Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    i don't know. if he only plays a similar amount to last year, it is another wasted year of eligibility
    you would think they would want to get him a lot more experience than last year. he is not wasting a year of eligibility, because he is not going to redshirt this year and then play ahead of tuttle for two years. i cant imagine tuttle redshirts next year.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    isnt bateman a graduate senior? last yeaf of eligibility? next year Huntley, shelley and tuttle? or am i wrong?
    Yeah, I'm not advocating for Bateman, just saying that he has some game experience.

This isn't the 1980's. Huntley playing or red shirting is irrelevant.

He will play here next year as our starter. If Tuttle wins the job, we are screwed. Then, the following year he and Tuttle battle for the spot.

If Tuttle wins the job, Huntley transfers as a SR. If Huntley wins the job, he plays as a SR.

2019 is Huntley's last year here RS or not, IMO.

Lastly, our schedule SUCKS this year. It is SOOoOoOoOO hard.

But, next year, our schedule gets a lot easier. Darnold, Browning, Falk, Rosen are all gone. We need Huntley ready to play. We have a real shot to be the best team in the south in 2018.

Starting Tuttle next fall would SUCK. We need Huntley to win the south in 2018. Play the kid this year.

you would think they would want to get him a lot more experience than last year. he is not wasting a year of eligibility, because he is not going to redshirt this year and then play ahead of tuttle for two years. i cant imagine tuttle redshirts next year.
    Agree. If he wants to start here, he should be the backup this season. QBs usually don't get 4 years of play, so it's hard to think of it as a wasted year. Plus, unfortunately, QB injuries are pretty common.

Also, it sounds like Huntley has a real shot at winning the job this fall.

I'd bet Tuttle RS's and then comes out firing for the job in 2019.

True freshman QB's suck. RS freshman are a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I'd bet Tuttle RS's and then comes out firing for the job in 2019.

True freshman QB's suck. RS freshman are a lot better.
    if he redshirts, shelly is the backup. you willing to live with that? i dont think tuttle stsrts, but i think he doesnt redshirt either. he starts the following year.
    Last edited by concerned; 08-15-2017 at 11:25 PM.

if he redshirts, shelly is the backup. you willing to live with that? i dont think tuttle stsrts, but i think he doesnt redshirt either. he starts the following year.
    Fair point. The good thing about Redshirts is they aren't decided until the season ends. So, if Huntley goes down for a extended period of time, Tuttle plays. If Huntley stays healthy (or only misses a quarter or a game), then you don't play Tuttle and he RS's at season's end.

Also, I think we bring in a JC guy next year, especially if Tuttle signs in December. Then we go out and get a JC guy or a grad transfer (like Bateman) to be our backup QB.

Also, also, Shelley is small, but he has talent. He will have a whole year playing. I wouldn't be sad if he won the backup job and Tuttle RS'ed. He has the raw talent to do so.

Your 2017 team captains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Your 2017 team captains.

Someone should tell Mitch to look at the ball when he's punting.

Whit announced today that they expect Chase to be back practicing inside of a week.

Whit announced today that they expect Chase to be back practicing inside of a week.
    Also said that Lo might be back by North Dakota. And Whit isn't worried about the kicking game.

Injury reports and kicking game good feels? Whit has been abducted.

Also said that Lo might be back by North Dakota. And Whit isn't worried about the kicking game.

Injury reports and kicking game good feels? Whit has been abducted.
    In the spirit of Rick Majerus, someone in the media needs to ask him which kicker he prefers...and ask the following way: "So would you say you are a big Gay guy?"
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Lo was in pads today, and has been in pads earlier. Johnston looked good today, Gay was shaky. Johnston has a ton of leg, nailed one from about 57 yards, and I think was 5 of 8 on the day, I think with everything being from 45 yards+. Maybe one was from 40.

Spent a little more than an hour at practice today. I'm not exactly the greatest judge of talent, so take this for what it's worth. I thought Williams looked really good; he's composed, made good decisions, took care of the ball, and made some nice completions. He didn't do anything spectacular, but consistently looked good.

You can see why the coaches are intrigued by Huntley. He's just so dynamic out there, his escapability is through the roof. However, as has been noted elsewhere, he has very happy feet and leaves the pocket really early. Although to his credit he did complete a nice pass on the run today. He threw a pick where Blackmon made a great read and jumped the route. I also thought Huntley looked the best in the goal line drills, although Williams was effective in them, too. I'm optimistic about the red zone offense.

Bateman probably had the longest completion of the day, on a nice TD to Singleton. Was just a bit underthrown, but was a good job putting the ball where only Singleton could get it. He threw a bad pick to Blair, where I don't think Bateman saw him.

Jaylon Johnson got burned once, but he was in man coverage the whole time, and looks really good out there. Blackmon looked great; I think we'll be OK there.

Moss looked pretty good, but they weren't tackling, so he got blown down on a few runs between the tackles where he probably could have sprung the run normally.

Johnston looked solid today; he was much better in the early session before the media showed up. I think he made 3/4 in that session, and they were all long. He made one from about 57 yards out.

Thanks Scratch!

Thanks Scratch!
    Ditto

By the way, Shelley got one or two series and he looked good out there. Really quick and elusive, and he threw a great pass to Dixon for a TD. May have been the best pass of the day.

Anyone writing Shelley off as a QB is doing so very prematurely.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Wilner game-by-game prediction for Utes:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/1...-game-by-game/
    The loss to ASU is a realistic prediction as we tend to lose one game a year to a sub .500 team

Falemaka is back at center.

Chase Hansen will be eased back into practice next week.

Tyrone Smith is out for the season with an ankle injury (he has a redshirt)

OL is Barton, Paulo, Falemaka, Agasiva and Uahtafe

QB announcement Monday

Vickers will not join the team

Above all per Bill Riley

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    The loss to ASU is a realistic prediction as we tend to lose one game a year to a sub .500 team
    ASU is the P12 version of Air Force: no matter how bad they are, they give us problems and lose to them more often than it seems like we should.

I think ASU surprises this year. Their QB was fantastic last year and might be the best PAC-12 QB after Darnold and Rosen. That can take you a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I think ASU surprises this year. Their QB was fantastic last year and might be the best PAC-12 QB after Darnold and Rosen. That can take you a long way.
    ??? Browning & Falk are better than he is

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    ??? Browning & Falk are better than he is

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    I thought so too. I was running numbers recently and Wilkins continually was top 3.

Falk is good but throws too many short passes and has a high usage rate.

Browning is hella efficient. Not as accurate, not used very much, not a very strong arm, but when he throws a pass it's for a TD.

I doubt Browning is an NFL starter, but as long as he has a running game he's dangerous.

What Wilkins did statistically last year was impressive. He does throw INT's though.

Like I said, he "might" be the third best QB.

What I found in my numbers is that Darnold and Rosen are heads and shoulders above everyone else.

Tier 2 is Falk, Browning, Wilkins and Herbert.

Tier 3 is Colorado's kid.

A distant tier 4 is Williams.

A even further distant tier 5 is Chryst.

A fun article on how nobody likes playing Utah.

https://www.pacifictakes.com/platfor...play-utah-utes

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    ASU is the P12 version of Air Force: no matter how bad they are, they give us problems and lose to them more often than it seems like we should.

We've covered the spread vs. ASU our last four times out. I would say our 2015 game at home vs. ASU was very AFA-like. ASU would probably say the same about us for the 2013 game.

If we're really going to pin the AFA tail on any team in the league, Oregon State is a far more appropriate comparison.

Or Arizona. They always give us fits. And beat us.