Page 58 of 74 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2214

Thread: The Trump Presidency - Life In Interesting Times

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Which is exactly why it caught his whole staff off guard and resulted in Spicer hiding in the shrubbery trying to get their messaging together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In fairness to Spicer, the New York Times or Washington Post, I can't remember which, corrected that story. He stood by the bushes with his staff, but did not go inside or hide behind any bushes. He often acts like a dope, but he deserves fairness.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The interesting thing about Obama's propensity to do what he wanted with executive orders is that a lot of that stuff is easily undone by executive order, which Trump has been doing himself. Failure to build support through congress is a great way to having any sort of a legacy erased.

What do you do when you cannot discredit the actual testimony of a witness? You show that he is biased against you. Trump can now respond to anything Comey might have to say with, well you cannot believe anything Comey says because he is trying to get back at me for firing him.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    What do you do when you cannot discredit the actual testimony of a witness? You show that he is biased against you. Trump can now respond to anything Comey might have to say with, well you cannot believe anything Comey says because he is trying to get back at me for firing him.
    I think you are right but I also think you'er giving Trump too much credit. He's not that clever, IMO.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Well, this should save the country a bunch of time and money. Case closed!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic..._medium=social

A Certified letter. CERTIFIED by golly!

An interesting watch about Russia and their activities.

Liberals take notice.

"We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
    -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
    -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    In fairness to Spicer, the New York Times or Washington Post, I can't remember which, corrected that story. He stood by the bushes with his staff, but did not go inside or hide behind any bushes. He often acts like a dope, but he deserves fairness.
    They changed one word. One.

Instead of "in" the bushes they changed it to "among" the bushes. The definitions are not that different. And he still requested he not be filmed while speaking, which the media obliged.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7ecc0fc1f548

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    They changed one word. One.

Instead of "in" the bushes they changed it to "among" the bushes. The definitions are not that different. And he still requested he not be filmed while speaking, which the media obliged.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7ecc0fc1f548

Oh, I don't care. But one word can make no huge difference. Oops, I meant one word can make a huge difference.

--Yeats

Chris Cillizza:

Donald Trump is turning liberals into conspiracy theorists

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/08/politics/trump-liberals/

(CNN)Much has been written about how President Trump's election has had a profound impact on the Republican party. What's drawn less attention -- but deserves more! -- is how Trump is affecting Democrats.

Sure, we've seen coverage of how Trump's election has emboldened the liberal left whose call for confrontation at all times has become the rallying cry of the party. (This New Yorker profile of Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer describes the rapid evolution from compromise to confrontation well.)

What's drawn less attention is how Trump's presidency has convinced liberals that every bad thing whispered about any Republican is, by default, true. Consider that in the last week alone, liberal outrage has been sparked on (at least) four occasions by alleged incidents that simply aren't accurate....

--Yeats

Our Democrats have lost their entire minds over Trump. It's become funny.

"We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
    -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
    -Miyamoto Musashi

From he Wall Street Journal:

The main source of dysfunction is the man at the top. The President is his own worst enemy—impulsive, thin-skinned, undisciplined, by now readers know the story. Every time his supporters think he might finally be appreciating the weight of the job, or the gravity of a President’s words, he goes on a Twitter rant.

Rather than focus on his agenda, he keeps the Russia pot boiling by railing against critics. Health care—what’s that? He faults his communications team for mistakes, but they are usually based on incomplete information or an attempt to clean up the boss’s effusions.

Mr. Trump has assembled many able advisers and officials who are trying to serve the country and steer the mercurial President from his own worst instincts. If Mr. Trump won’t heed their counsel, he really will turn into Jimmy Carter.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-week-...ton-1494629659

Trump's behaving exactly as many of us expected him to behave. Like a lot of Republicans (maybe the majority), I like much of what Trump is doing but think too often he's his own worst enemy -- and his own cause's biggest obstacle. He's very frustrating.

--Yeats

From he Wall Street Journal:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-week-...ton-1494629659

Trump's behaving exactly as many of us expected him to behave. Like a lot of Republicans (maybe the majority), I like much of what Trump is doing but think too often he's his own worst enemy -- and his own cause's biggest obstacle. He's very frustrating.
    I might argue that 100% of his problems are his own doing. He SHOULD still be in his honeymoon period and there hasn't been any legitimate challenge to his policy mostly because he has been unable to execute any of it.

+1 for his Supreme Court nomination. That's it. He's undermined his tax policy and he's undermined his healthcare plan. If I were a strategist for Democrats I would just focus on baiting him to say and do stupid stuff. Only 25% of Americans strongly agree he is doing a good job.

Trump has to get smarter about this stuff.

I might argue that 100% of his problems are his own doing. He SHOULD still be in his honeymoon period and there hasn't been any legitimate challenge to his policy mostly because he has been unable to execute any of it.

+1 for his Supreme Court nomination. That's it. He's undermined his tax policy and he's undermined his healthcare plan. If I were a strategist for Democrats I would just focus on baiting him to say and do stupid stuff. Only 25% of Americans strongly agree he is doing a good job.

He's either a genius or a moron:

U.S. lawmakers ask Trump to turn over any Comey tapes

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN18A0TU

You hear it all the time: President Trump hasn't been tested, hasn't faced a real crisis. The events of the last few weeks, however, have made me want to turn that formulation around. Trump doesn't face crises so much as manufacture them. In a way he is the crisis, and his presidency is in danger of being defined not by any legislator be or diplomatic achievement but by his handling of the multiplying and daunting obstacles he creates for himself.

Matthew Continetti

At what point will people say enough is enough and start the impeachment process?
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 05-17-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    At what point will people say enough is enough and start the impeachment process?

The GOP runs Congress so that is a tricky question. Also, so far it does not appear that there's evidence of any "high crimes and misdemeanors." The Comey allegation about Trump asking him to lay off Kelly may turn into that. Still, there needs to be intent. This is a pretty decent Chicago Tribune article on the subject:

Trump might have obstructed justice if Comey allegation true, legal analysts say

"There's definitely a case to be made for obstruction," said Barak Cohen, a former federal prosecutor who now does white-collar defense work at the Perkins Coie law firm. "But on the other hand you have to realize that - as with any other sort of criminal law - intent is key, and intent here can be difficult to prove."
    Honestly, I wonder if a guy as impulsive and clueless as Trump, with no mental filter, actually had intent to obstruct. "I hope you can let this go" sounds like some dumb, off-the-cuff thing he would say. (I recognize that others see that statement as a smoking gun.) The other aspect of the Comey memo situation is that so far, no one has the memo. The story is based on an anonymous source who said he/she was reading from the memo to a New York Times reporter. That was as of last night. Maybe someone has the memo today.

--Yeats

The GOP runs Congress so that is a tricky question. Also, so far it does not appear that there's evidence of any "high crimes and misdemeanors." The Comey allegation about Trump asking him to lay off Kelly may turn into that. Still, there needs to be intent. This is a pretty decent Chicago Tribune article on the subject:

Trump might have obstructed justice if Comey allegation true, legal analysts say

Honestly, I wonder if a guy as impulsive and clueless as Trump, with no mental filter, actually had intent to obstruct. "I hope you can let this go" sounds like some dumb, off-the-cuff thing he would say. (I recognize that others see that statement as a smoking gun.) The other aspect of the Comey memo situation is that so far, no one has the memo. The story is based on an anonymous source who said he/she was reading from the memo to a New York Times reporter. That was as of last night. Maybe someone has the memo today.
    Chaffetz wants it and is planning to get it via subpoena. The accusation of today is that he wanted Comey to put reporters in jail..............now Ive spoken out plenty on bad journalists, but that is scary, if true.

Former FBI director Mueller is being appointed to oversee a special investigation on the Russian probe. Mueller was the director for 12 years. People I know in the FBI do NOT have a high opinion of him.

Regardless this seems to be a good person to appoint to do this. Trump can't fire him either.

Former FBI director Mueller is being appointed to oversee a special investigation on the Russian probe. Mueller was the director for 12 years. People I know in the FBI do NOT have a high opinion of him.

Regardless this seems to be a good person to appoint to do this. Trump can't fire him either.

I read that he is very close to Comey.

Well, when any of these allegations are actually proven.

Right now the leftist major media is serving up shit... and so many want to believe it so bad... they are scooping it up like chocolate pudding.
    -Thucydides

-Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Well, when any of these allegations are actually proven.

Right now the leftist major media is serving up shit... and so many want to believe it so bad... they are scooping it up like chocolate pudding.
    Shit that gets denounced every night by some lucky Trump staffer only to have their boss take full credit on social media first thing the next morning.

The Trump Presidency - Life In Interesting Times

Q&A: What Is a Special Counsel?

By Jacob Gershman and Joe Palazzolo
    May 17, 2017 8:53 p.m. ET

The No. 2 official in the Justice Department appointed a special counsel to oversee an FBI investigation of the Russian government’s efforts to influence the 2016 presidential election.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein tapped former Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Robert Mueller III for the job, saying the appointment was “in the public interest.” Mr. Mueller, a former federal prosecutor, will have broad powers to conduct his inquiry, but he still reports to the Justice Department.

Here is a brief look at the role of the special counsel, its level of independence and the restraints on its authority.

What is a special counsel?

Under federal regulations from 1999, the attorney general may appoint a temporary special counsel from outside the Justice Department to conduct a criminal probe into a particularly sensitive matter and to potentially prosecute related wrongdoing. The appointment should be reserved for extraordinary situations when normal protocol is compromised by political conflicts.

Within the first 60 days of the special counsel’s appointment, the appointee must develop a proposed budget for the investigation for the attorney general’s approval. While the special counsel isn’t subject to day-to-day supervision, Mr. Mueller can be asked to report to the attorney general—or in this case, the deputy attorney general, because the attorney general has recused himself—about “any investigative or prosecutorial step.”

Mr. Mueller will have ample time to conduct his investigation. “There appear to be...no time limits on the special counsel’s authority, aside from annual reporting requirements for budgetary purposes,” according to a recent Congressional Research Service report.

How is a special counsel different from a federal prosecutor?

The two roles are very similar. Special counsels are granted the “full power and independent authority to exercise all investigative and prosecutorial functions of any United States Attorney.”

Perhaps the biggest difference is that the special counsel must be selected from outside the U.S. government and be a lawyer “with a reputation for integrity and impartial decision-making.” A special counsel can also recruit an investigative team from either within or outside the Justice Department.

The Justice Department has relied on the regulations just once, when Attorney General Janet Reno in 1999 appointed former Sen. John Danforth to investigate the “Branch Davidian” siege near Waco, Texas.

What is the difference between a special counsel and an independent counsel?

It is the degree of independence. The attorney general, or his acting deputy, retains far more control over the scope of a special investigation, its prosecutorial jurisdiction and its budget. The special counsel may only be removed by the attorney general—in cases of “misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause”—although the president can dismiss the attorney general or the deputy attorney general at any time.

An independent counsel, which no longer exists under law, had far more latitude. The position was created after President Richard Nixon’s attempts to derail a criminal investigation of the Watergate scandal. The attorney general could request an independent counsel when allegations of wrongdoing by a high-ranking official arose. The request would be submitted to a judicial panel, which would pick the counsel, define the scope of the inquiry and its duration. The independent counsel could convene grand juries, grant immunity and prosecute any crimes stemming from the probe. The attorney general couldn’t remove the independent counsel except for incapacity or extraordinary impropriety.

The independence was a double-edged sword. During the Clinton administration, the sprawling investigation of the White House by Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr led to a backlash from scholars and others who believed the probe veered away from its original mandate of looking into Whitewater allegations and raised separation-of-powers concerns. The law expired in 1999.

Can the special counsel file criminal charges?

Yes, but the special counsel can be required to keep the attorney general aware of any “investigative or prosecutorial step.” Justice Department rules state that the attorney general may conclude that charges are inappropriate or unwarranted. If the attorney general decides against pursuing charges, he must inform Congress.

Can a special counsel investigation coexist with congressional hearings and investigations into the same matter, and how would that work?

Congress on its own can conduct investigations and hold hearings on the conduct of executive branch officials, and the Senate and House intelligence committees are already conducting probes into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election.

But criminal prosecutions into possible violations of federal law are regarded as the job of the executive branch under Article II of the U.S. Constitution. There is nothing stopping the two branches from pursuing parallel inquiries.

—Del Quentin Wilber and Aruna Viswanatha contributed to this article.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/q-a-wha...sel-1495068821

--Yeats

Nothing says leadership more than whining about your treatment.

Boom:

The Case for Dumping Trump Rests With His Supporters

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...his-supporters

I hope Mike Pence isn't too settled in at the VP's residence.

--Yeats

Boom:

The Case for Dumping Trump Rests With His Supporters

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...his-supporters

I hope Mike Pence isn't too settled in at the VP's residence.
    great article, thanks for posting that.

The Russian probe started as a counter-intelligence investigation but has now apparently been changed y is criminal investigation:

https://news.vice.com/story/justice-...-investigation

Interesting... No, the other thing: Tedious...

The Russian probe started as a counter-intelligence investigation but has now apparently been changed y is criminal investigation:

Interesting... No, the other thing: Tedious...
    The leftist major media will do anything to write what you want to read.
    -Thucydides

-Miyamoto Musashi

The Guardrails of American Democracy Can’t Contain Trump

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...moval-bad-idea

--Yeats

Won't happen.

Impeachment is inherently political. The only time any sitting POTUS has even had impeachment proceedings started against them, the opposition party was in power in both the House and the Senate.

I'm curious to find out what Trump supporters currently see as his biggest success so far.

Anyone have any guesses outside of "not being Hillary"?