Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court Nomination

I keep hearing people talking about a deeply fractured Republican Party but never the same is said about the Democrats. Is it because they are just a gooey mess?

Who are the vocal leaders right now even? Shumer and Pelosi? Sanders? Who is the up-and-coming contender for Trump? If there was ever an incumbent currently set up for a loss it has to be Trump right now.

I mean, they lost to Donald Trump and control of everything. This new dawn of enlightened politics they were claiming is further away.

Nobody is talking about the utter mess the dems are right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 03-22-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I keep hearing people talking about a deeply fractured Republican Party but never the same is said about the Democrats. Is it because they are just a gooey mess?

Who are the vocal leaders right now even? Shumer and Pelosi? Sanders? Who is the up-and-coming contender for Trump? If there was ever an incumbent currently set up for a loss it has to be Trump right now.

I mean, they lost to Donald Trump and control of everything. This new dawn of enlightened politics they were claiming is further away.

Nobody is talking about the utter mess the dems are right now.

Here's one analysis, which I neither endorse nor disagree with:

http://www.nbcnews.com/specials/demo...t-in-the-lurch

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

"After careful deliberation, I have concluded that I cannot support Judge Neil Gorsuch's nomination to the Supreme Court," -- Chuck Schumer

LOL.....Schumer is a tool, a liar, a farce and a disgrace to the United States Senate. He may not support Gorsuch, but let's not kid ourselves.....it was NOT after careful deliberation. Gorsuch has impeccable credentials, is brilliant, follows the law, and passes the temperament test with flying colors. In short, he killed it. Schumer......a complete buffoon running his own kabuki theater.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ourt/22008988/
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Al Hunt (a serious liberal) pinpoints the real reason the Dems are opposing Gorsuch: They don't want to face a primary opponent. Seems the Democrats have their own version of the Tea Party.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...orsuch-problem

--Yeats

And to think that just a few years ago, I was constantly hearing that the filibuster is outdated, undemocratic, and probably racist.

--Yeats

I'm coming around on the Filibuster. Most Americans probably have no idea what it is, and it defies the simple "majority rules" mindset we have.

Get rid of it. It's almost as anachronistic as the Electoral College.

If McConnell won't get rid of it now, it would certainly come up again with the next nominee, whether that's another Trump selection or whoever the next President is (assuming there is a next President).

The Filibuster is from a different era. I don't see any way we're going back to that time.

Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court Nomination

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I'm coming around on the Filibuster. Most Americans probably have no idea what it is, and it defies the simple "majority rules" mindset we have.

If McConnell won't get rid of it now, it would certainly come up again with the next nominee, whether that's another Trump selection or whoever the next President is (assuming there is a next President).

The Filibuster is from a different era. I don't see any way we're going back to that time.
    It is what we might call "extra-constitutional," meaning it is not mentioned there at all. I think it was in the 1970s that an extra "track" was added, so that instead of stopping everything the Senate is doing (see "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"), the filibuster means that legislation being filibustered is simply set aside while the Senate moves on to other things. The result is that you need a super-majority to get certain things passed, even though the Constitution requires a super-majority only for very specific things. Right now it's causing problems for the Republicans, but it will cause problems for the Democrats someday too. It should be abolished, or maybe we should just go back to the one-track system.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It is what we might call "extra-constitutional," meaning it is not mentioned there at all. I think it was in the 1970s that an extra "track" was added, so that instead of stopping everything the Senate is doing (see "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"), the filibuster means that legislation being filibustered is simply set aside while the Senate moves on to other things. The result is that you need a super-majority to get certain things passed, even though the Constitution requires a super-majority only for very specific things. Right now it's causing problems for the Republicans, but it will cause problems for the Democrats someday too. It should be abolished, or maybe we should just go back to the one-track system.
    I remember learning from J.D. Williams that the Filibuster was a moderating instrument. Even the minority could exert influence on things coming through the Senate, causing the majority, and / or the House and the Executive to compromise (apologies for using French here).

It was a different time...

So I think it is a stretch to call Gorsuch an objectionable nomination. The question is why would the democrats risk the nuclear option when they'll likely need it for another nominee in the future.

This seems like a poor strategy on the left's part.

The Progressive Case Against Filibustering Gorsuch

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    So I think it is a stretch to call Gorsuch an objectionable nomination. The question is why would the democrats risk the nuclear option when they'll likely need it for another nominee in the future.

This seems like a poor strategy on the left's part.
    The Dems are working hard to take back the Senate in 2018, maybe 2020, which makes it easy to stonewall any new Trump appointees, ala the McConnell stonewall on Garland. Having the drama of a rules debate out of the way now, the confirmation vote can be quick and emphatic. Goes thru committee on whatever vote, goes to Senate, a debate could occur in a few hours, vote up or down, "Tell Trump to try again!" Nice, quick, clean, fast... government efficiency on steroids. Opposing presidents would need a bullpen of candidates.

If Dems have the WH and the Senate, the challenge will be how fast to get pick #1 through will minimal discussion, and possibly use that nifty Rule 19 to squelch any opposers who get frustrated and make a misstep in complaining, ala Elizabeth Warren.

The Dems are working hard to take back the Senate in 2018, maybe 2020, which makes it easy to stonewall any new Trump appointees, ala the McConnell stonewall on Garland. Having the drama of a rules debate out of the way now, the confirmation vote can be quick and emphatic. Goes thru committee on whatever vote, goes to Senate, a debate could occur in a few hours, vote up or down, "Tell Trump to try again!" Nice, quick, clean, fast... government efficiency on steroids. Opposing presidents would need a bullpen of candidates.

If Dems have the WH and the Senate, the challenge will be how fast to get pick #1 through will minimal discussion, and possibly use that nifty Rule 19 to squelch any opposers who get frustrated and make a misstep in complaining, ala Elizabeth Warren.
    It's a dangerous misstep by still flailing democrats based on presumptions. What happens 'if' they don't take back anything? We only need to look as far back as their presumptive nominee and how well that went for them, to know how easy it is to predict the future.

At some point, Trump will likely find a way to steady the ship. In fact, you could argue that has begun to happen with the ousting of Bannon, to whom he basically said: "You're fired." Trump is who he is. He was a moderate and democrat first, as was/is his son in-law and daughter, before they became born again republicans. Trumps lean right was a brilliant calculation that got him elected.

Also, the more news media and late night comedians go after him, the more he becomes entrenched as the under dog; the punchline that defied all odds and ended up, improbably, on top when confronted with his "one shining moment." His underdog status will always play well with the silent majority of "independent" US voters. Those that turned their nose's away from the stench of his behavior and voted for him. The same people he won't hesitate to fleece.

How many more justices will Trump need to replace is the real question? I'm happy with the Gorsuch nomination. He will be a brilliant addition to the Supreme Court. The Dems and liberals just don't seem to get it. You can't mercilessly mock and continue to condescend without their being consequences. Trump is that consequence, and his influence won't be fleeting.
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-07-2017 at 07:27 AM.

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    At some point, Trump will likely find a way to steady the ship. In fact, you could argue that has begun to happen with the ousting of Bannon, to whom he basically said: "You're fired." Trump is who he is. He was a moderate and democrat first, as was/is his son in-law and daughter, before they became born again republicans. Trumps lean right was a brilliant calculation that got him elected.

Also, the more news media and late night comedians go after him, the more he becomes entrenched as the under dog; the punchline that defied all odds and ended up, improbably, on top when confronted with his "one shining moment." His underdog status will always play well with the silent majority of "independent" US voters. Those that turned their nose's away from the stench of his behavior and voted for him. The same people he won't hesitate to fleece.

How many more justices will Trump need to replace is the real question? I'm happy with the Gorsuch nomination. He will be a brilliant addition to the Supreme Court. The Dems and liberals just don't seem to get it. You can't mercilessly mock and continue to condescend without their being consequences. Trump is that consequence, and his influence won't be fleeting.
    mUUser's post prompted me to re-read your post.

Wow, how much has changed in a year - Bannon's gone but Trump's carrying his message to Europe, Alt-Right ideas are manifested by Trump's proposal to cut legal immigration in half, Miller is ascendant, the GOP has unquestionably become the POT, with free trade, fiscal responsibility and immigration all dramatically changed issues for people who previously were Republicans.

At the same time, the anti-Trump dynamic has intensified, and things look "murky". If Trump successfully makes Maxine Waters the poster child for anyone who opposes him...

… football season is coming up!

At the same time, the anti-Trump dynamic has intensified, and things look "murky". If Trump successfully makes Maxine Waters the poster child for anyone who opposes him...

… football season is coming up!
    I agree that Trump hatred has intensified, but his approval rating keeps creeping up, slowly but surely. There's a ceiling to that, but I wonder how many "shy Tories" are being polled -- people who like what he's doing but won't admit it? People seem willing to separate the man's personal behavior from the results he gets -- i.e., the economy. Kind of like Bill Clinton, whose approval ratings were just fine during all his personal behavior troubles.

Anyway, serious, often visceral and unreasoning Trump hatred on the left getting worse -- and the Dems generally running to the left; plus serious Trump hero-worship among many on the other end of the spectrum, and a bunch of ambivalent people in the middle who find him repugnant but kind of like how things are going. Weird mix. Who knows what will happen? Not much good, I think.

Maxine Waters has been saying crazy things for decades. Nobody really cares.

--Yeats

Maxine Waters has been saying crazy things for decades. Nobody really cares.
    I agree. I think she's a terrible example, and a prime opportunity for Trump to (subliminally) drive the wedge deeper against immigrants & minorities. ("Hey Mia - you're in the wrong party, dear.")

For Democrats - and for the nation, really - I think it would be good if somebody stepped up and punched the bully in the nose. But this bully has the principal and the school board in his back-pocket, and half the school in his corner. Maybe the young Ms. Cortez, who just beat the 10 term Democrat House leader Joe Cowley... but that's a lot to ask of a 28 year old.

…….and the Dems generally running to the left......

Here's a recent poll concerning Dems that may run in 2020. Needless to say, far, far, far left....Why won't any of the "Joe's" step up? If this is what we get in 2020 I'll be writing in my vote again. I'm thinking Condoleezza Rice this time around.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...oll/740370002/

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Here's a recent poll concerning Dems that may run in 2020. Needless to say, far, far, far left....Why won't any of the "Joe's" step up? If this is what we get in 2020 I'll be writing in my vote again. I'm thinking Condoleezza Rice this time around.
    Join me in voting for Alex Smith again. Not only is he cool and a Ute, he'd be a better president than anyone on the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Join me in voting for Alex Smith again. Not only is he cool and a Ute, he'd be a better president than anyone on the ballot.

Done.