Thread: Red Rocks 2017 - Flipping towards the championship

Hybrid View

Red Rocks 2017 - Flipping towards the championship

What's up with Stover? Why isn't she in the Washington meet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    What's up with Stover? Why isn't she in the Washington meet?

She usually only competes on Beam

If you only watch a few routines of a meet this year, pick the floor routines for Rowe and Skinner.

via GIPHY

Last edited by U-Ute; 01-28-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Utes lose Tessen for the year with a torn Achilles. That's two season ending injuries in 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Utes lose Tessen for the year with a torn Achilles. That's two season ending injuries in 2 weeks

That Achilles injury is such a nasty one. Hats off to any athlete that comes back from one of those. Especially gymnasts.

Why does UCLA have 21 girls on their roster? That seems counter productive.

Why does UCLA have 21 girls on their roster? That seems counter productive.

A lot of teams take a lot of walkons.

UCLA has always liked to have a "b" team to give their "a" team rests.

Utah has always felt they should keep the roster at the NCAA limit so they can spend more time
    Coaching those athletes.

Skinner wins her fourth straight Pac-12 Player of the Week. Not a bad start for the freshman.

I attended the Utah vs UCLA gymnastics meet last night. Although I usually watch parts of several meets on television every year, it was the first meet I have attended in a long, long time. What a great experience. The fans were loud and excited to be there. The entertainment level was high and, the gymnasts on both teams were really, really good. The football and basketball teams need a player like Mykayla Skinner. Not only is she extremely talented, she is enthusiastic, animated and a little in your face cocky. She attacks the opportunity and owns it.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I attended the Utah vs UCLA gymnastics meet last night. Although I usually watch parts of several meets on television every year, it was the first meet I have attended in a long, long time. What a great experience. The fans were loud and excited to be there. The entertainment level was high and, the gymnasts on both teams were really, really good. The football and basketball teams need a player like Mykayla Skinner. Not only is she extremely talented, she is enthusiastic, animated and a little in your face cocky. She attacks the opportunity and owns it.

We got season tickets last year to take our 12 year old. I knew nothing about gymnastics, other that watching the Olympics. We have really, really enjoyed it. Last night we said, this is watching college sports at its very best. You wont see college atheletes at this level in Utah very often. Baely Rowe and McKenna {forgot last name} really stepped up last night too, but Skinner is a cut above. Schwab was our favorite last year; losing her to the Achilles tear really hurts.

Last night was the first time I have heard judges booed. Trib article said the UCLA coach was pissed because some fans were harassing his gymnasts. We couldnt tell, but did notice the UCLA gymnasts interacting with the first row of fans at the end, maybe not in a good way.

I wanted to ask Diehard--how are the judges chosen? Do they come from the conference or some sort of competition federation? How many are there for each event? three? My wife several times thought that the blond female judge in the blue jacket kept giving approving nods or glances to the UCLA gymnasts during the beam, but did nothing like that for the U gymnasts. I assume she was the one getting booed. How Kyla Rowe got a 9.95 after almost falling is a question.

Kyla Rowe was an Olympian in 2012. My daughter said she grew 5 or 6 inches after that; she is 5'7 and must weigh at least 130 or more -- ujnlike 99% of other gymnasts, although McKenna is also about 5'7".

Oh and I have to say this. I've been attending Utah meets since 1991. I went to Nationals from 1998 to 2007.

MyKayla Skinner is the best gymnast I've ever seen at Utah. Her consistency and fire is above anyone we've ever had.

Grown men giving the bird, as caught on the television broadcast. If JDart is our most unruly fan, I have to think we're doing okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Grown men giving the bird, as caught on the television broadcast. If JDart is our most unruly fan, I have to think we're doing okay.

Hahah... I tweeted him that I saw him on TV. I think he is now officially the most famous person who may know I exist.

Well, except for LA Ute. But I don't like to admit that.

Hahah... I tweeted him that I saw him on TV. I think he is now officially the most famous person who may know I exist.

Well, except for LA Ute. But I don't like to admit that.
    Hey now. I'm on TV all the time....but I try like hell to avoid it.

So I noticed that Oregon, Colorado, WSU and USC are not participating in the Pac 12 championship. Do they not have women's gymnastics teams or is the meet limited to the top 8 teams at the end of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    So I noticed that Oregon, Colorado, WSU and USC are not participating in the Pac 12 championship. Do they not have women's gymnastics teams or is the meet limited to the top 8 teams at the end of the season?
    They don't have teams.

Yet MyKayla Skinner is not named gymnast or freshman of the year. No Utes win awards.....something smells fishy

The gymnast, freshman, coach of the year etc are voted on by the coaches.

Obviously the gymnastics coaches have some jealousy or politics issues

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The gymnast, freshman, coach of the year etc are voted on by the coaches.

Obviously the gymnastics coaches have some jealousy or politics issues

I blame JDart.

But yeah, pretty obvious slight there.

This account seems particularly salty.

This account seems particularly salty.

Gymnastics fans are mostly asses. When I ran the gym board it was awful. That's why I finally quit.

Utah has never been liked, mostly because our coach never kissed anyones ass.

MyKayla is disliked by a lot of fans, many for their perception that she's arrogant, which is sort of funny because everyone at the U who interacts with her says just the opposite.

Utah advances to the Super Six in a year where they've lost 2 of their best gymnasts to injury.

MyKayla wins the floor title and takes second on the all around. Impressive as scores soared during the second session.

Championship is tonight at 7 on ESPNU

We ended up 5th. Saw that skinner finished with the best floor routine. First since missy marlow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd be interested in getting Diehard's opinion on the new assistant coach hire. I was really impressed with Denver this year. Seems like a good replacement.

I'd be interested in getting Diehard's opinion on the new assistant coach hire. I was really impressed with Denver this year. Seems like a good replacement.
    He's a good hire.

He'll coach vault and floor most likely, he's been very successful there. His Florida time translates more to what he'll do at Utah, but what he did at Denver is impressive.

I was actually somewhat surprised to see Meredith get a head job. She's a good coach, but doesn't have a ton of collegiate experience.

She just finished her freshmen year of high school and already has a scholarship to college. Good for her and the Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    She just finished her freshmen year of high school and already has a scholarship to college. Good for her and the Utes.

Gymnastics recruiting is ridiculously stupid.

They just banned visits for juniors, but left a camp exception in. It's nuts.