Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Football Recruiting thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Don’t knock defense and special teams. They have brought us to where we are.
    Oh, you thought I was complaining? I LOVE the fact that Kyle doesn't worry in the slightest what fans think and just put people in the position thru should be in.

Not like you, who wants our LOU GROZA winner to play full back.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Oh, you thought I was complaining? I LOVE the fact that Kyle doesn't worry in the slightest what fans think and just put people in the position thru should be in.

Not like you, who wants our LOU GROZA winner to play full back.
    I had absolutely no illusion that you were complaining. You are among the faithful and convinced. I was fulfilling my role as the skeptic, the guy who sits on the back row of the chapel while others uncharitably deride him for his lack of testimony.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-21-2017 at 01:41 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I have no idea what this means, but this is how the various PAC 12 schools handled their signings/commits on the early signing day:

ASU 11 of 12
    UA 16 of 22
    Cal 18 of 18
    CU 19 of 20
    Ore 13 of 20
    OSU 11 of 11
    Stan 10 of 13
    UCLA 7 of 11 including flip of Bo Calvert from USC (took official to Utah for CU game and is LDS)
    USC 8 of 11
    Utah 6 of 10
    UW 18 of 18 including 2 from Utah and a de-commit from Utah and a de-commit from BYU
    WSU 18 of 23

The 3 Ute commits who did not sign are all in-state guys. I believe 2 are mission bound. The Utes still have a lot of recruiting to do for this class.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    UMS,
    Doesn't like is too strong but he highly encourages players to go out of state. His vision/mission for East is to be known as a national power so he wants as many as possible to go to major P5s out of state. It's certainly causing consternation with local coaching staffs.
    Don't we have anyone in the legislature to threaten an audit?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I have no idea what this means, but this is how the various PAC 12 schools handled their signings/commits on the early signing day:

ASU11 of 12
    UA16 of 22
    Cal 18 of 18
    CU19 of 20
    Ore13 of 20
    OSU 11 of 11
    Stan10 of 13
    UCLA 7 of 11 including flip of Bo Calvert from USC (took official to Utah for CU game and is LDS)
    USC 8 of 11
    Utah 6 of 10
    UW 18 of 18 including 2 from Utah and a de-commit from Utah and a de-commit from BYU
    WSU 18 of 23

The 3 Ute commits who did not sign are all in-state guys. I believe 2 are mission bound. The Utes still have a lot of recruiting to do for this class.
    Some schools have really dived into this new signing day. Notre Dame signed all 20 of its commits yesterday. Do you have any idea what Kyle is thinking? Maybe he wants to have room to go after kids who are still uncommitted, who might decommit between now and the final signing date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

JazzyUte tweeted that Utah's class currently is ranked 79, right behind UT San Antonio.

Not signing in-state kids is killing us.

I thought I read somewhere that this class will be small, maybe 15 total, because there are a lot of returning missionaries. Also doesnt count Sione Lund or Tufua, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    JazzyUte tweeted that Utah's class currently is ranked 79, right behind UT San Antonio.

I thought I read somewhere that this class will be small, maybe 15 total, because there are a lot of returning missionaries. Also doesnt count Sione Lund or Tufua, FWIW.
    I think Josh Nurse and Matt Gay could also be a push forwards. There could be as many as 8 returned missionaries in this class: Quinn Fabrizio, Covey, Keaton Bills, a Pututau brother, Jonny Maea, RJ Hubert, Cole Fotheringham and Sione Luaki. I really doubt Fotheringham comes to Utah. He's a TE.

So I think this class might be as small as 15 total.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

I get a kick out of JazzyUte. He's not a straight up troll, but he definitely gets as close to that line as possible at times. I am not sure there is a more meaningless number out there than recruiting rankings with still 6 weeks left before the second signing period. Particularly this year when each team seems to be feeling out how this will work. Some players said they didn't want to sign until February. Some programs don't send an LOI to some of their commits. I am sure our staff is holding some spots to reach out to those who did not get LOI's to sign to try and cause doubt. I also think we have a number of really really good prospects who will end up signing here.

At the end of the day, we are going to be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I get a kick out of JazzyUte. He's not a straight up troll, but he definitely gets as close to that line as possible at times.
    I do too. Sometimes the way he contorts himself like a pretzel to an effort to find the negative is funny. His observations can be spot on, too.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I get a kick out of JazzyUte. He's not a straight up troll, but he definitely gets as close to that line as possible at times. I am not sure there is a more meaningless number out there than recruiting rankings with still 6 weeks left before the second signing period. Particularly this year when each team seems to be feeling out how this will work. Some players said they didn't want to sign until February. Some programs don't send an LOI to some of their commits. I am sure our staff is holding some spots to reach out to those who did not get LOI's to sign to try and cause doubt. I also think we have a number of really really good prospects who will end up signing here.

At the end of the day, we are going to be just fine.
    For Jazzy, things are always darkest just before they go completely black.

--Yeats

I think Josh Nurse and Matt Gay could also be a push forwards. There could be as many as 8 returned missionaries in this class: Quinn Fabrizio, Covey, Keaton Bills, a Pututau brother, Jonny Maea, RJ Hubert, Cole Fotheringham and Sione Luaki. I really doubt Fotheringham comes to Utah. He's a TE.

Trib says that Tyreke Lewis and Derrick Vickers also expected to join in January. Finally, maybe.

Bills, Maea and Lauaki all left too late to be back for 2018. I think they all return for January 2019 enrollment. I don't think Covey counts as an initial since he played year already. That leaves four RMs. Maybe Fotheringham gets a look at WR, DE or LB depending on how he looks post mission. Then again, maybe Taylor uses a TE more when he has one that is both healthy and talented (something I don't think we had much this year). Who knows.

I ranted on this on the 247 board but I'm concerned (okay, leery) of this class. We have some talent so far but still so much of this class left to fill and now I read that something like 65% of D1 prospects signed already. The pool of talent has thinned significantly and we are only about halfway home. I'm not sure we can fill this class with the depth of talent that we need to compete.

Not sure why many are so enamored with signing in-state kids. Sure, no program wants to lose good recruits, especially when they are in your backyard. If I were a prized recruit, why wouldn't I look at other P5 programs? What has Utah accomplished lately to keep those kids? Should California schools lament the fact that Tuttle went out of state, to a program that barely smelled the South division championship (not even P12 championship)?

I think college is a great opportunity for many kids/young-adults to explore, academically, athletically, and personally. Utah is just that place for a lot of kids from other states. If Utah can actually up its P12 conference performance, then yeah, we should be (hopeful) able to retain more in-state kids; if not, then I think the program should be more introspective.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Not sure why many are so enamored with signing in-state kids. Sure, no program wants to lose good recruits, especially when they are in your backyard. If I were a prized recruit, why wouldn't I look at other P5 programs? What has Utah accomplished lately to keep those kids? Should California schools lament the fact that Tuttle went out of state, to a program that barely smelled the South division championship (not even P12 championship)?

I think college is a great opportunity for many kids/young-adults to explore, academically, athletically, and personally. Utah is just that place for a lot of kids from other states. If Utah can actually up its P12 conference performance, then yeah, we should be (hopeful) able to retain more in-state kids; if not, then I think the program should be more introspective.

There are two kids who attend school less than a a mile from the stadium who just signed with Texas and Washington--two pretty decent programs. For the first time in years, this year we had trouble stopping the run. That was always our thing. Is there a correlation here?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    There are two kids who attend school less than a a mile from the stadium who just signed with Texas and Washington--two pretty decent programs. For the first time in years, this year we had trouble stopping the run. That was always our thing. Is there a correlation here?
    A school whose coach constantly tells kids to go anywhere outside of Utah.

And a school who, from people who work at the school, couldn’t care less about the academics of their athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    A school whose coach constantly tells kids to go anywhere outside of Utah.

And a school who, from people who work at the school, couldn’t care less about the academics of their athletes.

Or the academics of the non-athletes!

There are two elements to recruiting rankings. How many and how highly rated. So you can’t be rated very high if you only sign eight. It’s not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    There are two elements to recruiting rankings. How many and how highly rated. So you can’t be rated very high if you only sign eight. It’s not rocket science.
    Even more true if you only sign six.

Or the academics of the non-athletes!
    Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Some things never change.

I would say this:

To maintain our recent success (9+ wins a year), we don’t need in state kids. We had the #25 class last year according to Rivals.

BUT, if we want to get to the level of Washington, which is a very realistic goal, we’ve got to keep those in state kids.

The instate kids take us from a 25-35 ranked class to a top 15 class.

BUT, I don’t think we can keep those kids until we win the PAC-12.

Catch 22, right? That’s where a QB can make up some difference. #prayforTroyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I would say this:

To maintain our recent success (9+ wins a year), we don’t need in state kids. We had the #25 class last year according to Rivals.

BUT, if we want to get to the level of Washington, which is a very realistic goal, we’ve got to keep those in state kids.

The instate kids take us from a 25-35 ranked class to a top 15 class.

BUT, I don’t think we can keep those kids until we win the PAC-12.

Catch 22, right? That’s where a QB can make up some difference. #prayforTroyTaylor
    I doubt we'll ever get all the top kids to stay home. Without looking, I'll bet that some of the top Washington kids signed with someone other than UW. I think winning helps with some of the kids, winning the Pac-South helps with more of the kids, but ultimately some wanna go away for 4 years. Can't blame them.

So, from what I’m told, MJ Tafisi who signed yesterday with Washington was not heavily recruited by Utah....not sure why.

I understand Alabama did not offer simply because he’s not 6’3”.

Anyone know anything from the U side on why we weren’t on him?

I doubt we'll ever get all the top kids to stay home. Without looking, I'll bet that some of the top Washington kids signed with someone other than UW. I think winning helps with some of the kids, winning the Pac-South helps with more of the kids, but ultimately some wanna go away for 4 years. Can't blame them.
    they'll come crawling back once they start missing smelling the great Salt Lake, the fry sauce and the inversion
    Last edited by Scorcho; 12-21-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    So, from what I’m told, MJ Tafisi who signed yesterday with Washington was not heavily recruited by Utah....not sure why.

I understand Alabama did not offer simply because he’s not 6’3”.

Anyone know anything from the U side on why we weren’t on him?

He had an offer from us. I wonder if he didn’t reciprocate love back to the staff so they moved on. As Larry K has learned, sometimes if a kid doesn’t love you back, it’s time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    He had an offer from us. I wonder if he didn’t reciprocate love back to the staff so they moved on. As Larry K has learned, sometimes if a kid doesn’t love you back, it’s time to move on.
    You’re speculating, and it’s not correct speculation.

Thus why I asked if anyone knew anything from the Utah side (not from what’s listed on Scout or 247 etc)

I was very clear in my post that I was speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Bills, Maea and Lauaki all left too late to be back for 2018. I think they all return for January 2019 enrollment. I don't think Covey counts as an initial since he played year already. That leaves four RMs. Maybe Fotheringham gets a look at WR, DE or LB depending on how he looks post mission. Then again, maybe Taylor uses a TE more when he has one that is both healthy and talented (something I don't think we had much this year). Who knows.

I ranted on this on the 247 board but I'm concerned (okay, leery) of this class. We have some talent so far but still so much of this class left to fill and now I read that something like 65% of D1 prospects signed already. The pool of talent has thinned significantly and we are only about halfway home. I'm not sure we can fill this class with the depth of talent that we need to compete.
    Fotheringham is not coming to Utah.

Fotheringham is not coming to Utah.
    Any info on why?

--Yeats

Also looks like Tyreke Lewis isn't headed to Utah. Twitter said that he was a "former" Utah commit. That is too bad. He was the third or fourth highest ever recruit for us. He and Jaylon Johnson on the outsides would be incredible.