Thread: March Madness 2017

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I enjoyed watching Kentucky lose.
    especially on a last minute basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    especially on a last minute basket.
    That's two game winning buzzer beaters in two days. It's almost like a real March madness.

Here’s my Final 4 breakdown.

The Gamecocks benefitted from being in South Carolina for the opening rounds and NYC for the last 2 rounds.
    Arizona is a long way away from South Carolina, most of their fans who could travel or go to games already spent the money.
    The furthest SC has travelled this year is Memphis, a game they lost by 16 points. Typical SEC team that never travels west.

I could see Gonzaga blow them out by 25, easy. SC has big guards but they’ll put Mathews on Thornwall and he’s big enough to handle him.
    Dozier and Notice are their only other threats, between NWG and Perkins they will be neutralized.
    Karnowski will destroy Silva. Dude, Gonzaga is big. South Carolina is bad on the boards, ranked #139, Gonzaga is #7.
    If SC can hold Gonzaga to 27% shooting from deep and 41% overall like they did vs Florida then they have a good chance. I don’t see it. Advantage GONZAGA

Now as for Oregon and UNC, the location won’t matter, this one’s about matchups.
    I think losing Boucher was big specifically for this game. Kansas matched up good for Oregon and they were able to run with them.
    But Kansas was beat by athleticism. Oregon athletes are off the charts…but so are the Tarheels. This game will be very fun to watch. Expect 84-80 final score. I see UNC winning just because they’ll be able to go 1 athlete deeper…what did I say about Boucher?

Jackson, Berry II, Meeks, Hicks vs Brooks, Dorsey, Bell and Ennis

Jackson 6’8” JR F – Brooks 6’7” JR
    Berry II 6’0” JR G – Ennis 6’2” SR
    Meeks 6’10” SR F – Bell 6’9” JR
    Hicks 6’9” SR F – Dorsey 6’4” SO (this would’ve been Boucher 6’10” SR)

They’ll have to bring in Sorkin (8mpg guy) to guard Hicks….Isaiah would destroy him. Or move Brooks to guard Hicks but that leaves Dorsey on Jackson who would destroy him. Everything points to North Carolina, that is if UNC can still hit from outside. Jackson and Berry average 14 attempts from deep a game at 38.5% but Oregon is 21st in three point defense at 31.1%. Should make for a great game and it will come down to coaching. Altman is a good coach but lacks the experience, especially going up against Roy Williams. Advantage UNC.

That gets us to Gonzaga vs North Carolina. Seriously, which is the lesser of the evils?
    If Gonzaga wins all you’ll hear is BYU fans ranting about how they should be the champs since they’re the only team to beat them.
    If UNC wins all you’ll hear is the ACC dominance once again, even though they’ve had a sub-par tournament.

LOL

Arizona Basketball just tweeted out that effective today, Sean Miller will no longer have an active Twitter account

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    LOL

Arizona Basketball just tweeted out that effective today, Sean Miller will no longer have an active Twitter account

What prmpted that?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What prmpted that?
    Probably just tired of seeing stuff like this:

Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-27-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    LOL

If Arizona wants to give up Sean Miller we'd be happy to take him at Georgetown. Since he put Xavier on the map, that would be a nice fit. Arizona is an unremarkable little backwater that is lucky to be relevant since Lute left, and any rational person would expect them to decline substantially with another coaching change. Really, who does Arizona think it is. Before Lute, Arizona was nothing--nothing is not an exaggeration--and there's nothing about Tuscon or the U of A that is naturally attractive to prodigies of basketball, the most urban of our team sports. But rational is too much to expect of rabid fans, who, after all, have only found a substitute for religion. Fans are by and large ignorant.

This was the team that Miller inherited, sinking to its natural place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E...asketball_team
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 03-27-2017 at 01:16 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    If Arizona wants to give up Sean Miller we'd be happy to take him at Georgetown. Since he put Xavier on the map, that would be a nice fit. Arizona is an unremarkable little backwater that is lucky to be relevant since Lute left, and any rational person would expect them to decline substantially with another coaching change. Really, who does Arizona think it is. Before Lute, Arizona was nothing--nothing is not an exaggeration--and there's nothing about Tuscon or the U of A that is naturally attractive to prodigies of basketball, the most urban of our team sports. But rational is too much to expect of rabid fans, who, after all, have only found a substitute for religion. Fans are by and large ignorant.

Arizona returning to a backwater would be the best of all possible worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Arizona returning to a backwater would be the best of all possible worlds.
    Odds say that's where they're headed after Miller. Universal constants say that's where they belong. They hit the jackpot twice in a row. Not likely that it will happen three times in a row. Look at Arizona State. That's reality, and UA has less going for it than ASU. Tucson/UA is a dump. Albuquerque is nicer by far. Arizona fans are the most ignorant, myopic, falsely prideful on the planet. They make BYU fans seem like salt of the earth. Miller needs to go to Georgetown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

Speaking of the Hoyas, what are your thoughts on the JT3 firing? I heard on the radio out there that it's worthless to speculate on a replacement until Big John speaks on the matter. Haven't heard too many names for the job, but one name I've heard is Tommy Ammaker over at Harvard. That would be a fairly interesting hire.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.