Thread: SLC Throws Ute's Stadium Curve

SLC Throws Ute's Stadium Curve

The city doesn't want to play ball with a new stadium. Chris Hill says they'll build it anyway, just in a less favorable orientation.

Ironically if the city had played ball the U would have had to go through zoning hearings, but now the city has no way to stop the U's plan.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5457663-1...-university-of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The city doesn't want to play ball with a new stadium. Chris Hill says they'll build it anyway, just in a less favorable orientation.

Ironically if the city had played ball the U would have had to go through zoning hearings, but now the city has no way to stop the U's plan.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5457663-1...-university-of

The stadium they will build will be less desirable from the U's standpoint and create more danger of foul balls on Guardsman and more direct noise for the autism school than the one the neighbors and school opposed. Maybe the city believed if they refused, the U would build at another location.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The stadium they will build will be less desirable from the U's standpoint and create more danger of foul balls on Guardsman and more direct noise for the autism school than the one the neighbors and school opposed. Maybe the city believed if they refused, the U would build at another location.
    Sometimes the NIMBY approach is counter-productive. This could also be a ploy by the U. We'll see.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post

The residents over there complain about everything. They didnt want Guardman narrowed, they didnt want the tennis center or the football facility or the county swimming and skating facility. or Rowland hall or the autism school. mostly it is about traffic, but a big part of the complaint about the football, tennis, and county facilities was that it blocked views of the mountains. The U isn't subject to local zoning, and told them to pound sand. the incremental traffic created by a baseball field is minimal, and it is mostly off hours. The U will put the filed there; it causes less disruption there than anyplace else.

I ride my bike to the county facility a lot, and when riding by the other night thought that foul balls into and across the street are going to be a real problem. It will require a very high fence.
    Last edited by concerned; 06-30-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The residents over there complain about everything. They didnt want Guardman narrowed, they didnt want the tennis center or the football facility or the county swimming and skating facility. or Rowland hall or the autism school. mostly it is about traffic, but a big part of the complaint about the football, tennis, and county facilities was that it blocked views of the mountains. The U isn't subject to local zoning, and told them to pound sand. the incremental traffic created by a baseball field is minimal, and it is mostly off hours. The U will put the filed there; it causes less disruption there than anyplace else.

I ride my bike to the county facility a lot, and when riding by the other night thought that foul balls into and across the street are going to be a real problem. It will require a very high fence.
    I built the current field. We smashed it in there (it was designed before I arrived) but without a high fence. They've since added a fence because of the foul ball issue.

And you're certainly right, that area does tend to gripe about that kind of stuff.

I chuckle at their lack of "open space". They have two more parks east of there, This Is The Place, Emigration Canyon and the open space that's now protected behind research park and the U. Many seem to want the convenience of the city with the lifestyle of a rural area. Doesn't work that way folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I built the current field. We smashed it in there (it was designed before I arrived) but without a high fence. They've since added a fence because of the foul ball issue.

And you're certainly right, that area does tend to gripe about that kind of stuff.

I chuckle at their lack of "open space". They have two more parks east of there, This Is The Place, Emigration Canyon and the open space that's now protected behind research park and the U. Many seem to want the convenience of the city with the lifestyle of a rural area. Doesn't work that way folks.

I used to laugh at the fact that a lot of the complainers live on Sunnyside, a state highway and one of the busiest roads in the city. The fence there now isn't going to be tall enough, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I used to laugh at the fact that a lot of the complainers live on Sunnyside, a state highway and one of the busiest roads in the city. The fence there now isn't going to be tall enough, IMHO.
    Oh it won't be. They're going to have to push that fence closer to the road most likely, as there's no foul territory down right field as it is now.

I'll be interested to see what they do. The actual playing surface there is top notch. We used the same infield, warning track and mound mixes the Bees had at (insert most recent name of Dirks Field here) the time. And their former groundskeeper taught me how to maintain an infield. (The grass was easy, the dirt was new to me).

They just didn't have enough space (or money) to really do it right. Curious how they'll fix problem 1. Problem 2 seems to be solved