Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Recruiting thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Alabama.

:shocking:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah - he stared down the Alabama hat the entire time he was talking. I wouldn't exactly call this one a surprise. Most experts had him there it seems.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Jackson Cravens, who some believe ultimately ends up at Utah, picked up an offer from Georgia over the weekend. Interesting to see the SEC schools start to infiltrate Utah a little bit...maybe we could at least get them on the schedule if they're going to start taking our recruits!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Utah just received the commitment of Mosiah Nasili-Liu out of Washington state. Three star recruit that plays DE in high school but it seems they're projecting him as a DT.

Sounds like Penni Sewell tore his labrum which will have an affect on his senior season. I wonder if this cools Alabama from recruiting the kid.

Interesting and depressing article from the OC Register:

Inside the unregulated world of recruiting consulting services

For decades, recruiting services have sold parents on this same promise of connecting high school athletes with college coaches who wouldnÕt otherwise recruit them. Even as fewer prospects go unnoticed than ever before, especially in football, services such as Playing for Envelopes sell themselves not just as middlemen, but also as brand managers, social media marketers and recruiting power brokers — all essential, they say, in an increasingly complicated process.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ocreg...-services/amp/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Jaren Kump, a high 3* OT from Herriman, has flipped from BYU to Utah. Grew up in a huge BYU family. Also had offers from USC, UCLA, and Oregon, among others. USC has been pushing hard for him. He was BYU's second-best commitment (and their best commitment, Kaho, is about as soft as a commit can be and has Utah in his final 5).

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Jaren Kump, a high 3* OT from Herriman, has flipped from BYU to Utah. Grew up in a huge BYU family. Also had offers from USC, UCLA, and Oregon, among others. USC has been pushing hard for him. He was BYU's second-best commitment (and their best commitment, Kaho, is about as soft as a commit can be and has Utah in his final 5).
    Some good news makes the loss feel less bad. Thanks!

I read somewhere that he is good enough to be a potential 4 year starter. Any idea if he is mission bound before enrolling?

Any word on the Fotu kid from Herriman? I'm assuming he's Leki's brother. I was surprised to read he'd verbaled to BYU over us. I think his commitment is soft and perhaps getting softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Any word on the Fotu kid from Herriman? I'm assuming he's Leki's brother. I was surprised to read he'd verbaled to BYU over us. I think his commitment is soft and perhaps getting softer.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I read somewhere that he is good enough to be a potential 4 year starter. Any idea if he is mission bound before enrolling?
    Guessing so. His twitter handle says “Mission Kid” in his bio

Thank you Sancho - that's more good news. I don't know if many have been paying attention but Leki Fotu is becoming quite a beast. It will be terrific to have another Fotu along the line.

2018 Recruiting thread

We got ourselves a long snapper! For next year.

Osa Masina pleaded down from sexual assault to sexual battery (misdemeanor). He probably will serve some jail time.

I'm all for giving kids a second chance, but this ones a little sketchy. If he gets everything cleared up for 2018 or 2019 would you take a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Osa Masina pleaded down from sexual assault to sexual battery (misdemeanor). He probably will serve some jail time.

I'm all for giving kids a second chance, but this ones a little sketchy. If he gets everything cleared up for 2018 or 2019 would you take a chance?
    Not an issue. He will never play at the U.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Not an issue. He will never play at the U.
    why, did he burn bridges?

There's a solid chance he'll never play anywhere, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post

I’ll honestly be surprised if he gets any meaningful jail time.

Pretty sure I read that part of the deal was no jail time. It seemed like he pretty much gets out of this with nothing negative, which is pretty much a concession that the DA had nothing to go on. This is essentially vindication.

Pretty sure I read that part of the deal was no jail time. It seemed like he pretty much gets out of this with nothing negative, which is pretty much a concession that the DA had nothing to go on. This is essentially vindication.

You saw that Andy Phillips dad, who acted as the masina attorney, blasted Sim Gill for pursuing this for publicity. The California case got dropped, and the case here really fell apart. Apparently there never was a video or snapchat photo or whatever that Osa M. allegedly sent to a teammateor friend in Arizona, and that kid disappeared.

There is no deal on jail time. Prosecutors have stated they’re unsure if they’ll seek jail time, and defense attorneys have said they would like to see probation.

Regardless of what they both want, the judge ultimately decides and he does not have to agree to their requests.

I don’t see any vindication here. Even with some evidence disallowed Skordas didn’t feel he could sway a jury.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Even with some evidence disallowed Skordas didn’t feel he could sway a jury.

I would not put it that way--I would say they probably felt there was too much at stake to risk it, and you never know what a jury is going to do. There is no sure thing in front of a jury ever. (As I know you know).

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    There is no deal on jail time. Prosecutors have stated they’re unsure if they’ll seek jail time, and defense attorneys have said they would like to see probation.

Regardless of what they both want, the judge ultimately decides and he does not have to agree to their requests.

I don’t see any vindication here. Even with some evidence disallowed Skordas didn’t feel he could sway a jury.

I'm sure Skordas felt he could sway a jury. The problem is that even if an attorney is extremely confident that they can sway a jury, you just never know what a jury will do. Even if you're 95% sure you can sway a jury, if the DA gives you a deal that is essentially an extremely light slap on the wrist of course you take it. You just can't roll the dice on that 5% when you are being handed what they just gave Osa. This is vindication.

I'm sure Skordas felt he could sway a jury. The problem is that even if an attorney is extremely confident that they can sway a jury, you just never know what a jury will do. Even if you're 95% sure you can sway a jury, if the DA gives you a deal that is essentially an extremely light slap on the wrist of course you take it. You just can't roll the dice on that 5% when you are being handed what they just gave Osa. This is vindication.
    I don't see how it's vindication. He has to face some unknown consequences and his football career is on life support.

Twitter abuzz about Mike Tafua coming to Utah after returning home from a mission.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Twitter abuzz about Mike Tafua coming to Utah after returning home from a mission.
    Linebacker¡!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Mike, huh?! Well, at least Kalani’s polypipeline is still free and clear.

On an unrelated note, SOOOOOOOOO close to have stolen two Mika’s from BYU in one year!

Mike, huh?! Well, at least Kalani’s polypipeline is still free and clear.

On an unrelated note, SOOOOOOOOO close to have stolen two Mika’s from BYU in one year!

And now this. The death knell.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Linebacker¡!!!!!!!!
    Defensive end!!!!

if we steal any more byu recruits we're going to have to open up a Chuck-a-rama

And now this. The death knell.

What did this say?