Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utah vs North Dakota - The Hawkwardly Early Thread

Troy Taylor was a FCS OC last year with a walk on QB. He averaged over 40 pts and 400 yards a game.

ND gave up almost 300 yards a game through the air last year.

Carrington is better than Rupp. Huntley should be better than EWU's QB last year.

I'm not worried. We will be fine.

Next week, I might be worried.

This week? If Taylor can't put up 40+...

We have a kicker!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    We have a kicker!!!

If Chase is a game time decision, why not just let him sit and rest? Don't risk him in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If Chase is a game time decision, why not just let him sit and rest? Don't risk him in this game.
    My guess is that he gets only a few minutes of play today, if any.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Let's go have ourselves a season! Enjoy the ride folks! Football is back!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

My excitement levels are trending up.

This is great from an AP reporter.

Is the game on TV ... oh, that's right the vaunted PAC12 network isn't on DirectTV ... and the Utes open on Thursday night ...

:-)

Not liking this start

Respectable first half

1st game jitters

Penalties

A seasons worth of penalties in one game. $%</&
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

There were some lame calls

Quick thoughts from tonight:

1. Carrington. Real.
    2. Other wideouts - did they gain more total yards than they gave back in holding penalties?
    3. O line - I was prepared to be unimpressed. I was unimpressed. I thought they got to the second level only rarely, and there were TONS of missed assignments (like in the 4th quarter were they seemed to miss every LB blitz). This will be a work-in-progress all year and will undoubtedly cost us a number of games.
    4. For the most part I was pleased by our young dbs. Man they will be good in a year or two.
    5. I liked Huntley's attitude, if not his game at this point. He was good tonight, but he'll need to be much sharper going forward. His runs were hit and miss; he needs to learn when to tuck and run and when to stay in the pocket.
    6. We have a kicker! (But he's not the guy we started)
    7. Really liked J Johnson and Leki Fotu. Didn't see much from Tupai, but maybe I missed it.

Really excited to make it seven straight next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Quick thoughts from tonight:

1. Carrington. Real.
    2. Other wideouts - did they gain more total yards than they gave back in holding penalties?
    3. O line - I was prepared to be unimpressed. I was unimpressed. I thought they got to the second level only rarely, and there were TONS of missed assignments (like in the 4th quarter were they seemed to miss every LB blitz). This will be a work-in-progress all year and will undoubtedly cost us a number of games.
    4. For the most part I was pleased by our young dbs. Man they will be good in a year or two.
    5. I liked Huntley's attitude, if not his game at this point. He was good tonight, but he'll need to be much sharper going forward. His runs were hit and miss; he needs to learn when to tuck and run and when to stay in the pocket.
    6. We have a kicker! (But he's not the guy we started)
    7. Really liked J Johnson and Leki Fotu. Didn't see much from Tupai, but maybe I missed it.

Really excited to make it seven straight next week.
    But what about the linebackers?

The receivers can no longer be scapegoats. It's a strong group.

Here's one basic Ute fan's rundown.

I liked:

• The size of the crowd and our new seats on the West side

• Tyler Huntley's athleticism, the precision of his passing

• Zack Moss is a tough, bruising back, over 100 yards tonight -- also sounded good on the post-game show

• Kicking was really quite decent

• Carrington is a special player (and sounded great on the post-game show)

• We didn't try just to protect our lead

I didn't like:

• Our pass protection

• Only 1 sack, late in the game

• Only 1 pick, also late in the game

I hated:

• Penalties

• Apparent vulnerability to the blitz (Moss seemed bad at picking them up)

My reasonable expectation for the season: eight wins.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Huntley is going to be good. 70%+ completion percentage. Very impressed with his arm on the run. Kept his eyes up when running and made some great decisions after his first terrible one.

If he puts a little less on two early throws, he has two more passing TD's.

Instead he came up with almost 300 total yards and 3 TD's.

Not too bad for your first start.

Just saw that we were 7-7 in the red-zone tonight. That's a welcome stat. We also punted only once.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    But what about the linebackers?

The receivers can no longer be scapegoats. It's a strong group.
    Tough to judge them as they got zero action in the run game (they rarely got past the D-line). They were slightly overaggressive in taking risks out of their coverage assignments (Sunita was totally fooled by the play action pass for a TD, Blair had some overruns on coverage, Kavika looked solid to me), but we'll have to wait until next week to see how they do against a legit tight end and average RBs.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Just saw that we were 7-7 in the red-zone tonight. That's a welcome stat. We also punted only once.
    3 were FG's, which was a problem a year ago.

Last night showed why Huntley won the job. A friend of mine on staff said the reason that Huntley's running ability was important is that they were worried that the O line couldn't protect the qb. Also worried that Moss would turn out to be no Joe Williams. Said if they had last years o line and Joe W., Troy probably would have won the job.

I thought Huntley was great for his first game (despite overthrowing two touchdown passes to Carrington) and the right choice, and Moss was good enough (well see what he does against a pac 12 front seven). The o line? geez.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    3 were FG's, which was a problem a year ago.
    Glass more than half full! 4 TDs, 3 FGs. Typical for last would have been 4 FGs, 3 zilches.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Glass more than half full! 4 TDs, 3 FGs. Typical for last would have been 4 FGs, 3 zilches.

and on at least 1, probably 2 fg's, penalties took us out of td range (those two consecutive offensive p i calls that led to the 49 yd field goal). It wasnt an offensive breakdown, like the last series of Cal. That can be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    and on at least 1, probably 2 fg's, penalties took us out of td range (those two consecutive offensive p i calls that led to the 49 yd field goal). It wasnt an offensive breakdown, like the last series of Cal. That can be fixed.
    it was 2. Troy McCormick's td was called back for a bullshit holding.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Last night showed why Huntley won the job. A friend of mine on staff said the reason that Huntley's running ability was important is that they were worried that the O line couldn't protect the qb. Also worried that Moss would turn out to be no Joe Williams. Said if they had last years o line and Joe W., Troy probably would have won the job.

I thought Huntley was great for his first game (despite overthrowing two touchdown passes to Carrington) and the right choice, and Moss was good enough (well see what he does against a pac 12 front seven). The o line? geez.
    Nailed it, and although UND isn't reflective of what we'll see the rest of the year, our approach in these FCS games reflect what the staff thinks we're capable of. It's also a good barometer of what will happen the rest of the year. Take last year, for instance. Troy threw 35 passes in that game (more than half that number came in the first half), because we knew he needed the work and that the O-line would protect him. We also had big success going deep, with two plays over 50 yards.

This year? The O-line is a work in progress, so we need a QB that can extend drives with his legs. There's no way we game-plan for 18 QB runs against a FCS school, but that's what we need behind center -- a guy that is mobile and can run, and who is probably a little more accurate in the short game.

At worst, last night showed me we're treading water on offense (and let's be honest -- outside of the red zone, our offense was OK last year). It looked different, and in some ways, it was just as effective. But we need to be able to have success vertically. One pass play over 20 yards ain't cutting it against any level of opposition.

I was skeptical of the move to Huntley, but last night showed me our coaches are very skilled at making the most out of what they have. It was the right move. But true improvement from last year will only come as fast as the O-line will progress. For as much as we run, we have to be able to take deep shots downfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Things I'm interested in (in an otherwise uninteresting game):

1. How do the young dbs look? ND doesn't throw as much as a PAC-12 team, but I'm sure they will test the dbs. If they struggle, don't burn the house down, but it might be a long year in conference.
    2. Can the O-Line sustain pass protection? I think the young O-line is a big reason that Huntley won the job. Much like Taysom for BYU last year, he might not be the best passer but he can do other things when pass protection breaks down. I would be surprised if the O-line can gel this early, but I hope for some signs that it is coming.
    3. D-line depth: we have a great starting four, but behind them there is potential but little experience.
    4. Is this the year of the TE for Utah football, given that our two best returning pass catchers play TE? (NO, it's never the year for the TE in Utah football).
    5. Can Huntley stretch the field vertically? He will be dangerous if he can keep defenses honest with his arm. If he is a glorified RB, trouble.
    6. What will Zion's Bank do this year for in-between timeout entertainment?
    7. Young guys: Nacua, Tupai, J Johnson, etc. Lot's of hype; how do they look when they get actual game minutes?
    8. Do we have a kicker or do we decide to go for everything that is 4th and less than 20 inside the 30?
    9. What is it like not to have a RB that can take any carry to the house?
    10. FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swish!

I agree with everyone else. Seems clear that Huntley's legs had a lot to do with him winning the starting job. And that makes sense with this team.

Looks like we will have a lot of quick throws, roll-outs, zone reads, and designed QB runs. I wasn't too worried, but it is reassuring to see the RB get 20 carries.

Obviously, both Huntley and Moss will have a harder time against every other team on our schedule.

Any word on the Laufatasaga situation? Did anyone else get banged up?

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Any word on the Laufatasaga situation? Did anyone else get banged up?
    I think x-rays are for today. Whitt only discloses season-ending injuries, so no news would be good news.

I enjoyed the game, especially since I've been jonesing ever since basketball wheezed out in the NIT 5 months ago.

I mostly enjoyed watching Chase Hansen. I remember watching Penn State games and only watching what Sean Lee did - Hansen has the same effect on me - I like to watch him on every play, regardless of the play's action and outcome.

This team has flaws, like any college team, but there is some really impressive talent.

Finally, as a Big Sky homer, North Dakota is a pretty solid program. They would beat some FCS schools.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

We've already seen that Moss can move the ball against the PAC 12. He was a stellar freshman last year. But what are the odds that he'll get injured like last year? That's what I'm worried about. If he stays healthy, he'll be good enough or better than good enough.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo