Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 mlb

Hybrid View

2017 mlb

The season is around the corner. For starters, here's an interesting change to the intentional walk rule. No more meaningless pitches, just a signal from the dugout will do:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Report-MLB...ange-51416978/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The season is around the corner. For starters, here's an interesting change to the intentional walk rule. No more meaningless pitches, just a signal from the dugout will do:
    The Washington Post compiled some interesting twitter responses to this change:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3871688c7998
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Ill put this here since it is sponsored by the MLB. If you haven't been watching the WBC, you've been missing out. Tremendous baseball atmosphere from countries across the world -- down to four. In a miraculous upset the US defeated the DR last week.

Seriously, if you love a world series atmosphere, and some terrific pumped-up baseball, tune in today, tomorrow and Wednesday. Great stuff.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I've been catching bits and pieces of it here and there. It has been a lot of fun.

US vs PR for the championship tonight. Should be a great game and great atmosphere. Puerto Rican's love baseball. This has been a really fun tournament. I mean, where else will you see a pitcher over seven feet tall?

Anyway, the only thing that really bothers me is the number of American all-stars who take a pass on the event. In my world, if your country asks you to play -- you play. That includes everything from baseball to tiddlywinks. There's obviously legitimate reasons they don't want to play, but, I guess I love the guys that say eff-it and play anyway. I really appreciate the studs that decided it was important to wear our jersey -- besides they get a far better atmosphere than spring training and more meaningful cuts as well. Stanton, McCutchen, Jones, Yelich, Arenado, Crawford, Hosmer, Posey et al.....good job boys. Bryan, Trout, Kershaw, Scherzer, Bumgarner, Harper.....step it up, man.
    Last edited by mUUser; 03-22-2017 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    US vs PR for the championship tonight. Should be a great game and great atmosphere. Puerto Rican's love baseball. This has been a really fun tournament. I mean, where else will you see a pitcher over seven feet tall?

Anyway, the only thing that really bothers me is the number of American all-stars who take a pass on the event. In my world, if your country asks you to play -- you play. That includes everything from baseball to tiddlywinks. There's obviously legitimate reasons they don't want to play, but, I guess I love the guys that say eff-it and play anyway. I really appreciate the studs that decided it was important to wear our jersey -- besides they get a far better atmosphere than spring training and more meaningful cuts as well. Stanton, McCutchen, Jones, Yelich, Arenado, Crawford, Hosmer, Posey et al.....good job boys. Bryan, Trout, Kershaw, Scherzer, Bumgarner, Harper.....step it up, man.
    Ith
    It has been a fun thing to watch. Last night's game was INTENSE.

This is the only time I've ever rooted for Posey...and he waffles out in the eighth. lol.

2017 mlb

Dodgers are heading into Chicago with a 2-0 series lead, propelled by Justin Turner’s walkoff Grand-Slam [EDIT: oops, 3-run homer] , delivered on the 29th anniversary of Kirk Gibson‘s walk-off home run. I tell you, the stars are aligning....
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-15-2017 at 11:24 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Dodgers are heading into Chicago with a 2-0 series lead, propelled by Justin Turner’s walkoff Grand-Slam, delivered on the 29th anniversary of Kirk Gibson‘s walk-off home run. I tell you, the stars are aligning....
    3 run homer; not a grand slam.

and the most astounding part of the play was the guy who caught it in the centerfield bleachers.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

and the most astounding part of the play was the guy who caught it in the centerfield bleachers.
    Well, he's a Dodgers fan so he showed up in the 4th inning and left in the 7th and whiffed on the walk-off home run. The only thing stupider is Joe Maddon running Lackey out there in a jam while Wade Davis languishes in the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Well, he's a Dodgers fan so he showed up in the 4th inning and left in the 7th and whiffed on the walk-off home run. The only thing stupider is Joe Maddon running Lackey out there in a jam while Wade Davis languishes in the bullpen.
    If you’re talking about me then I challenge you to a duel.

--Yeats

I SWEAR Turner is Ygrette's brother.

If you’re talking about me then I challenge you to a duel.
    Declined, just take your NLCS sweep and move on. I think the Cubs never fully recovered from the hangover of last year's championship and put themselves in a position where they had to leave it all on the field to get past Washington. I hope I'm wrong, but the team looks pretty cooked right now. Decent starting pitching that can't go deep enough in games, terrifying bullpen and batters that aren't producing at all right now.

I goofed. I’ll take the 3-run homer.

--Yeats

I’m at the game — my first Series game ever — and it’s a great one!

--Yeats

Top of the 11th.

--Yeats

I do wish the Dodgers pitchers would stop throwing gopher balls.

--Yeats

I hate the Dodgers and was ecstatic with the outcome and Roberts's horrible management of his pitching staff, but man I love, love, love Vin. He is just the flat-out greatest. LA, I hope you were there in time for his pre-game appearance.

2017 mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I hate the Dodgers and was ecstatic with the outcome and Roberts's horrible management of his pitching staff, but man I love, love, love Vin. He is just the flat-out greatest. LA, I hope you were there in time for his pre-game appearance.
    Yes I was, I recorded the whole thing. It was a terrific evening, with so much electricity in the air. I’ve never been to a World Series game before. It was two great teams playing each other in a great game. The Astros deserved to win, because in the end they outplayed the Dodgers.

Sancho my son, lose your hatred for the Dodgers. It’s bad for the soul.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-26-2017 at 05:13 AM.

--Yeats

The pregame with Vin, Yeager, and Fernando is a memory for all time. (Almost as great as seeing Koufax on TV just for a moment.) You couldn't see it, but Hill was soooo pissed off in the dugout when told he was being taken out. Smoltz is a great commentator, and he correctly pointed out several times (early on) that the risk of Roberts' strategy is that you are counting on every reliever to do his job--and it doesn't always happen. It only takes one to have an off night to ruin it (or in this case, three).

The Astros had to win Verlander's start to make it a series. Now it will be, and could be a great one.

When you watch the game, pay close attention to Jack Buck's tribute to Scully. Coming from the son of Joe Buck, it was great.
    Last edited by concerned; 10-26-2017 at 08:00 AM.

The pregame with Vin, Yeager, and Fernando is a memory for all time. (Almost as great as seeing Koufax on TV just for a moment.) You couldn't see it, but Hill was soooo pissed off in the dugout when told he was being taken out. Smoltz is a great commentator, and he correctly pointed out several times (early on) that the risk of Roberts' strategy is that you are counting on every reliever to do his job--and it doesn't always happen. It only takes one to have an off night to ruin it (or in this case, three).

The Astros had to win Verlander's start to make it a series. Now it will be, and could be a great one.

When you watch the game, pay close attention to Jack Buck's tribute to Scully. Coming from the son of Joe Buck, it was great.
    In fairness to Roberts, he had every reason to think his bullpen was on a roll — because it had been almost perfect throughout the post season.

Roberts, BTW, is one of the true good guys in baseball.

--Yeats

Here’s the Vjn Scully first pitch video:

https://www.facebook.com/foxsports/v...2955974818118/

--Yeats

2017 mlb

Four batters. Seven pitches. Two homers, a double and a single. I’ve never seen a performance that bad from a reliever in a big game.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-29-2017 at 10:06 PM.

--Yeats

Four batters. Seven pitches. Two homers, a double and a single. I’ve never seen a performance that bad from a reliever in a big game.
    Roberts fault for pitching him 3 straight. Horrible pitching all game. How many walks? Kershaw sets new record for most homers in a post season. I'm prejudiced but he will never be Koufax.

Roberts fault for pitching him 3 straight. Horrible pitching all game. How many walks? Kershaw sets new record for most homers in a post season. I'm prejudiced but he will never be Koufax.
    No, but Verlander has a chance to be Koufax.

To be fair, Sandy didn't have to throw juiced balls when he pitched.

I am not a big baseball fan in general, but this is a helluva game. Fun to watch, especially not having a rooting interest in ether team. I can only imagine the emotional roller coaster diehard fans of either team are going through.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I'm prejudiced but he will never be Koufax.
    Kershaw’s post-season record has made that a certainty.

--Yeats

Yeah....the article today about the baseballs was interesting.

MLB is saying nothing has changed, but everyone else says it’s obvious the balls are more slippery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Yeah....the article today about the baseballs was interesting.

MLB is saying nothing has changed, but everyone else says it’s obvious the balls are more slippery.
    Gotta admit, it's making for a really entertaining series.

This has got to be one of the greatest World Series games ever.

--Yeats

This has got to be one of the greatest World Series games ever.
    Only if Houston wins.