Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utah vs North Dakota - The Hawkwardly Early Thread

Utah vs North Dakota - The Hawkwardly Early Thread

Well, we are under 100 days...heck, under 90 days until we take on North Dakota. And I think this is the perfect team for us to open up against. Where they are strong is where we want to be tested, and where they are weak is where we want to practice our attack.

Their strengths: DL, CB
    Their weaknesses: OL, S

Average/irrelevant: the rest of the positions.

They have a weak OL. They currently have zero set starters at OL, and there is a chance they will start 3-5 freshmen at OL. North Dakota is a team that heavily relies on the run game for their offense. With their inexperienced OL, they will not score much. But, it's a great game for us. It gives Kylie Fitts a chance to get reacclimatized to playing in a game, lets us rotate 10-12 guys, and lets our CB's get game reps without overtaxing them (they can get reps, get coached, then get ready for more reps).

I'd expect North Dakota to score at most 10 points.

Defensively, their strengths are the CB's and DL. This is perfect for us. Our OL will be coming together. Now, I don't think our OL is as worrisome as some do (we have talent and three guys who have started games, although Falemaka only has one start I believe), but this will be a great first game for them. They can have some talented guys line up across from them, but not so talented that they could become overwhelmed.

Our OL will have a great practice/warmup session vs their DL.

I like that their CB's is their strength, but that their weakness is their safeties. This is also perfect for us. It will test our WR's to get off the line of scrimmage, make correct reads, and be productive. BUT, with the weakness at safety, it will allow our QB/WR to attack the field after the WR gets off and makes the correct read.

This is the perfect game for us. They are strong where we need work, but not so strong that we'd ever dream of losing the game. Great opening game for us.

IF the offense and WR's can get going, I'd put the score around 50-10.

IF the QB's are the same QB's we have under Whitt, I'd say it's a 35-10 game.

I agree that they'll score 10 points. Probably during garbage time against our third stringers.

I'd be happen if it was 35-10 if we are up 35-0 at the half.

I'd like to see us go from 35-0 at the half to 49-10 at the end of the game and see the second stringers get some work in the third quarter.

Hopefully the fourth quarter is a waste of time for fans (outside those who want to break down our third string OLine)

The big thing for Ute fans is seeing what our offense is going to be like.

In Meyer's first year, as his offense was getting implemented, it didn't look very impressive. My mom: "Is this better than what Mac gave us?"

I expect our fans to be a little disappointed, a little worried going into Week 2 at BYU.

We'll out-talent North Dakota, and have more questions than answers.

I was thinking about that the other night. DC's first two games were 50+ points and then a win at Michigan. I think Wilson was #4 in the country in efficiency.

And then WSU happened.

Maybe stumbling would be a better omen. Lol.

I think ARod was great his first few games as well.

Maybe it has to do with getting your offense on film for DC's to pick apart.

Here is what the writer for The Spectrum in Cedar City has to say about North Dakota in picking them to finish first in the Big Sky:

1. North Dakota

Last season: 8-0 Big Sky, 9-3 overall (co-Big Sky champions)

Here are some of the things the co-Big Sky defending champions return: the Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year (safety Cole Reyes); three first team All-Big Sky selections; nine offensive starters, including quarterback Keaton Studsrud and the two-headed rushing attack of John Santiago and Brady Oliveira; and an All-American duo in the defensive backfield with Reyes and corner Deion Harris.

Yeah, they're going to be good.

If they start three freshmen OL like I've read they might, I don't care how good the rest of their team is.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    If they start three freshmen OL like I've read they might, I don't care how good the rest of their team is.
    Guys who played High School last year vs at least 3 starters who will play on Sundays next year? Scary.

Terrible job of scheduling a cupcake. As much as Utah and his ilk don't want to hear it, this will be a game. We win, perhaps big, but these guys can play. And there are always a few of these games in week 1 which kill a team (App St v. Mich, Wash St. v. Eastern Wash, Oregon State v. Davis or someone like that). If we are going to schedule D-2 (I say no), we need to at least schedule true cupcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Terrible job of scheduling a cupcake. As much as Utah and his ilk don't want to hear it, this will be a game. We win, perhaps big, but these guys can play. And there are always a few of these games in week 1 which kill a team (App St v. Mich, Wash St. v. Eastern Wash, Oregon State v. Davis or someone like that). If we are going to schedule D-2 (I say no), we need to at least schedule true cupcakes.
    I will be there...and I'm not going to watch us lose. I'm there to watch Troy Taylor usher in the new era of Utah offense. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I will be there...and I'm not going to watch us lose. I'm there to watch Troy Taylor usher in the new era of Utah offense. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Yes, the new, new, new, new era of Utah's offensive philosophy will be fun to watch. Personally, I think a high tempo, spread offense is destined to be a failure at Utah, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yes, the new, new, new, new era of Utah's offensive philosophy will be fun to watch. Personally, I think a high tempo, spread offense is destined to be a failure at Utah, but what do I know?
    Not a thing!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Wait, you think a team that will potentially be starting three freshmen OL will score enough to make this a tight game?

Um...ok.

Wait, you think a team that will potentially be starting three freshmen OL will score enough to make this a tight game?

Um...ok.
    Like he pointed out, there are precedents. Every year, someone loses to one of these FCS teams. Sometimes, very good teams lose to one of these FCS teams. I agree with AJ. If we are going to schedule FCS, we ought to schedule the worst of the worst. No credit for beating a good FCS team. If they are picked to win their conference, they probably aren't terrible.

So, yeah, we probably win by 20+. But I put this in the 96% category. Our other recent FCS teams were in the 99.9% category.

I don't know for sure, but I'd assume the teams who beat FBS teams had higher power offenses.

ND is a power run based offense. They are basically us on offense. Run, run, run with a little throwing tossed in.

Offensively, ND is a terrible matchup for us. They have a so-so OL and they want to run it 40+ times a game.

I think it's the perfect game for us.

Their strength is their DL and CB's. It will give our OL a solid test and push our WR's, but we should hold them to next to nothing offensively.

I doubt they get two scores on us. We can put 21 pts on anyone.

Best case, this is a 70 pt beatdown ala Weber St a couple years ago. Worst case, it's a 28-14 type game. Most likely? A 35-45 point game for our offense vs 3-17 points for them.

From Athlon, North Dakota among three teams that could surprise and make a deep FCS playoff run:

North Dakota

Granted, the Fighting Hawks expect to be a top 10 team this season, but they qualify as a dark horse simply because they’ve never won an FCS playoff game. The 2001 Division II national champion made its first FCS playoff appearance last season, falling to Richmond to end a 9-3 season in which the Hawks won a share of the Big Sky title with Eastern Washington. They have a mindset similar to North Dakota State – run the ball and play strong defense, especially against the run. Head coach Bubba Schweigert is replacing five starters on defense, but Cole Reyes and Deion Harris are NFL prospects in the secondary. While quarterback Keaton Studsrud won’t wow anybody, the depth at running back will: juniors John Santiago and Brady Oliveira, and Minnesota transfer James Johannesson.

Um...ok.
    I believe his real point was that anytime you overlook anyone, it can be a close game and starting 3 FR on the OL is a good way to overlook someone.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I believe his real point was that anytime you overlook anyone, it can be a close game and starting 3 FR on the OL is a good way to overlook someone.
    I got that. My point is this:

The fewest points we scored last year was 19 and 20 points.

One was a monsoon and the other had 6 TO's.

They won't score more than twice.

24-14 is the absolute closest that game will be.

FWIW…

The Big Sky is tweeting out pre-season all conference selections and our Week 1 opponent has a few we might want to keep an eye on:

Deion Harris – CB
    Cole Reves – S – Also named pre-season defensive player of the year after being named DPOY last year.
    John Santiago – RB, KR
    Demon Taylor – OG
    Brady Oliveria – RB

I love that they have talent in the secondary. I want to win week one, but be tested as well.

I was looking to see if North Dakota played Eastern Washington last year (they didn't) and found myself looking at the statistics for the two games EWU lost a year ago. At perennial FCS power North Dakota State in the second game of the season, EWU lost 44-50 and lost the turnover battle by throwing 3 ints. In the playoffs against Youngstown State, EWU lost 40-38 and also lost the turnover battle, throwing 2 ints. For the season, EWU threw the ball 620 times and only had 14 ints. A great percentage. Good teams with prolific offenses also lose close games.

Game 1: Bring on the Bison or whoever the hell we're playing

Seems like a chipper enough fellow.
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/pnKzZONwjt8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know your enemy.

https://youtu.be/0q_ZzkJM-Nk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison sounds like a North-Dakota-like mascot. Go with it.

With ND playing a 2-back/1-TE set, we will be playing much more 4-3 than we normally will. Who will be our third LB starter: Barton or Thompson?

Barton with a lot of Thompson mixed in.

Also, I'd bet we see a lot of 5-2 fronts. That is essentially a 3-4 defense with Leki Fotu/Moko being a on LOS MLB and one of our ends being the other "LB".

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    FWIW…

The Big Sky is tweeting out pre-season all conference selections and our Week 1 opponent has a few we might want to keep an eye on:

.....Cole Reves – S – Also named pre-season defensive player of the year after being named DPOY last year......
    For fun I watched You Tube clips of about 5 ND games from last season. Cole Reves is a freakin' do-it-all studmuffin. Huntley better not fall asleep on this kid.

They're returning some nice talent. On paper, they'll be a more difficult opener than SUU last year.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

GAME DAY!

I am always trepadatious about any game, but this one strikes me as particularly troublesome. A ranked FCS team with most of their offense returning versus a young secondary and ENTIRE offense for us. We should win (and we will), but can someone please pay attention to FCS scheduling in the future? The rules:

1. Don't schedule freaking FCS teams!
    2. If you do, everyone knows the game is just to make money so by all means DO NOT SCHEDULE A 'GOOD' FCS TEAM!
    3. If you must schedule FCS, schedule SUU, or Weber, or CEU, or Utah State. They are local, and local is the new black.

Things I'm interested in (in an otherwise uninteresting game):

1. How do the young dbs look? ND doesn't throw as much as a PAC-12 team, but I'm sure they will test the dbs. If they struggle, don't burn the house down, but it might be a long year in conference.
    2. Can the O-Line sustain pass protection? I think the young O-line is a big reason that Huntley won the job. Much like Taysom for BYU last year, he might not be the best passer but he can do other things when pass protection breaks down. I would be surprised if the O-line can gel this early, but I hope for some signs that it is coming.
    3. D-line depth: we have a great starting four, but behind them there is potential but little experience.
    4. Is this the year of the TE for Utah football, given that our two best returning pass catchers play TE? (NO, it's never the year for the TE in Utah football).
    5. Can Huntley stretch the field vertically? He will be dangerous if he can keep defenses honest with his arm. If he is a glorified RB, trouble.
    6. What will Zion's Bank do this year for in-between timeout entertainment?
    7. Young guys: Nacua, Tupai, J Johnson, etc. Lot's of hype; how do they look when they get actual game minutes?
    8. Do we have a kicker or do we decide to go for everything that is 4th and less than 20 inside the 30?
    9. What is it like not to have a RB that can take any carry to the house?
    10. FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!