Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US airstrikes in Syria

I don't have a problem with the strike. It might lead to all kinds of other problems, but the images of those kids who were gassed, and the American military response, help counter what appeared to be a rapid decline in American moral leadership, offer a glimmer of hope that America is not going to retreat from the world, altogether.

McMaster asserting influence in the WH, along with Kushner, at the expense of Bannon (and possibly Priebus) - these are really good signs.

People who are impressed - or disgusted - by the Syria airstrikes need to remember that Trump really has no ideological framework he believes in (or really, understands). He is completely different than Reagan, in that regard.

Kushner and Ivanka picking up more power, with more of a centrist political ideology, could help limit the erosion likely to occur under a Bannump presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I don't have a problem with the strike. It might lead to all kinds of other problems, but the images of those kids who were gassed, and the American military response, help counter what appeared to be a rapid decline in American moral leadership, offer a glimmer of hope that America is not going to retreat from the world, altogether.

McMaster asserting influence in the WH, along with Kushner, at the expense of Bannon (and possibly Priebus) - these are really good signs.

People who are impressed - or disgusted - by the Syria airstrikes need to remember that Trump really has no ideological framework he believes in (or really, understands). He is completely different than Reagan, in that regard.

Kushner and Ivanka picking up more power, with more of a centrist political ideology, could help limit the erosion likely to occur under a Bannump presidency.
    I'm actually encouraged by Bannon's demotion. He had no business being on the NSC. He also doesn't know how to negotiate, the one thing I'm sure Trump does understand. If Bannon's star is sinking, even a little bit, that's a good sign.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    Damn... Watch this. The biased CNN anchor tried to derail this guy and she even featured Hillary... and still...

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Damn... Watch this. The biased CNN anchor tried to derail this guy and she even featured Hillary... and still...

Yeah I agree it seems pretty lame to try and turn this into an attack on his Muslim ban with a guy who has nothing to do with it. Regardless of speculations about motivation, or actual damage done etc, I am guessing we won't be seeing any chemical weapons being used again in Syria and no matter your viewpoint that is a very very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Yeah I agree it seems pretty lame to try and turn this into an attack on his Muslim ban with a guy who has nothing to do with it. Regardless of speculations about motivation, or actual damage done etc, I am guessing we won't be seeing any chemical weapons being used again in Syria and no matter your viewpoint that is a very very good thing.
    I was just thinking about this and it occurred to me that if we had wanted to obliterate that entire airfield, we could have done so. So there was some restraint and strategic thought that went into this. I hope Trump is listening to McMaster. It looks like he is.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was just thinking about this and it occurred to me that if we had wanted to obliterate that entire airfield, we could have done so. So there was some restraint and strategic thought that went into this. I hope Trump is listening to McMaster. It looks like he is.
    Of course he is listening to McMaster, and to Mattis and Dunford. You sound like you are are genuinely surprised. You might not be as intelligent or as correct in your assessments of Trump as you believe you are.

Of course he is listening to McMaster, and to Mattis and Dunford. You sound like you are are genuinely surprised. You might not be as intelligent or as correct in your assessments of Trump as you believe you are.
    When has Trump demonstrated he listens to anyone? That's kind of his calling card isn't it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    When has Trump demonstrated he listens to anyone? That's kind of his calling card isn't it?
    You are as guilty of seeing only what you want to as I am. However, I for one am glad that he has surrounded himself with experienced and intelligent warrior advisers. Obama never would have had the stones... dude was weak through and through.

http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017...=militarymemes
    Last edited by Devildog; 04-08-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Hey, take a compliment for your guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Banned
    Hey, take a compliment for your guy.
    We don't need your faint praise. You're lucky you are wrong so much.

Actually, it was the sainted Arlen Spector who simply noted the timing of that attack. Besides, it is nearly impossible to slander a sitting POTUS.
    You're right, my memory is wrong.

"It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so"
    - Will Rogers

"Cyberspace is - or can be - a good, friendly and egalitarian place to meet. "

- Douglas Adams

"Here is your narrative in the New York Times before Thursday night:

C.I.A. Had Evidence of Russian Effort to Help Trump Earlier Than Believed

Here is your narrative in the New York Times after:

Syria Strike Puts U.S. Relationship With Russia at Risk"

http://donsurber.blogspot.com/2017/0...l?spref=tw&m=1

--Yeats

"Here is your narrative in the New York Times before Thursday night:

C.I.A. Had Evidence of Russian Effort to Help Trump Earlier Than Believed

Here is your narrative in the New York Times after:

Syria Strike Puts U.S. Relationship With Russia at Risk"

http://donsurber.blogspot.com/2017/0...l?spref=tw&m=1
    I dislike Trump for a variety of reasons, but seriously. If this is the path we are walking, then are we also to believe that the Russians goaded Assad into using chemical weapons, so that Trump could more justifiably launch a missile strike? What is real versus fake news? It's hard to tell, especially when 'supposed' legitimate news sources act no differently than truthers:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7672256.html

Chris Mathews is becoming the liberal Alex Jones. What a moron.
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-08-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I dislike Trump for a variety of reasons, but seriously. If this is the path we are walking, then are we also to believe that the Russians goaded Assad into using chemical weapons, so that Trump could more justifiably launch a missile strike? What is real versus fake news? It's hard to tell, especially when 'supposed' legitimate news sources act no differently than truthers:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7672256.html

Chris Mathews is becoming the liberal Alex Jones. What a moron.
    Jesus Christ... conspiracy much? Damn.. goof.

This is one of the things that concerns me about Trump. A week ago tillerson and haley said removing assad was not a priority. Yesterday and today Haley said it is. Is that a strategy change from Trump or an impulsive reaction. What happens the next time babies die, and the time after that and after that? Our response last week surely will trigger more provocation this week.
    Do we do anything to effect regime change and what do we change it to? Is there or will there be a strategy?

Banned