Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: We love (to beat) LA! - The Southern California homestand

Kuzma is so much better around the basket and the intermediate game that it frustrates me when he takes too many threes. That last three was clearly not the play. Credit UCLA for taking our first look away but there was time for more than a somewhat desperate hoist from Kuzma.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I've always been in your camp on this. But kuzma has been shooting a reasonable percentage so far in conference play.
    He's 7-21 so far in conference.

I do want him driving or posting up more than shooting from the outside.

33% from range is a threat. If he can pull a big out of the paint... do it. Collette would be far more effective if interior D's can't sag.

While Barefield has kind of diminished as a threat from distance, Daniels is the bigtime surprise. Wow! Where did *that* come from? He might be our 2nd best overall player, right now.

Zamora has also exceeded my expectations.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 01-15-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    So a lot of folks on Twitter are having a field day with our crowd for cheering so loud at the buzzer beating shot. I'm curious what others in attendance thought. For me, I got excited because I thought I heard whistles for a foul. Anyone else?
    Yeah, for a split second i seemed like there was a whistle. That's what everyone around me thought. I couldn't tell but I hoped....

Riley (Or Tommy Connor, I don't recall which) said it after the game: UCLA just made one more play than Utah.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Me too. But for whatever reason the coaches are letting him launch threes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Yeah, for a split second i seemed like there was a whistle. That's what everyone around me thought. I couldn't tell but I hoped....

Riley (Or Tommy Connor, I don't recall which) said it after the game: UCLA just made one more play than Utah.
    Connor also said last play option 1 was Collette who was open, but inbound passer missed him & that option 2 was Kuzma, but he made a mistake by shooting instead of driving to the hoop & scoring or drawing a foul.

LK today in paper: they can practice how long 5 seconds really is in an empty gym, but totally different with game on the line & everyone screaming.

Note that Altman did not call a timeout between Alford's miss and Brooks' game winning shot.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400915596
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Note that Altman did not call a timeout between Alford's miss and Brooks' game winning shot.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400915596
    Are you criticizing LK for calling a timeout against UCLA? I thought we had learned that Bonam called the TO and that the coaches had wanted the team to keep playing.

--Yeats

Are you criticizing LK for calling a timeout against UCLA? I thought we had learned that Bonam called the TO and that the coaches had wanted the team to keep playing.
    Either way, we gotta figure out how to be better in those end-of-game situations.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Either way, we gotta figure out how to be better in those end-of-game situations.
    Yes. It's been a long-standing Krysko weakness.

--Yeats

Bonham's confusion was the coaches' not the kid's fault. Don't they drill this in practice. Didn't they talk about it in the prior timeout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

A coach who blames a player for his own error is not cool. Character defect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Bonham's confusion was the coaches' not the kid's fault. Don't they drill this in practice. Didn't they talk about it in the prior timeout?
    I agree that Bonam should have known what to do in that situation and that the coaches should have drilled it into them. It's deficient coaching. You were extolling Altman's decision not to call a timeout in another game and I didn't understand why.

--Yeats

I agree that Bonam should have known what to do in that situation and that the coaches should have drilled it into them. It's deficient coaching. You were extolling Altman's decision not to call a timeout in another game and I didn't understand why.
    Troll

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Troll
    It never occurred to me that by agreeing with you I would throw you off your game. I'm going to have to do that more often.

--Yeats