Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: We love (to beat) LA! - The Southern California homestand

We love (to beat) LA! - The Southern California homestand

Two big games this week. Both top 40 RPI. As good a chance as we will have to boost our big dance resume. Hard to see us getting an at large if we go 0-2 here.

Has anyone watched USC this season? I have seen only a few minutes of a couple of games. In one of the games, whoever was calling it was raving about their deep bench.

Their resume is pretty thin. Lots of wins, but not any wins against teams headed to the tournament. Close loss against Cal looks good, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Has anyone watched USC this season? I have seen only a few minutes of a couple of games. In one of the games, whoever was calling it was raving about their deep bench.

Their resume is pretty thin. Lots of wins, but not any wins against teams headed to the tournament. Close loss against Cal looks good, I guess.
    I watched their games against Wyoming, Oregon, and Cal. They are certainly very talented and probably a team that would beat us in their building, or maybe it would be close. I think we can get them in the Huntsman Center though.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I watched Cal @ USC - agree they're pretty talented.

In that game, their 6-11 sophomore Metu was hitting mid range jumpers. He's still pretty young, I don't think he'll be that big of a threat at our place. Last year McLaughlin did damage against us, but Poeltl, Loveridge and Taylor responded.

Benny Boatwright is supposed to be close to coming back from a knee injury. He was a serious outside threat last year, too.

We should be able to hold them off, at the Hunty.

Utah is 0-3 vs tournament teams so far. We have 4-6 games remaining against tournament teams (plus the conference tournament):

USC, UCLA, Oregon x 2, and maybe Cal x 2 if they get in.

That makes USC a must win for us, and it means we have to beat UCLA and/or Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Utah is 0-3 vs tournament teams so far. We have 4-6 games remaining against tournament teams (plus the conference tournament):

USC, UCLA, Oregon x 2, and maybe Cal x 2 if they get in.

That makes USC a must win for us, and it means we have to beat UCLA and/or Oregon.
    We can't lose tonight. We know what's at stake here.

Why do I inherently hate Enfield? Has there been controversy around him or does he just have a punchable face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Why do I inherently hate Enfield? Has there been controversy around him or does he just have a punchable face?

I feel like he and Larry had some beef a while back...but I have no idea what it was about.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Anybody else lose the feed?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

After that first half I'm fairly certain these refs believe players should move when someone is driving.

Those first five minutes were total garbage. Next 15, pretty good. It'd be even better if we could eliminate their offensive rebounds at the rim.

I miss the continuation of my youth.

I'm listening to Riley at the airport. This is becoming a nice blowout. Of a ranked team!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm listening to Riley at the airport. This is becoming a nice blowout. Of a ranked team!
    Having a great night from three. Even Collette got in on the fun.

Boom!

Ucla at home is the game if the year. Should we spot them ten points? Seems to work alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I miss the continuation of my youth.

Sorry, that was on the floor.

I'm starting to think (as Don McLean said) that we could challenge for that 4th spot...it will take basically no WTF losses and at least a home split vs Oregon and UCLA.

Cal will have something to say about it as will others I'm sure.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I'm starting to think (as Don McLean said) that we could challenge for that 4th spot...it will take basically no WTF losses and at least a home split vs Oregon and UCLA.

Cal will have something to say about it as will others I'm sure.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Utes shot 53% from 3-point range tonight (9/17). Yowzers.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Sedrick Barefield was really good tonight.
    JoJo is not a good ball handler & Bonam is not a true point guard.

They might have to start Sedrick to get a better start--although the first few shots were good/close but just would not drop.

Is Enfield the worst coach in the league??
    USC acted like they had never seen Utah play a zone & at the half they made no adjustments.??

Great win but before we get to confident, USC is the type of team that loses these type of games. They need to shot well and be up-tempo to win because they don't play defense. Don't count on us shooting over 50% beyond the arc or overall against UCLA.

I will of course happily be wrong about all of that. This is a different team with Barefield and Collette on the floor.

Leaf vs kuzma! Battle of the double double, ball handling bigs.

Why do you guys say Daniels can't hit the three? He keeps hitting them and eventually it means he can hit them. How long's it been since we had a freshman as good as he is? as complete a player as he is? We'd have loved Delon Wright to hit threes like Daniels can.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Why do you guys say Daniels can't hit the three? He keeps hitting them and eventually it means he can hit them. How long's it been since we had a freshman as good as he is? as complete a player as he is? We'd have loved Delon Wright to hit threes like Daniels can.
    I'm pretty excited about him. He has size and springs. If he can keep shooting well he could be a Dillon Brooks type. Other teams will have to take him into account in their game planning.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-12-2017 at 10:44 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    He's shooting a great 3 point percentage, but he seems hesitant to take them. He has only attempted 16 on the season, which makes his percentage less statistically significant. Bonam, Zamora, Rawson, and Kuzma have all taken near or well over 40 attempts. Zamora is the only one shooting close to his percentage, but with 54 attempts, it easier to declare him a real 3 point threat. Daniels only seems to shoot them when wide open, or at the end of a shot clock. Opposing teams are not going to game plan for Daniels outside shooting.

That said, I'm very excited above it him. If he continues to hit wide open 3's, opponents will have to respect it, and it will open up driving opportunities for him, where he really shines.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Seattle,
    I'm really happy to be wrong about Daniels' shooting. I do think the shot looks a little uncomfortable. I compare the shot to the ease with which Barefield and Zamora shoot from distance or even Bonham and I think he needs some work. I know that sounds silly. He may be our most valuable player thus far. He is contributing in every facet of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    He's shooting a great 3 point percentage, but he seems hesitant to take them. He has only attempted 16 on the season, which makes his percentage less statistically significant. Bonam, Zamora, Rawson, and Kuzma have all taken near or well over 40 attempts. Zamora is the only one shooting close to his percentage, but with 54 attempts, it easier to declare him a real 3 point threat. Daniels only seems to shoot them when wide open, or at the end of a shot clock. Opposing teams are not going to game plan for Daniels outside shooting.

That said, I'm very excited above it him. If he continues to hit wide open 3's, opponents will have to respect it, and it will open up driving opportunities for him, where he really shines.
    And prior to the last two games (where he's 5-5) he was 2-11.

As Larry said, Daniels isn't someone you draw up 3 point plays for, or even think that's who should be shooting it, but he's making them. If he can build on that during his career he'll be deadly

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la...nt=oft01a-1li2

This article is worth it just to hear Stewart whine. Maybe he should have stayed home. He didn't bother to score.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSer View Post
    Very nice Ive always been curious about how a decade sounds, but Ive never been brave enough to try one. Are they anything like the old Gibson EB-0?
    No!!! Don't be a moron!!! You obviously don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Seattle,
    I'm really happy to be wrong about Daniels' shooting. I do think the shot looks a little uncomfortable. I compare the shot to the ease with which Barefield and Zamora shoot from distance or even Bonham and I think he needs some work. I know that sounds silly. He may be our most valuable player thus far. He is contributing in every facet of the game.
    I also am happy to be wrong.
    He shoots a ball with absolutely no spin--no wrist follow through. Which is against all shooting gurus advice. But he has the ability/touch to make them--same with his free throws & his floaters---they are knuckleballs that don't knuckle.

It will be interesting to see if anyone tries to alter his shot over the summer.