Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kyle Kuzma Thread

The Kyle Kuzma Thread

DraftExpress updated their mock draft for the first time in two weeks yesterday. They have Kuzma going 55th to the Celtics. I am on record as saying that I think he will ultimately keep his name in. Here is an option that hasn't gotten much talk.........he could be a lifelong draft and stash.

Two years ago, the Jazz took Olivier Hanlan from BC in the middle of the second round. After summer league, it was obvious he wasn't going to make the team (he was, coincidentally, a guy who had left after his junior year). The Jazz maintained his rights and he went off to Europe to play. Fast forward to 2016. The spurs are looking to dump Boris Diaw's salary and the Jazz use Hanlan as a trade piece. I dont think anyone plans on him joining the league anytime soon, but draft and stash guys can be a trade chip for teams looking to do a salary dump. Might be an option for Kuzma.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    DraftExpress updated their mock draft for the first time in two weeks yesterday. They have Kuzma going 55th to the Celtics. I am on record as saying that I think he will ultimately keep his name in. Here is an option that hasn't gotten much talk.........he could be a lifelong draft and stash.

Two years ago, the Jazz took Olivier Hanlan from BC in the middle of the second round. After summer league, it was obvious he wasn't going to make the team (he was, coincidentally, a guy who had left after his junior year). The Jazz maintained his rights and he went off to Europe to play. Fast forward to 2016. The spurs are looking to dump Boris Diaw's salary and the Jazz use Hanlan as a trade piece. I dont think anyone plans on him joining the league anytime soon, but draft and stash guys can be a trade chip for teams looking to do a salary dump. Might be an option for Kuzma.
    Probably still sounds better than another year of college listening to your coach complain about the lack of leadership of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuzma got his combine invite today. Not a go d sign for those hoping he's back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Kuzma got his combine invite today. Not a go d sign for those hoping he's back next year.

For the sake of everyone involved lets hope he makes his decision quickly.

Invites to the combine come straight from the league's GMs, so to get one means he is very much on the radar. I think only 70 or so invites go out, and that's total.

Did Eric mika get one? Haven't seen it reported so maybe he didn't

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Did Eric mika get one? Haven't seen it reported so maybe he didn't
    They are rolled out over the next couple days. So he still might.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    They are rolled out over the next couple days. So he still might.
    Apparently he just got one.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Apparently he just got one.
    Good, let's hope he impresses.

If Kuzma bolts we are in some trouble......if Mike bolts......they are BAD.

Kuzma just announced he is hiring an agent and staying in.

I wish him well. He has worked his tail off and become a significantly better player each and every year. I dont know what his draft prospects are, but I do hope he sees success.

Not a surprise at all, but it is a bummer.

Next season looks rough right now. We need 1-2 of the returning players to make a Kuzma sized leap, and we need at least one of the newcomers to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Not a surprise at all, but it is a bummer.

Next season looks rough right now. We need 1-2 of the returning players to make a Kuzma sized leap, and we need at least one of the newcomers to be good.
    Which I think means Larry needs to bring in at least one more eligible for next year. Which might need to be his biggest miracle yet.

Larry put out a very nice statement, which was the right thing to do. I agree with what has been said, he's gotta pull a rabbit out of his hat and get someone in here for this season...maybe another graduate transfer?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

With Kuzma gone, we can look at the roster. I know positions are fluid, but it works out well to group them by position anyway:

1) PG (Barefield, Bibbins). The great hope here is that Barefield makes a giant leap. It's a reasonable hope because he has shown flashes. We haven't seen Bibbins, but it also seems reasonable to hope that he is at least a good option coming off the bench.

2) SG (PVD, Popoola). The great hope here is that PVD can become a 40% shooter from outside. The secondary hope is that Popoola's athleticism allows him to defend right off the bat.

3) SF (Bealer, Seeley). Ouch. Just hope that Seeley is good. Bealer was playing alright at the end of the season, but I don't think he's a starter on a tournament team.

4) PF (Tillman, Rawson). So much of the hope for the season rests on an unknown with Tillman. If he can rebound and defend and stay on the floor, we won't need Rawson too much.

5) C (Collette, Johnson, Jokl). This is the only position that we know right now is Pac-12 worthy. At the other positions, we have hope. If Johnson can jump up to the next level, I suspect we will see both Collette and Johnson on the floor at the same time.

I think this is another season where we are hoping to overachieve and end up 4th or 5th in the conference. We seem to have stalled out instead of continuing our upward climb in the Pac-12. We will either start climbing again, or we will start slipping.

Has Daniels enrolled anywhere?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Has Daniels enrolled anywhere?
    I believe he was set to visit UCONN, but I don't believe he has announced if that is his final destination.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Utah transfer Devon Daniels told ESPN he will visit NC State on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Utah transfer Devon Daniels told ESPN he will visit NC State on Monday.
    We should ask him to come back. Why is he good enough for UConn and NC State but not Utah?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

We should ask him to come back. Why is he good enough for UConn and NC State but not Utah?
    You really don't care about character etc do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You really don't care about character etc do you?

You assume that NC State and UConn and whoever else is recruiting Daniels don't care? It's easy to assume it's all the 18 year old black kid's fault. Sorry. I'm not going to just accept that. What we've learned from Utah's best coaches is that character proceeds from the coach. All we've heard about Daniels is innuendo leaked from the basketball office. I'm not going to take it at face value. Daniels has had the character at least to keep completely silent about his side of the story.
    I'm more concerned about what this says about the program's, that is, the coaches' character.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

You assume that NC State and UConn and whoever else is recruiting Daniels don't care? It's easy to assume it's all the 18 year old black kid's fault. Sorry. I'm not going to just accept that. What we've learned from Utah's best coaches is that character proceeds from the coach. All we've heard about Daniels is innuendo leaked from the basketball office. I'm not going to take it at face value. Daniels has had the character at least to keep completely silent about his side of the story.
    I'm more concerned about what this says about the program's, that is, the coaches' character.

And from where I sit Daniels is staying quiet because he has nothing to add that adds value to him.

He knows he screwed up, and I think he knows he needed a fresh start. He's talented, but reality is he burned all his other bridges.

You may be right but there is not not a scintilla of evidence supporting your view. There is, however, evidence supporting the view that DD was a serious problem for the team. What I do fault LK for is not detecting the problem during recruiting. Krysko probably beats himself up for that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You may be right but there is not not a scintilla of evidence supporting your view. There is, however, evidence supporting the view that DD was a serious problem for the team. What I do fault LK for is not detecting the problem during recruiting. Krysko probably beats himself up for that.
    Larry knew. All coaches know. Let's not kid ourselves here -- Larry took a chance, and we want our coaches to take chances on talented kids.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Larry knew. All coaches know. Let's not kid ourselves here -- Larry took a chance, and we want our coaches to take chances on talented kids.
    Well put. Utah has to do that. Maybe not UCLA, but Utah does.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Apparently UConn and NC State do too.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Apparently UConn and NC State do too.
    True.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    That's a better way to say it. My point was that Larry could be faulted for offering Daniels. To be more precise, you're saying he made a bad bet. That, he can be faulted for.

Self-hating Utah fan.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That's a better way to say it. My point was that Larry could be faulted for offering Daniels. To be more precise, you're saying he made a bad bet. That, he can be faulted for.
    That's results-based thinking, which many of you know I abhor. If you're gonna use a gambling comparison, please remember that even in gambling, you can make all the right decisions and still lose. I'll never fault Larry for bringing in a kid like Daniels -- it's the Tim Colemans and JoJo Zamoras that his feet should be held to the fire.