Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

whatever happened to Alec Dana? Boy was that a lot of wasted hype.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    whatever happened to Alec Dana? Boy was that a lot of wasted hype.
    He's around.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

You hear of him from time to time. Taylor said they will take 8 or more WR's to games.

Carrington, Singleton, Simpkins and Wilson are in.

Nacua and Fulks are in.

That means Thompson, Hampton, Dana, Dixon, etc are battling for the end of roster guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    You hear of him from time to time. Taylor said they will take 8 or more WR's to games.

Carrington, Singleton, Simpkins and Wilson are in.

Nacua and Fulks are in.

That means Thompson, Hampton, Dana, Dixon, etc are battling for the end of roster guys.
    Based on the hype, yuou never would have thought he would be fighting to be 6-8

Based on the hype, yuou never would have thought he would be fighting to be 6-8
    That's true. Maybe that's a good thing. Ha ha.

I'm a little concerned that there might be a divided locker room after the qb decision tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I'm a little concerned that there might be a divided locker room after the qb decision tomorrow.
    Oh boy. I have only heard good things about team chemistry during this fall camp. Would hate to see it end on a sour/divided note.

My son told me that he has heard a rumour this weekend that there is concern that if Huntley is not named the starter he will transfer. fwiw.

My son told me that he has heard a rumour this weekend that there is concern that if Huntley is not named the starter he will transfer. fwiw.
    That would be so dumb. Huntley would have to sit out anyways, and he'd be the #1 guy next year. I don't buy it.

That would be so dumb. Huntley would have to sit out anyways, and he'd be the #1 guy next year. I don't buy it.
    he mivht feel that if he cant win it this year he wont beat out tuttle next year. now or never, he might think. fwiw.

he mivht feel that if he cant win it this year he wont beat out tuttle next year. now or never, he might think. fwiw.
    Always good to remember that the outcomes we care so much about are decided by kids with little experience or decision making skills and with plenty of bad advice coming from all angles.

If he leaves....that's sucks big time. We should be favorites to win the south in 2018, maybe the PAC-12...

IF Huntley is our QB. If it's Tuttle, then take a 10 or 11 win season and add a couple losses.

That's reason enough to start Huntley.

The coaches should start the player that they believe gives us the best chance to win games this year. #UMSHotTakes

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    The coaches should start the player that they believe gives us the best chance to win games this year. #UMSHotTakes
    Totally agree.

It's Huntley. Officially. Williams 2, Bateman 3.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I guess that answers our questions about how much say Troy Taylor has over this offense and personnel. Let's go have ourselves a season!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Ill admit, I was skeptical that the competition was serious. I hope Troy stays ready.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Ill admit, I was skeptical that the competition was serious. I hope Troy stays ready.
    I'm still skeptical! I guess it's real, but part of me will be surprised to see Huntley start in a week. I mean, we have an experienced senior. Seems a bit foolish to pass on that.

So is this the long term?

2017: Huntley with an experienced back-up, gonna be a tough season either way.
    2018: Huntley with experience, set up to be a great season. Tuttle redshirt. Shelley back-up.
    2019: Huntley as a senior, Tuttle back-up?
    2020: Tuttle starts as redshirt sophomore.

I wonder if Tuttle likes this timeline?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm still skeptical! I guess it's real, but part of me will be surprised to see Huntley start in a week. I mean, we have an experienced senior. Seems a bit foolish to pass on that.

2018: Huntley with experience, set up to be a great season. Tuttle redshirt. Shelley back-up.

DJ and PK were speculating this am about whether it would affect Tuttle's commitment. the timeline would be the same if Williams started this year and huntley next year, but if Tuttle was planning to beat out huntley next year b/c Huntley was little experienced, or even Huntley's senior year, that may affect the calculus. On the other hand, Huntley beat out a senior this year, albeit with no experience in Taylor's system

I think Tuttle has known since the day he committed that he would have two years competing with/backing up Huntley, so I am sure he is fine with things. I am also skeptical that a guy Huntley's size and so prone to run can last a full season. Time will tell.

In other news, the AP Poll is out:

#4 USC
    #8 Washington
    #14 Stanford
    #24 Wazzu

Looks like the Coaches took us over Wazzu and the AP went the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I'm officially surprised.

Stanford is so overrated. Worst QB in the PAC-12, they lost their best player ever and maybe the best college football player ever and they will be better this year?

Oh, and their schedule was piece of cake last year and will be tougher this year.

Stanford is an 8 win team.

I doubt this affects Tuttle at all. True freshman QB's suck. You don't want to be a true freshman QB.

He will start as a RS Freshman or RS Sophomore, which is perfect for a QB.

Stanford is so overrated. Worst QB in the PAC-12, they lost their best player ever and maybe the best college football player ever and they will be better this year?

Oh, and their schedule was piece of cake last year and will be tougher this year.

Stanford is an 8 win team.
    Stanford has consistently brought in top talent. They are in a re-load mode, especially on the lines.

Stanford has consistently brought in top talent. They are in a re-load mode, especially on the lines.
    Absolutely. How many programs can say 8 wins is a down year? It's impressive. But 14th? No way.

I know a lot of people are siting the selection of Huntley as QB as further evidence that KW has changed his philosophy. I will wait to make that determination when the following event occurs. Utah has the ball and is up by 4 with 5 or fewer minutes left in the game and the offense has the ball but does not try to win the game by running the ball, burning clock and then punting to pin the opposition deep in its own territory. Instead, the offense attacks the opposition and scores a TD with 2 minutes left to go up by 11. Another thing I will be interested to see is how KW responds if the Utes go into halftime trailing BYU or Arizona 14-10 or 10-7 and Huntley has thrown two interceptions, including a pick 6.

I know a lot of people are siting the selection of Huntley as QB as further evidence that KW has changed his philosophy. I will wait to make that determination when the following event occurs. Utah has the ball and is up by 4 with 5 or fewer minutes left in the game and the offense has the ball but does not try to win the game by running the ball, burning clock and then punting to pin the opposition deep in its own territory. Instead, the offense attacks the opposition and scores a TD with 2 minutes left to go up by 11. Another thing I will be interested to see is how KW responds if the Utes go into halftime trailing BYU or Arizona 14-10 or 10-7 and Huntley has thrown two interceptions, including a pick 6.
    This is true. I hope he sticks with Huntley. We have seen Troy, and it was awful. It was a failure. We should have won the south, if not the PAC-12 last year. And we fell on our faces because our passing game was terrible. It's time to do better.

I don't get why everyone is so enamored with Troy.

Utah has the ball and is up by 4 with 5 or fewer minutes left in the game and the offense has the ball but does not try to win the game by running the ball, burning clock and then punting to pin the opposition deep in its own territory.
    If we lose that game because the incomplete pass stops the clock for them, does Whitt say he'd rather win by 11 than by 4 in the post game?