Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    That article is so misinformed. Lol. What a hack job. He has no idea what's going on and then he starts slinging stones.

That is more cougarboard post than anything that should be in a paper.

It's a man on a soapbox flailing wildly.
    If you read the comments. He knows exactly who is audience is and stays right in line with them.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    If you read the comments. He knows exactly who is audience is and stays right in line with them.
    If the world ever collapses in on itself, I truly believe that it will be because of the comment sections in the Des News and Tribune. Not that ill care what the cause was.....

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I forget Doug is still with the D News until he writes one of these and gets everyone riled up. Really crappy Gordon Monson wanna be.
    Lol.

If the world ever collapses in on itself, I truly believe that it will be because of the comment sections in the Des News and Tribune. Not that ill care what the cause was.....
    Yes. They are quite the contrast to be sure...and also terrible. Whenever my faith in humanity is being restored, I make sure I go to the comments section of the trib just to remind myself who is out there.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Yes. They are quite the contrast to be sure...and also terrible. Whenever my faith in humanity is being restored, I make sure I go to the comments section of the trib just to remind myself who is out there.
    *Story about a butterfly exhibit in West Jordan*

Commentor: 'This is just another reminder of how LD$ INC is COMPLETELY RUINING MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!'

haha...that's funny.

Seriously, though, I see "those" comments pretty much on all articles on ESPN, Facebook, DN, ST, and many other media. I really don't read many of those anymore. In the end, it's just human stupidity. People are often selfish, ignorant, close-minded, and only see only what they want. Plus, there are so many bots on social media -- a lot of crap. Idiocy does not discriminate.

Are practices open to the public?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Are practices open to the public?
    Nope. Only time any practices are open are select spring practices.

Media can only attend last 20 minutes of practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Nope. Only time any practices are open are select spring practices.

Media can only attend last 20 minutes of practice.

From the recent reports, all they get to see is special teams.

From the recent reports, all they get to see is special teams.
    Not really true.

A practice earlier this week was a limited practice (the new NCAA rules have changed the way the U practices, some practices are limited now)

By the time the media availability window came special teams was the only portion left.

Yesterday they saw live stuff, Young picking off Williams was on video.

Not really true.

A practice earlier this week was a limited practice (the new NCAA rules have changed the way the U practices, some practices are limited now)

By the time the media availability window came special teams was the only portion left.

Yesterday they saw live stuff, Young picking off Williams was on video.

Well, that's what the Utecast folks have been mentioning the last few days. Maybe they just show up late, who knows.

Well, that's what the Utecast folks have been mentioning the last few days. Maybe they just show up late, who knows.
    No offense to those guys, but I personally don't really consider that to be 'media'.

I'm going to stick with Lynn Worthy, Chris Kamrani, Dirk Facer, Josh Furlong etc

No offense to those guys, but I personally don't really consider that to be 'media'.

I'm going to stick with Lynn Worthy, Chris Kamrani, Dirk Facer, Josh Furlong etc

Ha. Fair point. I agree.

So I was listening to Taylor say that he wanted the offenses aggressiveness in the game to match the aggressiveness of the defense and it got me thinking that Utah doesn't really play aggressive defensively at the end of games. We were so soft in coverage against Oregon that they just marched down the field. How often does that happen? I would say on a fairly regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    So I was listening to Taylor say that he wanted the offenses aggressiveness in the game to match the aggressiveness of the defense and it got me thinking that Utah doesn't really play aggressive defensively at the end of games. We were so soft in coverage against Oregon that they just marched down the field. How often does that happen? I would say on a fairly regular basis.
    Think of the BYU game last year. It often seems like we want to let the opposing team get to the red zone so we can set up a "backs to the wall" stand there.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Arizona players love playing Utah.

https://twitter.com/JJSportsBeat/sta...20795729252353

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Think of the BYU game last year. It often seems like we want to let the opposing team get to the red zone so we can set up a "backs to the wall" stand there.
    Ya, you're right. Utah is so good, that when they lose it's because they only ever beat themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Ya, you're right. Utah is so good, that when they lose it's because they only ever beat themselves.
    Very funny. I'll thank you to allow me to complain about our head coach without your help!

--Yeats

McCormick to split time at WR and RB.

Josh Nurse moved to Safety.

Jake Jackson to TE

Alani Havili-Katoa from DL to OL.

Lewis officially pushed to January. Vickers with a drop dead date of this Friday.

McCormick to split time at WR and RB.

Josh Nurse moved to Safety.

Jake Jackson to TE

Alani Havili-Katoa from DL to OL.
    Also, Tereke Lewis has been bumped to January. Vickers has until the end of the week to show up before the program moves on. Lewis seemed to have passed his class last week, so having to wait until January seems surprising. Not sure what's been holding Vickers up.

I just listened to a podcast interview by Bill Riley of Ben Criddle. It's really quite wonderful. After listening to Ben for a while my thought was "Bless his heart." My favorite part was his comment about "the magic pixie dust" on Tanner Mangum's passes.

--Yeats

I just listened to a podcast interview by Bill Riley of Ben Criddle. It's really quite wonderful. After listening to Ben for a while my thought was "Bless his heart." My favorite part was his comment about "the magic pixie dust" on Tanner Mangum's passes.
    Bill was on Ben's show a week or two ago and now it sounds like Ben is returning the favor. Ben is another in a long line of over the top homers for BYU who gets to 'cover' the team. I honestly don't know who a person like Bill could turn to to get a real, honest take of the cougars. Brandon Gurney? I honestly dont know.

Fun to watch -- Jordan Howard gets a scholie.

https://www.facebook.com/UtahUtesFoo...0599091633504/

--Yeats

Fun to watch -- Jordan Howard gets a scholie.

https://www.facebook.com/UtahUtesFoo...0599091633504/

That's awesome. I could watch it a thousand times. Thanks.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

So I was thinking about this QB competition. With camp the length that it is, I don't think it is hurting the preparation for the season. Last year Troy played hurt because, as Whit said yesterday, Huntley was too careless with the ball. I believe the coaches are giving Huntley a good, long look to determine whether he has gotten that out of his system and they can really trust him this year and moving forward. This is a great opportunity for him to show the coaches that, regardless of Jack Tuttle, he is the man going forward.

I like Bateman and I think the Utes can win with him at QB. When Troy is eventually named the starter. It will be interesting to see if Huntley is given the opportunity to redshirt. If I'm Huntley I don't. I take the No. 2 reps and get ready to claim the starting job next spring.

When Wynn was a true freshman and was competing with Louks and Terrance Cain for the position. There came a time in fall camp when the coaches decided that Wynn was the clear No. 2. Most of the offensive coaches believed he was the clear No. 1, but Whit was not convinced and Cain was the starter until game 7 or 8. Anyway, the coaches sat down with Wynn and told him that he was the clear No. 2 and that he could decide whether he wanted to be the No. 2 or redshirt. They gave him the weekend to talk with family and others and he came back on a Monday and said he was good to go. Louks was given the word that he was No. 3 and he tried safety for a couple of practices and then transferred.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    So I was thinking about this QB competition. With camp the length that it is, I don't think it is hurting the preparation for the season. Last year Troy played hurt because, as Whit said yesterday, Huntley was too careless with the ball. I believe the coaches are giving Huntley a good, long look to determine whether he has gotten that out of his system and they can really trust him this year and moving forward. This is a great opportunity for him to show the coaches that, regardless of Jack Tuttle, he is the man going forward.

I like Bateman and I think the Utes can win with him at QB. When Troy is eventually named the starter. It will be interesting to see if Huntley is given the opportunity to redshirt. If I'm Huntley I don't. I take the No. 2 reps and get ready to claim the starting job next spring.

When Wynn was a true freshman and was competing with Louks and Terrance Cain for the position. There came a time in fall camp when the coaches decided that Wynn was the clear No. 2. Most of the offensive coaches believed he was the clear No. 1, but Whit was not convinced and Cain was the starter until game 7 or 8. Anyway, the coaches sat down with Wynn and told him that he was the clear No. 2 and that he could decide whether he wanted to be the No. 2 or redshirt. They gave him the weekend to talk with family and others and he came back on a Monday and said he was good to go. Louks was given the word that he was No. 3 and he tried safety for a couple of practices and then transferred.
    doesnt the staff want huntley no 2? if he redshirts we have no qb with any experience next year.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    doesnt the staff want huntley no 2? if he redshirts we have no qb with any experience next year.
    Bateman has experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Bateman has experience.
    isnt bateman a graduate senior? last yeaf of eligibility? next year Huntley, shelley and tuttle? or am i wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    i don't know. if he only plays a similar amount to last year, it is another wasted year of eligibility