Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: March Madness 2017

Much like a BYU football season, my March Madness bracket started out with so much hope only to end in a, well, like a BYU football season.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You are more in tune with that can base than I am, but that sounds crazy.
    Arizona fans expectations are out of whack. They believe their program should be the equivalent of a Kansas, Duke, UNC when in actuality they more closely mirror programs like Gonzaga, Wichita St, Xavier.

Miller is wearing thin with Wildcat fans, he's been good but not great. He is Bronco Mendenhallesque.

Some will disagree, but I think Utah fans have had to come to terms with reality and ratchet down expectations after the Majerus years, at least I have (just my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I'm with you Sancho. I can't believe they'll let Miller go - four Sweet 16s out of the last five. No question last night was a huge collapse. I couldn't believe Trier was allowed to dribble away clock and then just jack a shot on three of their last four possessions. Markannen did not touch the ball on any of them - even out of the timeout when they went to Krstic. Horrible coaching or seemingly no coaching down the stretch.
    Thisis
    This is what I haven't gotten out of Arizona all year long. Krstic is their first option on offense. Markannen is clearly the better player, yet, they focus on Krstic.

This is not true. Arizona getting to the final four helps Arizona a lot. It only hurts Utah. Conference play and recruiting is closer to a zero sum game than a cooperative effort.

You think the rest of the ACC is pulling for unc?
    By that logic, we would be better off in the MWC or the WCC playing crap teams. We are far better off in a highly competitive and successful league. Yes Arizona has beat us for a couple of players the last two years, but do you think we would have had a better shot at them if we were still a mid major? But you be you, man. You want to hate on our Pac bros, go right ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Much like a BYU football season, my March Madness bracket started out with so much hope only to end in a, well, like a BYU football season.
    I
    I was in the 99% until Arizona lost...boohoo for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I
    I was in the 99% until Arizona lost...boohoo for me.
    Me too. Another reason to hate Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Me too. Another reason to hate Arizona
    Yes!
    I love it. My hatred has grown....

sith-lord-goodgood-let-the-hate-flow-through-you.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Horrible coaching or seemingly no coaching down the stretch.
    We learn over and over again that college basketball players - even good ones with good coaches - are not yet good at end-game decision making. We often complain about this with Larry, but it's not just Larry; it's everyone. Except Dillon Brooks.

this surprises me. I thought no way.

Dan Patrick ShowVerified account @dpshow 14m14 minutes agoMore

Doug Gottlieb says Steve Alford to Indiana is a done deal http://danpatrick.com

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    This has to be a joke, right? Talk about a bad move in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

Dan Patrick ShowVerified account @dpshow 14m14 minutes agoMore

Doug Gottlieb says Steve Alford to Indiana is a done deal http://danpatrick.com

I am with you, I think UCLA is the better job. I suspect IU will have to overpay.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I am with you, I think UCLA is the better job. I suspect IU will have to overpay.
    How many heroes have gone home and had success?

it seems like a sure-fire way to ruin his Hoosier legacy.

...and tonight:

Butler vs UNC. Not feeling very confidant here.
    USC vs Baylor. Go gamecocks. They will probably revert to their 40 ppg ways now that they have eliminated Duke.
    UCLA vs Kentucky. Ugh. Man, I will pull for UCLA, but I won't love doing it.
    Wisconsin vs Florida. I can't think of a good reason to care about this game.

...and tonight:

Butler vs UNC. Not feeling very confidant here.
    USC vs Baylor. Go gamecocks. They will probably revert to their 40 ppg ways now that they have eliminated Duke.
    UCLA vs Kentucky. Ugh. Man, I will pull for UCLA, but I won't love doing it.
    Wisconsin vs Florida. I can't think of a good reason to care about this game.
    I felt the same way for a while but I'm glad I stuck with it. Wow. SEC with three teams in the Elite Eight.

Every year this tournament is a running repudiation of LAUte's refrain that the NBA has ruined college basketball. College basketball has never been better.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I felt the same way for a while but I'm glad I stuck with it. Wow. SEC with three teams in the Elite Eight.
    That game saved the tournament. Amazing.

Without those buzzer beaters and the block, there would be no footage for One Shining Moment.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    SEC with three teams in the Elite Eight.
    Auburn is about to grab some 5 star recruits now. This night will be remembered in Starkville forever as the turning point in Mississippi State basketball.

Oregon and gonzaga. Proving that it's not about 1 and dones. It's about transfers.

Oregon and gonzaga. Proving that it's not about 1 and dones. It's about transfers.
    But williams-goss missed a golden opportunity to be an NBA second round pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    But williams-goss missed a golden opportunity to be an NBA second round pick.

So Kuzma should transfer somewhere where he can get to the final four, like Gonzaga, I guess.

South Carolina vs North Carolina would be a great national title game...if the gamecocks win.

Utah went through two 1 seeds to reach the title game in 1998. Gonzaga would go through a whole bunch of nothing. Is it too much to ask that they play at least one great team on their way to a championship?

The zags are so deep, and there's no weak link. South Carolina will have the best player on the floor, but Gonzaga will have the next 5-6 best.

I enjoyed watching Kentucky lose.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I enjoyed watching Kentucky lose.
    especially on a last minute basket.

South Carolina vs North Carolina would be a great national title game...if the gamecocks win.

Utah went through two 1 seeds to reach the title game in 1998. Gonzaga would go through a whole bunch of nothing. Is it too much to ask that they play at least one great team on their way to a championship?

The zags are so deep, and there's no weak link. South Carolina will have the best player on the floor, but Gonzaga will have the next 5-6 best.
    Uh, if you're a number 1 seed it's impossible you'll have to beat two number 1 seeds to get to the national title game.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Uh, if you're a number 1 seed it's impossible you'll have to beat two number 1 seeds to get to the national title game.
    Sure is, but it's definitely possible to have a tougher road than west virginia, xavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    especially on a last minute basket.
    That's two game winning buzzer beaters in two days. It's almost like a real March madness.

Here’s my Final 4 breakdown.

The Gamecocks benefitted from being in South Carolina for the opening rounds and NYC for the last 2 rounds.
    Arizona is a long way away from South Carolina, most of their fans who could travel or go to games already spent the money.
    The furthest SC has travelled this year is Memphis, a game they lost by 16 points. Typical SEC team that never travels west.

I could see Gonzaga blow them out by 25, easy. SC has big guards but they’ll put Mathews on Thornwall and he’s big enough to handle him.
    Dozier and Notice are their only other threats, between NWG and Perkins they will be neutralized.
    Karnowski will destroy Silva. Dude, Gonzaga is big. South Carolina is bad on the boards, ranked #139, Gonzaga is #7.
    If SC can hold Gonzaga to 27% shooting from deep and 41% overall like they did vs Florida then they have a good chance. I don’t see it. Advantage GONZAGA

Now as for Oregon and UNC, the location won’t matter, this one’s about matchups.
    I think losing Boucher was big specifically for this game. Kansas matched up good for Oregon and they were able to run with them.
    But Kansas was beat by athleticism. Oregon athletes are off the charts…but so are the Tarheels. This game will be very fun to watch. Expect 84-80 final score. I see UNC winning just because they’ll be able to go 1 athlete deeper…what did I say about Boucher?

Jackson, Berry II, Meeks, Hicks vs Brooks, Dorsey, Bell and Ennis

Jackson 6’8” JR F – Brooks 6’7” JR
    Berry II 6’0” JR G – Ennis 6’2” SR
    Meeks 6’10” SR F – Bell 6’9” JR
    Hicks 6’9” SR F – Dorsey 6’4” SO (this would’ve been Boucher 6’10” SR)

They’ll have to bring in Sorkin (8mpg guy) to guard Hicks….Isaiah would destroy him. Or move Brooks to guard Hicks but that leaves Dorsey on Jackson who would destroy him. Everything points to North Carolina, that is if UNC can still hit from outside. Jackson and Berry average 14 attempts from deep a game at 38.5% but Oregon is 21st in three point defense at 31.1%. Should make for a great game and it will come down to coaching. Altman is a good coach but lacks the experience, especially going up against Roy Williams. Advantage UNC.

That gets us to Gonzaga vs North Carolina. Seriously, which is the lesser of the evils?
    If Gonzaga wins all you’ll hear is BYU fans ranting about how they should be the champs since they’re the only team to beat them.
    If UNC wins all you’ll hear is the ACC dominance once again, even though they’ve had a sub-par tournament.

LOL

Arizona Basketball just tweeted out that effective today, Sean Miller will no longer have an active Twitter account

LOL

Arizona Basketball just tweeted out that effective today, Sean Miller will no longer have an active Twitter account

What prmpted that?

LOL

If Arizona wants to give up Sean Miller we'd be happy to take him at Georgetown. Since he put Xavier on the map, that would be a nice fit. Arizona is an unremarkable little backwater that is lucky to be relevant since Lute left, and any rational person would expect them to decline substantially with another coaching change. Really, who does Arizona think it is. Before Lute, Arizona was nothing--nothing is not an exaggeration--and there's nothing about Tuscon or the U of A that is naturally attractive to prodigies of basketball, the most urban of our team sports. But rational is too much to expect of rabid fans, who, after all, have only found a substitute for religion. Fans are by and large ignorant.

This was the team that Miller inherited, sinking to its natural place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E...asketball_team
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 03-27-2017 at 01:16 PM.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo