Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 381

Thread: 2018 Football Recruiting thread

  1. #241
    That is too bad. Unfortunately the most important word in the phrase 'student athlete' is the former, not the latter.

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That is too bad. Unfortunately the most important word in the phrase 'student athlete' is the former, not the latter.
    I guess.

  3. #243
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Also looks like Tyreke Lewis isn't headed to Utah. Twitter said that he was a "former" Utah commit. That is too bad. He was the third or fourth highest ever recruit for us. He and Jaylon Johnson on the outsides would be incredible.
    Maybe I’m misremembering, but I don’t remember the kid even being all that highly ranked. Third or fourth highest? No way that’s a true statement.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #244
    It what I heard. 247 has his score at .8727.
    He’d be our second highest commit this year.
    There were four kids ranked higher than him last year.

    Must be a mistake on my part. Looks like he was our fifth highest recruit last year.

    My bad.

    My source was Hammer from UteHub.

    https://www.utehub.com/forums/topic/...ck/#post-51882

  5. #245
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    So, from what I’m told, MJ Tafisi who signed yesterday with Washington was not heavily recruited by Utah....not sure why.

    I understand Alabama did not offer simply because he’s not 6’3”.

    Anyone know anything from the U side on why we weren’t on him?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He was listed by UW release as 5'11.5", which probably means he is closer to 5'10". I don't know why we were not that interested.

  6. #246
    Utes pick up a commitment from East DL Paul Maile. Pretty nice offer list, several Pac 12 schools as well as Wisconsin.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  7. #247
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Utes pick up a commitment from East DL Paul Maile. Pretty nice offer list, several Pac 12 schools as well as Wisconsin.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Michigan State, too. Now if Tennessee P. will just come through.

  8. #248
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Utes pick up a commitment from East DL Paul Maile. Pretty nice offer list, several Pac 12 schools as well as Wisconsin.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Ehs comes thru again!

  9. #249
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Ehs comes thru again!
    Never trust a Leopard.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  10. #250
    And now Andrew Mata'afa commits. What a night!

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  11. #251
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    And now Andrew Mata'afa commits. What a night!

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Applejack, he's a linebacker


  12. #252
    Hercules was a two star kid with offers to Oregon State and WSU.

  13. #253
    A little bit of Twitter excitement and overreaction on this beautiful Sunday morning.




    Tough when the negative recruiting comes from inside the house.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #254
    I don’t get all the uproar. First, he said “Utah Schools” which includes every school, which is how most kids here think.

    So, no news there.

    Second, if your kid was a WR and was offered by USC or Clemson or Utah, where would you recommend he go?

    It is what it is.

    No need to get your panties in a twist.

  15. #255
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Second, if your kid was a WR and was offered by USC or Clemson or Utah, where would you recommend he go?
    I would recommend he go to Utah. Would any of us not do that?

  16. #256
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Applejack, he's a linebacker

    Wait?! What!? We can recruit those?

    I thought there was a Utah law or something that stipulated all linebackers have to go to BYU?

  17. #257
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I don’t get all the uproar. First, he said “Utah Schools” which includes every school, which is how most kids here think.

    So, no news there.

    Second, if your kid was a WR and was offered by USC or Clemson or Utah, where would you recommend he go?

    It is what it is.

    No need to get your panties in a twist.
    I get what you're doing, but I don't think it is that easy. Getting along with coaches and teammates as well as the opportunity for playing time would rank a lot higher to me than the name on the helmet.

  18. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I get what you're doing, but I don't think it is that easy. Getting along with coaches and teammates as well as the opportunity for playing time would rank a lot higher to me than the name on the helmet.
    Oh, I agree. But, it’s tough to know this before you sign and attend. Everyone is nice during recruiting.

    The bad thing about the name on the helmet is it’s a better guaranteer of success.

  19. #259
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I would recommend he go to Utah. Would any of us not do that?
    I’d tell my kid to go where he has the best shot of accomplishing his goals. And if the NFL is his goal, then I’d tell him to go to Alabama or Clemson.

    Did you know that every single class Saban has recruited at Alabama has won a ring?

    If his goal is a national title, I’d tell my kid to go to Alabama.

    Now, I’d also tell my kid to make sure he graduates in three years. Redshirt, fresh, soph and graduate.

    Then, if the dream school didn’t work out, you’d be a free agent with two years of eligibility remaining.

    But if my kid held Alabama and Utah offers, I wouldn’t push him one way or the other. I’d advise him to go where can accomplish his goals, but protect himself (graduate early). Unfortunately for Utah, Alabama is the answer 9 times out of 10.

    I won’t hate on Nacua for that. It is what it is.

  20. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I’d tell my kid to go where he has the best shot of accomplishing his goals. And if the NFL is his goal, then I’d tell him to go to Alabama or Clemson.

    Did you know that every single class Saban has recruited at Alabama has won a ring?

    If his goal is a national title, I’d tell my kid to go to Alabama.

    Now, I’d also tell my kid to make sure he graduates in three years. Redshirt, fresh, soph and graduate.

    Then, if the dream school didn’t work out, you’d be a free agent with two years of eligibility remaining.

    But if my kid held Alabama and Utah offers, I wouldn’t push him one way or the other. I’d advise him to go where can accomplish his goals, but protect himself (graduate early). Unfortunately for Utah, Alabama is the answer 9 times out of 10.

    I won’t hate on Nacua for that. It is what it is.
    I certainly dont think it was the dumbest thing ive seen on twitter (hands down Jemele Hill encouraging people to boycott advertisers of her own show), but it was kinda dumb. At the very least it lacked self awareness. It came across as "Im just here at Utah because I couldn't find anything better." No doubt there are guys that think and feel that way who play for us every single year. He picked the wrong forum and wording to express himself. Its one of those thoughts that is better kept to yourself than expressed.

  21. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    But if my kid held Alabama and Utah offers, I wouldn’t push him one way or the other.
    No me. He'd have huge pressure to go to Utah from me. Cuz I'm a big Utah fan. I also can't see many ways in which Alabama would be a superior experience to Utah, but I can see plenty of ways in which Bama would be an inferior experience (see Cooper Bateman).

    I'm not sure that Alabama would be the better choice if the NFL is the only goal. A player with NFL talent/potential is as much or more likely to achieve that potential at Utah.

  22. #262
    A player with 'get into the NFL and play' talent still might not see the field at Alabama if he has a 'guaranteed first round draft pick' player ahead of him. And he won't get any kind of exposure.

    If he goes to a team where he is a rock star and gets tons of exposure, playing time, and press, then he will end up in better position for the draft than he would riding pine during a championship game.

  23. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    A player with 'get into the NFL and play' talent still might not see the field at Alabama if he has a 'guaranteed first round draft pick' player ahead of him. And he won't get any kind of exposure.

    If he goes to a team where he is a rock star and gets tons of exposure, playing time, and press, then he will end up in better position for the draft than he would riding pine during a championship game.
    I don’t buy this. But, maybe the tides are changing and I’ll be wrong. We did have Bolles and Booker go in rounds 1 and 2 recently.

    So, ask me again in five years. Maybe I will have changed my mind by then.

  24. #264
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I don’t buy this. But, maybe the tides are changing and I’ll be wrong. We did have Bolles and Booker go in rounds 1 and 2 recently.

    So, ask me again in five years. Maybe I will have changed my mind by then.
    You didn't understand my meaning. I am saying we are perhaps in a better position to get players into the NFL than bigger programs.

    Bolles is an obvious first-round, NFL-ready talent and he would have gone early no matter where he played.

    (Book went in the 4th round, btw) But if Booker had played behind an even better RB would he have been able to prove himself on the field? Some teams like Georgia can find ways to maximize the potential of two RBs at the same time (and without playing both at the same time). Had Booker been behind Zeke Elliot at OSU or Derrick Henry at Alabama would he even have the chance to get sufficient playing time?

    We kind of have a similar situation. Chayden Johnston is a freak of a kicker who could be one of the best ever. But fate and missing a FG by 10 inches sat him on the bench behind a surprise Lou Groza Award winner, who also surprisingly was granted an extra year of eligibility. Chayden probably won't even see the field until he is a 23 yr-old Junior.

  25. #265
    Or your Hunter Dimick, and Gionni Paul arguably two of the best defensive players to come out of Utah, both shafted on PAC12 DPOY, and both didn't even get a shot at the NFL...

  26. #266
    Every kid is going to be different. Some will want to play for the hometown school regardless of other opportunities. Some kids will just want to experience something different. Some will want the glitz of playing for Alabama, USC, Ohio St., etc. and will go there if there is the opportunity, but will stay at home if there isn't. While it did not work out the way he wanted, Cooper Bateman had to believe in himself and that if Alabama offered him a scholarship, that they believed in him. I don't think kids who have scholarship at top notch programs accept those offers thinking I can't play there, but I will get a nice championship ring. Some kids will want to go to the best academic/sports combination, like Stanford. Dalton Schultz chose Stanford over Utah and for him it looks like it is turning out great. He is leaving early for the NFL.

    I love the U and hope that every kid we recruit has great success. I would want my kid to go to the U because I am selfish. I hope I would be objective enough to see the benefits and challenges of every opportunity.

  27. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    EDalton Schultz chose Stanford over Utah and for him it looks like it is turning out great. He is leaving early for the NFL.
    I was wondering about him. He wasn't really a part of the passing offense this season - 200 total yards receiving. I don't know where to look for target stats, but it seemed like he became progressively less visible as the season wore on and Stanford discovered Arcega-Whitesite.

    I wonder if he declared because he's a strong blocking TE who has a long NFL career ahead of him or if he declared because he realized he wasn't going to see the field next season. If it's the latter, at least he can fall back on his Stanford sociology degree. Those guys start in 6 figures too, right?

  28. #268
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If it's the latter, at least he can fall back on his Stanford sociology degree. Those guys start in 6 figures too, right?
    Hmm, sociology is different now than when I went to school. U-Ute, were you a sociology major?

    What is your major?
    "Science, technology and society. I've structured it in such a way that it's the closest thing to game design. I'm interested in developing video games, on the coding side or the design side. I've hand-picked a bunch of classes and ran it by the head of our department, and she approved them. There's not a game-design major here, so I made my own."
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  29. #269
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Hmm, sociology is different now than when I went to school. U-Ute, were you a sociology major?

    What is your major?
    "Science, technology and society. I've structured it in such a way that it's the closest thing to game design. I'm interested in developing video games, on the coding side or the design side. I've hand-picked a bunch of classes and ran it by the head of our department, and she approved them. There's not a game-design major here, so I made my own."

    Yup, Science, Technology, and Society - the jock major at Stanford. It's the most popular major for athletes in Palo Alto. It fills the role that communications/sociology majors fill at other campuses. Of course, since it's Stanford, they have to give it a different name.

  30. #270
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,435
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yup, Science, Technology, and Society - the jock major at Stanford. It's the most popular major for athletes in Palo Alto. It fills the role that communications/sociology majors fill at other campuses. Of course, since it's Stanford, they have to give it a different name.
    One irony is that Utah has one of the top two or three game design programs in the country. But he will always have his Stanford degree,* and like it or not, that means something.

    _________________
    *If he actually completes his degree.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •