Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: March Madness 2017

March Madness 2017

Just something to get you ready.

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Utes made $22k per year ($265k/12) for the next 5 years with USC winning last night

Just another reason to live vicariously through the Ducks, Cats, Bruins and Trojans over the next few days (if you can stomach it).

I picked all 12's over 5's this year.

Because...well, why not.

The perfect anti-bracket.

Bracket McBrackettface

Thousands of perfect entries still remain in the Yahoo Sports Tourney Pick’Em contest after a first day that saw 14 of the 16 games won by the lower seed.

But only one entry stands alone as being uniquely terrible.

Of all the entries that picked results for all 63 games, only one bracket went 0-for-16 on Thursday. That would be “Bracket McBracketface,” a user who adopted a bold and chaotic strategy that included picking all four No. 16 seeds to win their first-round games.

Just watched the Wisconsin/Nova and Gonzaga/NW games today. I am envious of those programs -- even of North Dakota. Athleticism. BB IQ. Terrifically played games. Will be really interesting to see what Collins does with Northwestern going forward.
    Last edited by justaute; 03-18-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Worst tournament ever?

1. No Utah
    2. No memorable upsets
    3. No game-winning buzzer beaters
    4. No overtime games
    5. Multiple games marred by horrible late calls
    6. Only one true upset in the first round (Middle Tennessee State)
    7. Closest thing to a Cinderella (Xavier) was a 2-seed just a year ago
    8. Duke gone early
    9. UNC, Gonzaga, and Oregon survive games they could/should have lost
    10. Oregon, UCLA, and Zona all in the sweet 16

Starting with the championship game last year, sports has given us its best year of drama ever. I think we are now in for a year of famine.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Worst tournament ever?

1. No Utah
    2. No memorable upsets
    3. No game-winning buzzer beaters
    4. No overtime games
    5. Multiple games marred by horrible late calls
    6. Only one true upset in the first round (Middle Tennessee State)
    7. Closest thing to a Cinderella (Xavier) was a 2-seed just a year ago
    8. Duke gone early
    9. UNC, Gonzaga, and Oregon survive games they could/should have lost
    10. Oregon, UCLA, and Zona all in the sweet 16

Starting with the championship game last year, sports has given us its best year of drama ever. I think we are now in for a year of famine.

On the other hand, there is nothing that restores your faith in mankind quite like Duke going out early.

BTW, on Dan Patrick this am they were saying that Duke's Achilles heel all year has been its guard play. I haven't watch Duke much, but last night Frank Jackson seemed pretty good, but nothing like the other freshman guards who are going in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    BTW, on Dan Patrick this am they were saying that Duke's Achilles heel all year has been its guard play. I haven't watch Duke much, but last night Frank Jackson seemed pretty good, but nothing like the other freshman guards who are going in the draft.
    I have watched Duke all season. Frank has been terrific. The only other freshman guards I've seen are Ball and Fultz, and they are both better of course. Frank can shoot and can finish at the rim. He's had to play PG all season, and that may not be his natural position.

After Villanova, Louisville, and Duke, how many of your Final Fours do you have left?

Me: THEM, Arizona, and Kansas.

I have watched Duke all season. Frank has been terrific. The only other freshman guards I've seen are Ball and Fultz, and they are both better of course. Frank can shoot and can finish at the rim. He's had to play PG all season, and that may not be his natural position.

Malik Monk is better too, as are De'aaron Fox and Dennis Smith. I would bet he is too short to play shooting guard these days; will have to play the point as a pro

Chad Ford was on some local show the other day. He said Frank's problem is that he is a SG in a PG's body. He thinks Jackson should go back to Duke for another year, play PG full time and that could really improve his draft status if he can show he can lead a team.

As far as Kuzma goes, he said that it wouldn't help Kuzma to come back to Utah at all. He is a second round player, this year or next. He said that he'd enter the draft, see what he is told and then decide if what he hears is to his liking or if he'd rather play college ball another year.

Malik Monk is better too, as are De'aaron Fox and Dennis Smith. I would bet he is too short to play shooting guard these days; will have to play the point as a pro
    Oh, yeah. I was just referencing the guys I've seen play a lot. I haven't seen much of Monk and Fox. I haven't seen Smith at all.

I'm sure you are right. Probably good for him to learn the PG position at Duke.

Here we go!

Tonight's games:

Michigan vs Oregon. Hail to the victors. What's bad for Oregon is good for Utah. Plus, who doesn't want to see Brooks' sad face tonight?

WVU vs Gonzaga. Go Huggy. Again, what's bad for Gonzaga is good for Utah. Plus, I am sick of Gonzaga blowing it every year against BYU.

Purdue vs Kansas. Biggie. Purdue Pete. Go 'makers.

Xavier vs Arizona. I question the heart of any Ute fan who can root for Arizona. X-men make lousy movies and good basketball.

Here we go!

Tonight's games:

Michigan vs Oregon. Hail to the victors. What's bad for Oregon is good for Utah. Plus, who doesn't want to see Brooks' sad face tonight?

WVU vs Gonzaga. Go Huggy. Again, what's bad for Gonzaga is good for Utah. Plus, I am sick of Gonzaga blowing it every year against BYU.

Purdue vs Kansas. Biggie. Purdue Pete. Go 'makers.

Xavier vs Arizona. I question the heart of any Ute fan who can root for Arizona. X-men make lousy movies and good basketball.
    I root for all Pac 12 teams in the postseason. I question the sanity of any Ute fan who doesn't. We want the other teams in our league to be good. We get better recurits, better coaches, better everything if we are in a league that is successful in the postseason. Plus I get to know and like players on the other teams. After watching Arizona play five times in just over a week, I've come to respect their coach and root for their players. I want to kick their butts every time we play them, but if they can make it to the Final Four, it helps us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post
    I root for all Pac 12 teams in the postseason. I question the sanity of any Ute fan who doesn't. We want the other teams in our league to be good. We get better recurits, better coaches, better everything if we are in a league that is successful in the postseason. Plus I get to know and like players on the other teams. After watching Arizona play five times in just over a week, I've come to respect their coach and root for their players. I want to kick their butts every time we play them, but if they can make it to the Final Four, it helps us.
    This is not true. Arizona getting to the final four helps Arizona a lot. It only hurts Utah. Conference play and recruiting is closer to a zero sum game than a cooperative effort.

You think the rest of the ACC is pulling for unc?

oh man, the officiating in this tournament has been soooo bad

So, Arizona vs Gonzaga. One coach gets to shed his "can't get to the final four" image.

So, Arizona vs Gonzaga. One coach gets to shed his "can't get to the final four" image.
    Does Gonzaga look like a ff team? If WVU could have shot even 30% it would have won.

Does Gonzaga look like a ff team? If WVU could have shot even 30% it would have won.
    What matters is that they are still alive, but they have not looked good yet in this tournament. Loved that FT airball.

If there are going to be 60 fouls called in a game, WVU is not going to win. Pressing teams need a bit of leeway.

Meanwhile, Oregon once again lets a lesser team hang but still pulls it out.

oh man, the officiating in this tournament has been soooo bad
    Officiating at every level has made basketball nearly unwatchable. The style of play plus the officiating in the pros doesn't even resemble basketball anymore. The college game will be the next one to go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Officiating at every level has made basketball nearly unwatchable. The style of play plus the officiating in the pros doesn't even resemble basketball anymore. The college game will be the next one to go for me.
    It's a tragic, serious flaw with the sport. No sport is perfect, though. I'll take the bad with the good. I wish this tournament would give us some of the good.

It's a tragic, serious flaw with the sport. No sport is perfect, though. I'll take the bad with the good. I wish this tournament would give us some of the good.
    "This game is impossible to officiate."

-- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Check that. Oops

Pretty sweet for Xavier. And gonzaga.
    Last edited by sancho; 03-23-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Miller getting brutalized on twitter for misusing Markenen all game and esp. Down the stretch. All least he got to go against better players in practice than if he had come here. So there is that.

Miller getting brutalized on twitter for misusing Markenen all game and esp. Down the stretch. All least he got to go against better players in practice than if he had come here. So there is that.
    Hee hee. The first good result of this dang tournament.

I'm sure those workouts against Ristic and Commanche will have him ready to guard Anthony Davis next year.

no doubt Miller collapses in big games. Considering they are getting a top 5 recruiting class every year you would think at least a couple of those would result in a final four. I predict if UA doesn't get it done next year Miller is gone. He might have been let go this year, but they just hired a new AD a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    no doubt Miller collapses in big games. Considering they are getting a top 5 recruiting class every year you would think at least a couple of those would result in a final four. I predict if UA doesn't get it done next year Miller is gone. He might have been let go this year, but they just hired a new AD a month ago.
    Did Miller misuse Markkanen or did Markkanen just disappear?

Had he come to Utah, I'm not sure our guards/wings can get him the ball.
    Last edited by justaute; 03-24-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I predict if UA doesn't get it done next year Miller is gone. He might have been let go this year, but they just hired a new AD a month ago.
    You are more in tune with that can base than I am, but that sounds crazy.

I'm with you Sancho. I can't believe they'll let Miller go - four Sweet 16s out of the last five. No question last night was a huge collapse. I couldn't believe Trier was allowed to dribble away clock and then just jack a shot on three of their last four possessions. Markannen did not touch the ball on any of them - even out of the timeout when they went to Krstic. Horrible coaching or seemingly no coaching down the stretch.