Page 78 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879 LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 2366

Thread: The Trump Presidency - Life In Interesting Times

My point.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I think people are mainly alarmed by what Trump said because he has given little confidence to people that he gets the nuance of diplomatic and international discourse. In times like these careful consideration is made in what is said, even when we are being forceful.

A more apt cartoon would be Trump poking Kim Jong Un with a stick while he hammers on the nuke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

A more apt cartoon would be Trump poking Kim Jong Un with a stick while he hammers on the nuke.

I think people are mainly alarmed by what Trump said because he has given little confidence to people that he gets the nuance of diplomatic and international discourse. In times like these careful consideration is made in what is said, even when we are being forceful.

Exactly.

I don't know anyone who isn't keenly aware of what is going on. To me that cartoon just assumes most people aren't capable of being worried about North Korea and Trump's lack of diplomacy ( and common sense)

The Trump Presidency - Life In Interesting Times

That would be a better cartoon. I still think that too many people are making this about Trump, and not about North Korea. I think it is about North Korea.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    He is a friggin moron on the level of Kim Jong Un.......

And this post would be a fine representation of the problem with politics today. The UN recently released a report that indicated Kim Jong Un had no problem starving millions of NK citizens (including 1.5 million children under 5 years old) in order to fund his nuclear program (and that's on top of the millions that have already died of starvation under his father's regime). Further, the Institute for National Security Strategy in SK, reported last August that he has had at least 340 people executed under his leadership. These executions have included anti-aircraft artillery (so as to leave victims unrecognizable), mafia-like executions with a pistol, nerve gas & live burnings. And let me know when we send a NK citizen home in the shape of Otto Warmbier. And what did the majority of these victims do?.......upset him, offend him, bring in something from SK, steal a flag, obtaining a bible.....and other "crimes."

You may believe Trump is moronic and reckless, and you'd be right IMO, but, he doesn't even orbit the same universe as KJU. KJU is a uniquely moronic, horrible and evil person.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    And this post would be a fine representation of the problem with politics today. The UN recently released a report that indicated Kim Jong Un had no problem starving millions of NK citizens (including 1.5 million children under 5 years old) in order to fund his nuclear program (and that's on top of the millions that have already died of starvation under his father's regime). Further, the Institute for National Security Strategy in SK, reported last August that he has had at least 340 people executed under his leadership. These executions have included anti-aircraft artillery (so as to leave victims unrecognizable), mafia-like executions with a pistol, nerve gas & live burnings. And let me know when we send a NK citizen home in the shape of Otto Warmbier. And what did the majority of these victims do?.......upset him, offend him, bring in something from SK, steal a flag, obtaining a bible.....and other "crimes."

You may believe Trump is moronic and reckless, and you'd be right IMO, but, he doesn't even orbit the same universe as KJU. KJU is a uniquely moronic, horrible and evil person.
    I think you have a point about the hysteria around Trump (and I have admittedly contributed to it). I've tried to refrain mostly because I think the general shrillness behind people upset about Trump is off-putting to those on the fence and undermines the legitimacy of the concerns about him.

(A side note: the opposition to Mitt Romney hammered on how he was a rich white guy who didn't care about the average American. I don't think that was true, but we definitely have that with a guy like Trump. And his actions show that every day.)

That being said, his recklessness could contribute to a spoiled child madman like KJU doing the unimaginable to our own people.

Interestingly an article I read about S Koreans is this latest barb isn't even registering with them. They are all too accustomed to KJUs tantrums and threats. (Was that posted here?)

U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis cautioned Wednesday that North Korea's actions "will continue to be grossly overmatched by ours and would lose any arms race or conflict it initiates," a day after President Donald Trump issued a similar warning in the wake of reports North Korea is continuing to advance its nuclear capabilities.

Mattis added that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un should "take heed" of the United Nations Security Council's "unified voice," referring to recent sanctions issued against the nation, and called for the country to "cease any consideration of actions that would lead to the end of its regime and the destruction of its people."

On Tuesday, during a briefing about the opioid crisis, Trump warned North Korea to not make any further threats against the United States. "They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen," Trump said. "He [Kim] has been very threatening — beyond a normal statement — and as I said, they will be met with fire, fury and, frankly, power the likes of which the world has never seen before."

http://www.whas11.com/news/politics/...ople/463158792
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Unmasking Samantha Power

We still don’t know why Obama officials needed to know the names of so many Trump officials.

Of all the Russia storms raging around Donald Trump —the Christopher Steele dossier, the email to Don Jr. promising dirt on Hillary Clinton —there is still only one clear felony we know about: the leaking of former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn’s name after someone had identified him from a classified intelligence report. Funny how this is a scandal no one seems interested in.

Well, almost no one. The chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Devin Nunes, recently sent a letter to the Director of National Intelligence with some startling information. The committee has learned that “one official, whose position had no apparent intelligence-related function, made hundreds of unmasking requests during the final year of the Obama administration.”

Unmasking is simply an official requesting the identity of an American whose name has been redacted from an intelligence report. There is nothing inherently wrong with unmasking, and law enforcement, intelligence operatives and policy makers can have a legitimate need to know who these Americans are.

But protecting the privacy rights of American citizens as well as not revealing which foreigners U.S. intelligence is targeting is also crucial, which is why U.S. government officials are supposed to give good and specific reason for seeking the identity of a redacted American. Yet in all but one of the requests for names from top-level Obama officials, Mr. Nunes writes, the language was “boilerplate” and did not specify why the official needed to know the names.

The House committee has not identified the Trump people who were unmasked. Nor has it identified the “one official” who made those hundreds of requests. But it’s pretty obvious this was Samantha Power, Barack Obama’s ambassador to the United Nations. In May the House Intelligence Committee subpoenaed the unmasking requests from Ms. Power, former CIA director John Brennan and former National Security Adviser Susan Rice.

Ms. Power is the only one of those three whose job had no clear intelligence-related function. The plot got even thicker when the committee asked for the same unmasking records for Ben Rhodes. He was the hyper-political Obama Deputy National Security Adviser who last year gleefully boasted to the New York Times how he’d manipulated reporters to sell Mr. Obama’s nuclear deal with Iran.

In Washington, this is one story most people want to dismiss. During a recent interview report, for example, Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr told CNN “the unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes.”

Mr. Burr’s comment came before Mr. Nunes released his letter revealing the hundreds of requests from a single Obama official. A spokeswoman for Mr. Burr says her boss’s comments have been misinterpreted by the press. She further noted that in the CNN interview he had also said the names of some unmasked people had improperly became public and his committee intends to get to the bottom of it.

That’s more than Democrats are doing. When Mr. Nunes first raised the issue, he was accused of leaking classified information, and activist groups including MoveOn.org filed complaints with the House Ethics Committee. But rather than resolve what are plainly politically motivated complaints, it looks like Democrats on the committee are more interested in keeping a cloud hanging over Mr. Nunes as a way of keeping a cloud over the investigation.

Some are now calling for all the unmasking information to be declassified so we can know whose names were unmasked and who asked for those names. But there may still be good reasons not to do so, out of respect for the privacy rights of those unfairly unmasked, and to avoid making public any details about intelligence operations that might tip off foreigners being watched.

Americans certainly need to find out anything Vladimir Putin did to interfere in the presidential election. But if high-level members of the Obama Administration were abusing intelligence to spy on Trump people during that same campaign, the American people deserve answers on that too.
    Appeared in the August 12, 2017, print edition.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I don't know anyone who isn't keenly aware of what is going on.

That would be me.

I am truly angry at Trump, disgusted, really, over the way he handled this.

The Alt-Right's Chickens Come Home to Roost

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...ome-home-roost

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Angry, disgusted, but, once again, not surprised.

The Alt-Right's Chickens Come Home to Roost

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...ome-home-roost

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    it is not stupid. it is revelatory. he didnt make a mistake of judgment. he once again showed who he is and who he has always been.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    it is not stupid. it is revelatory. he didnt make a mistake of judgment. he once again showed who he is and who he has always been.
    OK. It reveals his stupidity.

EDIT: Lest I seem flippant, what I really mean to say is that I do not believe Trump has ever spent 10 minutes thinking about big issues like this. I doubt he has ever read a serious book or even a long article about them. So he goes with his uninformed instincts. If I'm right, this is not a flattering assessment of him at all.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-12-2017 at 11:44 PM.

--Yeats

First saw this on twitter yesterday.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59...b08a2472750701

Once again he is who we think he is, it isn't complicated.

I'm all for finding silver linings, particularly with people but I just don't know how so many people I know can say that they don't like the man but want to support some of his policies. Certainly nobody is exactly who you want, but a deeply flawed man like Trump is inextricably tied to his policies.

What a sad world we live in, in a country bereft of leadership and filled with men who will cower from standing for what is right because it risks the loss of the power they think they hold.

I'm all for finding silver linings, particularly with people but I just don't know how so many people I know can say that they don't like the man but want to support some of his policies.
    Yes. The policies matter so little compared to the person. This nation won't sink or swim on policy. The American people - our goodness - will decide the fate of the nation. A leader who doesn't inspire goodness drags us down regardless of who he puts on the Supreme Court or what he thinks of Obamacare.

Charlottesville is why I couldn’t bring myself to support Trump

http://nypost.com/2017/08/14/charlot...support-trump/

--Yeats

Condemn the White Supremacists, Mr. President

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...should-condemn

--Yeats

Condemn the White Supremacists, Mr. President

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...should-condemn
    Stupid liberals, always focusing on what he says and ignoring the tremendous good he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I have maintained all along that Un is a psychopath while Trump is merely a sociopath.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    First saw this on twitter yesterday.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59...b08a2472750701

GoDaddy, who was the service hosting the Daily Stormer site, pulled them down for "terms of service violation" today.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/14/1...kers-anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I have maintained all along that Un is a psychopath while Trump is merely a sociopath.
    Could very well be true.

--Yeats

Trump’s Monday statement:

The Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation into the deadly car attack that killed one innocent American and wounded 20 others. To anyone who acted criminally in this weekend’s racist violence, you will be held fully accountable. Justice will be delivered. As I said on Saturday, we condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and violence. It has no place in America.

And as I have said many times before: no matter the color of our skin, we all live under the same laws. We all salute the same great flag. And we are all made by the same almighty God. We must love each other, show affection for each other, and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry, and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans. Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans. We are a nation founded on the truth that all of us are created equal. We are equal in the eyes of our creator, we are equal under the law, and we are equal under our Constitution. Those who spread violence in the name of bigotry strike at the very core of America. Two days ago a young American woman, Heather Hayer, was tragically killed. Her death fills us with grief, and we send her family our thoughts, our prayers, and our love. We also mourn the two Virginia state troopers who died in service to their community, their commonwealth, and their country. Troopers Jay Cullen and Berke Banks exemplify the very best of America, and our hearts go out to their families, their friends, and every member of American law enforcement.

These three fallen Americans embody the goodness and decency of our nation. In times such as these, America has always shown its true character, responding to hate with love, division with unity, and violence with an unwavering resolve for justice. As a candidate, I promised to restore law and order to our country, and our federal law enforcement agencies are following through on that pledge. We will spare no resource in fighting so that every American child can grow up free from violence and fear. We will defend and protect the sacred rights of all Americans, and we will work together so that every citizen in this blessed land is free to follow their dreams in their hearts and to express the love and joy in their souls. Thank you, God bless you, and God bless America.
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/why-tr...rticle/2009282

Whatever.

--Yeats

100% chance that was written by someone else. There is no "very very..." included once.

In terms our Failure in Chief might understand: It is very very bad that he doesn't even have the basic human decency to condemn these atrocities off the cuff the day it happened. Sad.

100% chance that was written by someone else. There is no "very very..." included once.

In terms our Failure in Chief might understand: It is very very bad that he doesn't even have the basic human decency to condemn these atrocities off the cuff the day it happened. Sad.

Especially with the rumors that he's considering pardoning Joe Arpaio.

Someone said it beautifully today, I don't remember who. "Instead of rising to the occasion, Trump shrank to his base."

--Yeats

.....they don't like the man but want to support some of his policies.....

If he can push through an across the board tax cut....ooh me! me! me! me!
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Pedantic comment: Those are both lay terms for the same psychiatric disorder, antisocial personality disorder (which is entirely different from the lay term "antisocial" as in withdrawn or solitary).
    You might find some debate among psychiatrists as to whether Trump simply suffers from narcissistic personality disorder or the more expansive antisocial personify disorder. Him being convicted/jailed would check another box for antisocial.

This is the issue in a nutshell:

This is not a media story. This is a presidential story. What’s shocking is that the president of the United States did not have the instinctive, reflexive, automatic response you would expect of any American leader, what we saw across the spectrum in American leadership and among the populace in being utterly revolted by these right-wing, white supremacist neo-Nazi groups. If the president did not do what was absolutely natural, that’s what makes it a story. The fact that he said oh, yes, and then he added in a statement on Saturday, he ad-libbed, “On many sides.” He repeated it. Where did that come from? There is a denunciation to be had of the left, but this was begun by, instigated by, created by neo-Nazis, KKK and white supremacists. They were the ones who created the beginning of this incident. One of them is the one who killed a woman, injured a lot of others. It seems to me you start by denouncing what is obvious. The fact that the president did not, had to do it two days later, is simply stunning. I’m not begrudging him that he said it now but I remember in the campaign he used to mock his other candidates, his competitors, for reading from a prompter. He had to read from a prompter the names of these groups rather than spontaneously answering on his own on Saturday when he was on his own.
    -- Charles Krauthammer

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...ys-krauthammer

--Yeats