Page 57 of 80 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2389

Thread: The Trump Presidency - Life In Interesting Times

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    No, he doesn't work in Washington anymore.
    Wouldn't being fired make him more likely to drop any bombs he has?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Wouldn't being fired make him more likely to drop any bombs he has?
    Not if he doesn't want to undermine and compromise an investigation. I have no idea what he has or doesn't have. The question I do have is this:

An FBI director is an appointment for 10 years. The position is supposed to be apolitical and an FBI director is supposed to have the latitude to act that way. What has Comey done now that would warrant an immediate termination? You might say the Clinton investigation, but then shouldn't there have been signals towards that end from the White House for months now?

Yet today subpoenas are issued to Flynn and his associates from the FBI investigation. Perhaps a coincidence, I don't know. Someone said 'The only thing worse for the FBIs credibility than retaining Comey was firing Comey." I think this is absolutely true. Do I trust a fair investigation is going to happen now? Absolutely not.

Here's a column that got it right months ago. See if you agree.

Resign, Mr. Comey

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wsj.c...mey-1477955914

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Why Trump was right to fire Comey. And why he was wrong. What a foolish man.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/16254/...ey-ben-shapiro

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Why Trump was right to fire Comey. And why he was wrong. What a foolish man.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/16254/...ey-ben-shapiro
    To me the "why" behind Comey's alleged incompetence is fascinating because this is not an incompetent man. This is a long time republican who was so good he was appointed by a heavily left leaning president and only had one opposing vote in the Senate.

If we remember back last summer, Loretta Lynch compromised herself with her tarmac meeting with Bill Clinton amidst the investigation of his wife. With that action right there Comey was instantly put in an impossible spot. If Lynch announces no prosecution of Hillary then the republican controlled congress is going to have a hay day on him and Lynch. So he has to do something unprecedented and announce the FBI doesn't recommend prosecution, something that just isn't done. They build the case the attorneys decide to pursue the case.

Then independent of this investigation they come across Hillary emails on Anthony Weiner's computer and Chaffetz and his crew had gotten word. So he is forced to announce it and then move through those emails again in furious fashion.

The beginning of his downfall happened with the incompetent and unethical Loretta Lynch. That to me is fascinating... the Clinton dust machine works again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me the "why" behind Comey's alleged incompetence is fascinating because this is not an incompetent man. This is a long time republican who was so good he was appointed by a heavily left leaning president and only had one opposing vote in the Senate.

If we remember back last summer, Loretta Lynch compromised herself with her tarmac meeting with Bill Clinton amidst the investigation of his wife. With that action right there Comey was instantly put in an impossible spot. If Lynch announces no prosecution of Hillary then the republican controlled congress is going to have a hay day on him and Lynch. So he has to do something unprecedented and announce the FBI doesn't recommend prosecution, something that just isn't done. They build the case the attorneys decide to pursue the case.

Then independent of this investigation they come across Hillary emails on Anthony Weiner's computer and Chaffetz and his crew had gotten word. So he is forced to announce it and then move through those emails again in furious fashion.

The beginning of his downfall happened with the incompetent and unethical Loretta Lynch. That to me is fascinating... the Clinton dust machine works again.

How incompetent is Trump to not know how bad this looks? Not to mention, how ignorant of presidential history must he be. Whether or not Comey should be fired is irrelevant. You simply should not do it now, in the middle of an investigation, from which you may well be indicted. Acting rashly, without concern for the consequences, is not acting decisively. It's unfathomable stupidity.

EDIT: More salient to Rockers point: you have to start to wonder if Bill Clinton didn't orchestrate all this, in part, to sabotage his wife's campaign for president?
    Last edited by tooblue; 05-10-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    How incompetent is Trump to not know how bad this looks? Not to mention, how ignorant of presidential history must he be. Whether or not Comey should be fired is irrelevant. You simply should not do it now, in the middle of an investigation, from which you may well be indicted. Acting rashly, without concern for the consequences, is not acting decisively. It's unfathomable stupidity.

EDIT: More salient to Rockers point: you have to start to wonder if Bill Clinton didn't orchestrate all this, in part, to sabotage his wife's campaign for president?
    Hillary would be surrounded by congressional interns and be completely busy running the country.

I would think Bill would be very disappointed with her loss.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Hillary would be surrounded by congressional interns and be completely busy running the country.

I would think Bill would be very disappointed with her loss.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Damn. Is that legit? The account is currently suspended.

Damn. Is that legit? The account is currently suspended.
    Some Googling has made me come to the conclusion that it isn't legit. That would've been awesome though.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post

I don't think that Clinton orchestrated this all, and certainly not to sabotage his wife's campaign. I'm saying that a chain of events that began with Loretta Lynch being compromised lead to the questionable decisions he had to make. I think Comey had choices of bad and worse and tried to chose the least bad.

Some Googling has made me come to the conclusion that it isn't legit. That would've been awesome though.
    Way funny... he also was only in the FBI for 4 years as its director. Before that he was an attorney (serving as a US attorney, deputy AG and private sector stuff).

How epic would that be though?

I don't think that Clinton orchestrated this all, and certainly not to sabotage his wife's campaign. I'm saying that a chain of events that began with Loretta Lynch being compromised lead to the questionable decisions he had to make. I think Comey had choices of bad and worse and tried to chose the least bad.
    I'd be an idiot to assign that level of machiavellian intelligence to Slick Willy, but hey, considering the current climate ... one conspiracy seems as plausible as the next.

Well, this should save the country a bunch of time and money. Case closed!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic..._medium=social

Interesting discussion tonight with my friend in the FBI. Said that there is a dark cloud hanging over the bureau right now and moral is very low with the Comey firing.

His opinion was that Comey had done a ton to bring back pride into the FBI and empowered people to do what was right.

He reiterated the story that most have heard that Trump sent his goon to deliver the letter to Comey, not realizing he was in LA. Comey apparently was speaking to people and got interrupted with the news.

Kind of sounds like another botched firing we know.

Apparently he was walked off like he was a criminal. What a mess.

With the whole Russian distraction now in the rear view mirror, it's finally time to focus on things that are really important.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/11/527924...aud-commission

Doyle McManus in the L.A. Times:

Hillary Clinton has a right to be a major voice in American politics — but maybe it's time she moved on

She has accused President Trump of pursuing what appears to be “a commitment to hurt so many people.” She called House Republicans’ healthcare bill “shameful.” She proclaimed herself “part of the resistance.” She’s traveling the country giving speeches. She’s reportedly organizing a new political action committee to raise money for Democratic causes. And she’s writing a book to explain her side of the 2016 presidential campaign. She says she doesn’t expect to run for president again. But she has been careful not to rule it out.

Clinton’s impulse to get back into the fight is understandable. Democratic politics has been the cause of her life, and she’s surely entitled to work through her grief over the campaign. If her book turns out to be a candid self-examination of what went wrong — a big if, based on her self-protective previous memoirs — that could be healthy for her party.

But by moving so fast and so visibly, and by keeping the door open to another presidential campaign, Clinton risks harming not only her own image, but the anti-Trump resistance she wants to help.
    The Clintons are like a fascinating species of creature found on a remote island: There's nothing else quite like them anywhere.

--Yeats

Doyle McManus in the L.A. Times:

Hillary Clinton has a right to be a major voice in American politics — but maybe it's time she moved on

The Clintons are like a fascinating species of creature found on a remote island: There's nothing else quite like them anywhere.

At this point, the Clintons are harming the democratic party. And they don't give a shit.

DevilDog will probably light me up for this but it's so hard for a lot of patriotic and conservative Republicans to keep watching this sort of nonsense by Trump.

Democratic Hypocrisy and Hysteria Don’t Make Trump Right

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ke-trump-right

--Yeats

Banned
    DevilDog will probably light me up for this but it's so hard for a lot of patriotic and conservative Republicans to keep watching this sort of nonsense by Trump.

Democratic Hypocrisy and Hysteria Don’t Make Trump Right

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ke-trump-right
    My problem with many of the old school "patriotic and conservative Americans" is simple... they do nothing. They accomplish nothing. Democrat light.

Banned
    This is the lunacy our nation has come to. NSFW Language

Banned
    We are that above (Don't believe me? Look at anything written by Tooblue)... against commitment like this. Funny yes, but committed to an ideal more than most Americans have ever been. Willing to die giving it his best shot. Meanwhile in Portland....

Try to notice his rifle.

https://www.funker530.com/one-legged-isis-fighter-sc1/
    Last edited by Devildog; 05-11-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Banned
    Hold your little sensitive, don't offend anyone at any cost nose... and watch shit get done. I also hope any no-do at any cost Congressional Republicans get their.... say anything to get reelected asses... booted too. Trump gets reelected.

LAUte are you enjoying John McCain?
    Last edited by Devildog; 05-11-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Hold your little sensitive, don't offend anyone at any cost nose... and watch shit get done. I also hope any no-do at any cost Congressional Republicans get their.... say anything to get reelected asses... booted too. Trump gets reelected.

LAUte are you enjoying John McCain?
    Lol.

--Yeats

I agree with this.

Fact is, we’ve had (at least) two norm-busting presidents with authoritarian impulses in a row. Both believe in ruling with a pen and a personality, disregarding process whenever it suits their political purposes. One was a thoughtful-sounding, charismatic force, and a talented fibber; a virtuoso at erecting strawmen and offering false choices. He pushed his party farther to the Left than it has ever been. The other is a clumsy and transparent fibber, an incompetent novice, pushing his party into whatever ideologically untethered position is catching his fancy at the moment. Only one of these men, however, was given a free pass by most people in the institutional media because his progressive ideological outlook pleases their sensibilities.

You don’t trust Donald Trump to name an FBI director, even though it’s within his purview to do so? Well, I don’t trust Barack Obama to enter into faux treaties with a bunch of nations without Senate approval or to unilaterally legalize millions of people without Congress. I understand that you find those unilateral decisions morally comforting, but if process and norms matter they should always matter. (An example of the opposite would be an ACLU lawyer who argues that Trump’s immigration order might have been constitutional had Hillary signed it. This undermines trust.)

While there is plenty of hypocrisy to go around, Democrats’ newfound adoration of checks and balances simply isn’t credible. And once that trust has been eroded, it’s difficult to regain it. Most Americans aren’t impressed by procedure. So why would they surrender power when they’re certain you will abuse it again four years from now?
    http://thefederalist.com/2017/05/11/...S4UFg.facebook

--Yeats

The interesting thing about Obama's propensity to do what he wanted with executive orders is that a lot of that stuff is easily undone by executive order, which Trump has been doing himself. Failure to build support through congress is a great way to having any sort of a legacy erased.

If Trump wanted to stop the Russia inquiry, firing Comey was the dumbest possible way to do that. Which makes me think that he didn't do it for that reason. He did it mostly on impulse. He was ticked off at Comey. That is pure Trump.

--Yeats

If Trump wanted to stop the Russia inquiry, firing Comey was the dumbest possible way to do that. Which makes me think that he didn't do it for that reason. He did it mostly on impulse. He was ticked off at Comey. That is pure Trump.

He did it for both reasons. Comey's testimony last week was the last straw in a series, and his decision was emotional and impulsive (shown by the fact his staff had no advance notice and had not laid the groundwork to justify it, and the explanations have shifted). But I think he thought that if he fired Comey the investigation would wind down, and a new director (hand-picked) wouldn't pursue it with the zeal that Trump attributes to Comey. He was naive or oblivious as to the repercussions. (as several reports said, he thought he would be applauded by all sides for the firing, esp. if he tied it to Hilary's emails), The CIA has been his enemy; the FBI his ally. That has changed dramatically.

but maybe Trump has won

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...p-russia-probe
    Last edited by concerned; 05-12-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Which is exactly why it caught his whole staff off guard and resulted in Spicer hiding in the shrubbery trying to get their messaging together.