Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Our OL is fine. Be glad Paulo hasn't played yet. Coaches say he may be the best guard we've ever had.

Harding has said Barton was good enough to start last year. LT is fine.

We have more talent overall on the OL than we've ever had. We just lack experience. The talent is there.

Harding likes the OL and Taylor has said the Ol will be the best unit on the offense.

Worry about WR's and CB and QB.

We are great everywhere else.
    I'm happy to read that the coaches are so high on Paulo. Barton I've seen play and he's good but not great. Taylor has been coaching high school for most of the past 16 years, I'm sure our offensive line looks incredible to him.

Our OL is fine. Be glad Paulo hasn't played yet. Coaches say he may be the best guard we've ever had.

Harding has said Barton was good enough to start last year. LT is fine.

We have more talent overall on the OL than we've ever had. We just lack experience. The talent is there.

Harding likes the OL and Taylor has said the Ol will be the best unit on the offense.

Worry about WR's and CB and QB.

We are great everywhere else.
    Just as important as the talent is the coaching. We're very well covered in both of those pieces. Could take a few games though. Just like last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Just as important as the talent is the coaching. We're very well covered in both of those pieces. Could take a few games though. Just like last year.
    Good to have three pasties to open up the year with.

Good to have three pasties to open up the year with.
    Lol, that's a great typo.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

McKay Pett has been home from his mission for two or three weeks. Safe to say, the awkward period is over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLPBPNh-Fg8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone else wish the Utes were picked 4th instead of 2nd? For some reason, I think the Utes have always played better with Alan chip of disrespect on their shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Does anyone else wish the Utes were picked 4th instead of 2nd? For some reason, I think the Utes have always played better with Alan chip of disrespect on their shoulders.
    I've documented our record against the spread under Kyle in the Pac-12 somewhere on this board. I remember the results as being about what one could expect as an underdog. Our biggest issue is playing too many close games, often as slight favorites. We had 9 games decided by one possession last year. That's simply not a great pattern for huge success.

It's certainly a double edged sword. I think a lot of media members don't know what to make of the South beyond USC, and It's pretty obvious that they don't necessarily think Colorado is here to stay. So when you have ASU and Arizona looking on paper like a bit of a mess, with coaches both on the hot seat and keeping their eye on other jobs, and Colorado coming back as a bit of an unknown, that really only leaves Utah and UCLA. UCLA seems to underachieve every year (though I really like Mora), so I see where the ranking make sense.

Hopefully Whit still has them playing with that chip on their shoulder.

What it also probably means is that we've got a chance to start the season in the top 25...and if we can start 4-0, then the October 7 game vs. Stanford probably gets some attention.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    another November collapse
    Just as a painful reminder, here is the November collapse history:

2014, 1-3. Loss at #15 ASU (OT), blowout losses at home vs #15 Arizona and #5 Oregon. Win @ Stanford (2OT).

2015, 2-2. Wins @ UW (comfortable) and at home vs CU (close). Loss @ Zona (2OT) and at home vs UCLA (close).

2-16, 1-2. Blowout win @ ASU. Loss at home vs Oregon (close) and @ #9 CU (close).

Overall, 4-7. Four of the seven losses to ranked teams, one of the seven to a non-bowl team. Seven of the 11 games coming down to the wire with three going to OT.

So, who has Utah circled on their schedules this season?

- Utah is BYU's top priority
    - USC may have missed the playoffs last season because of us
    - Stanford has yet to beat us

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I've documented our record against the spread under Kyle in the Pac-12 somewhere on this board. I remember the results as being about what one could expect as an underdog. Our biggest issue is playing too many close games, often as slight favorites. We had 9 games decided by one possession last year. That's simply not a great pattern for huge success.
    so the key to not having this continue is having offensive productivity increase and maintaining g defensive performance. I simply do not see fewer close games because for the most part we are playing teams with equal talent. Teams with talent can put together good games in an otherwise down year. Although we hurt ourselves on both sides of the ball against Oregon and Cal a year ago, those teams played well with basically equal talent and won. Actually, while Utah had better defensive talent than both, they had better offensive talent, particularly dynamic talent.

I think the key to the season is BYU. If you can't beat BYU, you can't go bowling.

Then, if yo beat BYU, the key to the season is Stanford. You have a bye week and USC the week after. The USC game is 99.9% a loss.

If you beat Stanford, you are 5-1 and ranked.

The next key is going 2-1 vs UCLA, WSU, Washington. If you do that, you are 7-2.

That leaves ASU, Colorado and Oregon. 2-1 puts you at 9-3.

Dream season.

Reality? Probably start 5-1. I think Stanford is a little over-rated.

USC - loss
    ASU - win
    Oregon - ???
    UCLA - ???
    WSU - win
    Washington - loss
    Colorado - win

That's 8 wins, two losses. How do the UCLA and Oregon games turn out?

That's the key.
    Last edited by Utah; 07-27-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Fall camp starts today. Congrats friends! We made it.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Fall camp starts today. Congrats friends! We made it.
    Nurse and Carrington cleared to practice. Vickers and Lewis not on the roster yet and are rumored to still be finishing up class work. Expected to join in "a week or two." There's always someone.

I know camp is only one day in, but does anyone else get the sense that the qb battle isn't really a battle? If Bateman is even with Huntley, do you approach Huntley about red shirting? I know there were rumbles that him or maybe some of his family thought he should have done so last year. If I am him, I don't want to redshirt or be QB 3 because you get no practice reps and he wants all the experience he can get before next spring.

Singleton just has bad hamstrings.

I know camp is only one day in, but does anyone else get the sense that the qb battle isn't really a battle? If Bateman is even with Huntley, do you approach Huntley about red shirting?
    What year is Bateman?

I know camp is only one day in, but does anyone else get the sense that the qb battle isn't really a battle?
    I don't think there is a real QB battle going on either, except for the #2 spot. Nor should there be, really. We have a successful, returning senior at QB. Huntley didn't look amazing in his few reps last season, and Bateman was never able to beat anyone out at Bama, even when they were desperate for a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What year is Bateman?
    5th year senior

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    5th year senior
    Yeah, scout team QB. Emergency backup. Move him to defense if he's an athlete. Not much you can do.
    Last edited by sancho; 07-29-2017 at 11:30 AM.

I think you ask Huntley what he wants to do. If he'd rather redshirt than be the backup, then do it. If not, then get him as many backup game snaps as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I think you ask Huntley what he wants to do. If he'd rather redshirt than be the backup, then do it. If not, then get him as many backup game snaps as possible.
    Makes sense to me.

I'd say Huntley is #2 all year unless Bateman and Troy go down.

Play Huntley 10-15 snaps a game, every game. Use him like Urban used Tebow his freshman year.

I think Huntley transfers or graduates after 2019 no matter what, so the RS is irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Huntley is the guy next year no matter what. Play him 10-15 snaps every game.

Singleton just has bad hamstrings.
    Seriously?! That's his "ailment?!" Before camp even starts?! Again?! Good grief!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Seriously?! That's his "ailment?!" Before camp even starts?! Again?! Good grief!

Bad hammy or just lack of desire for fall camp?

Anyways, it's nothing serious. Held out for precautionary reasons.

Bad hammy or just lack of desire for fall camp?

Anyways, it's nothing serious. Held out for precautionary reasons.
    No. He just has extremely tight hamstrings. He is not a slacker.

No. He just has extremely tight hamstrings. He is not a slacker.
    It was a joke. I guess the fact I said it wasn't a big deal didn't clarify that enough.

Scalley talked after practice about who fills in for Chase Hansen while he is out, and he said that for the moment, Ballard is moving to SS and Philip Afia is at FS with Blair in the mix as well. I remember Afia was pretty highly recruited, so hopefully this gives some of these young guys a chance to get some decent reps with the hope that Hansen still makes it back.

Afia looked good in spring ball. We are super thin at safety. We have three with Hansen out.