Thread: YouTube music thread

YouTube music thread

Music found on YouTube.

Fans of Led Zepplin and Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden) will like this one.

Linkin Park's new song (I like it) .... they haven't head anything good for a while

warning 1 f-bomb

Happy Birthday, Bob!

How many of you followed this duo back in the day?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

How old are you?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    How old are you?
    Before my time, BUT, some of my earliest memories of music date back to some of Paul Simon's individual hits in the earlier 70s (who can forget Kodachrome?). Then of course, Simon and Garfunkel played in Central Park in the 80's. That tape was a huge seller at the time. Last, Simon's Graceland Album (which came out in 86) is a freaking masterpiece.

Paul Simon is an absolute genius. Anybody who argues otherwise just doesn't know music.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    How old are you?
    I'm 62, just barely approaching middle age. I am actually a bit young for Simon and Garfunkel. They were huge when I was in the 7th and 8th grades. But I appreciate great musicians and great songs from whatever era.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    Not as old as you are...

Banned
    So... This is one of the best damn tribute songs I've ever heard.

Growing up, my parents had two artists in their collection of vinyls. Neil Diamond and Simon and Garfunkel. I'm sure it was mostly related to the song about the zoo, but I would play Bookends over and over. To date, America is one f my all time favorite songs. A song for wanderers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Growing up, my parents had two artists in their collection of vinyls. Neil Diamond and Simon and Garfunkel. I'm sure it was mostly related to the song about the zoo, but I would play Bookends over and over. To date, America is one f my all time favorite songs. A song for wanderers.
    Your parents have good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Your parents have good taste.
    I worked in WA for a summer, and one of my co-workers there was the biggest Paul Simon fan ever. He had hundreds of bootleg recordings of Simon concerts. He went to three different Simon concerts that Summer (Simon was touring with Bob Dylan that Summer), and he recorded them all. The recordings sounded awful to me, but he loved them.

I used to tease him by saying that Paul Simon found his lyrics in Bob Dylan's garbage.

Don't know if this is the right crowd for this, but since we are in a Simon and Garfunkle great songwriter mood... Elliott Smith:

Last one

His last concert before he died was actually at the U for what was formerly Mayfest.

YouTube music thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Don't know if this is the right crowd for this, but since we are in a Simon and Garfunkle great songwriter mood... Elliott Smith:

I attended his last concerts.

EDIT: I've now scrolled down and saw you pointed that out.

YouTube music thread

A more modern duo that reminds me a lot of Simon and Garfunkel is Kings of Convenience. Here's a taste.

https://youtu.be/c-ppARtcQfo

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 05-27-2017 at 11:58 AM.

This Paul Simon piece popped up on my Facebook feed this morning.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-sh...bill-frisell-/

sad news, apparently Chester Bennington (lead man for Linkin Park) took his life today.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    sad news, apparently Chester Bennington (lead man for Linkin Park) took his life today.
    The lyrics to his last song, Heavy, sadly gave a stark view into his frame of mind. The song was written for him by Julia Michaels (who wrote/sang the recent song Issues) and really seems to capture the battle in his head.

I hope you found your peace, Chester.

https://youtu.be/5dmQ3QWpy1Q

Sad. I really liked their music.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I attended his last concerts.

EDIT: I've now scrolled down and saw you pointed that out.

I'm not a fan of Elliot Smith's music but I have to respect the way he committed suicide...by stabbing himself in the heart with a huge knife. That takes guts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Worst music ever.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    The lyrics to his last song, Heavy, sadly gave a stark view into his frame of mind. The song was written for him by Julia Michaels (who wrote/sang the recent song Issues) and really seems to capture the battle in his head.

I hope you found your peace, Chester.

https://youtu.be/5dmQ3QWpy1Q
    I couldn't name one Linkin Park song. But I just listened to that Heavy song and really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I couldn't name one Linkin Park song. But I just listened to that Heavy song and really like it.
    You've probably heard one or two along the way (especially if you watched the Transformers movies)

But the lyrics below are from a 2007 song. As soon as I heard the news about Chester it came to mind.

The song is called "Leave Out All The Rest"

When my time comes
    Forget the wrong that I've done
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed
    And don't resent me
    And when you're feeling empty
    Keep me in your memory
    Leave out all the rest
    Leave out all the rest

OK Go does it again.