with his daughter (who was also working an underling position like me) he invited me and my friend to come stay with them in their place in Connecticut. I kick myself to this day for not taking him up on it.

Sad to have heard of his passing.

Adam West, aka Batman. 88.

This would be awesome.

The three year-old son of former Ute colt Sampson, died yesterday in Utah County after being run over by a neighbor. The name of the family has not been released by the media, but think a good thought or say a prayer for Colt and his family. I know Colt fairly well. While he was at the U, his wife gave birth to their first child and my wife, then a nurse at Primary Children's, took care of her for a month in the Neonatal ICU. Things had a better outcome that time.

John Heard, the "Home Alone" dad. Age 72.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/269550902-story

--Yeats

I don't know how we missed this guy - Stephen Furst - Flounder in Animal House. I know it is not everyones cup of tea, but I think it is one of the funniest movies ever. Shortly after returning from my LDS mission I started dating the gal who would later become my wife. After a few dates she says, we are going to see a movie that will get you back to normal, Animal House. I had been a Sigma Nu pledge at the U before making some life changes and, although we did not know one another at the time, she had been a Pi Phi pledge. Sigma Nu wasn't quite Animal House, but it had some similar characters and great parties. http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/17/entert...bit/index.html

Ziggy Peacock, the legendary physics professor at the U.

Ziggy was a wonderful and inspirational professor who was quick to share a smile and and to demonstrate the 'magic' of physics. There is a good chance that many of us witnessed his experiments while at the U or as school children.

Ziggy passed away on July 26, 2017 at 73 years of age.

This link includes s video of his last physics show.

https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff...irst-bill-nye/

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Ziggy Peacock, the legendary physics professor at the U.

Ziggy was a wonderful and inspirational professor who was quick to share a smile and and to demonstrate the 'magic' of physics. There is a good chance that many of us witnessed his experiments while at the U or as school children.

Ziggy passed away on July 26, 2017 at 73 years of age.

This link includes s video of his last physics show.

https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff...irst-bill-nye/
    RIP. The u physics Dept will never be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Even heaven will feel like a step down for him.