Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Pac 12 Standings

2016-2017 Pac 12 Standings

So for the second straight year I've totally nerded out and created a spreadsheet for the Pac 12 Schedule and standings, which you should be able to view here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=523575829

Last year I did weekly projections for the Pac 12 Tournament...that's always a hoot.

I will try to update it as soon as my schedule permits, but I will also update the table below as well:

Last updated 2/20

Team Record Conf. Record Conf +/- RPI SOS Next vs.
    Arizona 25-3 14-1 +7 10 40 vs. USC
    Oregon 24-4 13-2 +4 6 26 @ Cal
    UCLA 24-3 11-3 +4 18 126 @ Arizona St.
    California 18-8 9-5 +3 39 34 vs. Oregon
    USC 21-6 8-6 +1 31 74 @ Arizona
    Utah 17-10 8-7 +1 94 119 @ Colorado
    Colorado 16-12 6-9 0 101 120 vs. Utah
    ASU 13-15 6-9 0 133 80 vs. UCLA
    Stanford 13-13 5-9 -3 66 4 vs. Oregon St.
    WSU 12-15 5-10 -3 155 43 vs. Washington
    Washington 9-18 2-13 -7 201 48 vs. ASU 2/16
    Oregon St. 5-23 1-14 -7 286 65 vs. Colorado 2/16
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 02-20-2017 at 09:04 AM.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    So for the second straight year I've totally nerded out and created a spreadsheet for the Pac 12 Schedule and standings, which you should be able to view here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=523575829

Last year I did weekly projections for the Pac 12 Tournament...that's always a hoot.

I will try to update it as soon as my schedule permits, but I will also update the table below as well:

Team Record Conf. Record Conf +/- RPI SOS Next vs.
    UCLA 12-0 0-0 19 173 vs. WMU (12/21)
    USC 10-0 0-0 21 169 vs. Cornell (12/19)
    Arizona 10-2 0-0 31 71 vs. New Mexico (12/20)
    Oregon 10-2 0-0 32 67 vs. Fresno St. (12/20)
    Cal 9-2 0-0 87 196 vs. UVA (12/21)
    Utah 7-2 0-0 213 326 vs. San Francisco (12/22)
    Colorado 8-3 0-0 92 136 @ Air Force (12/19)
    Stanford 7-3 0-0 47 23 @ SMU (12/19)
    Arizona St. 6-5 0-0 112 76 vs. Creighton (12/20)
    Washington St. 6-5 0-0 188 132 vs. Sacramento St. (12/21)
    Washington 5-5 0-0 153 98 vs. Cal Poly (12/20)
    Oregon St. 3-9 0-0 343 310 vs. Kent St. (12/21)
    our SOS is embarrassing so far, but it could be worse. We could have OSU's SOS and record.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

The bulk of the league wraps up their non-conference games tonight, and will then have a week or so off before conference play begins next week. We have the opportunity to finish 10-2 in the non-con (which is exactly what we should've done).

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Standings updated through the first weekend. Utes solidly in as the #3 seed right now...I anticipate this will hold.

Oregon was the only team in the first set of games this week to pick up a +1 in the road wins column. They have another good opportunity vs. WSU on Saturday. Of all the win-less teams, UW probably has the best shot to get a W vs. Oregon St., though the Beavers played WSU pretty tough.

With the rest of the schedule being what it is, Utah has a big opportunity to pick up a road W and stay ahead of several other middle of the Pac teams.

Romar is going to be fired this season. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion. He has all those five stars and can't get into the NCAA playoffs.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Romar is going to be fired this season. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion. He has all those five stars and can't get into the NCAA playoffs.
    Isn't that about 5 years too late?

I agree, and it makes me a little nervous. Apparently, you can recruit big time talent to Seattle. They might make a good hire and add one more team to an already competitive conference.

Updated through 4 games...

Based on the matchups this week, the Utes probably won't gain much ground (unless they sweep) or lose much ground (unless they get swept). The team that probably stands the most to gain is Cal, who has a home stand vs. the Washington Schools. Oregon and Arizona are likely heading to a 5-0 start, and the Buffs could very well be 0-5 after this weekend.

If the Utes can get the win on Thursday vs. USC, they can play on Saturday with some house money.

RPI "jumps" to 87.

Another big opportunity to gain some ground for the Utes this week as the Arizona schools travel to the Southern Cal Schools and the Northern Cal Schools go to Oregon.

With our RPI at 80, it would be nice to walk out of this week's games 5-2.

You have to figure Cal is going to take a loss @ Oregon, and either Arizona or UCLA will add a loss (at this point we're probably rooting for the Cats to beat everyone they play) and USC could potentially take a loss vs. Arizona...but if they beat them, it probably helps our RPI and tournament resume.

With our RPI at 80, it would be nice to walk out of this week's games 5-2.
    I think these two are must wins for us.

We need two things that kind of go against each other. We need to finish 4th, and we need Cal and USC to keep winning so that they are at least bubble teams.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

We need two things that kind of go against each other. We need to finish 4th, and we need Cal and USC to keep winning so that they are at least bubble teams.
    I think if we finish fourth, it doesn't matter what the other teams do. Has the P10/12 ever gotten fewer than 4 in?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I think if we finish fourth, it doesn't matter what the other teams do. Has the P10/12 ever gotten fewer than 4 in?
    Dunno, but UW once won the title and didn't get in.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's pretty hard for me to accept that we should expect a road sweep at any time. But Washington and WSU are the best chance of getting a road sweep the season.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    It's pretty hard for me to accept that we should expect a road sweep at any time. But Washington and WSU are the best chance of getting a road sweep the season.
    I agree about road trips, and that's why our tournament odds seem so low. We basically have to be perfect.

The standings after this weekend should look similar to how they are today. Arizona will sweep the Washington schools. Oregon will hopefully get a split. UCLA beats USC. Utah (hopefully gets a home sweep). Cal beats Stanford.

The biggest opportunity to move up will come from ASU, who gets the washington schools. So at the end of the week you'll likely have USC and ASU at 4-5, Stanford at 3-6 and the Washington Schools at 3-6/2-7 with the winner of Colorado/Oregon State getting a firm hold on that 11 spot.

Our RPI is now 57...if we beat Oregon, that pushes us a long ways towards getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    It got one in the year UW won the regular season and didn't get in. I think Colorado won the Pac 12 tournament that year. There's a lot of resentment out there for the Pac 12. We're just too cool.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

It got one in the year UW won the regular season and didn't get in. I think Colorado won the Pac 12 tournament that year. There's a lot of resentment out there for the Pac 12. We're just too cool.
    UW won the PAC-12 in 2011/-2012. They didn't make the tournament that year, but Cal and Colorado did. So only two teams that year.

In 2010/2011 and 2014/2015, 4 teams got in. Each other year since expansion to 12 teams, more than 4 have gotten in.

Utes back to 4th at 5-3, Cal also 5-3, both should get home wins and be 6-3 heading into next week. USC is done for the week at 5-4 and has a chance to gain some ground next week @ the Washington Schools.

Oregon and Arizona are two games away from their only showdown of the year in Eugene where they should both be 10-0. What a game that will be.

I will debut the DNF Pac 12 conference bracket projection on Monday. I hope you can contain your excitement.

Utes back to 4th at 5-3, Cal also 5-3, both should get home wins and be 6-3 heading into next week. USC is done for the week at 5-4 and has a chance to gain some ground next week @ the Washington Schools.

Oregon and Arizona are two games away from their only showdown of the year in Eugene where they should both be 10-0. What a game that will be.

I will debut the DNF Pac 12 conference bracket projection on Monday. I hope you can contain your excitement.
    With baited breath

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    With baited breath

...more like

At the halfway point, I expect a top-heavy, upset free remainder to the season.

Here's the long awaited highly scientific DNF projections:

1. Arizona 17-1
    2. Oregon 16-2
    3. UCLA 14-4
    4. Utah 13-5
    5. Cal 12-6
    6. USC 11-7
    7. WSU 6-12
    8. ASU 6-12
    9. Colorado 5-13
    10. Stanford 5-13
    11. Washington 2-16
    12. Oregon St. 1-15

Current Sagarin strength of schedule Pac12:

Arizona 56
    Oregon 50
    UCLA 66
    #38 Utah (13-6) 87 - Only counts DivI games
    California 89
    USC 78
    Colorado 54
    Stanford 23
    Washington 77
    ASU 46
    Washington State 90
    Oregon State 82

Other Notables
    #34 Marquette (14-7) 32
    #35 Clemson (12-8) 5
    #36 Maryland (18-2) 61
    #37 Dayton (14-5) 70
    #39 Texas Tech (13-9) 97
    #40 Michigan St (13-9) 11

Well, we were the big loser out of last week...though if you are looking for a silver lining, barring a total collapse, we will finish no worse than 6th in the league.

Here's this week's projection:

1. Arizona
    2. Oregon
    3. UCLA
    4. Cal (up one)
    5. Utah (down one)
    6. USC
    7. ASU (up one)
    8. Colorado (up one)
    9. Stanford (up one)
    10. WSU (down 3)
    11. Washington
    12. Oregon St.

Cal is currently occupying the 4th spot and has a one game lead over USC and a two game lead over us, but they now head for three straight road games in Arizona and against Stanford, who we know is capable. We are big time ASU fans this week.

I'm projecting Oregon to lose @ UCLA, but if they manage to sweep that roadie, they'll probably win out.

Well, we were the big loser out of last week...though if you are looking for a silver lining, barring a total collapse, we will finish no worse than 6th in the league.
    Fourth would be great, fifth would be fine, since we would just beat up on OSU before playing the 4th place team, who we would have played anyway if we were 4th and they were 5th. Sixth would be bad because we'd likely have to play UCLA in the second round. We have to get to the semis to have any chance at the big dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post
    Fourth would be great, fifth would be fine, since we would just beat up on OSU before playing the 4th place team, who we would have played anyway if we were 4th and they were 5th. Sixth would be bad because we'd likely have to play UCLA in the second round. We have to get to the semis to have any chance at the big dance.
    Sixth would be OK as well because we would have the 8:30 game and those coming down would be able to make the game.

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Sixth would be OK as well because we would have the 8:30 game and those coming down would be able to make the game.

Here's a funny question...does it make more sense for the Utes to be the 5th or 6th seed so that they pick up another win in Vegas before facing someone in the top 4? I mean, It's likely Oregon St. or Washington...so not sure how much that helps other than get you to 22 wins or so.

Here's a funny question...does it make more sense for the Utes to be the 5th or 6th seed so that they pick up another win in Vegas before facing someone in the top 4? I mean, It's likely Oregon St. or Washington...so not sure how much that helps other than get you to 22 wins or so.

After Stanford, I don't think we're getting an at-large.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    After Stanford, I don't think we're getting an at-large.
    Well it certainly ain't looking good.