Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

I guess we don't have one of these yet.

A name you may recognize: Cam Krystkoviak.

Maybe this is where the Coach Tinkle/Tres Tinkle karma swings back in our direction? I would guess that if he's a high-major talent that he's ours to lose. If he's a mid-major talent, he's Montana's to lose. I have zero basis of fact for that opinion, but let's just start from there and see what happens. Haha.

2018 Recruiting Thread

This is what Krysko has to deal with as he tries to recruit non-turds, while keeping the program clean:

(Yes, I know Geno Auriemma is a women's coach, but the principle is the same.)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-21-2017 at 12:03 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is what Krysko has to deal with as he tries to recruit non-turds, while keeping the program clean:

https://youtu.be/tp4mIONS51E

(Yes, I know Geno Auriemma is a women's coach, but the principle is the same.)
    He could be a Jr. Jazz coach for all I care. That is the message a coach needs to send to players.

According to the Twitter world, Larry has an in home visit with 2018 forward Warren Washington from California. He is a bruiser at 6'9 and 190 (not a typo, just sarcasm). Has offers from sdsu, cal, and Boise. Not sure if those are offers or Offers but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    According to the Twitter world, Larry has an in home visit with 2018 forward Warren Washington from California. He is a bruiser at 6'9 and 190 (not a typo, just sarcasm). Has offers from sdsu, cal, and Boise. Not sure if those are offers or Offers but we will see.
    It's interesting how the time tables differ for football and basketball. I'm pretty sure that coaches can have no in-person contact with a prospect out side of unofficial visits to the campus and visits to the high school until after the prospects senior season begins.

Utebuntu tweeted out a picture of Larry and Warren this morning. To me, he is the type of guy I want on this team. He isn't the kind of recruit that the bigger schools are poaching and hes the kind of guy who will be here all four years and by the last couple years could be a really nice player (insert your favorite tired, worn out transfer joke here).

Hes got an interesting highlight video. I have never claimed to be a master evaluator, but the competition here seems subpar. Id be interested to see him (And I cant believe im going to say this......) in an AAU setting. He does show good passing ability, as well as some solid handles and post moves, but i would like to see it against better competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mzMjZ-ZDYE

Utebuntu tweeted out a picture of Larry and Warren this morning. To me, he is the type of guy I want on this team. He isn't the kind of recruit that the bigger schools are poaching and hes the kind of guy who will be here all four years and by the last couple years could be a really nice player (insert your favorite tired, worn out transfer joke here).
    Yes, exactly. If we had a team full of Tuckers, Loveridges, and Bachinskys, I think we could do some good things. All you need is the occasional Delon, and (to quote Austin Collie), "the magic happens."

Hes got an interesting highlight video. I have never claimed to be a master evaluator, but the competition here seems subpar. Id be interested to see him (And I cant believe im going to say this......) in an AAU setting. He does show good passing ability, as well as some solid handles and post moves, but i would like to see it against better competition.

He seems decent. Not much lift and not the most fluid athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    He seems decent. Not much lift and not the most fluid athlete.
    He'll fit right in with most of our guys!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

there is an AAU highlight on Utube---he has decent range.

3*--which is type of player that Utah can recruit & develop.

Just going by the eyeball test, he's definitely got length, and he appears to be physically immature, which is what you'd normally expect from a high school kid who is 6-10 and not getting Valentine's Day cards from Calipari.

You're right, it's difficult to gage what he brings based on the competition on the video, but watching Poeltl dismantle the freshman Chimezie Metu last year, I'll take upside, some maturation time and hard work from a kid with that kind of undeveloped potential. This kid reminds me of Metu, from 2015-2016. (I wonder what Metu's HS video looked like.)

New offer. Brock Cunningham, a 6'7" 3/4 player. Not physical at this stage, but seems to be skilled. Has offers from OU, Ok State, Missouri, among others.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/10558

We lost Erik Stevenson, a 2* SG, to Wichita State.

according to Ubuntu, he committed to WSU immediately after leaving our camp. Ubuntu prayed to the basketball gods on twitter, asking what we have done to offend them and how we can repent.

I didn't realize he was a 2 star kid. I think SoCalPat must be chasing them off.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    according to Ubuntu, he committed to WSU immediately after leaving our camp. Ubuntu prayed to the basketball gods on twitter, asking what we have done to offend them and how we can repent.
    This all started happening when we restored Utefans.net. I blame LA Ute.

It's amazing to see the weird swing of momentum this coaching staff has had. It started rough (as we expected it would) but by the time LK had a Sweet 16 with D. Wright and hauled in an impressive third recruiting class of Chapman, Kuzma, I. Wright, and Poeltl it seemed like we were on our way to the Promised Land. And then, almost like the swing of a pendulum, it feels like little has gone right since then.

Oddly, it seems like about the time that the new practice facility was completed (that we all expected to be our recruiting ace up the sleeve) momentum has totally stalled. I hate to be one of those Chicken Little fans, because there's a lot to still be stoked about. But I'll admit, the "easy sledding" I was expecting as a new P5 with a deep history, a good coach, and passionate fanbase hasn't been so easy.

I'm hoping these are just a couple bumpy years we'll look back on and laugh about, not the beginning of another Ute hoops wasteland that we endured before LK.
    Last edited by FountainOfUte; 06-21-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    This all started happening when we restored Utefans.net. I blame LA Ute.
    Hooplor. . . Orange Crush. . . Hip thrusting. . . MPFunk
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Outsider vantage point: Given Utah's recent annual player-turnover exercise, I'm wondering if the coaches have lost some credibility in the recruiting circle.

Before anyone reacts to my above-comment, not saying we are better or worse than our competition regarding player-turnover, nor am I implying the recent recruits aren't good. Just speculating. Even LK has stated that he, and the coaching staff I assume, needs to do a much better job. In the end, I don't pay much attention to drama. I usually try to let the on-the-court outcome/result dictate my reaction.

Vis-a-vis LK's remuneration, other P12 BB programs, and other similar profiled basketball programs, if LK can't sustain some level of success, then he should eventually go. Although I try not to over-value Utah's basketball prowess or history, I think we should maintain certain level of consistency regarding our competitiveness. We are ok for now. Let's see how it plays out.
    Last edited by justaute; 06-21-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

Is it at all possible that he left the camp without a commitable offer?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Is it at all possible that he left the camp without a commitable offer?
    maybe, that would make sense. but utebuntu posted that we really wanted him.

Utebuntu‏ @Utebuntu Jun 20More

Utebuntu Retweeted Stevie
    Utah recruited Erik hard. Someone they really liked in 2018. Commits to Wichita state the day after leaving Utah's Elite Camp. Ouch.
    Stevie @ej_st

Last edited by concerned; 06-21-2017 at 09:07 PM.

We made the top 6 for F/C Riley Battin. In what might be the most unique top 6 we have ever made, we are in there with Davidson, Clemson, Ohio State, Vanderbilt and Colorado. He has visited unofficially and will come here on an official visit in September. Our coaches have been on him for a long time. I dont have any idea what our chances are, but our fan base came out loud and proud on his tweet and he seemed to like that. I think he would be great in our system.

We also made the top 5 for Timmy Allen, along with UCLA, SDSU, Iowa St, and Texas Tech. He is a four star, fringe top 100 prospect. His 247 crystal ball is 50/50 UCLA/ASU but both predictions are more than a year old so.........essentially meaningless.

http://247sports.com/Player/Timmy-Allen-91650
    http://247sports.com/Player/Riley-Battin-89255

We are frequently on the list, just not usually the final choice.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    We are frequently on the list, just not usually the final choice.
    Here is to change in 2018! Perhaps out of necessity more than anything, we HAVE to start closing the deal in this class. We will have 5-6 openings (and that is before the annual and inevitable transfer or two). Need to really nail it this year. I think we will.

Battin trimmed his list to four and we made the cut! He will be visiting Sep 15 with his final visit being Vanderbilt in October.

Battin trimmed his list to four and we made the cut! He will be visiting Sep 15 with his final visit being Vanderbilt in October.
    So we are at least a potential bridesmaid! Good! We know that role very well!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-20-2017 at 04:48 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    So we are at least a potential bridesmaid! Good! We know that role very well!

via GIPHY

Last edited by LA Ute; 08-20-2017 at 04:48 PM.

New commit.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-Jones-II.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk