Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court Nomination

Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court Nomination

We might as well have a separate thread for this as the confirmation drama unfolds.

For starters, a pro-Gorsuch article:

Neil Gorsuch: A Worthy Heir to Scalia

Here's a Politico profile:

Neil Gorsuch: Who is he? Bio, facts, background and political views

SCOTUSBlog summary:

Potential nominee profile: Neil Gorsuch
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-31-2017 at 06:14 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    Great pick. The liberals are going to struggle to stop his appointment.

I think Senators Hatch and McConnell are correct, and that we shouldn't let a lame duck president pick a SCOTUS nominee.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I think Senators Hatch and McConnell are correct, and that we shouldn't let a lame duck president pick a SCOTUS nominee.

The Repubs played hardball with the Merrick Garland nomination and they should expect the Dems to do the same now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The Repubs played hardball with the Merrick Garland nomination and they should expect the Dems to do the same now.
    And so on and so on forever for all nominees and cabinet appointees. It's the new way of doing things.

Maybe we'll never appoint another supreme court justice, and one by one they will pass away until Clarence Thomas is the most powerful man in the USA and he finally has to say something during a case.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    And so on and so on forever for all nominees and cabinet appointees. It's the new way of doing things.

Maybe we'll never appoint another supreme court justice, and one by one they will pass away until Clarence Thomas is the most powerful man in the USA and he finally has to say something during a case.
    He already did. Your plan has failed.

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/29/468600...-quiet-justice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    He already did. Your plan has failed.

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/29/468600...-quiet-justice
    Well, it will be funnier if Justice Ginsberg is the last one left. She's so little, it would be cute.

The Republicans never had to pay for that little stunt. The crazy thing is they could have easily defeated Garland in a full vote, but they didn't even allow him to come up for debate, let alone a floor vote. One man, McConnell, refused to even let the nomination come out of committee.

But nothing will come of it, because Democrats never play hardball. They always cave in. Most of them will end up voting for this candidate anyway.

This nominee is a huge fan of Scalia. It will be interesting to know whether he is as scholarly and bookish as Scalia, and will even follow precedent and the Constitution to make decisions that he personally dislikes, as did Scalia.

And like Scalia, I am sure he will choose to follow his faith over following the Constitution in certain areas (esp. abortion, LGBT rights).

Actually now Kennedy is the most powerful, because he is the potential swing vote.

This NY Times op-ed by a liberal Obama administration lawyer will convince even NWUF that Gorsuch is the man.

Why Liberals Should Back Neil Gorsuch

--Yeats

So no second term president can nominate a Justice? That's crazy. I'm going to be happy with whoever we get, but I really don't like how the republicans handled this. It's not how the system is supposed to work.

I am sure he will choose to follow his faith over following the Constitution in certain areas (esp. abortion, LGBT rights).
    Yeah, totally went against all those amendments about abortion and lgbt rights.

Most reviews I read speak highly of Gorsuch. I think this is a good nominee. Some people are wanting this to be a crazy uber right wing nomination and it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Most reviews I read speak highly of Gorsuch. I think this is a good nominee. Some people are wanting this to be a crazy uber right wing nomination and it isn't.

Yeah, he's as good as can be hoped for. I don't think the dems should play hardball. What the republicans did was stupid and petty; mud and pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yeah, he's as good as can be hoped for. I don't think the dems should play hardball. What the republicans did was stupid and petty; mud and pigs.
    And they've magically erased what they did from their own memories. It's beyond pathetic.

It's beyond pathetic.
    It is beyond pathetic. It's politics.

It is beyond pathetic. It's politics.
    This. Both sides do this crap and then conveniently forget. Nothing... NOTHING has to do with principles any more.

Goruch is a slam dunk, but so was Garland. I fully expect the democrats to bork Goruch, and I'm not sure I blame them given the politics the republicans played with Garland. This is gonna be ugly.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Goruch is a slam dunk, but so was Garland. I fully expect the democrats to bork Goruch, and I'm not sure I blame them given the politics the republicans played with Garland. This is gonna be ugly.
    AP is reporting Republicans changed the rules today and passed the Treasury and Health secretaries out of committee

Democrats had boycotted the hearing as they wanted more time to ask questions. The rules required at least one democrat in the room but republicans changed that rule and passed the nominees.

Our country is being run by entitled asshats.

And we keep re-electing them, so what does that make us?

asshat.jpg

--Yeats

I recognize how naive this position is, but I am very bothered by the notion that Supreme Court justices always have their minds made up on key cases & issues that have yet to materialize.

Conservative Eisenhower appointed Earl Warren, after all, and the Warren Court was responsible for some of the most sweeping progressive court decisions in American history.

Gorsuch appears on paper to be qualified. So the guy is a some kind of strict constructionist. That isn't exactly the most damning criticism I can think of in a judge.

If the "liberals" (whatever that means anymore, and I probably fall more in this camp than the other) are so worried about what Supreme Court Justice Gorsuch would mean, I suggest they make better & stronger arguments, work to pass better & stronger laws, etc.

There is a system in place. It usually moves really slowly, but the overall arc of justice in the history of the US has been undeniably progressive in nature.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Gorsuch will make it through, and he will be decent enough. I have issues with his support for Hobby Lobby, his apparent disdain for regulations including good ones (his mother was the head of EPA and tried to destroy it entirely), and his ruling that a cop who tased a teenaged kid in the head (against protocol, and resulted in the kid's death) was not excessive force. I hope the senators grill him deeply on the Citizen's United case and its impact on money in politics.

Gorsuch is a highly respectable judge with an impeccable resume. He will likely get elected without much of a fuss.

And for the record, what happened to Garland was significantly worse than what happened to Bork. Robert Bork made it out of committee, went through debate on the Senate floor, and the final vote was 42-58. Six Republicans voted against him. Bork's actions in the Nixon administration doomed him (especially since he was the person who carried out Nixon's illegal order and fired the independent investigator in the Saturday Night Massacre - according to his memoirs, Nixon promised him a SCOTUS nomination in exchange).

McConnell never even allowed the Judiciary committee to vote on Garland, and thus never even moved the conversation to the full Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

If the "liberals" (whatever that means anymore, and I probably fall more in this camp than the other) are so worried about what Supreme Court Justice Gorsuch would mean, I suggest they make better & stronger arguments, work to pass better & stronger laws, etc.

There is a system in place. It usually moves really slowly, but the overall arc of justice in the history of the US has been undeniably progressive in nature.
    I wish the people like Hannity, Limbaugh, and Bannon who have made the word 'liberal' into a four-letter word would spend some time in a decidedly illiberal, totalitarian nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    So no second term president can nominate a Justice? That's crazy. I'm going to be happy with whoever we get, but I really don't like how the republicans handled this. It's not how the system is supposed to work.
    I didn't think it necessary to include the "/s"

Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court Nomination

and his ruling that a cop who tased a teenaged kid in the head (against protocol, and resulted in the kid's death) was not excessive force.
    So I've read several articles now and am curious on a couple of things.

1) What protocol are you citing? Is it merely the failure to warn someone they're going to be tased (that's the only protocol I've seen mentioned anywhere)

2) What are you contending was excessive?

Last edited by Diehard Ute; 02-01-2017 at 02:36 PM.

I wish the people like Hannity, Limbaugh, and Bannon who have made the word 'liberal' into a four-letter word would spend some time in a decidedly illiberal, totalitarian nation.
    It worked, didn't it? You're all "progressives" now.

(I kid, I kid.)

--Yeats

It worked, didn't it? You're all "progressives" now.

(I kid, I kid.)
    I was at a question-and-answer session once for my university up in the SLC area, and a heckler-parent complained that we should teach "conservative arts" instead of "liberal arts."
    I told this parent that maybe he needed to go back to college to learn what the term "liberal arts" meant. I laughed as I said it, but my eyes weren't laughing. He didn't even pretend to laugh. I"m guessing his kid didn't go to my school. Win-win!
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I was at a question-and-answer session once for my university up in the SLC area, and a heckler-parent complained that we should teach "conservative arts" instead of "liberal arts."
    I told this parent that maybe he needed to go back to college to learn what the term "liberal arts" meant. I laughed as I said it, but my eyes weren't laughing. He didn't even pretend to laugh. I"m guessing his kid didn't go to my school. Win-win!
    Guessing he's one of those fine folks who loves to call people "Libtards" these days.