Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Our backcourt/wing for the next couple of years is starting to come together. Now, if we can get Battin, plus with Carlson's 2019 return, then we'll be alright for the PF role.

I gotta say I agree with UteDaddy on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I gotta say I agree with UteDaddy on this one.
    WARNING: Potential hot take coming........

If Lavar Ball called Larry up and said that LaMelo was interested in switching to the Utes (a laughable scenario, I know. Just work with me here.), I think Larry should bust up laughing as hangs up and blocks the number.

2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

I hope these latest signs of progress are helping Seattle Ute to feel better.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

my first thought on the number of new hoops gets after a long dry spell is that Krysko has bounced back from his illness last year and his health has improved?

I don't know if there's any truth to that, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post

If Lavar Ball called Larry up and said that LaMelo was interested in switching to the Utes (a laughable scenario, I know. Just work with me here.), I think Larry should bust up laughing as hangs up and blocks the number.
    I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his cell service includes a "Turd Block" option.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post

Larry would never do that. In fact, I'm sure he'd listen for a good while. Coaches are addicted to challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Larry would never do that. In fact, I'm sure he'd listen for a good while. Coaches are addicted to challenges.
    Im not sure how long that conversation would be. I think Larry learned from the Devon Daniels fiasco and wouldn't want anything to do with a sideshow like Lavar.

Riley Battin will be announcing his commitment at noon today. He spent the weekend on an official visit to Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Riley Battin will be announcing his commitment at noon today. He spent the weekend on an official visit to Utah.

He's a Ute!

DKRQrFNV4AA0Uye.jpg
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 09-21-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    We're done. And it's September. This feels funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    We're done. And it's September. This feels funny.
    I suspect Larry's seat is no longer warm...not that I thought that it was, but I remember it being suggested not long ago on the Twitter.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Not sure we're done. I'm confident that if the right guy wants in we'll take him. I'd like to see another big.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Not sure we're done. I'm confident that if the right guy wants in we'll take him. I'd like to see another big.
    I saw a tweet that said one more is likely. Not sure if that referred to Battin or somebody after him.

I suspect Larry's seat is no longer warm...not that I thought that it was, but I remember it being suggested not long ago on the Twitter.
    I'm busy refreshing the site waiting for complaints from SoCal Pat.

But, seriously, seems like possibly the best recruiting year ever (or at least since the Majerus heydays). It all started with K's decision to boot Daniels and double down on the culture. Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post

But, seriously, seems like possibly the best recruiting year ever (or at least since the Majerus heydays). It all started with K's decision to boot Daniels and double down on the culture. Good for him.
    You sell him short, you slanderous SOB.

Patrick Sheltra‏ @100ThingsUtah 10m10 minutes agoMore

What Utah MBB recruiting has done the last four months is nothing short of remarkable. Really can't be a cynic about their recruiting chops.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

What Utah MBB recruiting has done the last four months is nothing short of remarkable. Really can't be a cynic about their recruiting chops.

I guess that is what I get for not following him on Twitter.

I am very excited for basketball on the hill. It will be fun to watch these young guys grow and improve. These guys come in with higher ratings than the last great class of Loveridge, Tucker and Taylor and I hope that LK and staff can get them to their ceilings.

Pure speculation on my part but I was pretty astounded last year to learn that Larry had a battle with cancer and was still coaching. Even low dose chemo zaps a ton of energy of people I know and so I was struggling to get how he was keeping up with the rigors of coaching.

No doubt the culture wasn't there, along with the heavy hitting recruiting. But it appears it is back like never before... and truthfully how do you not succeed recruiting when you've gone from one of the worst teams in the nation to Kuzma, Poeltl and Wright?

With nothing else to base it on, I'm blaming it on the cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is "Battin" pronounced?

What an amazing few weeks of recruiting. Excitement...rising.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    How is "Battin" pronounced?

What an amazing few weeks of recruiting. Excitement...rising.
    It rhymes with "turtle."

We all love SCP!

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically, just the rumblings you see from time to time. I remember listening to a Utezone podcast where Swinney said that Larry's seat would be warm if things didn't improve on the recruiting front. That's where my comment came from.

We all love SCP!

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically, just the rumblings you see from time to time. I remember listening to a Utezone podcast where Swinney said that Larry's seat would be warm if things didn't improve on the recruiting front. That's where my comment came from.
    Actually, I was pretty discouraged last spring; I thought we were on a long slide to the bottom of the conference.

Interestingly, based on our current roster and current commits, we are actually already over-committed for the 2019-2020 season (we're currently at 13 scholarships for each of the next two seasons, but for 2019-2020 we only have 2 guys leaving, but have 3 coming in, Jones, Brenchley, and Carlson).

Interestingly, based on our current roster and current commits, we are actually already over-committed for the 2019-2020 season (we're currently at 13 scholarships for each of the next two seasons, but for 2019-2020 we only have 2 guys leaving, but have 3 coming in, Jones, Brenchley, and Carlson).
    Speaking of which, I assume we'll be all over Matt Van Komen for that already over-committed class. Does anyone know if he's going to be a mission kid?

Speaking of which, I assume we'll be all over Matt Van Komen for that already over-committed class. Does anyone know if he's going to be a mission kid?
    i saw a thread on cougarboard discussing their recruiting. somebody posted that Van Komen is ours if we want him, and he is not a mission kid. kwiw.

i saw a thread on cougarboard discussing their recruiting. somebody posted that Van Komen is ours if we want him, and he is not a mission kid. kwiw.
    Given the changes in hoops, do we even want big dudes who play on the block anymore?

Given the changes in hoops, do we even want big dudes who play on the block anymore?
    I think so, when he's at least 7'4" and pretty athletic. He'll probably be at least a top 100, and possibly top 50, recruit by all the major services. I really hope we can lock up him and Nico Mannion in the next couple of years.

We all love SCP!

My comment below is only in response to you because you brought his name up, not agreeing or disagreeing with anything that you say.....

Swinney does a great job with football breakdowns and recruiting news. The guy has worked hard and does a solid job. He has as much inside info into the Runnin' Utes as any of us here and honestly, he probably has less.

I think so, when he's at least 7'4" and pretty athletic. He'll probably be at least a top 100, and possibly top 50, recruit by all the major services. I really hope we can lock up him and Nico Mannion in the next couple of years.

Currently 84 by 247. It will be interesting to see what we do in regards to him. No matter what changes happen in the game of basketball, a rim protector is always going to be useful to have.