Thread: Climate Change

Climate Change

I am like this writer. I am open to the truth, and seriously trying to figure out what is happening. He makes some good points about what might be done to convince people like me. I am not a skeptic, just agnostic.

How to convince skeptics that climate change is a problem

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1581596...te-change-is-a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I don´t follow climate change issues closely but this blog post caught my eye:

Nineteen nations “believe” in climate change. How are they backing up their statement of faith?

China was praised for signing on to the Paris Climate Agreement and in Argentina reaffirmed its commitment to controlling greenhouse gas emissions. Last year, however, China increased those emissions by 1.7 percent.

India, the fourth largest source for CO2, saw their emissions grow by 4.6 percent in 2017. Luckily for them, they too were praised for signing that “nonbinding communiqué.”

Overall, the European Union raised their CO2 output by 1.5 percent.

France, home of the Paris Agreement, is leading the diplomatic effort to save the planet.
    They increased their greenhouse gas emissions by 3.6 percent. . . .

If the nations paying lip service to climate change aren’t meeting their goals, imagine how poorly the oil-drilling, coal-mining Americans must be doing. President Donald Trump was pilloried for withdrawing from the Paris Agreement and for being only G20 leader who refused to sign the climate change statement in Argentina.

From 2016 to 2017, U.S. greenhouse gas emissions decreased by 2.7 percent. Emissions from large power plants declined 4.5 percent since 2016, and nearly 20 percent since 2011. All without signing a piece of paper in Paris or Buenos Aires.

What is the writer missing?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

THis may be the best article I’ve read about Climate Change, dissecting the recent 1,600 page government report that was repeatedly (mis)characterized in certain media outlets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/press-is-the-enemy-of-climate-1543966906?emailToken=1c68156768c14f83856432a97e83 20bd/wMG96TRcA2maBoW/zogF/MZVwklyjL/Fp5F9PnHr72MoL/M85v89BaZ0ZkohJzT77atZ8DuAziX1juozx8mHw%3D%3D&refl ink=article_copyURL_share
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Want to know why I want to reduce and hopefully completely eliminate almost all CO2 emissions and other pollutants? Because I live in the Salt Lake Valley and today I can't see across the valley or even the mountains I live within walking distance and the pollution from the inversion is murder on my asthma.

I spent many years commuting from Park City to SLC and to feel it in your lungs as you drive into the smog is disturbing. I'm fairly certain that someday we'll find out about the real health problems this is actually causing us.

This area has had inversions since the beginning of time, but now it means something because it traps all of our emissions in. I'd love to return to a day where inversion just means it is warm at the resorts and cold in the valley.

As a kid I remember getting "haze" a few days in the winter, and never in the summer. Now haze sets in a day or two after a storm and we can go weeks without relief. Now we get unhealthy days in the summer. Our population continues to grow here and it is only going to get worse. This is a primary reason why I want to move elsewhere.

So I think anyone who lives in this area should be big on investing in technology that will create zero and low emission vehicles as well as power plants and other industries that belch filth into our air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    THis may be the best article I’ve read about Climate Change, dissecting the recent 1,600 page government report that was repeatedly (mis)characterized in certain media outlets.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/press-is-the-enemy-of-climate-1543966906?emailToken=1c68156768c14f83856432a97e83 20bd/wMG96TRcA2maBoW/zogF/MZVwklyjL/Fp5F9PnHr72MoL/M85v89BaZ0ZkohJzT77atZ8DuAziX1juozx8mHw%3D%3D&refl ink=article_copyURL_share
    Very interesting. Thanks.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    So I think anyone who lives in this area should be big on investing in technology that will create zero and low emission vehicles as well as power plants and other industries that belch filth into our air.
    The Wasatch Front periodic acute air quality issue is a microcosm of an Achilles heel of democracies - dealing with long term problems. Right now everyone is upset, pointing fingers and offering solutions... then when the inversion clears, the issue is forgotten, back to the status quo, younger male adults abound driving chipped diesel pickups and proud of the smoke they produce, an exclamation point on "freedom"(tm).

There are a myriad of common sense ideas on how to mitigate our air quality problem. My best hope is Millennials and moms. And I'm seeing more Teslas.