Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 422

Thread: Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

  1. #331
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,197
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think there is a realistic path to 8-4:

    Beat both AZ schools.

    We have Stanford, UCLA, and CU at home. We win 2 of 3.

    We beat either WSU at home or Oregon on the road.

    We lose to USC and UW.

    That's 8-4, and it doesn't seem too crazy.
    I'd love to see that.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  2. #332
    One thing we can do but haven't seen is a stretch RPO. I think we will see more of those on Friday.

    Where Huntley can hand off or run. If Huntley runs to the outside, he can then keep it or throw.

    I'd bet that is the whole "we haven't opened up the offense yet" is coming from.

    We've only run about 7 plays and been amazing (for Utah) offensively.

    I still think we are a 7 to 8 win team, but that's more schedule related than talent related.

    Hell, maybe we luck out and beat Stanford and miss Cal.

  3. #333
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    One thing we can do but haven't seen is a stretch RPO. I think we will see more of those on Friday.

    Where Huntley can hand off or run. If Huntley runs to the outside, he can then keep it or throw.

    I'd bet that is the whole "we haven't opened up the offense yet" is coming from.

    We've only run about 7 plays and been amazing (for Utah) offensively.

    I still think we are a 7 to 8 win team, but that's more schedule related than talent related.

    Hell, maybe we luck out and beat Stanford and miss Cal.
    I'd like to see more of the straight option. I thought that worked well on Saturday.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #334
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,101
    I would just like to see better o-line play, which should give Taylor/Huntley a lot more options.

  5. #335
    FPI update. After winning in the desert, ESPN finally believes we will play in a bowl game this season:

    Screenshot 2017-09-25 09.20.23.png

  6. #336
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    910
    Utah's first 3 years in the PAC-12 ... 9 wins - 18 losses 33.3 winning %

    Since then ... 17-11 60.7%

    that's pretty damn good

  7. #337
    Matt Gay granted another year of eligibility.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  8. #338
    New ESPN FPI. We actually moved up with the loss.

    http://www.espn.com/college-football...=254&year=2017

    They still have us finishing 6-6 with UCLA, ASU, and CU being close games and USC, WSU, UW, and Oregon being lopsided losses.

  9. #339
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    New ESPN FPI. We actually moved up with the loss.

    http://www.espn.com/college-football...=254&year=2017

    They still have us finishing 6-6 with UCLA, ASU, and CU being close games and USC, WSU, UW, and Oregon being lopsided losses.
    Depending on Huntley's health, we could be looking at Utah vs. UVA in the Sun Bowl.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  10. #340
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Depending on Huntley's health, we could be looking at Utah vs. UVA in the Sun Bowl.
    That would be fun!

  11. #341
    ESPN FPI moves us up to 43. They have ASU at 44.

    http://www.espn.com/college-football...=254&year=2017

    Utah now picked to finish 7-5 (they moved UCLA to the win category).

  12. #342
    FPI. Down to 47. Utah now picked to finish 5-7, with our last win vs CU. That would involve a 7 game losing streak. Please, no.

    http://www.espn.com/college-football...=254&year=2017

  13. #343
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    FPI. Down to 47. Utah now picked to finish 5-7, with our last win vs CU. That would involve a 7 game losing streak. Please, no.

    http://www.espn.com/college-football...=254&year=2017
    Man. I can't imagine losing 7 games in a row to some pretty mediocre competition. I pray it doesn't happen.

    Speaking of which, I saw something funny on Twitter yesterday. BYU has now lost 7 in a row, twice this season!

  14. #344
    Looked at Sagarin today for the first time this season. He has us #44, in between ASU and TTech.

    Our SOS is 46, higher than Bama, Wisconsin, UW, and Michigan.

    FSU has the #1 SOS. Computers really like the ACC SOS in general this season.

  15. #345
    Where is UCF? They also have a crazy SOS.

  16. #346

  17. #347
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    2018 football schedule released:
    No OSU/Cal again.

    @WSU, @Stanford tough back-to-back road games.

    Two Friday night games (Zona and @UCLA).

    Short week from @Stanford to Friday vs Zona.

    Short week from USC to Friday @UCLA.

  18. #348
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestutefan View Post
    where is ucf? They also have a crazy sos.
    99 sos

  19. #349
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    No OSU/Cal again.

    @WSU, @Stanford tough back-to-back road games.

    Two Friday night games (Zona and @UCLA).

    Short week from @Stanford to Friday vs Zona.

    Short week from USC to Friday @UCLA.
    This type of scheduling is built for someone to win, just not the Utes.

  20. #350
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    99 sos
    Oops. Obviously had them confused with Florida State.

  21. #351
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    This type of scheduling is built for someone to win, just not the Utes.
    I'm not sure anyone wins with that schedule. the Pac-12 is brutal, but missing a freebie win and a game against an imminently beatable team makes it suicidal.

  22. #352
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm not sure anyone wins with that schedule. the Pac-12 is brutal, but missing a freebie win and a game against an imminently beatable team makes it suicidal.
    BYU and Weber are not freebies?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  23. #353

    Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    BYU and Weber are not freebies?
    Neither is NIU. They are currently 8-3 and first in their division.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 11-16-2017 at 10:11 PM.

  24. #354
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    BYU and Weber are not freebies?
    No, they are. Weber is Div-III (is Mcbride still the head coach there) and we haven't lost to BYU since the Nixon administration. But it would be lovely to face Oregon State and have THREE guaranteed wins.

  25. #355
    Check out the Pac-12 season stats:

    http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

    What few stats jump out at you about Utah?

  26. #356
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,197
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Check out the Pac-12 season stats:

    http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

    What few stats jump out at you about Utah?
    Hey, we are tops in kicking!

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  27. #357
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Check out the Pac-12 season stats:

    http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

    What few stats jump out at you about Utah?
    We have underperformed according to where we are statistically. probably the result of turnovers and redzone failures

  28. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    We have underperformed according to where we are statistically. probably the result of turnovers and redzone failures
    Those are the two stats that really jump out at me. That and our defensive stats were better than I expected.

  29. #359
    here is a link to some national stats that Utebuntu posted on twitter.

    https://knowhuddle.com/teamstats/?aselect=utah

    What jumped out to me is our rank in sacks and sacks per attempt--92nd and 104th nationally. Our pass rush has been historically anemic.

    And we rank 114th in interceptions thrown.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-20-2017 at 12:49 PM.

  30. #360
    Perhaps this is posted elsewhere, but Mitch and Matt both named finalists for the Guy and Groza awards, respectively.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •