Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 mlb

2017 mlb

The season is around the corner. For starters, here's an interesting change to the intentional walk rule. No more meaningless pitches, just a signal from the dugout will do:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Report-MLB...ange-51416978/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The season is around the corner. For starters, here's an interesting change to the intentional walk rule. No more meaningless pitches, just a signal from the dugout will do:
    The Washington Post compiled some interesting twitter responses to this change:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3871688c7998
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Ill put this here since it is sponsored by the MLB. If you haven't been watching the WBC, you've been missing out. Tremendous baseball atmosphere from countries across the world -- down to four. In a miraculous upset the US defeated the DR last week.

Seriously, if you love a world series atmosphere, and some terrific pumped-up baseball, tune in today, tomorrow and Wednesday. Great stuff.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I've been catching bits and pieces of it here and there. It has been a lot of fun.

US vs PR for the championship tonight. Should be a great game and great atmosphere. Puerto Rican's love baseball. This has been a really fun tournament. I mean, where else will you see a pitcher over seven feet tall?

Anyway, the only thing that really bothers me is the number of American all-stars who take a pass on the event. In my world, if your country asks you to play -- you play. That includes everything from baseball to tiddlywinks. There's obviously legitimate reasons they don't want to play, but, I guess I love the guys that say eff-it and play anyway. I really appreciate the studs that decided it was important to wear our jersey -- besides they get a far better atmosphere than spring training and more meaningful cuts as well. Stanton, McCutchen, Jones, Yelich, Arenado, Crawford, Hosmer, Posey et al.....good job boys. Bryan, Trout, Kershaw, Scherzer, Bumgarner, Harper.....step it up, man.
    Last edited by mUUser; 03-22-2017 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    US vs PR for the championship tonight. Should be a great game and great atmosphere. Puerto Rican's love baseball. This has been a really fun tournament. I mean, where else will you see a pitcher over seven feet tall?

Anyway, the only thing that really bothers me is the number of American all-stars who take a pass on the event. In my world, if your country asks you to play -- you play. That includes everything from baseball to tiddlywinks. There's obviously legitimate reasons they don't want to play, but, I guess I love the guys that say eff-it and play anyway. I really appreciate the studs that decided it was important to wear our jersey -- besides they get a far better atmosphere than spring training and more meaningful cuts as well. Stanton, McCutchen, Jones, Yelich, Arenado, Crawford, Hosmer, Posey et al.....good job boys. Bryan, Trout, Kershaw, Scherzer, Bumgarner, Harper.....step it up, man.
    Ith
    It has been a fun thing to watch. Last night's game was INTENSE.

This is the only time I've ever rooted for Posey...and he waffles out in the eighth. lol.

US dominates PR in 8-0 final. Stroman awarded MVP. I would've given it to Brandon Crawford - .429 avg., .667 slugging percentage but whatever, Stroman pitched a 6 inning gem tonight.

Congratulations to Team USA
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    US dominates PR in 8-0 final. Stroman awarded MVP. I would've given it to Brandon Crawford - .429 avg., .667 slugging percentage but whatever, Stroman pitched a 6 inning gem tonight.

Congratulations to Team USA
    So, did the US take first and second? lol. (p.s. I stole that from somewhere).

Nationals 1-0. Only 161 more to go to run the table.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

End of an era. Verlander has been my favorite MLB player for a long, long time. He was absolutely must-see in his prime. I saw him in person only once - at Wrigley about 5 years ago (he won).

After the hurricane, Houston should be America's favorite to win it all. I hope JV can deliver.

The champs are ready for the postseason. bring on the natty lights.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    This is our year, I can feel it. (Probably not).

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    It was fun tonight to see the Iowa Cubs eliminate the Cardinals from wild card contention.

The Cubs are coming together at the right time. They currently lack an "ace" on their staff, but they do have four solid guys who can win big games. (They also lacked a standout ace last year but the overall performance and consistency of all of the starters was better than this year). The bullpen depth is also a concern but with so many days off in the playoffs they can hopefully stick with their top 3-4 relievers who have been pretty good. The offense has been pretty consistently good lately.

It will be interesting. Nice that we're playing with house money now. We broke the curse, we're not going in as the favorite, we're in a no-lose situation. (I'm going to try to keep telling myself that through the playoffs).

P.S. I will not be shocked at all if Arizona takes out the Dodgers.
    P.P.S. This thing is Cleveland's to lose, but Houston also looks very tough if Keuchel is right.

October!

Red Sox vs Astros. Gotta go for the Astros. They just had a big hurricane, they have Justin Verlander, and the Red Sox have been the Yankees for about a decade.

New York vs Cleveland. I'll be pulling for the Yankees for the first time ever. Can't have a division rival win, and the Yankees aren't the Yankees anymore. The Red Sox are.

Cubs vs Nats. Go Nats. The Cubs had their turn. Time for DC to have a sports moment.

DBacks vs Dodgers. Go LA. The Dbacks are still an afterthought of a team.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    October!

Red Sox vs Astros. Gotta go for the Astros. They just had a big hurricane, they have Justin Verlander, and the Red Sox have been the Yankees for about a decade.

New York vs Cleveland. I'll be pulling for the Yankees for the first time ever. Can't have a division rival win, and the Yankees aren't the Yankees anymore. The Red Sox are.

Cubs vs Nats. Go Nats. The Cubs had their turn. Time for DC to have a sports moment.

The Yankees will always be the Yankees, even if the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs are the Yankees, too.

There is only one Yankees, in any and all sports. How can anybody not root for Cleveland, unless their absolutely favorite team is still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    There is only one Yankees, in any and all sports. How can anybody not root for Cleveland, unless their absolutely favorite team is still alive?
    What makes Cleveland lovable? Did they have a hurricane? Such a spoiled sports state with a recent NBA title and Ohio State football. Yet they want us to feel for them because of the Browns. Cleveland is a division rival for me. Hard to root for that.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    October!

Were I a Cubs fan, I'd be confident to the point of overconfidence given the Nats playoff flame outs. As one sports writer in DC has noted: "They are the Capitals with Bats." Here's hoping that the trend reverses itself this year.

Bummer.

Easy choices in the championship series - Go Dodgers, Go Astros.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Were I a Cubs fan, I'd be confident to the point of overconfidence given the Nats playoff flame outs. As one sports writer in DC has noted: "They are the Capitals with Bats." Here's hoping that the trend reverses itself this year.
    Sad swish here...

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

JV with 13 Ks in a complete game.

2017 mlb

Dodgers are heading into Chicago with a 2-0 series lead, propelled by Justin Turner’s walkoff Grand-Slam [EDIT: oops, 3-run homer] , delivered on the 29th anniversary of Kirk Gibson‘s walk-off home run. I tell you, the stars are aligning....
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-15-2017 at 11:24 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Dodgers are heading into Chicago with a 2-0 series lead, propelled by Justin Turner’s walkoff Grand-Slam, delivered on the 29th anniversary of Kirk Gibson‘s walk-off home run. I tell you, the stars are aligning....
    3 run homer; not a grand slam.

and the most astounding part of the play was the guy who caught it in the centerfield bleachers.

and the most astounding part of the play was the guy who caught it in the centerfield bleachers.
    Well, he's a Dodgers fan so he showed up in the 4th inning and left in the 7th and whiffed on the walk-off home run. The only thing stupider is Joe Maddon running Lackey out there in a jam while Wade Davis languishes in the bullpen.

I goofed. I’ll take the 3-run homer.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Well, he's a Dodgers fan so he showed up in the 4th inning and left in the 7th and whiffed on the walk-off home run. The only thing stupider is Joe Maddon running Lackey out there in a jam while Wade Davis languishes in the bullpen.
    If you’re talking about me then I challenge you to a duel.

--Yeats

I SWEAR Turner is Ygrette's brother.

If you’re talking about me then I challenge you to a duel.
    Declined, just take your NLCS sweep and move on. I think the Cubs never fully recovered from the hangover of last year's championship and put themselves in a position where they had to leave it all on the field to get past Washington. I hope I'm wrong, but the team looks pretty cooked right now. Decent starting pitching that can't go deep enough in games, terrifying bullpen and batters that aren't producing at all right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Declined, just take your NLCS sweep and move on. I think the Cubs never fully recovered from the hangover of last year's championship and put themselves in a position where they had to leave it all on the field to get past Washington. I hope I'm wrong, but the team looks pretty cooked right now. Decent starting pitching that can't go deep enough in games, terrifying bullpen and batters that aren't producing at all right now.
    OK then. Concerned will be relieved as he was going to be my second.

I have not yet let go of my fear that the Dodgers will yet find a way to blow this.

--Yeats

OK then. Concerned will be relieved as he was going to be my second.

I have not yet let go of my fear that the Dodgers will yet find a way to blow this.
    It would have been an honor proudly accepted.

The Cubs dont have the bullpen to enable the Dodgers to blow this.