Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Recruiting thread

Brighton Bengal here. Senior year, had Seminary with Gordon Hudson. Neither of us went but got called into the seminary teacher's office and told that if we wanted to graduate, we had to come the last week. Me, 5'nothing 140 lbs and him, gigantic, linked forever in our hate for release time seminary.

Jack Tuttle's best friend/4* wide receiver Kyle Phillips just committed to UCLA.

In other news. This just got Tweeted out and no one seems to know why yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that answers that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Well, that answers that.
    The internet says he had offers from WSU, Cal, UCLA, Stanford, ASU, Arizona, and CU.

2018 Recruiting thread

Reportedly, Mataele is the no. 33 rated athlete and will play WR at Utah. FWIW. He does seem small for RB but maybe his frame can handle more weight.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-22-2017 at 10:32 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Mataele is the no. 33 rated athlete and he'll play WR at Utah.
    This is the first time I've heard that, so I'm curious where you got it from. Everything I've read is that he's planning on playing at running back. Here's what Greg Biggins at Scout said:

He was recruited by McDonald, so that would further support that.

I love that there was concern about whether bringing on Taylor would hurt our ability to land RBs, but we immediately grabbed a 4* running back last year and now have landed one for this year (both largely through Kiel McDonald).

2018 Recruiting thread

This is the first time I've heard that, so I'm curious where you got it from. Everything I've read is that he's planning on playing at running back. Here's what Greg Biggins at Scout said:

He was recruited by McDonald, so that would further support that.

It's from another site. Fixed now. What I'm seeing other people say is that he was originally recruited as a WR but in Taylor's offense the difference in playing at either RB or WR may not be all that great.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-22-2017 at 10:37 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Why did ESPN downgrade Jack Tuttle to 3 star, and outside the ESPN 300? Because he's committed to Utah? Isn't that backwards?

One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Why did ESPN downgrade Jack Tuttle to 3 star, and outside the ESPN 300? Because he's committed to Utah? Isn't that backwards?

No. It's because he got an offer from Alabama.

Cameron Latu down to 5 -- Alabama, Nebraska, USC, Utah & Washington.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    He'll go to Alabama or USC. It's like an eternal, immutable law.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I have known Cam and his brother Nate since they were in 9th grade and told Scalley to keep an eye on them at that time. I don't know them well and do not have any regular contact with them, but I think they can both be good college players. They certainly have the physical attributes at 6'4 or 5 and the frames to get up to 260. They are agile and fast for their size. The main difference between the two is that Cam has a nasty streak to him. He can be downright mean. If they can qualify academically (not a given), Cam will go to the highest profile school and I think Nate will stay with his commitment to BYU. If a school other than BYU also offers Nate, there is a slim chance that would influence Cam to go there to play with Nate.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I have known Cam and his brother Nate since they were in 9th grade and told Scalley to keep an eye on them at that time. I don't know them well and do not have any regular contact with them, but I think they can both be good college players. They certainly have the physical attributes at 6'4 or 5 and the frames to get up to 260. They are agile and fast for their size. The main difference between the two is that Cam has a nasty streak to him. He can be downright mean. If they can qualify academically (not a given), Cam will go to the highest profile school and I think Nate will stay with his commitment to BYU. If a school other than BYU also offers Nate, there is a slim chance that would influence Cam to go there to play with Nate.
    I'm guessing USC. Even without knowing him at all, I feel pretty good about my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm guessing USC. Even without knowing him at all, I feel pretty good about my guess.
    I always figured you for a genius.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I always figured you for a genius.
    I'm pretty good at pattern recognition.

I'd put Cam at 45% Alabama, 45% USC, 10% Utah.

His brother I'd put at 95% BYU because it looks like he won't be academically eligible to play at any DI school, so BYU will be the only DI school that has academic requirements so low that he can actually enroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I'd put Cam at 45% Alabama, 45% USC, 10% Utah.

His brother I'd put at 95% BYU because it looks like he won't be academically eligible to play at any DI school, so BYU will be the only DI school that has academic requirements so low that he can actually enroll.
    Ouch!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Ouch!
    he he.

Utah just offered a kid out of Texas named Brian Johnson. A linebacker this time.

If we ever were able to find a QB....we may have found a QB.

Everything I've read so far about this weekend has had Tuttle in the top five. This feels strange and tingly.

Everything I've read so far about this weekend has had Tuttle in the top five. This feels strange and tingly.
    I know. It makes me nervous.

Jack Tuttle, Tanner McKee and Cam Cooper at make the final 11. Tuttle apparently not as strong on Sunday as he was the first two days.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Jack Tuttle, Tanner McKee and Cam Cooper at make the final 11. Tuttle apparently not as strong on Sunday as he was the first two days.
    Sunday=November.

A pretty interesting look into how the new early signing period may change the recruiting process.

https://www.si.com/college-football/...iting-coaches#

I think any rule change which forces the blue bloods to fill their class early is a good thing for Utah.

Think, if we could keep a 4 star or two and get them to sign early, then pick up a kid or two late, who gets cut from a blue blood.

This take our classes to another level.