Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utah vs North Dakota - The Hawkwardly Early Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    We've already seen that Moss can move the ball against the PAC 12. He was a stellar freshman last year. But what are the odds that he'll get injured like last year? That's what I'm worried about. If he stays healthy, he'll be good enough or better than good enough.
    I don' remember him being stellar last year. In fact, I think he got out-Shyne'd. I am also worried about injuries at the RB spot. We already lost #1 in fall camp, and any more injuries will have some serious impacts.

I worry if we rely on Huntley too much in the run game, he will go down, and then we'll be back to Troy, who won't have a Joe Williams-caliber back to support him.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    At worst, last night showed me we're treading water on offense (and let's be honest -- outside of the red zone, our offense was OK last year). It looked different, and in some ways, it was just as effective. But we need to be able to have success vertically. One pass play over 20 yards ain't cutting it against any level of opposition.

I was skeptical of the move to Huntley, but last night showed me our coaches are very skilled at making the most out of what they have. It was the right move. But true improvement from last year will only come as fast as the O-line will progress. For as much as we run, we have to be able to take deep shots downfield.

We need better production in the red zone. Period. Huntley's running ability will make us more productive in that regard. That's what got him the job over Williams. Even with the all that NFL talent we had on the OL last year, we failed miserably in the red zone.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I worry if we rely on Huntley too much in the run game, he will go down, and then we'll be back to Troy, who won't have a Joe Williams-caliber back to support him.
    I think we can run Huntley as needed precisely because we have Williams and Bateman. How many teams have the luxury of a good, experienced, senior, team captain as a backup QB?

I don' remember him being stellar last year. In fact, I think he got out-Shyne'd. I am also worried about injuries at the RB spot. We already lost #1 in fall camp, and any more injuries will have some serious impacts.

With that big backside, Moss reminds me of Marty Johnson.

Man, there is a lot of separation between Carrington and the other receivers. IMO, Nacua is going to end up being our second best receiver threat this year.

That gay kid from UVU is a pretty good kicker
    Last edited by Two Utes; 09-01-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Carrington makes you realize that the rest of our receivers aren't very good. Man, there is a lot of separation between him and the other receivers. IMO, Nacua is going to end up being our second best receiver threat this year.
    I think the WR corps is good as a group. Carrington is clearly the star. Simpkins and Singleton had great moments last season. Nacua and Wilson both seem to have a lot of potential. We've got a decent about of speed and size.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think the WR corps is good as a group. Carrington is clearly the star. Simpkins and Singleton had great moments last season. Nacua and Wilson both seem to have a lot of potential. We've got a decent about of speed and size.

From this fan's viewpoint, there is Carrington and then a huge drop off. He is in a different league than the others.

From this fan's viewpoint, there is Carrington and then a huge drop off. He is in a different league than the others.
    Time will tell. It will be interesting to see how the other guys develop. I believe Troy McCormick will become a big factor for this team. Teams will try to blanket Carrington leaving other WR more opportunities.

I agree, but I think the whole thing has been elevated.

A few years ago, we had our star who was a late round pick plus a bunch of guys who were not great. Now, we have a star who could be an early round pick plus some guys who might become late round picks or at least be serviceable.

Yep. Singleton was particularly disappointing.

I am not sure the entire corp has been elevated, the attention to carringtion may mask tjeir deficiencies.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-01-2017 at 04:17 PM.

I agree, but I think the whole thing has been elevated.

A few years ago, we had our star who was a late round pick plus a bunch of guys who were not great. Now, we have a star who could be an early round pick plus some guys who might become late round picks or at least be serviceable.
    You give our receivers too much credit, imo. Look what happens when a legitimate pac 12 receiver joins the group: he has 11 catches while the others struggle to get two. Against north Dakota. I think the wrs are, as a whole, underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Finally, as a Big Sky homer, North Dakota is a pretty solid program. They would beat some FCS schools.
    Gosh, I would hope so!
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Your memory is faulty. Their stats were nearly identical, and Moss was a true freshman.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/utah/2016.html

Where was Shyne yesterday, anyway?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Man, there is a lot of separation between Carrington and the other receivers. IMO, Nacua is going to end up being our second best receiver threat this year.
    Swish! Last season after the Oregon game I said that Oregon beat us because it has better players. Because of that comment, LAUte vilified me for months.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    You give our receivers too much credit, imo. Look what happens when a legitimate pac 12 receiver joins the group: he has 11 catches while the others struggle to get two. Against north Dakota. I think the wrs are, as a whole, underwhelming.
    You think I'm singing their praises, but I'm just saying this supporting group is better than the supporting group Dres Anderson had.

I do agree with concerned. I've never seen much out of Singleton.

Your memory is faulty. Their stats were nearly identical, and Moss was a true freshman.

If you dont know where Shyne was, you need to turn in your fan card or get int
    the game. You have outed yourself

Huntley made a few throws yesterday that Troy never made last year.

Huntley did miss two guys deep yesterday that Troy probably completes for TD's

If Huntley can figure those deep throws out, then it's not close with Troy.

Troy was 57% vs SUU. Huntley was 72% vs a much better ND team.

Huntley is the better QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Huntley made a few throws yesterday that Troy never made last year.
    I'm excited for Huntley, too, but what throws are you talking about? He mostly completed short, easy passes.

I don't know if comparing completion percentages is very meaningful since the offensive approach is quite different.

You think I'm singing their praises, but I'm just saying this supporting group is better than the supporting group Dres Anderson had.

I do agree with concerned. I've never seen much out of Singleton.
    We completed 23 passes to 9 different receivers last night. Y'all know I'm a fan of spreading out the receptions. Carrington had 10 of the receptions. I think this is good as a model. We want Carrington getting 100 yards, and we want the others to have a few receptions each.

I guess we'll see. If opponents are able to focus on Carrington without worrying about our other WRs, I will have been proven wrong. I think our WRs will be good enough to make our opponents think hard about how to approach Carrington.

Identical stats with a guy who went out mid-season with an ACL tear?

Shyne went down in fall camp, rumored to be a broken arm. He was projected to be the #1 back in camp, with Moss close behind him.

I hope Moss has a breakout year. I just haven't seen anything exceptional from him. . .yet.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Identical stats with a guy who went out mid-season with an ACL tear?

Shyne went down in fall camp, rumored to be a broken arm. He was projected to be the #1 back in camp, with Moss close behind him.

I hope Moss has a breakout year. I just haven't seen anything exceptional from him. . .yet.
    Come on. They were both injured? you don't remember? Look at the stats. ALmost the same number of carries and yards per carry.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Swish! Last season after the Oregon game I said that Oregon beat us because it has better players. Because of that comment, LAUte vilified me for months.
    And you deserved it!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'm excited for Huntley, too, but what throws are you talking about? He mostly completed short, easy passes.

I don't know if comparing completion percentages is very meaningful since the offensive approach is quite different.
    This twitter link has picture of Tyler's sidearm throw:

https://twitter.com/holli_alexa/stat...26963327229954

I do believe he had another side arm throw as well to get the ball around a defender to the reciever.

Tyler's dump off to Moss when he could have run it.

Tyler had a 13 yard throw to Carrington where he was flushed out of the pocket, he tucked it to run then he tossed it to Carrington.

Just little things like that.

To be fair to Troy, Huntley had a couple of big completions on third and long, where Utah would have run it in the last. But, maybe ARod didn't trust TW enough to make that play call.

Come on. They were both injured? you don't remember? Look at the stats. ALmost the same number of carries and yards per carry.
    I had forgotten that Moss had some sort of nagging injury. He played in 10 games, compared to Shyne's 5. Of course, after Joe Williams came back and started running like a future NFL draft pick, Moss only got mop up duty. Perhaps that's why I don't remember Moss' performance last year as being "stellar".

I had forgotten that Moss had some sort of nagging injury. He played in 10 games, compared to Shyne's 5. Of course, after Joe Williams came back and started running like a future NFL draft pick, Moss only got mop up duty. Perhaps that's why I don't remember Moss' performance last year as being "stellar".
    I remember that he showed lots of promise before Joe came back.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

If you think there was any such ting as mop up duty last season after Joe Williams got going, you need to turn in your fan card or get int the game. You have outed yourself.

The fact is that Moss played hurt, and Shyne never did play hurt, and Moss is a year younger, and their stats were nearly identical in yards, yards per carry, etc. The only reason Williams came back was that both Moss and Shyne were injured.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

If you think there was any such ting as mop up duty last season after Joe Williams got going, you need to turn in your fan card or get int the game. You have outed yourself.

The fact is that Moss played hurt, and Shyne never did play hurt, and Moss is a year younger, and their stats were nearly identical in yards, yards per carry, etc. The only reason Williams came back was that both Moss and Shyne were injured.
    Another fact: Shyne beat out Moss for the starting job last season and again this off-season. I'm fine with Moss, but Shyne has been better.

Since we won't see Shyne this year we can be happy to remember Moss putting 100+ yards vs USC.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Since we won't see Shyne this year we can be happy to remember Moss putting 100+ yards vs USC.
    True! It's moss time.

Because I don't want you to sound like a Zoob when a Zoob tells you why they think they have a shot this weekend:

What to say when a BYU fan says they are proud of their defense vs LSU:

Let’s look at their good defense, shall we?

LSU was 50% on third down efficiency. Not a sign of good defense.

LSU had 479 yards of offense. That sucks for BYU…but then again, they said our offense sucked vs ND and we had 499 yards of total offense…so at least they are consistent.

LSU’s QB went 15/18 (83%) for 10 yards per attempt. That is not good defense.

LSU ran for 296 yards. 2 hundred and nintey freaking six yards.

Finally, LSU held the ball for almost 42 minutes.

What a great freaking defensive showing. LOL.

Then toss in that Canada said he used LESS than 10% of LSU’s playbook? LSU freaking FCS’ed BYU. lol.

Hard to get a feel for the Y's defense from lsu. Lsu only ran about 3 plays-- between the tackles, the fly sweep, and the safe passes. They didnt try to spread it around, just pounded up tbe middle play after play. Their qb is immobile, and doesnt run a read option. They didnt really bother to test the Y defense or its speed sideline to to sideline. We dont have an rb like gueis, and our o line won't be as strong, but our offense will be very different from lsu's, and present a lot of different issues for them--misdirection and the qb keeper for one, and rhe quick pass to carringonr for another. Can the Y safeties continue to play as deep as they did last night?
    Last edited by concerned; 09-03-2017 at 10:41 PM.