Thread: Utah vs North Dakota - The Hawkwardly Early Thread

Hybrid View

FWIW…

The Big Sky is tweeting out pre-season all conference selections and our Week 1 opponent has a few we might want to keep an eye on:

Deion Harris – CB
    Cole Reves – S – Also named pre-season defensive player of the year after being named DPOY last year.
    John Santiago – RB, KR
    Demon Taylor – OG
    Brady Oliveria – RB
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    FWIW…

The Big Sky is tweeting out pre-season all conference selections and our Week 1 opponent has a few we might want to keep an eye on:

.....Cole Reves – S – Also named pre-season defensive player of the year after being named DPOY last year......
    For fun I watched You Tube clips of about 5 ND games from last season. Cole Reves is a freakin' do-it-all studmuffin. Huntley better not fall asleep on this kid.

They're returning some nice talent. On paper, they'll be a more difficult opener than SUU last year.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

GAME DAY!

I am always trepadatious about any game, but this one strikes me as particularly troublesome. A ranked FCS team with most of their offense returning versus a young secondary and ENTIRE offense for us. We should win (and we will), but can someone please pay attention to FCS scheduling in the future? The rules:

1. Don't schedule freaking FCS teams!
    2. If you do, everyone knows the game is just to make money so by all means DO NOT SCHEDULE A 'GOOD' FCS TEAM!
    3. If you must schedule FCS, schedule SUU, or Weber, or CEU, or Utah State. They are local, and local is the new black.

Things I'm interested in (in an otherwise uninteresting game):

1. How do the young dbs look? ND doesn't throw as much as a PAC-12 team, but I'm sure they will test the dbs. If they struggle, don't burn the house down, but it might be a long year in conference.
    2. Can the O-Line sustain pass protection? I think the young O-line is a big reason that Huntley won the job. Much like Taysom for BYU last year, he might not be the best passer but he can do other things when pass protection breaks down. I would be surprised if the O-line can gel this early, but I hope for some signs that it is coming.
    3. D-line depth: we have a great starting four, but behind them there is potential but little experience.
    4. Is this the year of the TE for Utah football, given that our two best returning pass catchers play TE? (NO, it's never the year for the TE in Utah football).
    5. Can Huntley stretch the field vertically? He will be dangerous if he can keep defenses honest with his arm. If he is a glorified RB, trouble.
    6. What will Zion's Bank do this year for in-between timeout entertainment?
    7. Young guys: Nacua, Tupai, J Johnson, etc. Lot's of hype; how do they look when they get actual game minutes?
    8. Do we have a kicker or do we decide to go for everything that is 4th and less than 20 inside the 30?
    9. What is it like not to have a RB that can take any carry to the house?
    10. FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!