Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not Interested Thanks - The Official NIT Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    yikes.
    The Utes looked like they realized late in the game that, if they won, they would have to do all of this all over again.
    How else to explain the complete disinterest they showed in the last 6 minutes of the game?

This should put to rest the Kuzma-turning-pro rumors. He wasn't even the best player on the floor tonight.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

maybe that stinging loss will bring some fire over the off season

meanwhile Cal is down 44-19 to CSU Bakersfield at the half

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I just tuned back in for the last 2 1/2 minutes. I'm glad I did not watch or listen to this. And I must admit that for the first time ever, after decades of being a Utah fan, I actually laughed out loud when I realized what was happening. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You missed out man...it was really awesome when we were up by 10...now, the last 8 minutes or so, yes, that was miserable. So much for the NIT not meaning anything... this sends us crashing into the offseason.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

At least we have a good ski team.

Ivan Rabb opted not to play today, and they are still without Jabari Bird. That explains some of Cal's horribleness

I have defended Larry K., but this one is on him.

Not sure what the plan was to start Rawson, Kuzma, Collette, Bealer & Bonam. But it did not work to start the game yet they did it in the 2nd half too. Rawson was horrible.
    And they had no idea what to do with Hutchinson---double team him every time he touches the ball????take it out of his hands. he is really a good player, but he was their whole team.

And once again Utes lack of shooting killed them. Every team packs it in because they can't shoot. Plus they can't hit FTs.

Boise is really a bad team----

not sure what that makes the Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Ivan Rabb opted not to play today, and they are still without Jabari Bird. That explains some of Cal's horribleness
    Our guys would have been a LOT more interested in this game if we were the #1 team in the tourney!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    I have defended Larry K., but this one is on him.

Not sure what the plan was to start Rawson, Kuzma, Collette, Bealer & Bonam. But it did not work to start the game yet they did it in the 2nd half too. Rawson was horrible.
    And they had no idea what to do with Hutchinson---double team him every time he touches the ball????take it out of his hands. he is really a good player, but he was their whole team.

And once again Utes lack of shooting killed them. Every team packs it in because they can't shoot. Plus they can't hit FTs.

Boise is really a bad team----

not sure what that makes the Utes.
    Don't think BSU is really bad. Remember, it beat SMU and lost at Oregon by 5. That Hutchison kid is a stud -- inside & outside. It has more effective guards than we do. Its bigs are not as good as Collette, but are better than we have on the bench, IMO. Our recruiting has been quite sub-par based on what I've seen so far. Just really low BB IQ.
    Last edited by justaute; 03-15-2017 at 06:31 AM.

We keep complaining about 'low Basketball IQ', but at which point does that fall on the coaches and a lack of (or improper) preparation?

Maybe our coaching staff has a low BBall IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    We keep complaining about 'low Basketball IQ', but at which point does that fall on the coaches and a lack of (or improper) preparation?

Don't disagree at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post

Or are just not good teachers.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Well, I've said this before. Per Whit, it's always on the coaches -- you either can't coach-up the players or you are not recruiting right.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Well, I've said this before. Per Whit, it's always on the coaches -- you either can't coach-up the players or you are not recruiting right.
    Whit always puts it on himself and the coaches...Larry doesn't seem to do that.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Kuzma is not an NBA player. Anyone who seriously believes he is should watch how he was unable to guard Boise's No. 15. Of course, none of the Utes who were put against him (Bonam, Barefield, Bealer) guarded him, but he is a guy that Kuzma would need to be able to defend.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Kuzma is not an NBA player. Anyone who seriously believes he is should watch how he was unable to guard Boise's No. 15. Of course, none of the Utes who were put against him (Bonam, Barefield, Bealer) guarded him, but he is a guy that Kuzma would need to be able to defend.
    Where's the help? Where's the defensive rotation from the weak side? You can't even touch guys anymore on defense. You need guys who are willing to play team defense and rotate. That requires effort and IQ. That wasn't happening last night. And, Hutchinson unsurprisingly went off for 34. That's not on Kuzma. Kuzma's the best player on this team and by all accounts a really good kid. If you lose him, you lose a ton off this team.

As for Daniels, there are just too many fucking punks in college basketball and he's one of them. He thinks he's a pro. He's not a pro. He's too small. He has no chance. Sometimes you get punks on your team and it absolutely affects the team chemistry. One need look no farther than him to understand why this team has troubles in that department.

Boogie Cousins is an awesome basketball player. But's he's never gonna be a champion on a team because he's a fucking cancer. Gotta get rid of Daniels, regardless of whether any of you think he's awesome. He's a cancer.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 03-15-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Where's the help? Where's the defensive rotation from the weak side? You can't even touch guys anymore on defense. You need guys who are willing to play team defense and rotate. They requires effort and IQ. That wasn't happening last night. And, Hutchinson unsurprisingly went off for 34. That's not on Kuzma. Kuzma's the best player on this team and by all accounts a really good kid. If you lose him, you lose a ton off this team.

As for Daniels, there are just too many fucking punks in college basketball and he's one of them. He thinks he's a pro. He's not a pro. He's too small. He has no chance. Sometimes you get punks on your team and it absolutely affects the team chemistry. One need look no farther than him to understand why this team has troubles in that department.

Boogie Cousins is an awesome basketball player. But's he's never gonna be a champion on a team because he's a fucking cancer. Gotta get rid of Daniels, regardless of whether any of you think he's awesome. He's a cancer.

And last, if Larry has lost his fire or is too bothered by the BYU thing, then quit for god sakes. The BYU thing comes with the territory. Anybody who gets hired has to deal with the BYU thing. Again though, I thought the coaches did great this year except in one area. Everything would have been fine this year had the coaches scheduled the preseason better. But they wanted wins rather than have a chance at the NCAA tourney. That's weak sauce, ego-driven and ends up in a effortless NIT game.

Two Utes throwing fire. Whether I agree or not, I love the passion.

via GIPHY

And last, if Larry has lost his fire or is too bothered by the BYU thing, then quit for god sakes. The BYU thing comes with the territory. Anybody who gets hired has to deal with the BYU thing. Again though, I thought the coaches did great this year except in one area. Everything would have been fine this year had the coaches scheduled the preseason better. But they wanted wins rather than have a chance at the NCAA tourney. That's weak sauce, ego-driven and ends up in a effortless NIT game.
    That was one thought I had leaving the game last night. This team had real trouble maintaining focus and effort for an entire half. They would often have a couple of nice runs during a game and then go to sleep for long periods of time. I started to wonder if the ultra-soft preseason schedule conditioned them to coast for long stretches. When you play 10 games early on where you don't have to play hard for very long maybe it becomes a habit that you can't break when it matters.

Where's the help? Where's the defensive rotation from the weak side? You can't even touch guys anymore on defense. You need guys who are willing to play team defense and rotate. That requires effort and IQ. That wasn't happening last night. And, Hutchinson unsurprisingly went off for 34. That's not on Kuzma. Kuzma's the best player on this team and by all accounts a really good kid. If you lose him, you lose a ton off this team.

I was listening to LK's radio show a couple of weeks ago. He said he has complained to the Pac about officiating--he said the way fouls are called down low, they have taken the post player out of the game--it is impossible to play defense. Said it is a problem in college bb overall. collette breathes and he gets a foul, mostly because he is undersized and tries to compensate. He is a complete liability on defense, as you imply.

p.s.--are you saying that you think they will force Daniels out?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I was listening to LK's radio show a couple of weeks ago. He said he has complained to the Pac about officiating--he said the way fouls are called down low, they have taken the post player out of the game--it is impossible to play defense. Said it is a problem in college bb overall. collette breathes and he gets a foul, mostly because he is undersized and tries to compensate. He is a complete liability on defense, as you imply.

p.s.--are you saying that you think they will force Daniels out?
    That, and Collette is not a great post defender. And by the way, some of the shots Rawson took last not--sheesh. They gave rawson a ton off rope this year on offense. He never earned the rope.

I don't think they will force Daniels out. He will probably just leave. They will try to salvage it. They should boot him. But most coaches think they can change people.

That, and Collette is not a great post defender. And by the way, some of the shots Rawson took last not--sheesh. They gave rawson a ton off rope this year on offense. He never earned the rope.

I don't think they will force Daniels out. He will probably just leave. They will try to salvage it. They should boot him. But most coaches think they can change people.
    Daniels needs to grow up----he is only 18. He plays hard.

Example of low BB IQ--( & something that really bugged me)--down by 6 with about 1:45 left & Ute ball after a BSU basket. Bonam walks the ball up the court. Doesn't take much of a BB IQ to know you need to be in a hurry at that point. that is not teaching that is just using your head.

Somehow they needed to take Hutchinson out of the game. The rest of the Boise team was not good.

P.S. I told Hutchinson to study hard & graduate early & come here & play in the big leagues---he laughed pretty hard--I guess that is a no.?

This team had real trouble maintaining focus and effort for an entire half. They would often have a couple of nice runs during a game and then go to sleep for long periods of time.
    This is a Larry problem that has been around alot longer then this year.

I become more and more of a casual observer of U. hoops next year if Larry doesn't do something with the staff. They were underwhelming when they arrived, they underwhelm today. Part of me wants to cut Larry a lot of slack because of the dead wood on the bench, but the other part of me wonders if he looks at his assistants like he does non-conference scheduling and believes he's got it all figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I become more and more of a casual observer of U. hoops next year if Larry doesn't do something with the staff. They were underwhelming when they arrived, they underwhelm today. Part of me wants to cut Larry a lot of slack because of the dead wood on the bench, but the other part of me wonders if he looks at his assistants like he does non-conference scheduling and believes he's got it all figured out.
    Ithink
    I think he needs to take a page out of the Whitt handbook. Sure, Whitt's offenses suck, but at least the guy tries to fix the problem. K needs to look in the mirror, see where he lacks as a coach, and go find his Dennis Erickson.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Ithink
    I think he needs to take a page out of the Whitt handbook. Sure, Whitt's offenses suck, but at least the guy tries to fix the problem. K needs to look in the mirror, see where he lacks as a coach, and go find his Dennis Erickson.
    What a great example. Fresh off his first losing season as HC, and Kyle goes out and gets a guy completely foreign to the program, and one who won two national titles to boot.

What a great example. Fresh off his first losing season as HC, and Kyle goes out and gets a guy completely foreign to the program, and one who won two national titles to boot.
    And yet, we have zero to show for it. Our offense still sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    And yet, we have zero to show for it. Our offense still sucks.
    Zero to show for it? Are you kidding? We don't make the inroads we did in Florida recruiting without DE. That's not a gift that's gonna keep on giving, but to say we've got zero to show for Erickson's time at Utah is short-sighted.

Zero to show for it? Are you kidding? We don't make the inroads we did in Florida recruiting without DE. That's not a gift that's gonna keep on giving, but to say we've got zero to show for Erickson's time at Utah is short-sighted.
    The whole reason for bringing him in was to revitalize the offense, particularly the passing game. That continues to be our Achilles heel to this day. Nobody has been able to solve that riddle. Props to Dennis for his recruiting prowess but we have zero league championships, not even a south championship to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    The whole reason for bringing him in was to revitalize the offense, particularly the passing game. That continues to be our Achilles heel to this day. Nobody has been able to solve that riddle. Props to Dennis for his recruiting prowess but we have zero league championships, not even a south championship to show for it.
    Utah was in triple digits nationally the year before DE arrived. We've averaged about 35-40 spots higher during his tenure. We're average at best offensively but that's a far cry from where we were before DE arrived. One man can only do so much, and DE isn't even a coordinator.