Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 261

Thread: 2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    We will be selling our home in Holladay (4900 South, 4 blocks west of I-215) in the next few months. Rambler, 3600 sq. ft., 3 bed, 2 ba, upstairs; 2 bed, 1 ba downstairs. $670k
    That is Solon's old stomping grounds.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    We will be selling our home in Holladay (4900 South, 4 blocks west of I-215) in the next few months. Rambler, 3600 sq. ft., 3 bed, 2 ba, upstairs; 2 bed, 1 ba downstairs. $670k
    And that’s why we’re building in Herriman haha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    I just moved here...still trying to buy a house. Grew up in Ogden/SLC and left the state 20+ years ago. Not easy finding a desired house in Millcreek/Holladay area. Also considering Fruit Hts and Cottonwood Hts. Any input is appreciated.

    p.s. I know this has nothing to do with 2018 recruiting. ha

    Like you, we moved back to SLC after several decades away and bought a house in the Millcreek/Holladay area that needed remodeling. Recently, we sold that house to move closer to the U. It sold quickly, so I think the area is still desirable, but, as you mentioned, it can be difficult to find an updated home under $600k. Having said that, there are still pockets of terrific neighborhoods where you can find what you want under $600k. It may take the patience of saint, but, eventually I think you'll land something. For example the neighborhood just east/southeast/southwest of Olympus has a number of great neighborhoods with homes in the 2500-3000 sf range that will sell for under $600. It helps if you have some connections that can learn about a sale "by word of mouth" as opposed to letting it hit the market. Good luck.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  4. #124
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Like you, we moved back to SLC after several decades away and bought a house in the Millcreek/Holladay area that needed remodeling. Recently, we sold that house to move closer to the U. It sold quickly, so I think the area is still desirable, but, as you mentioned, it can be difficult to find an updated home under $600k. Having said that, there are still pockets of terrific neighborhoods where you can find what you want under $600k. It may take the patience of saint, but, eventually I think you'll land something. For example the neighborhood just east/southeast/southwest of Olympus has a number of great neighborhoods with homes in the 2500-3000 sf range that will sell for under $600. It helps if you have some connections that can learn about a sale "by word of mouth" as opposed to letting it hit the market. Good luck.
    Thanks much, mUUser. Yeah...it has not been easy. I think I now know every house for sale under $625k between the Avenues and Holladay...LOL. Haven't seen anything I really liked under $650k. There are a few pretty goods ones around $620k (Foothill, East Millcreek, and Canyon Rim), but I have not been impressed by the $550k-$600K homes in those areas. I don't mind getting something lower and do renovation, but the combination of good "bone structure", lot size, and price is tough. Found a house I really like in Fruit Hts, but am still debating if that's too far from SLC. Parents are in Ogden...though, not really a decision factor.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Thanks much, mUUser. Yeah...it has not been easy. I think I now know every house for sale under $625k between the Avenues and Holladay...LOL. Haven't seen anything I really liked under $650k. There are a few pretty goods ones around $620k (Foothill, East Millcreek, and Canyon Rim), but I have not been impressed by the $550k-$600K homes in those areas. I don't mind getting something lower and do renovation, but the combination of good "bone structure", lot size, and price is tough. Found a house I really like in Fruit Hts, but am still debating if that's too far from SLC. Parents are in Ogden...though, not really a decision factor.
    if you're Mormon and you don't mind going to chain food operations for dinner, Fruit Heights works.

    I'm surprised you can't find anything under 625k. I guess that means my home is worth more than I thought

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Thanks much, mUUser. Yeah...it has not been easy. I think I now know every house for sale under $625k between the Avenues and Holladay...LOL. Haven't seen anything I really liked under $650k. There are a few pretty goods ones around $620k (Foothill, East Millcreek, and Canyon Rim), but I have not been impressed by the $550k-$600K homes in those areas. I don't mind getting something lower and do renovation, but the combination of good "bone structure", lot size, and price is tough. Found a house I really like in Fruit Hts, but am still debating if that's too far from SLC. Parents are in Ogden...though, not really a decision factor.

    are you commuting? Fruit heights-SLC is brutal in rush hour both ways. How close is the house to front runner?

  7. #127
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is for those who think it’s still 1985 in Salt Lake (cough-cough Seattle Ute cough-cough).

    Salt Lake City named the second most hipster city in the U.S.

    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...in-the-us.html
    Salt Lake City finished ahead of Cincinnati, Ohio; Boise, Idaho; and Richmond, Virginia
    Quite the compelling competition there.

  8. #128
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    are you commuting? Fruit heights-SLC is brutal in rush hour both ways. How close is the house to front runner?
    No commuting. Just airport runs. I travel for work most of the time.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    No commuting. Just airport runs. I travel for work most of the time.
    The airport from Fruit Heights is easy. Legacy Highway makes it almost a straight shot. My stepson and his family live near Oakridge Country Club. The Farmington Station shopping area is really nice. Downtown SLC is only 25 minutes away in non-rush hour traffic. There are a couple of nice golf courses nearby, Davis and Valley View. And for outdoor recreation such as skiing, hiking, mountain biking, etc., Ogden Valley is underrated, less crowded than SLC and PC, and is less than 30 minutes away.

    I live in Centerville, and if I ever decide to move, Fruit Heights or east Layton would be high on my list.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  10. #130
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    Timmy "Buckets" Allen with 40.

    He has a nice stroke from 3. Quick release.


  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    No commuting. Just airport runs. I travel for work most of the time.
    FWIW, certain parts of Millcreek and Holladay I've joked are 25 minutes from everything... in a bad way. We lived not far from the Holladay City center and it felt like it took forever to get to the freeway to get downtown or to the airport or whatever. Your choices are to go south over to Cottonwood Heights and jump on the freeway there, go North on 2300 East to get on to I-80, or go east and hope on the I-215 from 4500 south all are at least a 10-15 minute drive, plus the rest of your travel time.

    Keep in mind I've always lived about 5 minutes from the Freeway my entire life except then, but it drove me nuts.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    FWIW, certain parts of Millcreek and Holladay I've joked are 25 minutes from everything... in a bad way. We lived not far from the Holladay City center and it felt like it took forever to get to the freeway to get downtown or to the airport or whatever. Your choices are to go south over to Cottonwood Heights and jump on the freeway there, go North on 2300 East to get on to I-80, or go east and hope on the I-215 from 4500 south all are at least a 10-15 minute drive, plus the rest of your travel time.

    Keep in mind I've always lived about 5 minutes from the Freeway my entire life except then, but it drove me nuts.
    I'm spoiled because I grew up in the city. I rarely needed to go anywhere that was more than a 10 minute drive. A 20 minute drive felt like a big trip.

    One of the great blessings of my life is that I've always lived in walking or cycling distance to work. I've never had a commute. I've noticed that I have that item higher up on the priority list when looking for a home than most people.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    FWIW, certain parts of Millcreek and Holladay I've joked are 25 minutes from everything... in a bad way. We lived not far from the Holladay City center and it felt like it took forever to get to the freeway to get downtown or to the airport or whatever. Your choices are to go south over to Cottonwood Heights and jump on the freeway there, go North on 2300 East to get on to I-80, or go east and hope on the I-215 from 4500 south all are at least a 10-15 minute drive, plus the rest of your travel time.

    Keep in mind I've always lived about 5 minutes from the Freeway my entire life except then, but it drove me nuts.
    Can't get on 215 from 45th. As a newly minted Holladay resident it drives me crazy.
    Last edited by Scratch; 12-13-2017 at 01:46 PM.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Can't get on 215 from 45th. As a newly minted Holladay resident it drive me crazy.
    Wow, it seems there is a gathering of sorts back to Utah. mUUser, justaute, and now Scratch have all recently moved back to Utah from distant lands. LA Ute, Sancho, SeattleUte, the homeland beckons.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  15. #135
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    The airport from Fruit Heights is easy. Legacy Highway makes it almost a straight shot. My stepson and his family live near Oakridge Country Club. The Farmington Station shopping area is really nice. Downtown SLC is only 25 minutes away in non-rush hour traffic. There are a couple of nice golf courses nearby, Davis and Valley View. And for outdoor recreation such as skiing, hiking, mountain biking, etc., Ogden Valley is underrated, less crowded than SLC and PC, and is less than 30 minutes away.

    I live in Centerville, and if I ever decide to move, Fruit Heights or east Layton would be high on my list.
    Thanks, Chris. I'm actually staying in Ogden with family right now. Agree with you regarding the airport commute from Fruit Hts -- easy. The way I look at it is that the distance between Fruit Hts and SLC is not much more than that of Cottonwood Hts and SLC; however, there are a lot more "going ons" in between Cottonwood Hts and SLC than between Fruit Hts and SLC. That said, for whatever reason, having grown up in Ogden, I have always liked Fruit Hts, especially on the East Bench side.

  16. #136
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    FWIW, certain parts of Millcreek and Holladay I've joked are 25 minutes from everything... in a bad way. We lived not far from the Holladay City center and it felt like it took forever to get to the freeway to get downtown or to the airport or whatever. Your choices are to go south over to Cottonwood Heights and jump on the freeway there, go North on 2300 East to get on to I-80, or go east and hope on the I-215 from 4500 south all are at least a 10-15 minute drive, plus the rest of your travel time.

    Keep in mind I've always lived about 5 minutes from the Freeway my entire life except then, but it drove me nuts.
    I noticed that. Though, it is quite convenient from Canyon Rim, Foothill, and East Millcreek areas, where I have done the preponderance of my search. Holladay and Cottonwood Hts have been my secondary.

  17. #137
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Can't get on 215 from 45th. As a newly minted Holladay resident it drive me crazy.
    Interesting. I was looking around 24th E and 45th S, which wasn't far from 215 (south bound), but I guess the North/East bound entrance of 33rd S is a bit farther.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Wow, it seems there is a gathering of sorts back to Utah. mUUser, justaute, and now Scratch have all recently moved back to Utah from distant lands. LA Ute, Sancho, SeattleUte, the homeland beckons.
    I will not heed the call.

  19. #139
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,176
    Shush you!

    First rule of Salt Lake Club!

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Wow, it seems there is a gathering of sorts back to Utah. mUUser, justaute, and now Scratch have all recently moved back to Utah from distant lands. LA Ute, Sancho, SeattleUte, the homeland beckons.
    Im starting the out migration. We are selling our home in Holladay and buying a place in Mission Bay. We will split our time between that place and a condo in Park City. Our new Ward is home to Mitt and Ann Romney and we sat right behind them in SS.

  21. #141
    Live in northern davis county, work in slc. Its not so bad.

  22. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I will not heed the call.
    Ditto. The inversion alone would be too much to handle.

  23. #143
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,420
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Wow, it seems there is a gathering of sorts back to Utah. mUUser, justaute, and now Scratch have all recently moved back to Utah from distant lands. LA Ute, Sancho, SeattleUte, the homeland beckons.
    We do own property there. Does that count?

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  24. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Im starting the out migration. We are selling our home in Holladay and buying a place in Mission Bay. We will split our time between that place and a condo in Park City. Our new Ward is home to Mitt and Ann Romney and we sat right behind them in SS.
    Congrats! That sound like a dream retirement scenario to me.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  25. #145
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Wow, it seems there is a gathering of sorts back to Utah. mUUser, justaute, and now Scratch have all recently moved back to Utah from distant lands. LA Ute, Sancho, SeattleUte, the homeland beckons.
    Well, this is the 2018 recruiting class...right?

  26. #146
    We visited my parents in SLC last week, and I believe I have had my fill for a while.
    I could not take the traffic. But I do miss the mountains. They are glorious.

    It was nice seeing the UBoyz billboards up around town.

  27. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Can't get on 215 from 45th. As a newly minted Holladay resident it drives me crazy.
    Wait a minute, when did this happen? Did I miss the big announcement that scratch has returned home?

  28. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Im starting the out migration. We are selling our home in Holladay and buying a place in Mission Bay. We will split our time between that place and a condo in Park City. Our new Ward is home to Mitt and Ann Romney and we sat right behind them in SS.

    Sounds terrific. I will admit, I struggle with the winters here in the Valley. And Park City is just too damn cold. I love living here the other 9 months, but am prepared to GTFO of here in the winter as soon as I can.

    Unfortunately, I'm still raising kids, but I get more time out of here in the winter than I used to. Hopefully that trend continues.

  29. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Wait a minute, when did this happen? Did I miss the big announcement that scratch has returned home?

    Still working in CA, but we're moving up to Holladay. Will be telecommuting.

  30. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Still working in CA, but we're moving up to Holladay. Will be telecommuting.

    How do you appear in court? Still billing Cali rates? Can you ask if I catch on of counsel, even though I dont know anything about Cali law and am not a member of the bar? I will work cheap.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •