Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Offseason 2017 thread

The Basketball Offseason 2017 thread

Here sooner than I think we wanted, but here it is all the same. Here is a thread for everything going on, be it transfers, nba departures, commitments, coaching news.

Buckle up.

I think it really comes down to this: Can Larry build on this year or is he going to be rebuilding after this year?

It sounds like Kuzma is gone. It sounds like he'd rather get paid in the NBA DL than not get paid. I think he'd be better off coming back, but I won't fault a kid for wanting to get paid.

What happens if Daniels leaves as well (I have no info on this, 100% stupid fan, message board speculation).

At some point, the "Larry is rebuilding this program from scratch" narrative needs to fade and we need to progress from season to season. Larry found a diamond in Wright and we got a little lucky with Poeltl and Cal firing their coach. Since then, we've been getting worse every year.

If we keep the team together, Kuzma and Daniels stay, then I'm really excited for next year. Then, we now have a foundation and are building for the future. We will be better and Larry is the guy for the job.

If we lose a bunch of starters, and are basically starting over with Tillman and Barefield next year...that will be disappointing. I'd bet his seat starts to heat up at that point.

Big summer for Larry and his perception of where the program is heading.

Larry has done so much right, but at the same time, he has the FBYU-P story, the bad OOC, the transfers, etc. If he wins, those aren't a big deal at all. If he can't make the tournament most years, then those become big red flags.

Anyways, my rambling thoughts.

Yes, buckle up. This team had no chemistry, lacked heart and leadership. I am almost to the point where I expect another player exodus this offseason. Just reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like LK really liked this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I think it really comes down to this: Can Larry build on this year or is he going to be rebuilding after this year?

It sounds like Kuzma is gone. It sounds like he'd rather get paid in the NBA DL than not get paid. I think he'd be better off coming back, but I won't fault a kid for wanting to get paid.

What happens if Daniels leaves as well (I have no info on this, 100% stupid fan, message board speculation).

At some point, the "Larry is rebuilding this program from scratch" narrative needs to fade and we need to progress from season to season. Larry found a diamond in Wright and we got a little lucky with Poeltl and Cal firing their coach. Since then, we've been getting worse every year.

If we keep the team together, Kuzma and Daniels stay, then I'm really excited for next year. Then, we now have a foundation and are building for the future. We will be better and Larry is the guy for the job.

If we lose a bunch of starters, and are basically starting over with Tillman and Barefield next year...that will be disappointing. I'd bet his seat starts to heat up at that point.

Big summer for Larry and his perception of where the program is heading.

Larry has done so much right, but at the same time, he has the FBYU-P story, the bad OOC, the transfers, etc. If he wins, those aren't a big deal at all. If he can't make the tournament most years, then those become big red flags.

Anyways, my rambling thoughts.
    Agreed. All fair points.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Yes, buckle up. This team had no chemistry, lacked heart and leadership. I am almost to the point where I expect another player exodus this offseason. Just reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like LK really liked this team.
    the only senior was not a leader----low BB IQ. Down by 6 & about 1:45 left & he was walking it up the court.?

Reyes & Ogbe who left last year could play right away. Someone on this team will have to be really unhappy to sit out a year.
    So I don't think anyone other than Jokl--who should go back home will transfer.
    Daniels looked energized & into it last night---he should learn that he is not a great dunker. He & Seeley looked like they are good friends.
    Jayce Johnson will improve a ton by next year--we could use him as rim protector.

they really need to find a shooter----Barefield & PVD need to step up in that area & they need to find someone else who can shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Jayce Johnson will improve a ton by next year--we could use him as rim protector.

they really need to find a shooter----Barefield & PVD need to step up in that area & they need to find someone else who can shoot.
    This summer will be telling. I was hoping that the young guys would develop more. Guys like Johnson and Barefield were billed as 4 star kids and I hoped to see them establish themselves more then they did. I guess I am pretty down on this team right now. Losing Markannen was huge.

Speaking of coaching news....Cuonzo Martin is reportedly mulling 3.5 Million reasons to go to Missouri.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Speaking of coaching news....Cuonzo Martin is reportedly mulling 3.5 Million reasons to go to Missouri.
    done deal

Not sure Larry is a great game coach, but other than Miller & Altman--who else would you take from pac-12 over him?

Not Romar, Kent, Tinkle, Enfield--who Larry owns, Boyle --who has never beaten Larry-, Haase from Stanford, Alford.

Maybe Counzo--but only because he can recruit

maybe Hurley, but only because don't know what he can do.

Larry looking better when viewed in this group.

Not sure Larry is a great game coach, but other than Miller & Altman--who else would you take from pac-12 over him?

Not Romar, Kent, Tinkle, Enfield--who Larry owns, Boyle --who has never beaten Larry-, Haase from Stanford, Alford.

good point, I think you could do the same exercise with Whitt.

I'm curious to see how we play against OSU and USC. Both of those teams will be at full strength, have more experience, and have better recruits.

Romar and Martin both got fired today. And by fired, I mean Martin took the Mizzu job.

Cuonzo can not only recruit, but he got his talent to defend. I'm glad he's out of this league.

Hurley's first true recruiting class is miles ahead of anything Larry's gotten.

Boyle got CU out of a 0-7 league hole and into the NIT.

I'm not gonna say we gotta get rid of Larry or that massive improvement is only a coaching change away, but I'm not gonna put false narratives out there about other coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Cuonzo can not only recruit, but he got his talent to defend. I'm glad he's out of this league.

Hurley's first true recruiting class is miles ahead of anything Larry's gotten.

Boyle got CU out of a 0-7 league hole and into the NIT.

I'm not gonna say we gotta get rid of Larry or that massive improvement is only a coaching change away, but I'm not gonna put false narratives out there about other coaches.
    I
    I think we are on the same page here. I like Larry, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but, he has some major red flags around him and he needs to start to figure his stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Romar and Martin both got fired today. And by fired, I mean Martin took the Mizzu job.
    Can we make room for Michael Porter?

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Can we make room for Michael Porter?
    We had better hire michael porter senior as an asst. coach. That is what cuanzo martin is going to do at mizzou.

Job openings:

Washington
    CAL
    Indiana
    Illinois
    LSU
    NC State

Did I miss anyone?

Xavier cancelled their game in the Huntsman Center. http://goxavier.com/news/2017/6/9/me...announced.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xavier cancelled their game in the Huntsman Center. http://goxavier.com/news/2017/6/9/me...announced.aspx

Hello Cardinal Stritch,

what you guys doing on 11/16?

Booo!

"We have communicated to the Utah staff our openness to play the game in the future."

They are probably just saying that to avoid an audit...

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Got a feeling our Nov/Dec schedule is going to be awful again.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    "We have communicated to the Utah staff our openness to play the game in the future."

They are probably just saying that to avoid an audit...
    Did their coach pay the buyout personally?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Got a feeling our Nov/Dec schedule is going to be awful again.
    We should know fairly soon. Seems like other teams are putting their schedules out. When Chris Hill was interviewed not long ago by Bill Reilly, he made it sound like he allowed Larry some flexibility in last year's schedule as a one-off, so it will be very interesting to see what happens now. Granted, you've got Ole Miss, UNLV/Rice, USU, BYU, and Butler all lined up already, but still, need a decent home game or two.

History has told me this is because they're scared of us. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    History has told me this is because they're scared of us. Right?
    I'm sure your comment is TIC. As of now, nobody should be scared of Utah basketball. LK is probably happy that our schedule is a bit easier without Xavier.
    Last edited by justaute; 06-09-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    I'm sure your comment is TIC. As of now, nobody should be scared of Utah basketball. LK is probably happy that our schedule is a bit easier without Xavier.
    Yeah, I was taking a shot at the BYU reaction because there are many different reasons a school would cancel.

OOC may not be great, but at least make it interesting. Get some MWC foes in. People we have history with.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'll believe ASU is 5th when I see it. I think he is fair to us. I think anywhere from 5th to 9th is where we will land. I may be one of the last ones, but I am still hoping that we can land an impact player or two.