Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Is this a real name?

https://www.google.com/search?q=zado...hrome&ie=UTF-8

when I first heard his name, I assumed he was an Orthodox rabbi, not a high school qb Baptist.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I have read many times--you probably havd too--that Mangum could not beat out Hill last year becasue he could not learn Detmer's offense and Detmer couldnt trust him. It is a relatively straightforward offense, and Hill picked it up immediately. Zadock Dinkelman said it is the same offense with the same terminology that his high school runs (not surprising, since he is Detmer's nephew.) We will see if an extra year changes that.

p.s. re coaching--I dont now how anybody can say that a qb would have gotten better coaching at utah given our OC carousel. If that were true, we would not have gone to Troy Taylor. And Tuiaki and Sitake havent become worse coaches since they left Utah.
    Mangum struggled big time in Anae's offense, which is very easy for QB's with reads, making the right throws, etc. There is a reason why he didn't start last year, and it wasn't because Hill is a great QB. He is terrible under pressure and has no clue where the defense is coming from when they attack.

His "greatness" came against terrible teams and even the "good" plays he had vs good teams amounted to him tossing the ball up and his giant receivers making plays. I don't think I've ever seen a play where he reads the defense, sees where they are attacking from and then delivers a great ball beating a good defensive play.

I don't think I've ever seen a play where he needs a big gain and he gets it done, outside of a hail mary.

Good luck with that.

He's never had a game like Williams had vs USC last year. Look at this stat line:

21/34, 270 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, 7 carries, 17 yards, 1 TD.

It's too bad he hurt his knee so bad after that.

Didn't Mangum throw like 3 INT's in BYU's spring game when he had defenders? It's not like BYU has the greatest secondary in the world.

I'd put the over/under on Mangum INT's after the Utah game at 6.5. It wouldn't shock me to see him over that number after LSU and Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    It was interesting to catch some observations on Mangum from Riley Jensen - who I really respect. I know Riley a little and I love the niche he's carved out offering insight into the local college football teams, high school recruiting (due to his involvement in a high school camp,) and, particularly, quarterbacks. Riley gushes over Mangum's arm. In a recent interview he discussed how BYU used Mangum two years ago - sideline outs and a lot of go routes. Jensen remarked they did those because they were safe. His criticism of Mangum was that he wasn't seeing the middle of the field. Jensen says that if Tanner doesn't improve in that space then, big arm or not, good teams/defenses will get the better of him. By the way, think for a moment about sideline out routes being safe for Tanner. Those are tough routes for a lot of quarterbacks because you need an arm to throw it. Riley couldn't say enough about how accurate Mangum was with those routes.

Anyway, Williams, Huntley and Bateman are our guys. I'm pleased with that. I think we'll see good quarterback play this season. Of the three, Williams seems to have the tools to be very good but he's learning yet another offensive system - two in two years at Utah. Mangum will be in the second year of Ty's offense.
    I agree about Riley Jensen. His local football knowledge is solid, and he doesn't appear to have any bias one way or another. His football segments in the fall are about the best sports radio this market has.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    But missions do something to QB's. The only QB I can think of that served a full two years and was highly successful was John Beck...and even he was a bust until his senior season.
    To be fair, Taysom made himself into a very good QB by his junior year. What kept him from being a very good college QB wasn't his mission, it was injuries (well, that and a crappy OL and mediocre receivers).

If we are going to do that, we'd have to assume that Utah would even want them in the first place. Koroma wasn't offered by Utah coming out of high school. Bernard's only other offer was from Utah State.

Those two just aren't good enough. If they had walked on at Utah, they'd probably never gotten off the scout team because Utah has better players at their disposal to work with.

Now, Mangum is a different story. Utah wanted Mangum. Coming out of high school, he was a great QB. But missions do something to QB's. The only QB I can think of that served a full two years and was highly successful was John Beck...and even he was a bust until his senior season. Then, you add in how badly Whitt wants his QB to run...Mangum would have competed at Utah, but I don't think he beats out a running QB, especially when the running QB's are better throwers at this point (Wilson and Hill).
    I'm just trying to compliment our coaches!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    To be fair, Taysom made himself into a very good QB by his junior year. What kept him from being a very good college QB wasn't his mission, it was injuries (well, that and a crappy OL and mediocre receivers).
    More than anything, it was his lack of accuracy, esp. his inability to hit receivers in stride. His ball sailed or went behind his receivers A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Good call.

More than anything, it was his lack of accuracy, esp. his inability to hit receivers in stride. His ball sailed or went behind his receivers A LOT.
    Yes. He was a Western Tim Tebow, but with injuries.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I agree about Riley Jensen. His local football knowledge is solid, and he doesn't appear to have any bias one way or another. His football segments in the fall are about the best sports radio this market has.
    I agree. Riley Jensen is great.

Generally agree, but in 2014 and 2015 he had a completion percentage of 66%. Granted, it was only for 5 1/2 games, and it included a lot of easy passes (7.5 YPA), but I thought he looked like a different guy accuracy-wise for that time period, especially after how he had looked before that. As you and LA noted, even a lot of completions were not terribly well thrown, but he sure scared the crap out of me as an opposing team.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Yes. He was a Western Tim Tebow, but with injuries.
    A western, poor man's Tim Tebow, of course. Tebow is one of the all time great college QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    A western, poor man's Tim Tebow, of course. Tebow is one of the all time great college QB's.
    I accept your amendment.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Dang. Speed and athleticism. Me likey.

New Interview with Kyle: https://espn700sports.com/interviews...coach-6-13-17/

Highlights:

- Camp opens earlier because of the new rules with no two-a-days
    - Could he see a day where, because camp is so long, they allow for inter-squad scrimmages against other schools - yes, but hard to see how it would work
    - Biggest challenges heading into 2017 - rebuilding the o-line and secondary, installing the offense
    - Asked about potential transfers coming in for the secondary...Kyle - Nope, not right now
    - Excited about Ballard and Hansen at Safety
    - Kicking game - three way battle at the kicking spot, Chayden Johnston probably the leader
    - Long snapper also needs to be evaluated
    - Return game - A lot of guys coming in that will get a look, as will Hobbs for PR, as for the Kick Return, they'll look at guys in camp
    - After reviewing the Spring Game tape, who do you see as guys that could break out? - Julian Blackmon defensively, great speed, hips, anticipation. Offensively, Jackson Barton played his best ball during the spring as well. Devonte Henry-Cole also could jump up.
    - Health update, only guy that will be behind health-wise is Chad Hekking. Everyone else is healthy.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Utah Utes 2017 pre-season

Well...this would be an interesting twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep...my hopes are up.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Well...this would be an interesting twist.

I guess I am okay with this. He was dismissed because of a DUI and because it was not the first problem he had. I don't know the others, but a DUI is a mistake that people should get a second chance from. Fortunately, he did not hurt anyone else or himself.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I guess I am okay with this. He was dismissed because of a DUI and because it was not the first problem he had. I don't know the others, but a DUI is a mistake that people should get a second chance from. Fortunately, he did not hurt anyone else or himself.
    Bring him on board. We gave Nai Fotu a one-game suspension for a (potentially) much worse offense.

Utah Utes 2017 pre-season

Lots of Twitters getting twitterpated about this cryptic post by Siaosi Wilson. Apparently there's some decent corroborating information behind the pay walls.

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 07-20-2017 at 12:42 AM.

We will know soon enough. 🤞🏼

Lots of Twitters getting twitterpated about this cryptic post by Siaosi Wilson. Apparently there's some decent corroborating information behind the pay walls.

I left the pay walls because my impression is that after Dan Sorensen left Rivals for Scout, both sites, in a fight for subscribers, have unfairly raised the hopes of Ute fans on the chances of landing particular athletes who are "leaning" towards Utah to the point that when it doesn't happen idiots strike out on social media at the player and the coaches in a way that doesn't sit well on other athletes and is frankly turning some of them off.

I know fans everywhere suck, but Utah/BYU/Jazz fans are the worst.

Maybe not kill each other in the parking lot bad or throw batteries at Santa bad, but our fans are petty, whinny, bitchy bad. We get mean.

We are like the condescending trophy wife. It's pathetic to watch.

One surprise wide receiver pick up. Do we make it two this before the weekend?!

Nice. Pretty big WR at 6'4" & 197 lbs, and runs 4.4, according to his profile.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5248970/josh-nurse

One surprise wide receiver pick up. Do we make it two this before the weekend?!

Just in time for camp to start.

Pre-camp depth chart has been released. Couple of surprises, all quarter backs in bold and Kenric Young in bold.

Initial thoughts:

Holliday has been talking up Young all spring/summer. Looks like the talk might be for real.

I don't think the OL changes. It's light on experience, but that's a damn talented OL. If they have it mentally, they will be really, really good. We have talent.

Same with our TE's. If we can stay healthy, they will catch a ton of balls. Taylor loves TE's. He loves the mismatches they cause, their ability in screen plays.

Shyne says he is 100%. Nice. Next man up. Shyne and Moss and DHC will battle to be the next NFL back out of Utah.

Our backup WR's... 😳

We need Carrington. He changes our WR corps from, "eh" to "we have tons of potential".

I think our TE's will catch a lot of balls.

Repp at LE and no Hart? Huh.

Tupai looked good in the spring. I think he will be solid this year.

We are good at LB. If healthy, I'd expect to see Ippolito take Barton's snaps, which isn't a terrible thing.

Safety, we are thin, but very talented. We may be better this year than last. *ducks and runs*

CB: talent, no experience. Time for Shah to really make a name for himself. He is loaded with talent. You could argue that Utah has never been amazing at recruiting CB's. They are never really highly rated guys. But, Utah has been amazing at developing CB's. Well, now we have talent and development. *Shivers*

K: we need a kicker. I think we will have 4-5 guys fighting for that spot.

P: we good.

LS: we lost a gem. Hopefully Handley can be consistent.

Initial thoughts:

Holliday has been talking up Young all spring/summer. Looks like the talk might be for real.

I don't think the OL changes. It's light on experience, but that's a damn talented OL. If they have it mentally, they will be really, really good. We have talent.

Same with our TE's. If we can stay healthy, they will catch a ton of balls. Taylor loves TE's. He loves the mismatches they cause, their ability in screen plays.

Shyne says he is 100%. Nice. Next man up. Shyne and Moss and DHC will battle to be the next NFL back out of Utah.

Our backup WR's... 

We need Carrington. He changes our WR corps from, "eh" to "we have tons of potential".

I think our TE's will catch a lot of balls.

Repp at LE and no Hart? Huh.

Tupai looked good in the spring. I think he will be solid this year.

We are good at LB. If healthy, I'd expect to see Ippolito take Barton's snaps, which isn't a terrible thing.

Safety, we are thin, but very talented. We may be better this year than last. *ducks and runs*

CB: talent, no experience. Time for Shah to really make a name for himself. He is loaded with talent. You could argue that Utah has never been amazing at recruiting CB's. They are never really highly rated guys. But, Utah has been amazing at developing CB's. Well, now we have talent and development. *Shivers*

K: we need a kicker. I think we will have 4-5 guys fighting for that spot.

P: we good.

LS: we lost a gem. Hopefully Handley can be consistent.
    I thought that the feeling was that Taylor doesn't use the TE very much, that's why we had the Washington kid decommit after the hire.