Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not Interested Thanks - The Official NIT Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    That is pretty amazing. What would college b-ball be like if everyone played 4 years...
    Kuz's achille's heel, outside shooting seemrd to be showing some significant improvement the last 2-3 weeks. If he is projected at 51 and a non-guaranteed 2nd round contract, another year of continuing improvement may be enough to get him to the 1st round.

This matters because being drafted in the 1st round carries a guaranteed contract. If he leaves this year, he will likely end up.making 30k in the D-league or a little morevif he goes overseas.

If Kuzma can score 17 and 9 and hit 40% from three with a deep tourney run, he will get drafted 10-20 next year.

Someone with his size and athleticism who can hit the three? That's rare.

A big IF, but he hit 33% this year. If he can sniff 40%, his stock will soar.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Kuz's achille's heel, outside shooting seemrd to be showing some significant improvement the last 2-3 weeks. If he is projected at 51 and a non-guaranteed 2nd round contract, another year of continuing improvement may be enough to get him to the 1st round.

This matters because being drafted in the 1st round carries a guaranteed contract. If he leaves this year, he will likely end up.making 30k in the D-league or a little morevif he goes overseas.
    Kuzma shot 33% from 3 this year, and 30% for his career. There has been talk about him moving to the 3 next year, which would give him more oppty to shoot from 3, but wouldn't he have the same problem as Loveridge? too slow to guard the opposing 3? Would ever be quick enough to play the 3 in the NBA, and would he ever shoot an NBA 3 well enough to be a stretch 4? unlikely it seems to me. He is a tweener.
    Last edited by concerned; 03-13-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    If Kuzma can score 17 and 9 and hit 40% from three with a deep tourney run, he will get drafted 10-20 next year.

he would have to have a senior year like Frank Kaminsky's. I dont see it happening.

Irrespective of what class they are, just reflecting on the caliber of player who is a lottery pick over the past 10 years Kuzma just doesn't fit the bill. He'd need some drastic improvement beyond 3pt shooting and a lot of that is tied to b-ball IQ and leadership.

That doesn't mean I don't love him or think he isn't NBA potential, just not lotto pick caliber. A really strong senior season MIGHT get him late first round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    he would have to have a senior year like Frank Kaminsky's. I dont see it happening.
    Perfectly put.

Kuzma should stay in school. He can have a Frank Kaminsky season. And there are other reasons to stay in school. Like Doug Gottleib says, school has intrinsic value. It would be a big mistake for him to leave with a year left.

Two weeks ago the consensus here was he wasn't even an NBA prospect at all. What's changed?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Kuzma should stay in school. He can have a Frank Kaminsky season. And there are other reasons to stay in school. Like Doug Gottleib says, school has intrinsic value. It would be a big mistake for him to leave with a year left.

Two weeks ago the consensus here was he wasn't even an NBA prospect at all. What's changed?
    What has changed is Kuzma showing up on mock drafts and some rumors that he is going to go. He has already graduated (or will this spring), so how much intrinsic value (whatever that is) can there be to hanging around.

I got curious and looked it up. Kuzma this year is essentially the same age that Kaminsky was when drafted (22) Kaminsky is two inches taller. He shot 37.6% from 3 his junior year, and 41.6% his senior year. He was national basketball player of the year in 2015, and led Wisconsin to the title game, as we know. He shoots 33% from the NBA 3 point line.

You really think Kuzma can duplicate that?

Utah Baseball games are fantastic to attend. One of my favorite spring time activities.

Aren't season passes like $25 for five? No brainer.
    Yes, and you get a nice cap and up to 6 people can go on your pass.

I doubt he is a serious NBA prospect. He should, however, declare and get an evaluation or whatever it is the NBA does.

He has offensive deficiencies, but his defensive deficiencies are significant. He is not big enough or strong enough to guard the 4 and is not quick enough or athletic enough to guard the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I doubt he is a serious NBA prospect. He should, however, declare and get an evaluation or whatever it is the NBA does.
    I think he can do that and still return if he doesn't hire an agent.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I read an article today on NBA draft prospects in the NCAA tourney. It mentioned that, as of today, there is a very real possibility that there won't be a single senior drafted in the first round of this year's draft. Hart from Villanova is the best shot. Kuzma could return and do some good stuff, but I have my doubts that his draft stock would increase. Of course it's possible, but I don't see it as being high probability. He can always work in the D-League or Europe while getting paid and still trying to get to the NBA. If he has his degree, the only reasons to come back are either because he loves his team/school or because he thinks the team can win big next year.

Boise St. is a decent team---they beat SMU which is 30-4 & a 6 seed in NCAA--Boise was up by 20 at the half & won by 8.

They lost by 5 at Oregon after leading much of the game.

They have big athletic guards--the kind that give the Utes trouble.

Utes are a 10.5 favorite.? But they still better bring their A game or the won't have to worry about playing BYU or anyone else in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Boise St. is a decent team---they beat SMU which is 30-4 & a 6 seed in NCAA--Boise was up by 20 at the half & won by 8.

They lost by 5 at Oregon after leading much of the game.

They have big athletic guards--the kind that give the Utes trouble.

Utes are a 10.5 favorite.? But they still better bring their A game or the won't have to worry about playing BYU or anyone else in NY.
    That doesn't sound good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I read an article today on NBA draft prospects in the NCAA tourney. It mentioned that, as of today, there is a very real possibility that there won't be a single senior drafted in the first round of this year's draft. Hart from Villanova is the best shot. Kuzma could return and do some good stuff, but I have my doubts that his draft stock would increase. Of course it's possible, but I don't see it as being high probability. He can always work in the D-League or Europe while getting paid and still trying to get to the NBA. If he has his degree, the only reasons to come back are either because he loves his team/school or because he thinks the team can win big next year.
    He can pick up a graduate degree, like Andre did.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Here would be my argument to Kyle:

1 - You are a second rounder this year. The money probably isn't there that you think will be there.

2 - You scored 3, 10, 16 your first three years here. You are getting significantly better every year.

3 - You went from 25% from three last year to 33% this year. And that was with you taking twice as many threes this year.

4 - From three, Kyle was 1.0/2.9 per game. If he can get that up to 1.2/2.9, he's a 40% shooter. He shot 81 threes this year. He made 27. If he gets up to 33, he's a 40% shooter. That is six more makes than this year. He shot 38% from three in PAC-12 play.

5 - His PER has gone from 16, 18, 25. Get that up again for another year.

6 - Work on your defense.

It boils down to this:

Can you get better? Yup.

Can you fix some things this next year? Yup.

If you fix those things, could you be a first rounder? Yup.

If you fixed those things and took Utah on a deep tournament run, could you sneak into the lottery? Yup.

Show the NBA scouts that you can keep getting better. Show them that you can carry a team. Show them you can hit the three ball. If he can get to 40% from three, he becomes very, very, very valuable. And if he can do that and play some defense? He then forces you to consider him at 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, etc.

An instant rotation player who can hit the three. That has a TON of value, especially to a team like Utah, San Antonio, LAC, Boston, etc.

I just don't see a good reason to not come back. Worst case scenario, he comes back, is the same player, and gets drafted in the second round.

Utah,
    Kuzma doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of being a lottery pick. Otherwise, I agree with your points about him staying. There is no question he can improve his standing. He will not be drafted if he chooses to leave this season. I think his ceiling is low first early second. He might be able to play his way into an off the bench stretch four in a few NBA scouts and general managers minds. To get there his shooting must improve again (as you point out) and his defense has to really improve. He'll have to prove to NBA people that he can defend the four position. As Uteopia said earlier today - he hasn't demonstrated that yet. I do think he has the size - see his strong rebounding against bigs in the Pac-12 but he has lacked the will/skill to defend size in the league.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Poetl signed a two year contract with the Raptors for an average about $2.5 million per annum, with the Raptors owning the option to renew or not after that year. After 2017-18, they can throw him to the curb, and he can make $65,000 per year in Europe. Where he is right now, I'm not sure it made a difference whether he went out after this season or last. $5 million before taxes, etc. may sound like a lot to a 21 year old, but it's really not enough to live well on for a lifetime, whether he gets it during ages 21-22 or 22-23 is really inconsequential. None of these guys we're talking about are going to be in the NBA into their 30s and that extra year of no consequence in the NBA isn't going to add anything.

http://www.raptorshq.com/2016/7/9/12...-pascal-siakam

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Poetl signed a two year contract with the Raptors for an average about $2.5 million per annum, with the Raptors owning the option to renew or not after that year. After 2017-18, they can throw him to the curb, and he can make $65,000 per year in Europe. Where he is right now, I'm not sure it made a difference whether he went out after this season or last. $5 million before taxes, etc. may sound like a lot to a 21 year old, but it's really not enough to live well on for a lifetime, whether he gets it during ages 21-22 or 22-23 is really inconsequential. None of these guys we're talking about are going to be in the NBA into their 30s and that extra year of no consequence in the NBA isn't going to add anything.

http://www.raptorshq.com/2016/7/9/12...-pascal-siakam
    It is possible that had Poetl stayed another year his shortcomings would have been exposed and he would have been drafted lower and guaranteed less money. Kuzma isn't a first round pick and there is no guaranteed money for him, so unless he is anxious to play overseas, he should probably stay for his senior year.

Boise lost to only 3 teams in the MWC, but were swept by Nevada, Fresno State and UNM.

Boise went 6-3 on the road in league games and 7-6 overall, but only one (at Nevada) was a true blowout.

Quickie kenpom check says Utah is a more efficient team on offense and defense, Boise plays a little faster and played a much better non-con and marginally lesser schedule overall.

I think that Utah can win, but not as decisively as the line (11.5-12) is saying it should.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Boise lost to only 3 teams in the MWC, but were swept by Nevada, Fresno State and UNM.

Boise went 6-3 on the road in league games and 7-6 overall, but only one (at Nevada) was a true blowout.

Quickie kenpom check says Utah is a more efficient team on offense and defense, Boise plays a little faster and played a much better non-con and marginally lesser schedule overall.

I think that Utah can win, but not as decisively as the line (11.5-12) is saying it should.
    Add in that I don't think there is a guy on the team who cares about a deep NIT run and I put this as a likely upset. I'm not much of one to be a downer on our team, but I think we lose this one.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It is possible that had Poetl stayed another year his shortcomings would have been exposed and he would have been drafted lower and guaranteed less money. Kuzma isn't a first round pick and there is no guaranteed money for him, so unless he is anxious to play overseas, he should probably stay for his senior year.
    When I was a kid people used to say college isn't for anybody. Now it's clear that unless you are an entertainer or entrepreneur in a truly freakishly elite class more education is better. These guys are going to need degrees, almost every one of them. That's going to be more and more true as they get older, as robots start not only driving ubers and making lattes and laying brick but also cleaning our teeth and even doing open heart surgery and writing legal briefs.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

When I was a kid people used to say college isn't for anybody. Now it's clear that unless you are an entertainer or entrepreneur in a truly freakishly elite class more education is better. These guys are going to need degrees, almost every one of them. That's going to be more and more true as they get older, as robots start not only driving ubers and making lattes and laying brick but also cleaning our teeth and even doing open heart surgery and writing legal briefs.

Anything that requires any sort of interview where the interviewers are choosing who to interview based on resume, you need a college education. A college degree now is what a high school degree was 50 years ago: the minimum bar used to filter out applicants.

What is it with this Hutchison guy? He has scored more than half of Boise's points. I'm listening on the radio and Riley is pointing out that there always seems to be someone on the opposing team who just goes off on the Utes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    What is it with this Hutchison guy? He has scored more than half of Boise's points. I'm listening on the radio and Riley is pointing out that there always seems to be someone on the opposing team who just goes off on the Utes.
    Our defensive focus is taking away three pointers. It's opening up driving lanes, and our guards aren't known for denying penetration. A couple of the shots he were pretty high on the difficulty scale.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Halftime observations:

BSU 0-8 from 3 point line

Utah has 10 assists on its 15 made shots

evety other stat other than the score are eerily close or the same.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-14-2017 at 09:22 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I just tuned back in for the last 2 1/2 minutes. I'm glad I did not watch or listen to this. And I must admit that for the first time ever, after decades of being a Utah fan, I actually laughed out loud when I realized what was happening. Sad.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Blech. Last 4 minutes were awful.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."