Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Former Ute Great gives his thoughts on the season: https://espn700sports.com/interviews...-end-08-28-17/
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    X and Z are outside receivers. Y is the regular slot guy. The E is the other guy who will be in the slot when there is no TE on the field.
    Loose End?
    Last edited by U-Ute; 08-29-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Loose End?
    I think the loose end goes into the game just after the end of days. The dead end never gets on the field.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-30-2017 at 10:40 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The offensive play calling was a little different than expected with 47 rushes to 32 passes. I think the ability to run the ball effectively was the primary reason for this. I was also surprised by the number of designed runs by Huntley. He is a dynamic runner, but the more he runs the more exposed he becomes. I like the way Moss ran the ball but was surprised that we did not see more Jordan Howard and we no DHC. If I am him, I think hard about transferring. Troy McCormick's role was a pleasant surprise and I was also surprised at how often we played with 1 and even 2 TE's, but I think they were only targeted 3 times in the pass game. I would take that stat line every game, but I know pretty much every defense we face from here on out will be better than ND.

Defensively, we stuffed the run and were solid in pass coverage. The broken coverage TD was a clear error, but other than that, I thought the D was as advertised. The injury to Kavika is a downer and I would expect that we will see Hansen drop down to LB if he is out for an extended period of time.

Special teams were fine. I felt sorry for the first kicker. He missed a long one and then took a seat. The other guy got to warm up with a PAT and then a couple of shorter FG's.

The penalties are all correctible mistakes.

Solid first game.

I would take that stat line every game, but I know pretty much every defense we face from here on out will be better than ND.
    Did you forget that we still get to play ASU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching the replay of the game, the last play for Kabila was the ND touchdown at beginning of 4th qtr. he looked fine so I don't know what happened.

Watching the replay of the game, the last play for Kabila was the ND touchdown at beginning of 4th qtr. he looked fine so I don't know what happened.
    Totally reliable information from Twitter said that the fear was the dreaded Liz Frank (who I can only assume is lisfranc) but it was confirmed today not to be.

I'm not worried about Huntley's high rushes. 15 carries in his first game.

If you want to settle him down, what do you do? Let him do what he does best, run.

I'd bet he runs less and less until the Stanford and USC games. I'd bet he only runs it 3-5 times those games (on called runs).

You hope by them he's in a good groove and you can run him less and have him throw more.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I'm not worried about Huntley's high rushes. 15 carries in his first game.

If you want to settle him down, what do you do? Let him do what he does best, run.

I'd bet he runs less and less until the Stanford and USC games. I'd bet he only runs it 3-5 times those games (on called runs).

You hope by them he's in a good groove and you can run him less and have him throw more.
    I think you run him for as long as it's effective. If it's working, 15 carries is fine. What a headache for the bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think you run him for as long as it's effective. If it's working, 15 carries is fine. What a headache for the bad guys.
    I agree with this. I didn't like the hit he took on the sideline where his head slammed into the ground. Gotta get him to stop taking those hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I agree with this. I didn't like the hit he took on the sideline where his head slammed into the ground. Gotta get him to stop taking those hits.
    Yeah, it was a little surprising to see him bounce back up after that hit.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-ut...o-make-amends/

Great article on Carrington, and some of his personal issues.

The injury to Kavika is a downer and I would expect that we will see Hansen drop down to LB if he is out for an extended period of time.
    I hope Donovan Thompson is ready. Though they're both shorter, it's hard to replace the speed at LB that he and Sunia bring. If Chase is healthy, he can play FS, SS or LB, or maybe even line him up at the edge on obvious passing downs to eat two blocks.

I'm really happy Afia and Marquise Blair got as many snaps as they did. Blair is a little light to be SS, but he's got impressive speed & range.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I hope Donovan Thompson is ready. Though they're both shorter, it's hard to replace the speed at LB that he and Sunia bring. If Chase is healthy, he can play FS, SS or LB, or maybe even line him up at the edge on obvious passing downs to eat two blocks.

I'm really happy Afia and Marquise Blair got as many snaps as they did. Blair is a little light to be SS, but he's got impressive speed & range.
    Rumor is Kavika isn't out long

ESPN FPI once again is skeptical of the Utes, picking us to go 5-7.

Screenshot 2017-09-18 08.52.42.png

when you watch what LSU and Wiscy did to BYU vs. what Utah did, I can see why folks are skeptical. And while we've had flashes of great play, we've looked ugly at times. Hopefully Tucson will be a turning point

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    when you watch what LSU and Wiscy did to BYU vs. what Utah did, I can see why folks are skeptical. t
    Yeah, that's the closest thing to a data point the algorithm has so far. We still know so little about this team.

Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Yeah, that's the closest thing to a data point the algorithm has so far. We still know so little about this team.
    I was watching my recording of the game and was concerned about the offensive line. They seemed to struggle at opening holes for the RBs and at protecting Huntley.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-18-2017 at 10:46 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was watching my recording of the game and was concerned about the offensive line. They seemed to struggle at opening holes for the RBs and at protecting Huntley.
    This is the big concern of Ute fans everywhere. We've looked ok at times but the O-line has looked over matched in every game. Things could get ugly when we see a team with a real defensive line. Hopefully that is not this week.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think the main problem with the RB run game is that almost all of the runs are parallel to the LOS as opposed to directly into the line. These runs take longer to develop and I think that is the main problem. We hardly run any plays where the guard and/or tackle and pull and the RB follows them into the line.

I believe we were all thinking that TT would just add a spread pass game to the existing run game and we would be good to go. Doesn't look like it is designed like that.

I think the main problem with the RB run game is that almost all of the runs are parallel to the LOS as opposed to directly into the line. These runs take longer to develop and I think that is the main problem. We hardly run any plays where the guard and/or tackle and pull and the RB follows them into the line.

I believe we were all thinking that TT would just add a spread pass game to the existing run game and we would be good to go. Doesn't look like it is designed like that.
    Somebody on the radio the other day (maybe Hans, maybe Gunther) said our interior linemen aren't good enough to pull as they did last year--not quick enough, not good enough footwork. I am afraid we don't run between the tackles because we can't--Linemen cant open holes and Moss goes down upon first contact.

I've wondered about this too...

Has anyone here studied what he did at EWU? Did he run between the tackles?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Somebody on the radio the other day (maybe Hans, maybe Gunther) said our interior linemen aren't good enough to pull as they did last year--not quick enough, not good enough footwork. I am afraid we don't run between the tackles because we can't--Linemen cant open holes and Moss goes down upon first contact.
    Hans Tweeted this out this morning concerning Utah's Power run game (pulling guards)

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Asiata was definitely a beast when he pulled a year ago, but Uhatafe was a guard last year too.

And according to them, one of those wins is a toss-up. And the losses don't have a prayer. 4-8 is as likely as 5-7. One more win for the rest of the season???? -- I'm thinking/hoping 7 or 8.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    And according to them, one of those wins is a toss-up. And the losses don't have a prayer. 4-8 is as likely as 5-7. One more win for the rest of the season???? -- I'm thinking/hoping 7 or 8.
    I agree. Here's my prediction:

Wins on that list that I consider somewhat likely:

Colorado
    Arizona
    ASU

We have a 50-50 chance:

UCLA

Long shots:

Oregon
    Stanford
    WSU

Not gonna happen:

USC
    Washington

So I think we are looking at a 6-6 record and an unexciting bowl game, assuming the wheel don't come off; 7-5 if we play a little better; and maybe 8-4 if we pull off a true upset along the way.

--Yeats

Since it is a home game and we have a bye the week before, i would put Stanford at 50-50. it is probably as likely as UCLA. Stanford doesn't seem to have a good qb.

LA,
    I don't know that I like "not gonna happen." I think we can beat or lose to any of our opponents in the Pac-12 this season. It seems to me that if we continue to improve we may have a shot to win a lot of games this year. If we remain at our current level offensively, we're in trouble.

I think should win games are Arizona, ASU and UCLA (that's what makes Friday so important). I put UCLA in that category because I think their defense is awful right now. Fifty-fifty games are Stanford, Oregon, WSU and Colorado. Long shots are USC and Washington.

Maybe I'm a little too optimistic. I like the potential of this offense but my optimism is based on seeing improvement throughout the year. I think we can finish 8-4 but I think we need to go 2-1 in our first three Pac-12 games to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    LA,
    I don't know that I like "not gonna happen." I think we can beat or lose to any of our opponents in the Pac-12 this season. It seems to me that if we continue to improve we may have a shot to win a lot of games this year. If we remain at our current level offensively, we're in trouble.

I think should win games are Arizona, ASU and UCLA (that's what makes Friday so important). I put UCLA in that category because I think their defense is awful right now. Fifty-fifty games are Stanford, Oregon, WSU and Colorado. Long shots are USC and Washington.

Maybe I'm a little too optimistic. I like the potential of this offense but my optimism is based on seeing improvement throughout the year. I think we can finish 8-4 but I think we need to go 2-1 in our first three Pac-12 games to do it.
    I was just trying to be realistic, 'biq. I hope you are right, and I think you may well be.

--Yeats

I think there is a realistic path to 8-4:

Beat both AZ schools.

We have Stanford, UCLA, and CU at home. We win 2 of 3.

We beat either WSU at home or Oregon on the road.

We lose to USC and UW.

That's 8-4, and it doesn't seem too crazy.