Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29697576777879
Results 2,341 to 2,366 of 2366

Thread: The Trump Presidency - Life In Interesting Times

I think this writer, with whom I usually disagree, makes some good points here.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/08...erres-warning/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This is another good piece, quite critical of Trump and of our society's bitter politics generally.

https://www.the-american-interest.co...tter-politics/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

As seen on social media

"Dear God, if you want us to impeach Trump show us a sign. Like block out the sun anytime in the next week thanks - Americans"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 08-17-2017 at 06:10 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    As seen on social media

"Dear God, if you want us to impeach Trump show us a sign. Like block out the sun anytime in the next week thanks - Americans"
    This morning they were talking about the sequencing of how the CEOs were bailing on Trump's All-Star CEO roundtable before he fired them all, the classical "NO, I'm breaking up with YOU FIRST!" level of intelligent discourse we see in this POTUS.

One point was the predicament of Walmart's CEO, who has a lot of Trump supporters among their customers - a fairly serious problem - and then a funny, attractive woman panelist talked about the more general media whipsaw that was going to hit the rest of the CEOs:

"For example, I cover the financial sector, and I'm sure Jamie Diamond of Chase was not looking forward to me calling to ask - 'Hi Jamie - how do you feel about the Ku Klux Klan?'"

(There's some pretty funny bits of humor in all this insanity.)

So, given recent events, I totally expect a group of white supremacists/nazis to present themselves in significant numbers at a college football game. I can picture myself and many others walking down 4th south and seeing a group standing on the grass or as you enter the plaza outside the south entrances. How do we react to that. It may not happen at the U, but it will happen somewhere this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    So, given recent events, I totally expect a group of white supremacists/nazis to present themselves in significant numbers at a college football game. I can picture myself and many others walking down 4th south and seeing a group standing on the grass or as you enter the plaza outside the south entrances. How do we react to that. It may not happen at the U, but it will happen somewhere this fall.
    Personally, I would just ignore them. Maybe giving them a dismissive wave as I go.

Engaging people who are looking for a fight won't be productive.

Ignoring people until they realize their cause is lost is the best bet.

The fear is that their cause won't be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Personally, I would just ignore them. Maybe giving them a dismissive wave as I go.

Engaging people who are looking for a fight won't be productive.

Ignoring people until they realize their cause is lost is the best bet.

The fear is that their cause won't be lost.
    That would definitely be my approach, but it won't be the approach of all, and that concerns me.

Bannon is out of the White House and now I miss DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    This morning they were talking about the sequencing of how the CEOs were bailing on Trump's All-Star CEO roundtable before he fired them all, the classical "NO, I'm breaking up with YOU FIRST!" level of intelligent discourse we see in this POTUS.

One point was the predicament of Walmart's CEO, who has a lot of Trump supporters among their customers - a fairly serious problem - and then a funny, attractive woman panelist talked about the more general media whipsaw that was going to hit the rest of the CEOs:

"For example, I cover the financial sector, and I'm sure Jamie Diamond of Chase was not looking forward to me calling to ask - 'Hi Jamie - how do you feel about the Ku Klux Klan?'"

(There's some pretty funny bits of humor in all this insanity.)
    When can we expect Trump to declare victory and resign?

His generals are basically ignoring his executive orders (trans gender in military). Executive branch departments are ignoring him. Congress is starting to ignore him.

Are we getting to the point where Trump's power will be so impotent that he is all but irrelevant?

can you technically drain the swamp, if you're the one filling it with reptiles?

Actually, the more I think about it, from a Political Science perspective this may turn into a very interesting point in American history.

Historically when a leader starts to become as ineffectual as Trump is becoming, that's usually when they order the troops to restore order. Then things turn from bad to worse and heads start rolling.

I for one don't believe that will happen. I firmly believe our armed forces would absolutely reject the notion of invading Washington. I think history and the collective conscience of those in charge will keep that from happening. But still, I don't know if we, as a country, have ever had a President with such an explosive combination of narcissism and impotence. He may develop a real rage the more he gets ignored. I wonder how desperate he gets to hold onto his power and what, if anything, he does to try and keep it.

I don't know if any President since Lincoln has ever tried to test their powers to this magnitude.

It could be interesting to see if he ever succumbs to realizing his power comes from the people and that he can't keep on dismissing his diminishing poll numbers as "fake news".

A CNN anchor reads all of the controversies of the Trump admin in the past month. The list is astounding:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...baldwin-nr.cnn

Journalists finally fighting back.

The entire Presidents Committee on the Arts & the Humanities resigned today.

They're officially an agency, which means an entire White House department has now resigned.

https://twitter.com/kalpenn/status/898547257062174724

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We're beyond that now.

via GIPHY

I would coax the cabinet to resign, but I think they should stay in there and give him the 25th Amendment Heave Ho.

We're beyond that now.

via GIPHY

Yeah. At least 5 charities have cancelled fundraisers at Mar-A-Lago today. These are big names.

American Red Cross
    Salvation Army
    American Cancer Society
    Susan G Komen Foundation

Most have held events there for years.

All say the events of the last week mean they have to find someplace else, either the events go against their values as organizations or they simply cannot be associated with Trump's facilities after the past week

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I would coax the cabinet to resign, but I think they should stay in there and give him the 25th Amendment Heave Ho.
    Unfortunately the Constitution doesn't provide a way to remove a president just for being a narcissist with no impulse control and a glass jaw.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Bannon is out of the White House and now I miss DD.

Ironically he was the only one who seemed to be rational about options in North Korea.

Unfortunately the Constitution doesn't provide a way to remove a president just for being a narcissist with no impulse control and a glass jaw.
    No, but the cabinet can determine that he is unfit for office and force a vote in Congress.

But keeping him weak and marginalized will work out, assuming he doesn't burn down the world. Which he may.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    No, but the cabinet can determine that he is unfit for office and force a vote in Congress.

But keeping him weak and marginalized will work out, assuming he doesn't burn down the world. Which he may.

The VP and others in the Cabinet have to send the Senate and the House their "written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office." That's different from unfit. But hey, it would be one heck of a terrific Constitutional crisis!

banana-republic.png

(I kid, I kid.)

Last edited by LA Ute; 08-18-2017 at 06:21 PM.

--Yeats

There were more than a few moments during the campaign where I thought Trump was a dumpster fire . . . he still won.

I saw a poll yesterday which claimed that 6 out 10 Trump supporters said they would never turn their guy. My brother would call these people one percenters, but that might be too low a number in this case.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    There were more than a few moments during the campaign where I thought Trump was a dumpster fire . . . he still won.

I saw a poll yesterday which claimed that 6 out 10 Trump supporters said they would never turn their guy. My brother would call these people one percenters, but that might be too low a number in this case.
    I saw a Nate Silver article (538 folks) that did a breakdown of how many Trump supporters still strongly support Trump. It concluded that he has lost only a few percentage points of fervent Trump supporters.

They have a live tracker too.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

I saw a Nate Silver article (538 folks) that did a breakdown of how many Trump supporters still strongly support Trump. It concluded that he has lost only a few percentage points of fervent Trump supporters.

They have a live tracker too.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

From what I heard this morning I think where he is hurting is with independents and less conservative Republicans. I expect there to be a primary challenge.

--Yeats