Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    My comment below is only in response to you because you brought his name up, not agreeing or disagreeing with anything that you say.....

Swinney does a great job with football breakdowns and recruiting news. The guy has worked hard and does a solid job. He has as much inside info into the Runnin' Utes as any of us here and honestly, he probably has less.
    10-4, I hear you and others loud and clear on this. My personal belief with no inside info or connections is that Larry's seat isn't/wasn't warm, and I do not believe that the recruiting misses that we've endured before all of the hits that we just got impacted his seat temperature status going into this season. To me, that was simply a fan creation that was influenced by the frustration of the whiffs in recruiting, and the transfer of one Devon Daniels.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You sell him short, you slanderous SOB.

Patrick Sheltra‏ @100ThingsUtah 10m10 minutes agoMore

What Utah MBB recruiting has done the last four months is nothing short of remarkable. Really can't be a cynic about their recruiting chops.

It truly is amazing. As I said elsewhere, the Sweetgrass must be working.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    10-4, I hear you and others loud and clear on this. My personal belief with no inside info or connections is that Larry's seat isn't/wasn't warm, and I do not believe that the recruiting misses that we've endured before all of the hits that we just got impacted his seat temperature status going into this season. To me, that was simply a fan creation that was influenced by the frustration of the whiffs in recruiting, and the transfer of one Devon Daniels.
    I agree. We all have to remember that Larry has shifted his philosophy towards recruiting.

That he has been able to make that shift and then so quickly recover is remarkable.

If anyone thinks his seat is hot...

It should not be at all. I think Larry is where Whitt was between his two 5-7 years. We may have one more "rough" year ahead of us (i.e., we don't make the tourney this year), but I expect a big jump forward in the 2018-2019 season.

Like Whitt was finally able to rebuild the football program, Larry should be ready to roll that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I agree. We all have to remember that Larry has shifted his philosophy towards recruiting.

That he has been able to make that shift and then so quickly recover is remarkable.

If anyone thinks his seat is hot...

It should not be at all. I think Larry is where Whitt was between his two 5-7 years. We may have one more "rough" year ahead of us (i.e., we don't make the tourney this year), but I expect a big jump forward in the 2018-2019 season.

Like Whitt was finally able to rebuild the football program, Larry should be ready to roll that year.
    This is how I can see it going. Certainly how I hope it goes.

Honestly, once Krystkowiak took his team to the Sweet 16, I thought we had gotten over the Giac/Boylen hump. That part was probably true, but what was weird was how the program still sputtered after a moderate spike of success 2014-2016.

There was a moment where LK and Delon took us to the S16, and you could see that the players coming back from that season (Poeltl, Kuzma, Chapman, Loveridge, Taylor) were positioned for another deep run the next season. Add to that the spittin' shiny new basketball facility finally opening, and it looked like we were off to the races as a newly-minted P5 program with a decent history of success to point back to. Once that '15-'16 team got worked by Gonzaga it was like the recruiting wheels came off for a couple cycles.

I still wonder what the story was behind all of that? Was it LK's cancer/health making a bigger dent than we figured? Were LK and staff shooting too high for recruits still out of reach? I never expected us to recruit punch for punch with UofA and UCLA, but I thought we were better than surviving off of D1 transfers and JCs. I thought solid 3-stars and 4-stars were within grasp with the occasional top 100 kid - more like this last cycle has gone. Why that weird blip?

I think Larry thought with the new success, the players going to the NBA and the new facilities, the five star kids would start rolling in.

I don't he realized how dirty basketball recruiting is.

So I think he changed courses and started going after the Delon Wright's and Kuzma's.

The 2017 class was great, it's too bad there were so many missionaries (for Utah basketball, not the boys) but it was a good class.

And it has only gone up from there.

Exciting times to be a Ute...since 2003. Ha ha.

Even with the class being full, the staff is looking to upgrade the talent in the frontcourt for the 2018 class.

6'10 Joseph Hedstrom visited this past weekend. He also has offers from Boise and Wisconsin. He is from the twin cities area. Early crystal ball picks had him going Wisconsin but there's also some pro utah stuff there as well.

6'10 Filip Petrusev from Serbia via montverde academy in fl will visit this weekend after a midweek visit to Gonzaga. Most experts think he will end up at Gonzaga but who knows.

Hedstrom has committed to Wisconsin.

Kylor Kelley and Warren Washington, bigs who had visited Utah, have both opted for Oregon State. I don't think the Utes' staff has spent much time on either in a few weeks at least.

Petrusev would be a nice addition, but with a full, solid class, it wont break us if he indeed goes to the Zags.

I'm quite interested to see how Oregon State does in the next few years. It seems as though, for whatever reason, that program has gotten quite a few good recruits in the last couple of years.

Hedstrom has committed to Wisconsin.

Kylor Kelley and Warren Washington, bigs who had visited Utah, have both opted for Oregon State. I don't think the Utes' staff has spent much time on either in a few weeks at least.

Petrusev would be a nice addition, but with a full, solid class, it wont break us if he indeed goes to the Zags.

The early signing period begins today. Crossing my fingers that the Runnin' Utes come through this drama free.

The early signing period begins today. Crossing my fingers that the Runnin' Utes come through this drama free.

Instagram tells me that Timmy Allen and naseem gaskin are in. Who else are we expecting (I don't follow hoops recruits)

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Instagram tells me that Timmy Allen and naseem gaskin are in. Who else are we expecting (I don't follow hoops recruits)
    I think the only one left for 2018 is Riley Battin.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    I think the only one left for 2018 is Riley Battin.
    There's also Charles Jones Jr, a guard from CSI. He may be the highest immediate impact of this group.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    There's also Charles Jones Jr, a guard from CSI. He may be the highest immediate impact of this group.
    I saw a tweet with Jones at CSI in Utes gear and he looked to be signing with his teammates (four total, one going to USU, one to Pitt, and one to Idaho). Battin has been retweeting the others as they celebrate their signings. It appears we are going to avoid a Noah Togiai situation this year.

I believe every 2018 has signed. Gaskin, Allen, Jones, and Battin.

I believe every 2018 has signed. Gaskin, Allen, Jones, and Battin.
    Yep, I'm guessing that Jones and Battin must have come in this evening after some staffer was off the clock and thus no announcement from the U, but there is twitter evidence of both signing their LOIs. Now it's just a matter of seeing if Utah can find a quality big man to sign in the spring (as well as fill any other holes created by attrition).

Someone has arrived at the office.

Not sure what my issue is this morning.

Battin.JPG
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 11-09-2017 at 08:28 AM.

I give up on this thread. https://twitter.com/UtahMBB/status/928654863038169088

This is for those who think it’s still 1985 in Salt Lake (cough-cough Seattle Ute cough-cough).

Salt Lake City named the second most hipster city in the U.S.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...in-the-us.html

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is for those who think it’s still 1985 in Salt Lake (cough-cough Seattle Ute cough-cough).

Salt Lake City named the second most hipster city in the U.S.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...in-the-us.html
    Dude! Why do think we moved here?!?
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I just moved here...still trying to buy a house. Grew up in Ogden/SLC and left the state 20+ years ago. Not easy finding a desired house in Millcreek/Holladay area. Also considering Fruit Hts and Cottonwood Hts. Any input is appreciated.

p.s. I know this has nothing to do with 2018 recruiting. ha

I just moved here...still trying to buy a house. Grew up in Ogden/SLC and left the state 20+ years ago. Not easy finding a desired house in Millcreek/Holladay area. Also considering Fruit Hts and Cottonwood Hts. Any input is appreciated.

Great areas if you have $500,000 to $1,000,000 for a house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Great areas if you have $500,000 to $1,000,000 for a house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't want to spend $1mm. That said, $500k doesn't quite cut it for nicer homes and nicer parts of Millcreek/Holladay. Still not sure whether Fruit Hts is too far. I travel a lot, so airport access is import -- not an issue from Fruit Hts; however, for access to nice/eclectic restaurants in SLC, Fruit Hts may be a bit far. Not sure yet.

Really intrigued by what Timmy Allen will do in our program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0KHWsuyfhM

Really intrigued by what Timmy Allen will do in our program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0KHWsuyfhM
    Barring a transfer or two either direction , I think you can take it to the bank that next year's starting five will be Charles Jones at the point, two of Allen, Barefield, and Doutrive on the wings (odd man out there becoming the 6th man), Tillman at the 4 and JJ in the middle.

We will be selling our home in Holladay (4900 South, 4 blocks west of I-215) in the next few months. Rambler, 3600 sq. ft., 3 bed, 2 ba, upstairs; 2 bed, 1 ba downstairs. $670k

Barring a transfer or two either direction , I think you can take it to the bank that next year's starting five will be Charles Jones at the point, two of Allen, Barefield, and Doutrive on the wings (odd man out there becoming the 6th man), Tillman at the 4 and JJ in the middle.
    I like Tillman. He needs to do what Loveridge did after his freshman season and that is, develop a consistent 3 point shot. I wish he was 6'9 instead of 6'5.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I like Tillman. He needs to do what Loveridge did after his freshman season and that is, develop a consistent 3 point shot. I wish he was 6'9 instead of 6'5.

If he were 6'9" he probably wouldn't be a Ute.

Isn't he 6'7"? Or, is that just a "paper" 6'7"?

We will be selling our home in Holladay (4900 South, 4 blocks west of I-215) in the next few months. Rambler, 3600 sq. ft., 3 bed, 2 ba, upstairs; 2 bed, 1 ba downstairs. $670k
    Thanks much, UTEopia. Trying to keep under $600k. Just put int a couple of offers around East Millcreek. Had put in an offer on a house around 4600 S & 2500 E, but decided to walk away because of the renovation cost.

Isn't he 6'7"? Or, is that just a "paper" 6'7"?
    His listed height is just like anyone else's.....slightly embellished.