Thread: Lone Peak 3

Lone Peak 3

I don't want to put this in the "I Can't Quit You" thread because I don't want this to be a bashing session on BYU or the predictions made about the Lone Peak kids.

I heard this interview from Britton Johnson where they asked him about that situation and what he made of it. I think he nailed it on the head as to what is going on. Also, he has some great Majerus comparisons.

http://www.1280thezone.com/britton-j...their-laurels/

The Lone Peak stuff starts at the 12:00 minute mark, but the whole thing is worth a listen.

Oh, and if anyone can find that video of Majerus dressing down Jeff Johnson, I'd love to see it.

U-Ute
    Last edited by U-Ute; 03-09-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I don't want to put this in the "I Can't Quit You" thread because I don't want this to be a bashing session on BYU or the predictions made about the Lone Peak kids.

I heard this interview from Britton Johnson where they asked him about that situation and what he made of it. I think he nailed it on the head as to what is going on. Also, he has some great Majerus comparisons.

http://www.1280thezone.com/britton-j...their-laurels/

The Lone Peak stuff starts at the 12:00 minute mark, but the whole thing is worth a listen.

Oh, and if anyone can find that video of Majerus dressing down Jeff Johnson, I'd love to see it.

U-Ute
    I think what Britton says is spot on and I think it applies to any team. Romar might do some good to listen to what he talked about on team play. He seems to get a lot of great talent in there and can't capitalize and it is because they just don't play team ball.

I don't watch a lot (really any) high school hoops. I'll catch some highlights here and there and in that setting the disparity in talent is pretty dramatic. You've typically got a kid with college potential playing on a team where he is heads and shoulders above anyone else on the floor. It isn't even comparable, it is like a man playing on a children's playground. In that setting you can do amazing things and score 35 points a game and carry a mediocre team on your back to the championship.

Lone Peak had three guys like that and dominated and they are good players (not really NBA potential though). Now they are playing in one of the lower conferences in the NCAA and their talent isn't THAT much greater than anyone else on the floor. Playing selfish ball, no defense and hucking up any shot they feel like means you are going to lose a lot of games.

I actually think a guy like Britton who gets that could make a tremendous difference for BYU. In fact, I don't know that they'll ever be a final four team, but they certainly could be that hard-nosed team that does some damage in the tournament because of really competent basketball complimented by a little bit of talent.

Jimmer Freddette was done a tremendous disservice with the style of ball they play there.

Unfortunately, BYU fans will likely never know how good they could be. Last coaching change I was one of those guys hoping we could get Rose, now I am glad we didn't.

It's waaay to early to start dancing on their grave. They're sophomores. Is anyone here besides LA, Maake and me a fan long enough to remember the dark days of Danny Vranes and Tom Chambers' junior and Pace Mannion's freshman season. THREE future NBA players--two of them high lottery--and the Utes didn't qualify for the NCAA playoffs. To add insult to injury, Danny Ainge et al. slaughtered them twice. The next season was very different.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It's waaay to early to start dancing on their grave. They're sophomores. Is anyone here besides LA, Maake and me a fan long enough to remember the dark days of Danny Vranes and Tom Chambers' junior and Pace Mannion's freshman season. THREE future NBA players--two of them high lottery--and the Utes didn't qualify for the NCAA playoffs. To add insult to injury, Danny Ainge et al. slaughtered them twice. The next season was very different.
    Thanks for making me dredge up those long-repressed memories. My PTSD is now acting up.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Nobody is dancing on their graves. That's why I didn't want it to come across like that.

It was "what do they need to do to reach their potential".

Nobody is dancing on their graves. That's why I didn't want it to come across like that.

I'm all for dancing on their grave when we know a slimy arm won't rise out of the earth and grip our ankle. I don't like those guys so I'd rather they not reach their potential. It was interesting that when Gonzaga won in Provo this year Few made that borderline anti-Mormon comment (that it's really satisfying to beat BYU because BYU fans see their sports teams as some kind of validation of their superior culture; it's interesting how annoying BYU is that way even to people who didn't grow up contending with it) and then BYU goes up to Spokane and beats the Zags on their floor. Shows they have potential.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I was, but it was kind of a slow dance to "Forever Young". I'll stop.

I'm not sure I know who the Lone Peak 3 are? My guess is that its Haws, Emery and Mika. Was Frank Jackson on that team too?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I'm not sure I know who the Lone Peak 3 are? My guess is that its Haws, Emery and Mika. Was Frank Jackson on that team too?
    that is the three amigos. Jackson is younger, and may not have transferred to Lone Peak until after they were gone. I cant remember; at most he played a year with them..

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    that is the three amigos. Jackson is younger, and may not have transferred to Lone Peak until after they were gone. I cant remember; at most he played a year with them..
    Didn't those guys all graduate from high school about a decade ago? It sure seems like it. The Nation's Oldest Sophomores are having themselves a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Didn't those guys all graduate from high school about a decade ago? It sure seems like it. The Nation's Oldest Sophomores are having themselves a great time.
    Ha, I don't know why this post reminded me of a Van Horn tweet about Majerus. If you don't follow Keith Van Horn on twitter you should - he frequently will post a bunch of funny Majerus quotes from his time there. One of them was, "Keith, why don't you and Carroll transfer to Cal and let the good times roll? They play your type of defense." -Rick Majerus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer The Lone Peak Superfriends.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Ha, I don't know why this post reminded me of a Van Horn tweet about Majerus. If you don't follow Keith Van Horn on twitter you should - he frequently will post a bunch of funny Majerus quotes from his time there. One of them was, "Keith, why don't you and Carroll transfer to Cal and let the good times roll? They play your type of defense." -Rick Majerus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Poor Carroll. Hes always being told to transfer in these stories.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Poor Carroll. Hes always being told to transfer in these stories.
    Him and Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Him and Chapman.
    I always felt bad for Ryan Hunt having to translate Majerus's insults to Ma Jian.

I always felt bad for Ryan Hunt having to translate Majerus's insults to Ma Jian.
    I'd love to get him in a corner and see what he actually said in those instances. There are a number of factors there that would make it humorous (today) from the fact that missionaries don't necessarily learn to speak conversationally, let alone a lot of the slang/vulgarities. Plus I imagine that Ryan Hunt was probably a pretty nice guy.

Majerus: MA! In China you eat dog, in America we play defense! D-E-F-E-N-S-E! Translate that Hunt.
    Hunt (In Chinese): Coach says you better learn to play defense quick or he is going to sit on you.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    True story...they played against Aaron Gordon in High School.
    Yes the same Aaron Gordon who played at Arizona like 3 years ago and has been in 2 consecutive dunk contests. The Lone Peak kids are just getting their first year of college out of the way....same age!

Other NBA veterans or college seniors from that HS class
    Andrew Wiggins
    Julius Randle
    Jabari Parker
    Noah Vonleh
    Wayne Seldon
    Isaac Hamilton
    Tyler Ennis
    Joel Embiid
    Jabari Bird
    Zach LaVine
    Jordan Mathews
    Last edited by The Thrill; 03-12-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    True story...they played against Aaron Gordon in High School.
    Yes the same Aaron Gordon who played at Arizona like 3 years ago and has been in 2 consecutive dunk contests. The Lone Peak kids are just getting their first year of college out of the way....same age!

Other NBA veterans or college seniors from that HS class
    Andrew Wiggins
    Julius Randle
    Jabari Parker
    Noah Vonleh
    Wayne Seldon
    Isaac Hamilton
    Tyler Ennis
    Joel Embiid
    Jabari Bird
    Zach LaVine
    Jordan Mathews
    This may be the funniest thing I've ever read.