Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NCAA Football Season

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Trouble for Miami. Down 17-7 in the fourth to Pitt.

(Where is Sancho with this week's games?)
    #2 goes down 24-14.

Trouble for Miami. Down 17-7 in the fourth to Pitt.

(Where is Sancho with this week's games?)
    Dang it. I was so grateful for turkey that I forgot.

Miami losing is the first domino in the mass chaos playoff scenario.

#2 goes down 24-14.
    Without more chaos, it probably didn't matter for Miami. The game against Clemson next week was always the one that matters.

The key today is Lindsay. If cu runs like asu did, we lose.

CFP picture is surprisingly clear:

We have Clemson/Miami, Auburn/UGA, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma. If either Wisc or OU lose, we get Bama instead of a Big10/Big12 rep. If they both lose, we get Bama and Ohio State.

Thoughts:

1. It would be pretty funny if the new title game costs the Big12 a playoff spot.
    2. It bugs me that we ignore bad losses in this selection process. If you lose to Syracuse or Pitt, you should be out. Period.
    3. I don't think Miami is good.

Tenneseein' is Tennebelievin'. This has been a nice reminder that other fan bases can be just as insane as our own.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Tenneseein' is Tennebelievin'. This has been a nice reminder that other fan bases can be just as insane as our own.
    I saw SoCalPat talking about this on twitter but it was fascinating to watch unfold on twitter. Clay Travis was essentially the mob leader on this one and he quickly got the support of local political leaders. Pat Forde called Travis a 'Carnival Barker' and Doug Gottlieb (who hosts a show on the same network as Travis) got into a back and forth with him on twitter. Now its reached hte point where they want the AD fired, also with Travis as the instigator.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I saw SoCalPat talking about this on twitter but it was fascinating to watch unfold on twitter. Clay Travis was essentially the mob leader on this one and he quickly got the support of local political leaders. Pat Forde called Travis a 'Carnival Barker' and Doug Gottlieb (who hosts a show on the same network as Travis) got into a back and forth with him on twitter. Now its reached hte point where they want the AD fired, also with Travis as the instigator.
    Clay Travis may be exposed to legal liabilities on this move. He used clearly false statements (saying Greg Schiano covered up child rape at Penn State) to whip up fans to protest Tennessee hiring him as the HC.

Schiano is the DC at Ohio State and has done a marvellous job with Urban's D. He also won 11 games at Rutgers, of all places. He would be a decent choice at Tennessee. But because he coached at PSU from 1990-1995 he is now suspect of horrible crimes, at least by people who don't know anything and won't read about the actual facts.

Schiano was never even interviewed by the prosecutors in the case, because any accusations against him were found to be not credible. From PSU, Sandusky is in prison as are three administrators. JoePa probably would be also, if he hadn't kicked the bucket. If they had any further info on Schiano he would also be in hot water. I the truth is he wasn't even mentioned in the Freeh report.

Travis claiming Schiano covered up child rape and stirring up the shit may be found to be libellous. Schiano is going to sue Rocky Top for backing out of a deal worth guaranteed tens of millions, and UT might be wise to follow with a suit against Travis and his employer.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Clay Travis may be exposed to legal liabilities on this move. He used clearly false statements (saying Greg Schiano covered up child rape at Penn State) to whip up fans to protest Tennessee hiring him as the HC.

Schiano is the DC at Ohio State and has done a marvellous job with Urban's D. He also won 11 games at Rutgers, of all places. He would be a decent choice at Tennessee. But because he coached at PSU from 1990-1995 he is now suspect of horrible crimes, at least by people who don't know anything and won't read about the actual facts.

Schiano was never even interviewed by the prosecutors in the case, because any accusations against him were found to be not credible. From PSU, Sandusky is in prison as are three administrators. JoePa probably would be also, if he hadn't kicked the bucket. If they had any further info on Schiano he would also be in hot water. I the truth is he wasn't even mentioned in the Freeh report.

Travis claiming Schiano covered up child rape and stirring up the shit may be found to be libellous. Schiano is going to sue Rocky Top for backing out of a deal worth guaranteed tens of millions, and UT might be wise to follow with a suit against Travis and his employer.
    I don't think Travis is in any legal trouble. He merely pointed out that Schiano was named in court testimony, and that is true with the upshot being that Schiano had a part in the cover up, if the testimony is true.

I don't think Travis is in any legal trouble. He merely pointed out that Schiano was named in court testimony, and that is true with the upshot being that Schiano had a part in the cover up, if the testimony is true.
    But that is the point. The court testimony that was referenced was proven in court to be untruthful. For instance, the two counts against Sandusky derived from that testimony are the only two that he was not convicted on. That testimony was not true of Sandusky, and definitely was not true regarding Schiano. Like I said, Schiano was entirely cleared by the prosecutors and by the FBI. Tennessee fully vetted him and we're ready to present the contracts, when the backlash whipped into a frenzy.

I only care about this because I am interested to see how teams replace coaches. Count me as a person who thought Penn State should have been given the death penalty, and everybody involved in the program banned from football. But when I looked closer at the case, and Schiano in particular, there just is nothing linking him to the criminal activity.

Tennessee is considered a 'blue blood' in CFB, and the program is now a complete shit show who can't hire a coach to save their lives. I wish this would resonate with the #FireWhitt crowd, because 90% of the available coaches out there are worse or will bring worse baggage and we are more likely to end up in a worse position with a 90%-er than we are to hire a 10%-er who will take us further than Whitt already will.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    But that is the point. The court testimony that was referenced was proven in court to be untruthful. For instance, the two counts against Sandusky derived from that testimony are the only two that he was not convicted on. That testimony was not true of Sandusky, and definitely was not true regarding Schiano. Like I said, Schiano was entirely cleared by the prosecutors and by the FBI. Tennessee fully vetted him and we're ready to present the contracts, when the backlash whipped into a frenzy.

I only care about this because I am interested to see how teams replace coaches. Count me as a person who thought Penn State should have been given the death penalty, and everybody involved in the program banned from football. But when I looked closer at the case, and Schiano in particular, there just is nothing linking him to the criminal activity.

Tennessee is considered a 'blue blood' in CFB, and the program is now a complete shit show who can't hire a coach to save their lives. I wish this would resonate with the #FireWhitt crowd, because 90% of the available coaches out there are worse or will bring worse baggage and we are more likely to end up in a worse position with a 90%-er than we are to hire a 10%-er who will take us further than Whitt already will.
    Schiano's name didn't come up until 3 years after Sandusky was convicted (2015 deposition that became public in 2016). The statement by McQuery has not in any way shape or form been proven false; its an unsubstantiated claim that both coaches involved have denied. Schiano's name had nothing to do at all, whatsoever with Sandusky's trial. If McQuery's statement had been proven false, he would have been tried for perjury. I don't know whether Schiano is guilty or not, but there is undeniable baggage with him now.

Schiano's name didn't come up until 3 years after Sandusky was convicted (2015 deposition that became public in 2016). The statement by McQuery has not in any way shape or form been proven false; its an unsubstantiated claim that both coaches involved have denied. Schiano's name had nothing to do at all, whatsoever with Sandusky's trial. If McQuery's statement had been proven false, he would have been tried for perjury. I don't know whether Schiano is guilty or not, but there is undeniable baggage with him now.
    C'mon. McQuery made a hearsay statement that has no foundation and by definition cannot be proven false. Sciano or anybody else deserves more than that, with his reputation at stake, as both Penn Sate and Ohio State officials have affirmed. He shouldn't have the baggage you describe and you cant right it off as undeniable.

Clay Travis is a smart guy. His wording from all the tweets and articles I can see are ambiguous enough (may have covered up. . ., according to court testimony. . .) that I don't think he would liable. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure. But guess what, Clay Travis is a lawyer, so he likely knows the boundaries not to cross.

Edit- I'm not saying I think what Clay did was right. I don't like it when the twitter mob is whipped into a frenzy on baseless allegations. And looking at Clay's history, they guy seems like a world class jerk, so it isn't surprising that he did something like this.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 11-28-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    C'mon. McQuery made a hearsay statement that has no foundation and by definition cannot be proven false. Sciano or anybody else deserves more than that, with his reputation at stake, as both Penn Sate and Ohio State officials have affirmed. He shouldn't have the baggage you describe and you cant right it off as undeniable.

No one at Penn St, Ohio St, Tennessee or anywhere else has any idea if GS is guilty of this or not. The only three who know are MM and the two mentioned in the deposition. Having an accusation against you is baggage, fair or not (I'd say unfair, but that is life unfortunately). This is all I am saying.

Championship week!

Friday night: the humble Pac-12 title game. Nothing on the line, but we have a chance to see the team with the talent face the team with the coach. USC dominated round one, but Stanford seems to have improved quite a bit during the season. Line USC by 3.5.

Sat morning:

AAC. Memphis @ UCF. Go Tigers. NY6 bowl game on the line.
    MAC. Akron vs Toledo in Detroit. Akron is 7-5 and playing for a title.
    CUSA. North Texas @ FAU. Kiffin has dedicated his season to winning games and trolling his former employers on Twitter. Go Kiffin, I guess.

Big12. TCU vs OU. Sooners wrecked them in the first meeting. Line OU by 7.

Sat afternoon:

SEC. UGA vs Auburn. Auburn by 2.5. Tigers rolled in their first meeting. UGa complained a lot about the officiating.

Sat evening:

MWC. Fresno @ Boise. Boise by 8.5. The committee ranked Fresno for the sole purpose of giving Alabama an extra top 25 win. Bulldogs are 50+ ranking in Sagarin. Won't matter after Boise beats them.

Miami vs Clemson. Clemson -9.5. Oddsmakers and sancho agree - Miami is lucky, not good.

OSU vs Wisconsin. OSU -6.5. We all remember what happened last time. Can Badgers get revenge? Wisconsin is the underdog.

Reminder: the media tries to generate discussion by pretending there are many CFP scenarios, but the picture is quite clear:

1) Clemson/Miami winner.
    2) Auburn/Georgia winner.
    3) OU if they win.
    4) Wisconsin if they win.
    5) Bama if either OU or Wisc loses.
    6) OSU if both OU and Wisc lose.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Clay Travis is a smart guy. His wording from all the tweets and articles I can see are ambiguous enough (may have covered up. . ., according to court testimony. . .) that I don't think he would liable. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure. But guess what, Clay Travis is a lawyer, so he likely knows the boundaries not to cross.

Edit- I'm not saying I think what Clay did was right. I don't like it when the twitter mob is whipped into a frenzy on baseless allegations. And looking at Clay's history, they guy seems like a world class jerk, so it isn't surprising that he did something like this.
    This is what I have been trying to say, but you put it much better than I. I came off somewhat antagonizing.

Clay is an interesting guy. Years ago he was on 1280 the zone weekly before he made it big. He seemed like just another guy with a blog. Since he has 'blown up', I have seen him antagonize ESPN personalities over potentially losing their job, call people who get bumped off airplanes 'Losers' because they aren't in first class, subsequently get bumped off an airplane because his son had lice (only to write a scathing column about how airlines shouldn't bump people off for no reason). brag about his ratings, brag about how much money he has, go on long tirades and emphatically block people from his daily afternoon show (which he broadcasts from a phone in his house) because they dared to disagree with him. His tuesday "anonymous mailbags" are the stuff of high school wanna be frat boys.

Hes found a niche playing a right wing sports personality and he tries to be something between Sean Hannity and Howard Stern. Under the right conditions, he can be entertaining, but he can also be a complete and total clown.

Reminder: the media tries to generate discussion by pretending there are many CFP scenarios, but the picture is quite clear:

1) Clemson/Miami winner.
    2) Auburn/Georgia winner.
    3) OU if they win.
    4) Wisconsin if they win.
    5) Bama if either OU or Wisc loses.
    6) OSU if both OU and Wisc lose.
    Scenario: Auburn narrowly beats Georgia, OU loses a heartbreaker to TCU, Ohio State narrowly beats Wisconsin. Conventional thinking seems to be that OSU is in the playoff, but....why?

I think many teams would be completely out of the picture with two losses, one of which was by a million points against Iowa.

I think Georgia would have a case to be in based on only having a loss to a playoff team (the case against them would be that nobody wants to see Auburn-Georgia for a third time).

OU's loss to Iowa State may cancel out OSU's loss to Iowa, but since OU planted the flag in the horseshoe they should get the nod if both teams have two losses.

(As far as I can tell, Utah's bowl prospects are improved by the PAC 12 getting two teams in the NY6 which is more likely if TCU loses, so we are probably OU fans this weekend. Beyond that, cheer for chaos).

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    but....why?
    Why?

1) Because OSU is OSU. We've seen this before.
    2) OSU is a conference champ in this scenario, and OU is not.
    2) You don't take an OU team that just lost when you can have an OSU that just won.

Resume can only take you so far in this process. Timing of wins/losses, history, tradition, brand name, respect of head coach, recruiting rankings, etc - all of these things fall under what the committee calls the "eye test". The eye test is the most important of all factors the because it is the only separator when a bunch of teams check everything else off the list.

Good record? Check
    Quality wins? Check
    One or fewer bad loss? Check
    Conference champ? Check

Everything checks out - time for the eye test! "Whoa, are you saying you think Paul Chryst's Badgers would beat Nick Saban's Tide on a neutral field?? No way!" Eye test.

Your's is the nightmare scenario for the Big12. If they had never added this title game, OU would already home comfortably watching other teams sweat it out.

Athalon ranks Utah #10 in football social media accounts.

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...inia-tech-utah

Championship week!

Friday night: the humble Pac-12 title game. Nothing on the line, but we have a chance to see the team with the talent face the team with the coach. USC dominated round one, but Stanford seems to have improved quite a bit during the season. Line USC by 3.5.
    Good one in the bay going into the 4th quarter. Just saw an all time epic flop draw a 15 yard flag.

Good one in the bay going into the 4th quarter. Just saw an all time epic flop draw a 15 yard flag.
    Ha ha, yep. If he would have hopped one or two more times on the way down, he would have looked like Dillon Brooks from last year.

That was a good game. For the fist time I a few years it wasn’t a blow out. And finally, a South team wins it.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Ultimate Whittingham drive going on right now for OSU. Run, run, run with the lead and then go for it on 4th and 1.

Ultimate Whittingham drive going on right now for OSU. Run, run, run with the lead and then go for it on 4th and 1.
    come on Badgers

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    come on Badgers
    Close game essentially decided by a non-call on the pass interference. Bummer. So close to having a team in the playoff worth rooting for.

Boo. But not surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Boo. But not surprising.
    Yup, why the boo? Who did you want instead?

The media have been telling me I should be excited about this. I don't think they "get" the average fan. I don't need to see the same teams in the playoff season after season after season. I want underdogs and fresh blood. Who am I supposed to be excited about in this mix? I guess that's the reason the regular season has always trumped the postseason in college football.

So UW got into a NY6 bowl. Not sure how that changes things for us, but it must have some effect.

Yup, why the boo? Who did you want instead?

The media have been telling me I should be excited about this. I don't think they "get" the average fan. I don't need to see the same teams in the playoff season after season after season. I want underdogs and fresh blood. Who am I supposed to be excited about in this mix? I guess that's the reason the regular season has always trumped the postseason in college football.
    That is exactly how I feel about our OOC schedule each year.

No son.