Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Not sure where to put this, but here is scary video of what must be the 405 from last night. Is that how LA Ute gets to work?

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/938437285258907648

Helicopters don't go on roads. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Helicopters don't go on roads. Duh.
    I hope that la ute drops some fire retardant during his commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    East kids should always go to the u.
    Sure, someone's got to keep Chi Omega and Sigma Chi running.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Sure, someone's got to keep Chi Omega and Sigma Chi running.
    Those two sororities have east high to thank for their existence. But I am talking about big, tongan boys to man our lines. Like sunia t; the finest our state has to offer.

Not sure where to put this, but here is scary video of what must be the 405 from last night. Is that how LA Ute gets to work?

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/938437285258907648
    Yep, that's the 405 but I don't take it to work. (I don't take it ever, during commuting periods anyway.) The entire freeway was shut down this morning, an exceedingly rare event -- it's happened only once in all my years here, and that was for construction, very late at night, and with weeks of advance notice. The spillover traffic on the other freeways from people seeking alternate routes killed commutes all over L.A. Many people yet worked from home. I had a meeting that I had to run, so I came in. Took me a looong time.

We've been lucky for decades to avoid serious fires in the Santa Monica Mountains (Hollywood, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Woodland Hills, Malibu) but it looks like our luck may have run out. It's pretty bad. I'm on an upper floor and can see most of the LA basin and the smoke is everywhere.

What's really bad if that my helicopter is also undergoing repairs today so I had to drive.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Yep, that's the 405 but I don't take it to work. (I don't take it ever, during commuting periods anyway.) The entire freeway was shut down this morning, an exceedingly rare event -- it's happened only once in all my years here, and that was for construction, very late at night, and with weeks of advance notice. The spillover traffic on the other freeways from people seeking alternate routes killed commutes all over L.A. Many people yet worked from home. I had a meeting that I had to run, so I came in. Took me a looong time.

We've been lucky for decades to avoid serious fires in the Santa Monica Mountains (Hollywood, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Woodland Hills, Malibu) but it looks like our luck may have run out. It's pretty bad. I'm on an upper floor and can see most of the LA basin and the smoke is everywhere.

What's really bad if that my helicopter is also undergoing repairs today so I had to drive.
    Wait, you actually go to work? Who knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Wait, you actually go to work? Who knew.
    Depends on how you define "work."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The American Football Coaches Association has named @Utah_Football one of seven winners of its 2017 Academic Achievement Award for recording a perfect percent NCAA Graduation Success Rate (GSR)! #goutes

7:43 AM - 7 Dec 2017

1 reply15 retweets62 likes
    Retweet

Direct message

That is pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Today is the day we take home the RAY GUY and the LOU GROZA, or something like that.

Don't look at this link, LAUte; much love for Utah Punters: http://rayguyaward.com/

I was looking back in this thread to see what was being said about placekicking before the season started. Things looked pretty bleak. Now, we have a likely Groza award winner. If you look through the accomplishments of the 3 finalist, Gay should win. I'm not sure how much politics or beauty contest factors come into play in the award.

http://www.lougrozaaward.com/index.c...main&x=1823812

Carlson Eberle Gay
    Field goals 21 16 27
    Field Goal % 75% 89% 87%
    Field Goals over 50 yards 4 5
    Extra Points 54 45 37
    Extra Point % 100% 100% 100%
    Total Points scored 117 93 118
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I was looking back in this thread to see what was being said about placekicking before the season started. Things looked pretty bleak. Now, we have a likely Groza award winner. If you look through the accomplishments of the 3 finalist, Gay should win. I'm not sure how much politics or beauty contest factors come into play in the award.

http://www.lougrozaaward.com/index.c...main&x=1823812

Carlson Eberle Gay
    Field goals 21 16 27
    Field Goal % 75% 89% 87%
    Field Goals over 50 yards 4 5
    Extra Points 54 45 37
    Extra Point % 100% 100% 100%
    Total Points scored 117 93 118
    Yeah, Carlson will be a challenge, but Eberle? Is he even the full time place kicker? Doesn't handle anything over 50? Maybe he just does the kicks that are less than 30! What a pansie! It's a travesty that he was even nominated! The NCAA is corrupt!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I would have liked about a dozen more extra points from gay.
    Last edited by sancho; 12-07-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I would have liked a bout a dozen more extra points from gay.
    You and LA!

OK, everyone knows that the real drama tonight is around the Ray Guy winner. A look at the finalists:

Punts Avg Long Total Yards
    Michael "The Dick" Dickson, Texas, Jr: 73 48.4 76 3532
    Mitch "the Bitch" Wishnowsky: 46 47.7 66 2035
    JK "Rowling" Scott, Alabama, Sr: 42 43.4 64 1822

Now, I don't think the defending champ has to worry about Scott. Even though he is the offensive star of Alabama, this year has been his worst year. Not a good look. Like BYU seniors for the last 4 years, he will never taste the sweet, sweet taste of getting the one thing you truly desire.

Now Dickson is another story. Hopefully the committee can look past the phenomenal number of punts (did Texas ever score this year?), and realize that the stats are nearly identical. Furthermore, if you look at pinning an opponent within the ten yard line, Mitch wins this thing going away. I have no stats to back up the last sentencem but it has to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    The American Football Coaches Association has named @Utah_Football one of seven winners of its 2017 Academic Achievement Award for recording a perfect percent NCAA Graduation Success Rate (GSR)! #goutes

7:43 AM - 7 Dec 2017

1 reply15 retweets62 likes
    Retweet

Direct message

I really like this, as a nerd in general and as a Utah alum in particular.
    I wonder how ASU's new commitment to a pro-model of running a football program will impact things like "academics" (in scare-quotes because, after all, it is Arizona State).
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I really like this, as a nerd in general and as a Utah alum in particular.
    I wonder how ASU's new commitment to a pro-model of running a football program will impact things like "academics" (in scare-quotes because, after all, it is Arizona State).
    The list is interesting, and it is a great honor. Great job by Utah and USU. And to Bronco's UVA team as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Bernard, Mangum, and Koroma have no business in the top 10. They wouldn't even play for Utah.
    Ha. I was right on 2/3. Maybe 3/3. Koroma was good this year.

Kaufusi ahead of Luafatasaga? Lol. Wilson and Simpkins are better than any WR's BYU has. Anae is better than any DL BYU has. Hart may be as well.
    Not too bad here either.

And I stand by my statement. If you mixed Utah and BYU's roster, Luafatasaga and Warner would start at LB'er.

Pau'u, Tauteoli, and Barton would be first off the bench. Thompson would play before Bernard. Bernard wouldn't play for us.

Magnum has been a worse passer vs P5 than Wilson and Hill and couldn't beat Hill out last year. He wouldn't have seen the field for us either. Ok, maybe when Troy hurt his knee vs USC. Maybe.

Koroma may have seen the field for us last year instead of Nowakowski, but he wouldn't play for us this fall. He wouldn't have played for us any year prior. We have guys that are just too big and too good.

Mangum, Koroma and Bernard would not play for Utah.
    Dropping 🔥🔥🔥🔥

And right. Except maybe Koroma. I still think his size would doom him though. I don’t think he gets a shot at Utah due to his size.

Dropping 

And right. Except maybe Koroma. I still think his size would doom him though. I don’t think he gets a shot at Utah due to his size.
    Bernard would have played for us (and maybe he will eventually). other than that, you were right. You are entitled to pat yourself on the back.

Initial thoughts:

Holliday has been talking up Young all spring/summer. Looks like the talk might be for real.

I don't think the OL changes. It's light on experience, but that's a damn talented OL. If they have it mentally, they will be really, really good. We have talent.

Same with our TE's. If we can stay healthy, they will catch a ton of balls. Taylor loves TE's. He loves the mismatches they cause, their ability in screen plays.

Shyne says he is 100%. Nice. Next man up. Shyne and Moss and DHC will battle to be the next NFL back out of Utah.

Our backup WR's... 😳

We need Carrington. He changes our WR corps from, "eh" to "we have tons of potential".

I think our TE's will catch a lot of balls.

Repp at LE and no Hart? Huh.

Tupai looked good in the spring. I think he will be solid this year.

We are good at LB. If healthy, I'd expect to see Ippolito take Barton's snaps, which isn't a terrible thing.

Safety, we are thin, but very talented. We may be better this year than last. *ducks and runs*

CB: talent, no experience. Time for Shah to really make a name for himself. He is loaded with talent. You could argue that Utah has never been amazing at recruiting CB's. They are never really highly rated guys. But, Utah has been amazing at developing CB's. Well, now we have talent and development. *Shivers*

K: we need a kicker. I think we will have 4-5 guys fighting for that spot.

P: we good.

LS: we lost a gem. Hopefully Handley can be consistent.
    Looks like the Young talk was for real. He made some great plays for us this year...AT CB!!! Ha ha.

I think the OL started gelling by the end of the year. Took longer than I thought, but they will be the foundation of a very good offense next year (hopefully). I’m so glad we get a bowl game. Be nice to see if our offense takes another step after another “spring ball”.

TE’s...if they can stay healthy...well, that never happened. Dang.

Shyne at 100%...😩

Though Moss looks like the next NFL back out of Utah.

Ippolito at LB... 😂😂😂 who said that? That dude is clueless. Ha ha.

Safety, thin but with talent, could be better than last year...I stand by this, but we were hurt a lot.

K: I think we found someone.

P: I think I love someone.

LS: have we found one yet? Ha ha.

Bernard would have played for us (and maybe he will eventually). other than that, you were right. You are entitled to pat yourself on the back.
    Talent wise, yah. Other stuff, I don’t know. Maybe at Utah, he’d do better. But I’m not sure he’d make it close enough to the field to play for us. Dude has had some issues for awhile.

And Kalani is finding out the “LaVell way” won’t fly these days. You can’t just sweep stuff under the rug and play this tough of an schedule and expect to win.

Utah, second in the south, fourth overall.

That usually means about 8 wins. Seems about right.

I think Stanford may be a little overrated but who do you bump up to knock them down?

I think USC and Washington both have 10+ wins.

I think Stanford, Utah, UCLA, WSU and Oregon make up tier two. They all have 7 to 9 wins.

ASU and OSU are tier three, with 5 to 7 wins.

Arizona and Cal have 3 to 5 wins.

I think the "spoiler" team this year is OSU. If their JC QB pans out, I could see them getting 6 or 7 wins and wrecking a couple team's seasons.
    Ouch. I guess I wasn’t too far off Utah with the 7-9 win range, right? Right?

OSU...Gary!!! What happened? Arizona...good for them.

Not my best post ever.

If it was 9 wins and second, in a heartbeat. This schedule is so hard. Second in the south might be a three way tie with 7 wins.
    I look a little better here.

Our OL is fine. Be glad Paulo hasn't played yet. Coaches say he may be the best guard we've ever had.

Harding has said Barton was good enough to start last year. LT is fine.

We have more talent overall on the OL than we've ever had. We just lack experience. The talent is there.

Harding likes the OL and Taylor has said the Ol will be the best unit on the offense.

Worry about WR's and CB and QB.

We are great everywhere else.
    Worry about CB? Ha ha. Terrible take.

I still stand by my OL prediction...but NEXT year.

QB. Yup. Troy was Troy, a not very good QB. Huntley was a very good, but very young and injured QB.

I think the key to the season is BYU. If you can't beat BYU, you can't go bowling.

Then, if yo beat BYU, the key to the season is Stanford. You have a bye week and USC the week after. The USC game is 99.9% a loss.

If you beat Stanford, you are 5-1 and ranked.

The next key is going 2-1 vs UCLA, WSU, Washington. If you do that, you are 7-2.

That leaves ASU, Colorado and Oregon. 2-1 puts you at 9-3.

Dream season.

Reality? Probably start 5-1. I think Stanford is a little over-rated.

USC - loss
    ASU - win
    Oregon - ???
    UCLA - ???
    WSU - win
    Washington - loss
    Colorado - win

That's 8 wins, two losses. How do the UCLA and Oregon games turn out?

That's the key.
    Dang. We were sooooo close to 5-1. Soooo close. ASU, I was wrong.
    Oregon, my wavering looks better now that we lost.
    7 TO’s vs WSU. Dang.

ASU and WSU were my downfall this year. I’m in the Huntley camp, but Troy should have played vs ASU.
    Last edited by Utah; 12-08-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Alright, I’m done mucking up this thread. Fun to look back.

Dropping 

OK, I hate to defend BYU in anything, but you do know that Koroma was named 2nd team All American by Pro Football Focus? I think we would find room for him.

I'll give you a generous 1/2. You nailed Mangum, you whiffed on Koroma, and Bernard is an incomplete.

I’ve seen all that. My biggest hangup with Koroma is his size. I don’t know if he’s at Utah as a freshman, if he ever gets looked at. That’s been my point all along.

Kudos to him though. He just keeps balling and proving everybody wrong.

All the reasons why I don’t think he’d play at Utah will be all the reasons why the second best center in college football goes undrafted.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I don’t think so. At a certain level, you just have to be big enough. He isn’t. And that is what would hold him back at Utah.

When you have Lo, who is 6 ft 5, 300 lbs vs Koroma, who is 5 ft 8 and 260...it’s tough to give him a shot.