Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: President Thomas S. Monson

  1. #1

    President Thomas S. Monson

    Just heard from a close friend with medical connections that Thomas Monson has passed away this afternoon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Just heard from a close friend with medical connections that Thomas Monson has passed away this afternoon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    wow

  3. #3
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    14,597
    You have great connections, Dwight. Nothing publicly announced yet, but the church PR folks must have been prepared for this.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    "Nine tenths of wisdom consists of being wise in time."
    --Theodore Roosevelt


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You have great connections, Dwight. Nothing publicly announced yet, but the church PR folks must have been prepared for this.


    Ben Winslow apparently heard the same things, posted this in the last 10 minutes.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    KSL and the DNews also stating the reports of his death are incorrect.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Yeah. I haven't seen a confirmation yet. My source is a surgeon, so I'm giving him some time before I give up him. But once I do, he's getting roasted.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    14,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Yeah. I haven't seen a confirmation yet. My source is a surgeon, so I'm giving him some time before I give up him. But once I do, he's getting roasted.
    SALT LAKE CITY — LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson continued to rest and recover in the hospital late Wednesday afternoon, despite unfounded rumors that he had died.

    Eric Hawkins, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said the church was aware of the rumors, but Hawkins confirmed at 3:20 p.m. that President Monson was alive.

    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...afternoon.html

    What you may do to your friend pales in comparison to what we will do to you. Be afraid.


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    "Nine tenths of wisdom consists of being wise in time."
    --Theodore Roosevelt


  8. #8
    When rumors like this fly, it usually means they are premature.

  9. #9
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    14,597
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    When rumors like this fly, it usually means they are premature.
    It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

    -- Yogi Berra

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    "Nine tenths of wisdom consists of being wise in time."
    --Theodore Roosevelt


  10. #10
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    14,597
    With apologies to Dwight, I revised the thread title so it's a bit more generic.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    "Nine tenths of wisdom consists of being wise in time."
    --Theodore Roosevelt


  11. #11
    Beware the HIPAA violation


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You have great connections, Dwight. Nothing publicly announced yet, but the church PR folks must have been prepared for this.
    A newscaster who lived in my aunt's ward told me that he originally wrote Pres. Hinckley's obituary 4-5 years before he died, and tweaked it over time.

    When the day finally came he was able to go on camera and report the news with a polished story that he could not have written in the few short minutes between the time the news broke and he had to announce it.

    PR and news people are we prepared for the eventuality, despite DS pushing for an earlier announcement.

  13. #13
    And he's been released from the hospital....remind me to not let DS's friend do surgery on me


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    2,683
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    A newscaster who lived in my aunt's ward told me that he originally wrote Pres. Hinckley's obituary 4-5 years before he died, and tweaked it over time.

    When the day finally came he was able to go on camera and report the news with a polished story that he could not have written in the few short minutes between the time the news broke and he had to announce it.

    PR and news people are we prepared for the eventuality, despite DS pushing for an earlier announcement.
    This is typical for all major figures, both internationally and locally. There are those who will beat the media to the punch -- I don't think news media as a whole was prepared for Prince's death at all.

  15. #15
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    14,597

    President Thomas S. Monson

    My roommate during school was a local TV news reporters in SLC. One day he came home and I asked him how his day had gone. He said it had been a slow news day so he worked on "the Kimball obit." This was a few years before President Kimball was ill. My roomie told me that he updated the video obituary regularly to keep it current and ready to go.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-17-2017 at 11:04 AM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    "Nine tenths of wisdom consists of being wise in time."
    --Theodore Roosevelt


  16. #16
    And there have been a handful of occasions when those pre-made obits have been accidentally published. Always funny...and awkward for the person who isn't dead.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    This is typical for all major figures, both internationally and locally. There are those who will beat the media to the punch -- I don't think news media as a whole was prepared for Prince's death at all.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •