Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Football Scheduling Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Sure. Beating BYU is more fun than beating Indiana or Northwestern or Vanderbilt or Kansas or Purdue or Texas Tech or Kentucky, etc.
    Yes, but is losing to them less painful? We will once again lose to them. Maybe not this year, but it could be this year.

Good point. I've gotten too confident. I don't see us losing to them. It will be crushing when it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Yes, but is losing to them less painful? We will once again lose to them. Maybe not this year, but it could be this year.
    UCLA beats USC now and then. It's just a matter of odds.

What will be amusing to watch is how the next BYU win over Utah will be evidence of the restoration of Things the Way They Have Always Been, Really Are, and Should Be; the dawn of a new era, the end of Utah's undeserved dominance, etc.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    UCLA beats USC now and then. It's just a matter of odds.

What will be amusing to watch is how the next BYU win over Utah will be evidence of the restoration of Things the Way They Have Always Been, Really Are, and Should Be; the dawn of a new era, the end of Utah's undeserved dominance, etc.
    Yes and no. If it happens this year, that will certainly be the narrative because of the new coaching staff down there and their perceived (if largely imaginary) momentum. If Utah wins the next 3 against Kalani and keeps putting a good product on the field, and then Kalani wins in 2020, it will be a lot harder to make that narrative stick (although some will certainly try).

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You should know better. That narrative ain't going away until the 60+ year old guys in my high priests group have moved on to that great rivalry game in the sky.
    One must be at least 40 years old to have any memory of BYU's 1984 MNC. Anyone under age 28 will not remember the last time BYU had a really good, nationally competitive team (1996). Kind of interesting when you consider the impact on recruiting, fan support, and so forth.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Updated with new series against Houston in 2026-27...of course, we're going on the road first.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Updated with new series against Houston in 2026-27...of course, we're going on the road first.
    there's a possibility that Houston could be a P5 program by then

The Football Scheduling Thread

I assume we have BYU at home that year.

Edit: I just checked, it is not scheduled, but the BYU game would be in SLC that year.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 05-25-2018 at 07:44 AM.

I like this addition.

I suspect that the playoff has forced us to up our scheduling game a tad. We're seeking out competitive G5s, which in most years, would be better than scheduling P5 dreck.

Also, I've bitched plenty about this year's non-con, but with no Cal or Oregon State on the schedule (the only team in the South to miss both -- USC, Colorado and Arizona get to play both), I have almost no problem with this year's non-con (save for scheduling a game in DeKalb, Ill.).

Ugh. I hate when they schedule over High School Football.

http://utahutes.com/news/2018/5/31/f...announced.aspx
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Mark Harlan was stuck on the runway yesterday while techs worked on the plane he was on, so he took a few twitter questions. Chief among them were questions about OOC scheduling. In addition the Tulane AD flat out asked for a series in 28-29, and I believe it was the North Texas AD that did the same, but didn't put any dates on it. In response to the Tulane AD's request, Harlan said: "The last time this team went to New Orleans, it worked out pretty well." Anyway, thought that was interesting. He seems like he is going to be far more accessible to the fans than Chris Hill was, and he certainly seems willing to listen, which is also cool. Right now it is all lip service, but still, it's nice to see him out there interacting with fans and not just high level donors...ahem.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

This guy is living the AD dream. Instead of inheriting a mess like most new AD's, he has inherited stability and success. He has one of the 5 top-tier football coaches in the conference, and the basketball team just pulled off its best recruiting class in ages. Harlan could go 5+ years without needing to do anything hard.

'28-29? Football scheduling is completely broken.
    He'll have stadium expansion to focus on, and that ain't gonna be a walk in the park. Then again, your AD Dream narrative has even more legs if we go out and do something super silly -- like beat the stuffings out of Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. You don't even need to solicit donations at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    He'll have stadium expansion to focus on, and that ain't gonna be a walk in the park. Then again, your AD Dream narrative has even more legs if we go out and do something super silly -- like beat the stuffings out of Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. You don't even need to solicit donations at that point.
    I think college football in general is going to have to deal with concussions / CTE and the work/pay/play issue in the not-so-distant future.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Harlan could go 5+ years without needing to do anything hard.
    Until you have to bury one of your murdered student athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the USU AD said that USU would not do a 2 for 1 with Utah. I understand his position and it is hard to argue differently when the Utes have 1 for 1 with Wyoming (IMO stupid), SDSU (IMO good) and Houston (IMO good). Since joining the PAC 12 I have consistently been in favor of playing USU and BYU on a rotating 1 for 1 basis. I used to love going to Logan for games and never enjoyed going to Provo for games. Money is not an issue because they keep the gate when we play at USU and we keep the gate when we play at SLC - probably the same deal we are doing with NIU and the schools mentioned above.

I have no problem with doing a home/away with USU. I do have a problem with the USU AD feeling entitled to said home/away. We don't owe him anything. Playing USU is certainly not a plus for us in terms of rankings, recruiting, or perception.

Are Kyle and Gary friends? I wouldn't want to play against a friend if I could avoid it.
    somebody tweeted that if USU is big enough for a home and home, they should not be getting appropriations from the legislature for recruiting

So, Mark Harlan just tweeted something interesting...

For those on a mobile device: "Congrats @ClemsonFB, see you soon."
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 01-07-2019 at 11:15 PM.

The Football Scheduling Thread

So, Mark Harlan just tweeted something interesting...

For those on a mobile device: "Congrats @ClemsonFB, see you soon."
    It gets better. Or at least, foggier.

He means in next season's playoffs?
    That’s how I read it — as cheerleading..

--Yeats

The rivalry game has officially been extended two more years through 2024. This overlaps the Baylor series and Hereford the first departure from Chris Hill’s scheduling strategy.

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/1/14/...ll-series.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The rivalry game has officially been extended two more years through 2024. This overlaps the Baylor series and Hereford the first departure from Chris Hill’s scheduling strategy.

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/1/14/...ll-series.aspx

this was the perfect time to take a two year break and play Utah State home and away

If we're gonna take a break from the BYU series, I would hope it could be for something better than a USU home and away. Why would USU move the needle at all? I guess it gives our fans an easy road trip. Other than that, I'm not sure why we would want to bother.
    using the Dr. Hill/Whittingham graded scale of college football, Utah has Baylor on the schedule in 2023 and 2024 (also Weber and SUU), don't need an 'A' or 'C' type opponent, need a 'B'

If we're gonna take a break from the BYU series, I would hope it could be for something better than a USU home and away. Why would USU move the needle at all? I guess it gives our fans an easy road trip. Other than that, I'm not sure why we would want to bother.

I like playing USU. It is a fun atmosphere and doesn't bring all the shit that BYU brings out in them and in us. I love to go to Logan and never go to Provo.

Like I said, it gives our fans an easy road trip. I think that's the only item on the pro list.
    What is on the pro list for playing BYU?

The legislature keeps funding scientific research if we keep playing byu.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Don’t fool yourself. They don’t fund research. Nor do they find the hospital. They don’t fund much. But they do authorize things like the board of regents and board of trustees and that’s the issue.

One of the biggest jokes in Utah is the state funds the U.

Uhhhh....it's a great game that we always win!

Not killing a 100 year rivalry. Tradition. Satisfaction when we win. Gut wrenching pain when we lose. Not looking like we're afraid. Finishing what we started. Revenge. Drama. Intensity. Glory.

But I agree, Logan is a way better road trip than Provo.
    I just don't feel those things anymore. I am happy the game is at the first of the year so we don't have to hear about it for awhile although the next time we lose I anticipate that is all we will hear until the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    The U's research dollars hit over $500 million for the first time in 2018, nearly a $200 million dollar increase from FY-2011

https://healthcare.utah.edu/publicaf...earch-news.php

I just don't feel those things anymore. I am happy the game is at the first of the year so we don't have to hear about it for awhile although the next time we lose I anticipate that is all we will hear until the following year.
    I agree with the game being scheduled early in the year (although, think of all the injuries we had and how that would have affected us if we'd had played Oregon or Arizona in the last game). but how can you say you don't enjoy the game? I don't follow BYU as closely as I used to (praise be!), but I really, REALLY didn't want to lose that game. And that was different than other non-conference games; against Northern Illinois we looked like trash, but late in the game I was resigned to being bad last year, whereas with BYU every tackle, every hit, every touchdown pass had elements of elation, hatred, childhood memories, and WECAN'TLOSETHISGAME feelings. Basically, the way a rivalry should be.