Thread: Dealing with domestic terrorism

Dealing with domestic terrorism

I agree with this writer that the first step is admitting that it exists, and that it doesn't look like at all like what people think it does.

http://observer.com/2017/06/domestic...-shooting/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree.

The part of the article where experts on terrorism get angry when people try to define terrorism is interesting.

If terrorism involves *intent* to have an outsized impact, then maybe this disgruntled Bernie supporter wasn't actually a terrorist, but was just trying to exact revenge. (The result is terror, unquestionably) Put a different way, was John Wilkes Booth a terrorist? Or just trying to avenge Lincoln's unforgivable offense against the South?

Political violence is a really serious problem, no matter.

Violence is violence, and dead is dead. Fortunately, Scalise is going to survive.... and, unfortunately, part of our population is focused on how the officer who killed Philander Castile was just acquitted.

Maybe the disturbing thing is both stories are quickly lost in our big nation, where in a period where we're not at war, life seems to be getting cheaper.

Las Vegas mass shooting - don't know (yet) what motivated the shooter, but "terror" is unquestionably a major byproduct. (Too much to speculate on, which is a pointless exercise, anyway.)

One thing this will clearly do is put a dent into Las Vegas tourism, which is significantly dependent upon people from other nations. The common international viewpoint of the US as essentially "irrational" when it comes to guns, the 2nd Amendment, etc, will be reinforced.

How big - and for how long - that dent exists is another thing.

(Then again, gambling itself is irrational, so a lot of the folks who are prone to want to visit Las Vegas from other nations aren't leading with their pre-frontal cortex, to begin with. Their loved ones might hold them back, however. Seeing the short & long term impact on international tourism to Vegas will be interesting. Plenty of other things go do there, and it's not like people don't go to France or the UK anymore.)

Hopefully the gunman wasn't much more "successful"...
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 10-02-2017 at 07:41 AM.

I was in the Las Vegas airport yesterday while all this was happening. Sobering. We spent the morning calling everyone we know in LV and making sure they were OK. Many of them said this event was the kind of thing they would have attended, but for one reason or another they didn't go to this one.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was in the Las Vegas airport yesterday while all this was happening. Sobering. We spent the morning calling everyone we know in LV and making sure they were OK. Many of them said this event was the kind of thing they would have attended, but for one reason or another they didn't go to this one.
    Everyone you know?! 😬

But yeah. Crazy night. My wife had spent most of yesterday evening at UMC, our only Trauma Center. She’s currently finishing up her nursing degree and she spends time in UMC as one of her Med Surg clinical. She typically goes in Monday afternoons, so it will be interesting to see if they tell her to come in.

So far, I don’t know of anyone that I know directly who was there last night. But had a coworker attend Friday and Saturday with family who had come into town for the event. The family was there last night and witnessed horrible things. Felt weird getting ready for work this morning. Wasn’t sure if that’s what people do in such aftermath. Had a construction contractor kick off meeting at dawn behind Sam Boyd Stadium. (Overheard a mass shooting joke, so I guess not too soon.) I love how much the Strip sparkles at sunrise. Today was no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Everyone you know?!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had seen your Facebook post and knew you were OK.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

CNN has an interview with his brother who seems genuinely shocked by all of this. Said he moved his brother and all he had was a couple of handguns and a long gun that he had in a safe. The shooter had apparently called him last week to see how his 90yo mom was doing (she had lost power for 5 days as a resident of FL due to Irma). Doesn't sound like he was aware of any issues, or mental illness.

I feel bad for his brother, it seemed almost like if one of my brothers went and did this. Either he is a great actor or he really didn't see this coming at all.

Maybe we'll find out more about motive, but it makes you wonder what comes over someone's heart to do such a terrible thing.

This is just interesting.

Based on the Early Reports, The Las Vegas Shooting Is Very, Very Strange

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...y-very-strange

--Yeats

This is just interesting.

Based on the Early Reports, The Las Vegas Shooting Is Very, Very Strange

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...y-very-strange
    I think he’s overstating how hard it would be to obtain the weapons.

The paperwork can be a pain, but for someone who has no red flags there are many who will help with it.

The $200 tax stamp for a automatic weapon (or short barrel rifle or suppressor) isn’t that expensive.

Now I’ve seen some of the video (I happen to be in a training today so I’m with a lot of police and military folks) and it certainly sounds like it’s automatic fire at times, however I know how fast I can shoot a handgun or rifle and how that can sound very similar to automatic weapon fire.

It’s possible he had semi automatic rifles with 100 round drum magazines, you can empty that fairly quickly and it’ll sound similar.

It’s also possible to modify certain semi automatic weapons, some more easily than others.

And of course there’s the possibility of buying something illegally.

It’ll be interesting to see what Metro and the FBI found. It’s certainly a somewhat unique shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I think he’s overstating how hard it would be to obtain the weapons.

The paperwork can be a pain, but for someone who has no red flags there are many who will help with it.

The $200 tax stamp for a automatic weapon (or short barrel rifle or suppressor) isn’t that expensive.

Now I’ve seen some of the video (I happen to be in a training today so I’m with a lot of police and military folks) and it certainly sounds like it’s automatic fire at times, however I know how fast I can shoot a handgun or rifle and how that can sound very similar to automatic weapon fire.

It’s possible he had semi automatic rifles with 100 round drum magazines, you can empty that fairly quickly and it’ll sound similar.

It’s also possible to modify certain semi automatic weapons, some more easily than others.

And of course there’s the possibility of buying something illegally.

It’ll be interesting to see what Metro and the FBI found. It’s certainly a somewhat unique shooting.

Thanks for the info. I'm impressed by the amount of time and meticulous planning that the shooter must have put into this.

--Yeats

It's 6:40 am, and there is a line out the door and around the block. People waiting to donate blood at United Blood Services. #RJ

6:42 AM - 2 Oct 2017

The latest indicates Home modifications are likely responsible for any automatic weapons.

The suspect was, by his brother’s statements, worth millions and could buy whatever he wanted. He routinely gambled $100 a hand.

Calibers rumored to have been found are .223 (also known as 5.56mm) AR-15 or M-16 round and .308, a common sniper rifle round which is also similar to a 7.62mm which is the AK-47 round.

It appears most of his guns were likely purchased at a pawn shop.

Last edited by Diehard Ute; 10-02-2017 at 04:00 PM.

It appears most of his guns were likely purchased at a pawn shop.
    Apparently one named Guitars and Guns.

That is so Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Apparently one named Guitars and Guns.

That is so Las Vegas.
    Mesquite actually.

I took a screen shot on my phone from last night’s first briefing. I was too slow to catch the Metro officer. It was a strategic location with Mandalay Bay as a backdrop, but I wonder if they caught the Gun Show billboard over the other shoulder?

So someone got their hands on photos from the shooters room, and leaked them, so we know some of the story.

Reports now are 23 guns. At least 4 were Daniel Defense DDM4 variants. These are high end AR-15 M4’s

Several FN AR-15’s, a Colt AR-15, at least one AK-47 and many others.

Anywhere from 2-12 of the rifles had “bump stocks”. This device is perfectly legal. It basically goes over the stock of a gun and down to the trigger finger. The device takes the recoil and puts it into the device, which in turn pulls the shooters finger firing the gun. After pushing the barrel forward the first time the gun basically keeps firing until bolt lock back. Technically the finger pulls the trigger each time, thus it’s still semi automatic, yet it fires nearly as fast as an automatic.

Some rifles were equipped its long range scopes. At least one other had a holographic sight. This is an electronic sight which allows for quick aiming (no magnification)

One of the pictures shows magazines neatly stacked.

Reports say he took 10 suitcases to the large double bedroom suite over a period of time. The suitcases contained the weapons and ammo.

There are reports he originally planned this for a downtown Las Vegas festival 2 weeks ago but was unable to get the rooms he wanted

So someone got their hands on photos from the shooters room, and leaked them, so we know some of the story.

Reports now are 23 guns. At least 4 were Daniel Defense DDM4 variants. These are high end AR-15 M4’s

Several FN AR-15’s, a Colt AR-15, at least one AK-47 and many others.

Anywhere from 2-12 of the rifles had “bump stocks”. This device is perfectly legal. It basically goes over the stock of a gun and down to the trigger finger. The device takes the recoil and puts it into the device, which in turn pulls the shooters finger firing the gun. After pushing the barrel forward the first time the gun basically keeps firing until bolt lock back. Technically the finger pulls the trigger each time, thus it’s still semi automatic, yet it fires nearly as fast as an automatic.

Some rifles were equipped its long range scopes. At least one other had a holographic sight. This is an electronic sight which allows for quick aiming (no magnification)

One of the pictures shows magazines neatly stacked.

Reports say he took 10 suitcases to the large double bedroom suite over a period of time. The suitcases contained the weapons and ammo.

There are reports he originally planned this for a downtown Las Vegas festival 2 weeks ago but was unable to get the rooms he wanted
    This is sheer insanity, "perfectly legal", amplified by extreme "reverence" for a single part of the Constitution.

This is like twisting the First Amendment, emphasizing "free speech", using a massively amplified sonic cannon (like the Navy uses to subdue pirates off Somalia) and occasionally somebody goes off their rocker and blasts words or poetry or harmonica music so powerfully it cracks walls, break eardrums, etc.

Then if somebody suggests it's out of control, the extremists scream "free speech! free speech! free speech!" and people start accumulating more & more sonic cannons.

Who seriously thinks the Founding Fathers would be OK with bumper stocks, holographic sites, and 100 round magazines? Even Scalia, the originalist purist, who said the Founders meant "any weapon you can carry on your shoulder", thought there might be an exception for Stinger missiles.

If/when the laser guns the Navy is getting ready to deploy to protect carriers from inbound maneuverable anti-ship missiles get miniaturized, and a shooter could safely, quietly, extremely accurately "plink" people from 5-10 miles away... maybe then the entire dynamic will be so different, we can have a rational conversation about what the limits should be.

Until then, expect the sales of bumper stocks to skyrocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    This is sheer insanity, "perfectly legal", amplified by extreme "reverence" for a single part of the Constitution.

This is like twisting the First Amendment, emphasizing "free speech", using a massively amplified sonic cannon (like the Navy uses to subdue pirates off Somalia) and occasionally somebody goes off their rocker and blasts words or poetry or harmonica music so powerfully it cracks walls, break eardrums, etc.

Then if somebody suggests it's out of control, the extremists scream "free speech! free speech! free speech!" and people start accumulating more & more sonic cannons.

Who seriously thinks the Founding Fathers would be OK with bumper stocks, holographic sites, and 100 round magazines? Even Scalia, the originalist purist, who said the Founders meant "any weapon you can carry on your shoulder", thought there might be an exception for Stinger missiles.

If/when the laser guns the Navy is getting ready to deploy to protect carriers from inbound maneuverable anti-ship missiles get miniaturized, and a shooter could safely, quietly, extremely accurately "plink" people from 5-10 miles away... maybe then the entire dynamic will be so different, we can have a rational conversation about what the limits should be.

I'm a Lib. I don't own guns. I have shot guns for recreation on occasion. I believe reasonable changes can be made to gun laws that do not violate the 2nd Amendment and may be able to reduce some of the carnage we now see in the US every couple of months. But, I have 0 expectation or hope that the Republicans in Congress will ever do anything to limit the guns or gun accessories people can buy. They will never do anything to require universal licensing or registration of weapons owned or possessed by gun owners. I don't believe they actually believe that legislation requiring licensing and registration or limiting the types of firearms and accessories people can buy is a violation of the 2nd Amendment. I believe they are simply bought and paid for by the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

So uh... how would an average citizen get one of these sonic cannons, just for hobbyists?

That is actually one of the best (and funniest) analogies I’ve heard yet regarding the gun debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    So uh... how would an average citizen get one of these sonic cannons, just for hobbyists?

That is actually one of the best (and funniest) analogies I’ve heard yet regarding the gun debate.
    I was just recalling the Navy blasting concentrated, focused sonic cannons at pirates to disorient them, but it's a pretty broad field of weapons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weapon

Think of "War of the Worlds" where the massive space alien spiders were getting people to run for their lives, in part, by those awful blasts of noise.

Civilian Applications for Sonic Cannons:

I was thinking of a two phase attack mode, where you use the jet engine exhaust-level "mode" to break out windows, then follow that up with Lawrence Welk music, or the old style whiny country music, or bagpipe music, and you'd have people running from their homes, checkbooks in hand, to make it stop.

Retail is being hammered by Amazon? Pfft. Bring back the door-to-door Fuller Brush salesman, just use a clandestine vehicle with a sonic cannon to drive by, selectively "soften up" potential customers, who would be more than compliant, once the sales team arrives:

"Mrs. Smith, I really can't take your cat as payment for these brushes, but the family jewelry... you know, maybe we can bring in our partners at ACME Pawns, and before long your house will be cleaner than you even imagined. Wait... your 15 year old daughter wants to leave and join us? Really? Uhhh... well... wowser, let me call my VP of Sales and tell him, 'Door to Door is BACK!' "
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 10-05-2017 at 06:55 AM.

I think the majority of Americans see events like this and think, "We need to do something to make 'guns of mass destruction' less easy for the wrong people to get." The question is what is that something?

The debate is so emotionally charged that rational action is nearly impossible. I have friends who think the Second Amendment ought to be repealed. That won't happen in the lifetime of any of us, if it ever does happen. On the other end of the spectrum I know people who oppose any restriction on gun ownership. They fear the slippery slope, of course. The people on the pro-gun control extreme don't help matters when they take the very position that anti-gun control opponents fear: Let's be like Australia or the UK. (I don't own a gun, BTW, and I don't sympathize with or belong to the NRA.)

One real possibility is that the SCOTUS will interpret the Second Amendment in a a way that narrows it. As a conservative, I oppose that as much as my liberal friends here probably think that is a great idea. It will just make matters worse if the SCOTUS does that. Policy decisions like this one need to be battled out in the legislative branch, with a compromise solution reached; but in this case it's hard to be optimistic about that at all. I don't think that's because of NRA donations, it's because so many Americans are so passionate about the issue.

--Yeats

I think the majority of Americans see events like this and think, "We need to do something to make 'guns of mass destruction' less easy for the wrong people to get." The question is what is that something?

The debate is so emotionally charged that rational action is nearly impossible. I have friends who think the Second Amendment ought to be repealed. That won't happen in the lifetime of any of us, if it ever does happen. On the other end of the spectrum I know people who oppose any restriction on gun ownership. They fear the slippery slope, of course. The people on the pro-gun control extreme don't help matters when they take the very position that anti-gun control opponents fear: Let's be like Australia or the UK. (I don't own a gun, BTW, and I don't sympathize with or belong to the NRA.)

One real possibility is that the SCOTUS will interpret the Second Amendment in a a way that narrows it. As a conservative, I oppose that as much as my liberal friends here probably think that is a great idea. It will just make matters worse if the SCOTUS does that. Policy decisions like this one need to be battled out in the legislative branch, with a compromise solution reached; but in this case it's hard to be optimistic about that at all. I don't think that's because of NRA donations, it's because so many Americans are so passionate about the issue.
    I thought Douthat's idea in the NYT made sense - automatic weapons are already illegal, so let's outlaw the little things that turn semiautomatic weapons into automatic weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I thought Douthat's idea in the NYT made sense - automatic weapons are already illegal, so let's outlaw the little things that turn semiautomatic weapons into automatic weapons.
    A very reasonable idea. Here's a conservative in today's NY Times, with a sweeping proposal and some advice to liberals. He’s going to get hate mail from gun rights advocates:

Repeal the Second Amendment

Last edited by LA Ute; 10-05-2017 at 11:23 AM.

--Yeats

This is quite interesting.

Why The Vegas Shooting Happened, and Why Men Keep Doing This

Excerpt:

I’ll never forget April 20th, 1999.
    I was 12 years old, sitting in art class in middle school. We were playing with clay and making sculptures.
    Suddenly, our principal came on over the PA. Her voice trembled.
    “I have an important announcement to make. All teachers and students need to hear this. I will wait 60 seconds for everyone to be completely silent.”
    The next minute was eerie. My friends and I exchanged confused looks, and nervously laughed. Our teacher held her finger to her lips. Silence.
    The principal’s voice came back onto the PA:
    “There is a shooting at Columbine high school. All students are to go home immediately.”
    Columbine was 15 minutes away from us.
    I remember taking the bus home, and walking into my house. My mom turned on the news. I recognized that fence. We’ve driven by that fence.
    My mom knew the teacher. Dave Sanders.She’d substituted with him at Columbine.

In the last 18 years, we Americans have experienced too many of these shootings. And I want to share a few of my thoughts on why I think they keep happening.
    By the way, this isn’t a political post about guns, or the media. It’s a post about mental health.
    Over the past few years, I’ve found myself in the mental health space. And I’ve learned a lot about mental illness. Particularly that men in the United States REALLY struggle in this realm, and have very little support.
    I believe mental illness is the single greatest health crisis we will face in our lifetimes. Mental illness affects every single person on the planet, whether we are personally ill or not.
    If we have a better understanding of what causes mental illness, we don’t have to be so afraid. We can take better care of each other, and prevent these tragedies from happening.
    Sadly, most Americans still fail to address mental illness as a massive problem. It’s still taboo, still stigmatized. Articles like this fundamentally miss the point. Mental illness is not just schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression — it’s an inability to have healthy connections with ourselves and others.
    I was watching Jimmy Kimmel’s impassioned, raw speech last night about the Vegas shootings. Like Jimmy, I felt sick and heartbroken by the tragedy. But something he said stood out to me:
    “There’s probably no way to ever know why a human being could do something like this to other human beings.”
    Sadly, researchers know exactly why human beings do things like this.
    There are clear reasons. And they are preventable....

https://byrslf.co/thoughts-on-the-ve...g-14af397cee2c

--Yeats

This is quite interesting.

Why The Vegas Shooting Happened, and Why Men Keep Doing This

https://byrslf.co/thoughts-on-the-ve...g-14af397cee2c
    I am not sure this explains much. Many many men are lonely, dont play much, and dont have many close connections, but they dont commit mass murder. What triggers someone to do what this guy did--so meticulously planned over such a long time? its not momentary rage; he is not acting out of emotion in the moment. I just dont know what explains that.