Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I thought that the feeling was that Taylor doesn't use the TE very much, that's why we had the Washington kid decommit after the hire.
    That is what I thought too

I thought that the feeling was that Taylor doesn't use the TE very much, that's why we had the Washington kid decommit after the hire.
    I don't think he is looking for a traditional TE to line up on the line to provide blocking support. He wants a guy who can flex out and be a big target in the pass game. It will be interesting to see how he uses these guys this year as they are both capable of doing what I think he wants.

I was told that he used a lot of TE's at Folsom and didn't at EWU because they didn't have any.

I went back and looked at their WR/TE and they are all the same size (six ft, 180-200 lbs).

Two of their top 4 receivers were 180 lbs, two were bigger and played LB'er as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens this fall. I trust the TE's a lot more than our WR's.

But, it appears that Utah has offered 5 TE's for 2018 and 39 WR's, so I may be up in the night here.

The good news is, we will find out in 30 some odd days.

This is the pre-season depth chart. Some surprises. Kenric Young for one. Who is the one offensive player and one defensive player that we cannot afford to lose for extended time? For me, defense is Chase Hansen. He is the glue and I don't think we have a backup close to his level. On offense I say Shyne. I don't trust Moss to hit the right hole or hold onto the ball.

I agree with Hansen. I'd say #2 is Luafatasaga on defense.

Offensively, I'd say Uhatafe. We need an OL leader out there. If Barton and Uhatafe can stay healthy all year, I think our OL will be very good.

I agree with your Shyne/Moss assessment, but feel better about the RB's after watching DHC play. He's good. Really good.

Lots of innuendo Tweets from the Utah recruiting guys. My guess is that Carrington is officially a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrington confirmation this morning.

Apparently there is a grad-transfer OL from Cal who is also looking at the Utes and Colorado. Could have a nice few adds right here as camp starts.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

How bout that! WRs always welcome.

I don't think we are quite there yet. I understand there needs to be final approval from Dr. Hill.

So, basically, if we can't beat them, let's recruit their throw-aways? Oregon, and now Cal. haha

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I don't think we are quite there yet. I understand there needs to be final approval from Dr. Hill.
    Well, that could get embarrassing.

Josh Nurse is also a go. I heard him being interviewed on the radio today by Bill Reilly.

He and Ballard were teammates at Blinn.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Josh Nurse is also a go. I heard him being interviewed on the radio today by Bill Reilly.

He and Ballard were teammates at Blinn.
    Reilly interviewed Dan Sorensen as well and he said quite a few teams came in late on Nurse (UCLA, Boise St., among others).

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Carrington's father sent an email tonight saying Darren is transferring to Utah. He thanks Kyle and Chris Hill for the opportunity in the email so if sounds like that hurdle is cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Carrington's father sent an email tonight saying Darren is transferring to Utah. He thanks Kyle and Chris Hill for the opportunity in the email so if sounds like that hurdle is cleared.

I think this can be a season changing addition for the Utes. I can see it going one of two ways. The kid comes in and puts his nose to the grindstone and works his tail off, winning the admiration of his teammates or he comes in with a lot of talent and a prima dona attitude and takes some of the young guys on the wrong path. I hope it is the former. I remember when Josh Gordon transferred to Utah. He arrived in late September just in time to make the cut-off for the second session of Fall semester. One day at practice, KW comments to me. We have never had a cat like that at Utah and he was right. Gordon had all of the tools and it seemed so easy for him. The problem was that he brought his posse with him from Baylor. He didn't want to go to class and didn't think that was required. He and his posse thought they could just continue with the old things. As you will recall, he declared for the draft in January. It was a no brainer for him because he was quietly dismissed from the team in November. Fortunately, he did not have a detrimental effect on other players.

Pac 12 Media Poll is out...Utes picked 2nd in the South

USC picked to win the whole thing.

South:

USC 309
    Utah 220
    UCLA 209
    Colorado 182
    ASU 109
    Arizona 61

North:

Washington 309
    Stanford 247
    WSU 206
    Oregon 163
    OSU 101
    Cal 64

Those look pretty accurate to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm all for a guy (Carrington) getting a 2nd chance, but this looks more like a 3rd, 4th or 5th chance. I'll give KW the benefit of the doubt, but this seems sketchy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I'm all for a guy (Carrington) getting a 2nd chance, but this looks more like a 3rd, 4th or 5th chance. I'll give KW the benefit of the doubt, but this seems sketchy to me.
    Some times a change of venue is more productive than just another chance. I think this gives Carrington a fresh start. I'm sure that Whittingham and Hill made it very clear that he only gets one shot.

Some times a change of venue is more productive than just another chance. I think this gives Carrington a fresh start. I'm sure that Whittingham and Hill made it very clear that he only gets one shot.
    Im also betting that they learned from the Josh Gordon situatiion and a condition for acceptance is that he needs to ditch any negative influences in his entourage.

Utah, second in the south, fourth overall.

That usually means about 8 wins. Seems about right.

I think Stanford may be a little overrated but who do you bump up to knock them down?

I think USC and Washington both have 10+ wins.

I think Stanford, Utah, UCLA, WSU and Oregon make up tier two. They all have 7 to 9 wins.

ASU and OSU are tier three, with 5 to 7 wins.

Arizona and Cal have 3 to 5 wins.

I think the "spoiler" team this year is OSU. If their JC QB pans out, I could see them getting 6 or 7 wins and wrecking a couple team's seasons.

So, who, if offered, would take 2nd in the south right now? I can't decide. I think I would.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So, who, if offered, would take 2nd in the south right now? I can't decide. I think I would.
    If it was 9 wins and second, in a heartbeat. This schedule is so hard. Second in the south might be a three way tie with 7 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    In a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    If it was 9 wins and second, in a heartbeat. This schedule is so hard. Second in the south might be a three way tie with 7 wins.
    Your first scenario would (likely) mean 6-3 with a loss to USC. Provided Troy goes 7-2 or better in league games, the scenarios that would exist for another November collapse would be slim. I'm very much OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Pac 12 Media Poll is out...Utes picked 2nd in the South

USC picked to win the whole thing.

South:

USC 309
    Utah 220
    UCLA 209
    Colorado 182
    ASU 109
    Arizona 61

North:

Washington 309
    Stanford 247
    WSU 206
    Oregon 163
    OSU 101
    Cal 64
    One team beneath us will vastly exceed preseason expectations. My pick is Arizona, which may have had the worst year from an injury perspective than any team since the league went to 12 teams. If they're healthy, they win 7, minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    One team beneath us will vastly exceed preseason expectations. My pick is Arizona, which may have had the worst year from an injury perspective than any team since the league went to 12 teams. If they're healthy, they win 7, minimum.
    Dunno, Rich Rod said this morning he has 50 new players this season. That's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Apparently there is a grad-transfer OL from Cal who is also looking at the Utes and Colorado. Could have a nice few adds right here as camp starts.
    Any more news on the grad transfer OL from Cal?? We need him desperately. Here's my assessment of the O-line:

LT - Jackson Barton; solid starter but hasn't played starter minutes. Not a mean guy, good in pass protection but won't wear down defenses like Bolles did. Overall we're weaker at LT.
    LG - Darrin Paulo; highly recruited, but worries me he hasn't seen any playing time up until now and now all of the sudden we're relying on him to be full time starter.
    C - Lo Falemaka; solid but has not been durable to say the least. Will likely miss games due to injury.
    RG - Jordan Agasiva; unknown, highly recruited, should be okay, but JC guys who don't have Spring ball often get injured.
    RT - Salesi Uhatafe; solid, but new position.

Backups - Johnny Capra, Kyle Lanterman, Paul Toala, Orlando Umana, Scott Peck....all of these worry me. What are the chances our 5 starters make it the entire season without injury? The only season I can recall where all 5 offensive linemen made it the full season without injury was 2004 and that was after Boone was lost for the season in fall practices if I remember correctly.

How did we get in this position?? This reminds me of 2011 where we started a late transfer who wasn't even on the last roster update at LT, Miles Mason. He's still not on the 2011 roster on wikipedia. I thought we would have had this figured out by now.

Shout out to UtahsMrSports...hey buddy!

Our OL is fine. Be glad Paulo hasn't played yet. Coaches say he may be the best guard we've ever had.

Harding has said Barton was good enough to start last year. LT is fine.

We have more talent overall on the OL than we've ever had. We just lack experience. The talent is there.

Harding likes the OL and Taylor has said the Ol will be the best unit on the offense.

Worry about WR's and CB and QB.

We are great everywhere else.